PDA

View Full Version : Longevity of the .50 Beowulf

SanSacto
03-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Hello guys, I am having a tough time deciding on my second build. I almost have my first build complete, a Stag Arms M4 with A3 upper. For my second build I do not want the standard .223/5.56mm. I really love the whole idea of the .50 Beowulf, but I am concerned about the longevity of an investment like that. Is the Beowulf cartridge expected to be available far ahead in the future? Compared to other large caliber uppers currently available will the .50 Beowulf be around for a while?

aplinker
03-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Commercial cartridges of fringe cartridges are always a big maybe. If you don't reload, don't buy abnormal cartridges. Bullets will be available forever.

At $1+/rd, you're looking to save quite a bit even just handloading on a single press.

gosparx
03-13-2008, 10:56 PM
To the best of my knowlege, the only company making ammo for the Beowulf is Alexander Arms... who make the Beowulf. Not sure what the really means with regards to the availabiilty of ammo down the road, but it when lots of different companies start making a type of ammo, that generally is a better sign then just the one.

That is one reason I bought a bunch of ammo from Alexander Arms and plan on reloading. Besides saving money, it also means that I will have ammo for a while if the ammo goes out of production. Also right now Alexander Arms is pretty backed up on guns and ammo.

That said, I LOVE my Beowulf! :43:

It kicks like a mule, but I just added a 1" rubber pad to the butt so that should help... I hope!!

Spyder
03-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Bill Alexander, founder of Alexander Arms, is over on .50beowulf.com and has said that there are other major ammo manufacturers in the works.

Definitely a round that is going to stick around. Demand is so high right now that it is tough to keep up with in a small organization. I'd definitely go with it, as its a helluva good time. AA is now even offering threaded barrel uppers so that the permanent muzzle brake like I and probably gosparx above me are stuck with can be removed or changed should we want to do a different foregrip or gasblock or what have you.

Buy it, build it, LOVE it.

BTW, I'm the same name over on 50beowulf.com. Good guys over there that will be extremely helpful with any questions you may have about the round, reloading, hunting with it, longevity or any other stuff.

aplinker
03-13-2008, 11:59 PM
I can attest his MB above is NOT permanent. :D

Also, the kick isn't that bad. It's like 308 or 12ga.

Bill Alexander, founder of Alexander Arms, is over on .50beowulf.com and has said that there are other major ammo manufacturers in the works.

Definitely a round that is going to stick around. Demand is so high right now that it is tough to keep up with in a small organization. I'd definitely go with it, as its a helluva good time. AA is now even offering threaded barrel uppers so that the permanent muzzle brake like I and probably gosparx above me are stuck with can be removed or changed should we want to do a different foregrip or gasblock or what have you.

Buy it, build it, LOVE it.

BTW, I'm the same name over on 50beowulf.com. Good guys over there that will be extremely helpful with any questions you may have about the round, reloading, hunting with it, longevity or any other stuff.

gosparx
03-14-2008, 12:19 AM
I can attest his MB above is NOT permanent. :D

For anyone who cares...

My upper originally came without a muzzle break. One of the first things I did was order one from AA (very glad to hear that new stuff is coming out for this gun!!!). When the brake came, it also came with very specific instructions on how to mount it, pretty much permanently, to the gun.

Since I was still in the process of picking out a handguard and some other stuff I didn't like the idea of permanently mounting the brake to the gun.

SO... I didn't follow their directions and thought that I could mount the brake on "firm enough" to shoot the gun, but still be able to remove it if/when I needed to...

Well, as uclaplinker has pointed out... within the first 10 shots the brake went missing!! Finally found it about 40 feet from where we were shooting. (Don't know if it flew that far or rolled that far??)

I was going to mount the brake on 'properly' tonight but now that it sounds like other options are coming... and the fact that I can't find where I put the damn thing after putting it 'some place safe so I wouldn't lose it'... it looks like I may be waiting until some of these 3rd party goodies hit the shelves.

And true... it doesn't kick that bad, but I would prefer if it just went BANG and didn't hurt at all!! (which is completely possible with the right goodies inside and outside the gun!)

Spyder
03-14-2008, 8:23 AM
Believe me...if it is factory mounted or if it is mounted exactly the way the instructions say, it is, for all intents and purposes, permanently attached. It damned near has to cut off on a lathe or with a hacksaw and have the crown redone.

But, the new ones with threaded muzzles are impressively priced and word on the street is that there are subsonic loads being developed for it...and for those of us planning on leaving California at some point, that means a suppressed .50! *grin*

wilit
03-14-2008, 7:49 PM
Notime2shoot put in an order for 60 rounds from AA around mid-August 2007. He received his order a few days before the last Shoot-N-Que which was November 25th. About 3 months. If you don't have a reloading setup, get one if you plan on owning a .50 Beowulf. Ammo is non-existent in local stores.

gosparx
03-14-2008, 8:31 PM
Notime2shoot put in an order for 60 rounds from AA around mid-August 2007. He received his order a few days before the last Shoot-N-Que which was November 25th. About 3 months. If you don't have a reloading setup, get one if you plan on owning a .50 Beowulf. Ammo is non-existent in local stores.

It is (was?) possible to find Beowulf ammo in a few stores. While I was waiting for the ammo I had ordered from AA I emailed them and asked if they could suggest a few places that might have ammo and they sent me the contact info for a few stores:

Chester Arms
603-235-4169

Umlaut Arms
603-369-9146

SOG Armory
281-568-5685

Ammo Brothers
562-865-3980

I don't know if they still have any ammo, but I bought a bunch from Ammo Brothers.

Spyder
03-16-2008, 12:45 AM
GO TO .50BEOWULF.COM! All yr. questions will be answered and Lars (Umlaut Arms) usually has ammo in stock! I called one day and bought an entire case of it, no questions asked. The price is right too, not the super inflated prices you see of Beo ammo everywhere else...