PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: bounty hunters and the KT su-16ca

SR-60
03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
I was channel-surfing this evening when I came across a show called "Fugitivos de la ley" on one of the Spanish channels (I think it was Azteca America). I'm guessing that it is a show about bounty hunters. Anyway, the group of about 3 or 4 bounty hunters was moving in on a mobile home or RV of some sort when I noticed one of them was carrying a su-16ca.

I don't personally own a su-16CA so I can't say that it would be my choice for social work. Based on what I have read here I take it that, given a choice, it would probably not be the first rifle chosen by many Calgunners for this this sort of work. But then again, if licensed bounty hunters (or bail enforcement officers) are treated as regular private citizens, I guess they don't have a lot of choices when it comes to long arms. At least the other guy with the AR and the guy with the su-16ca can share mags if needed.

I have seen other members of the group with an AR, a pump shotgun, and Glocks.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7442/img3202od5.jpg
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4708/img3200dt4.jpg

aplinker
03-13-2008, 11:02 PM
yikes... this is one case I'd rather run a mini... or a shotgun. Why in the hell do BH need a rifle? Are they engagiing beyond 30yds?

WokMaster1
03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
2nd pix looks like the lady is pointing her Glock at the guy's head.:eek:

skeetskeet
03-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Need more pix of that ladies butt and face

Bizcuits
03-13-2008, 11:11 PM
yikes... this is one case I'd rather run a mini... or a shotgun. Why in the hell do BH need a rifle? Are they engagiing beyond 30yds?

Surprisingly, bad guys who run, don't always want to go back to prison or jail. :eek:

Army
03-14-2008, 12:41 AM
...with her finger on the trigger.

aplinker
03-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Surprisingly, bad guys who run, don't always want to go back to prison or jail. :eek:

Ummm... again, why are they engaging beyond 30yds? Time to call the REAL law enforcement.

DedEye
03-14-2008, 1:35 AM

Looks like it's just an illusion of depth.

M1A configured for CQ (Socom of some variety) would by my choice in that situation.

fireblast713
03-14-2008, 1:48 AM
I can't imagine that bounty hunting is such a well paying job as to leave them w/ enough money to equip everyone with an AR, plus the Keltec folds up which is probably a + for them. I doubt they take heavy rifle fire or put the gun in a situation where it's unreliable nature would become obvious. They'd probably be just as well off w/ a pistol caliber based carbine.

Stanze
03-14-2008, 2:12 AM
Ummm... again, why are they engaging beyond 30yds? Time to call the REAL law enforcement.

In the event that the fugitive shoots back; a call to 911 screaming, "Officer DOWN! Officer DOWN!" will usually get every LEO in the area to show up ASAP.

I can't imagine that bounty hunting is such a well paying job as to leave them w/ enough money to equip everyone with an AR, plus the Keltec folds up which is probably a + for them. I doubt they take heavy rifle fire or put the gun in a situation where it's unreliable nature would become obvious. They'd probably be just as well off w/ a pistol caliber based carbine.

Bounty Hunting takes some cajones, but it does pay good. The bounty hunter's fee is usually 10% of the bail. I've seen checks for $10,000 for one days work. Standard.

In CA it's perfectly legal to be armed in making a citizen's arrest.

The bounty hunters I've spoke to usually go for non-violent bail jumpers. They usually make their arrests at 3-4AM. "No man wants to fight when he's riled up out of bed with his pants off.":D

PonchoTA
03-14-2008, 2:56 AM
...with her finger on the trigger.
and NOT looking downrange where her gun is pointed. :(

simonov
03-14-2008, 7:03 AM

Normally I agree with posts like this, but in Mexico and South America the bad guys they are likely to engage are pretty damned bad. They probably engage as far away as possible.

As for why a Keltec, the rifle, as much as I dislike it, has some advantages in field work. It is lightweight and I guess being able to fold up is useful to some people. But keep in mind many countries have laws concerning the ability of civilians to possess military arms, that is, guns or calibers that are used by the military. For example, in a lot of places it is illegal for civilians to possess, say, a pistol chambering 9mm, but another "non-military" cartridge would be okay. Maybe these folks simply cannot legally get their hands on an AR as it is a "military pattern" rifle.

And finally, the Keltec is cheap. That counts for a lot in the Third World.

SR-60
03-14-2008, 7:04 AM
Are bounty hunters treated the same as John Q. Public in regards to acquiring firearms? I mean a bounty hunter could not acquire an un-neutered AR and claim it for use for his profession could he?

In a different episode a few weeks ago I think I saw the female bounty hunter carrying a hi-point carbine. I didn't get a good look at it but it was one ugly-looking thing (the carbine I mean :))

I don't normally watch the show since it's in spanish, but will watch certain segments if they have their weapons out.

1lostinspace
03-14-2008, 7:12 AM
My Kel tec broke in half one day! then I had FTE over and over even after taking a chamber brush to it, broken firring pins,extractors, you name it ,I sent back 5 times and got my self an AR.
I think they are the biggest POS I have ever owned.

highspeed11
03-14-2008, 7:21 AM
Who needs a gun when bounty huntin' ?

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Dog-Bounty-Hunter-tv-12.jpg

packnrat
03-14-2008, 7:39 AM
Who needs a gun when bounty huntin' ?

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Dog-Bounty-Hunter-tv-12.jpg

can you say show boating primadonna.

but i would not want to be on his bad side.:eek:

:TFH:

simonov
03-14-2008, 7:41 AM
Are bounty hunters treated the same as John Q. Public in regards to acquiring firearms? I mean a bounty hunter could not acquire an un-neutered AR and claim it for use for his profession could he?

You're asking in case there are Calgunners well-versed in Mexican firearms laws?

In a different episode a few weeks ago I think I saw the female bounty hunter carrying a hi-point carbine.

It's beginning to look like there is a Mexican law that says civilians can possess semi-auto rilfes only if they are crap.

Chunky_lover
03-14-2008, 7:41 AM
The second photo shows a california license plate, can bounty hunters have high cap mags, the photo shows one.

CaptMike
03-14-2008, 7:45 AM
here is the show on youtube. enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYV-UlsscQ

SamIAm
03-14-2008, 8:03 AM
Here's a Google translation about the show. Looks like it's shot in the U.S.

Produced from the city of Los Angeles, based on real-life cases that have occurred throughout the United States.

WallySparx
03-14-2008, 8:03 AM
i was flipping channels and ran into this before; i think it was on channel 52 for you non-cable watchers in la county. thing is, the bounty hunters were speaking in english (w/ spanish subtitles), and the narrator spoke in spanish, so it was entertaining enough.

11Z50
03-14-2008, 8:27 AM
Some background:

"Bounty Hunters" or Bail Enforcement Agents are a rather special class of private citizens. Their authority stems from the 8th amendment to the US Constitution and in the PRK, PC 1301. While working, they may do things even the cops can't do. When after a bail jumper they may kick in doors, arrest those who impede their work, and use that force necessary, to include deadly force, to effect an arrest. They can be armed, but local laws do apply. In CA I believe they must have completed a POST-certified Academy. (the agents I know are all ex-cops) They are regulated individually by the state, but must operate under a licensed Bond Operator. Bounty hunting is very dangerous, and while it can be lucrative, it's hit and miss. Private investigators often work directly with them in locating jumpers.

As for the Kel-tec issue,

1) While there is probably not a need to engage at more than 30 yards, the suspect may be armed, behind cover, or wearing body armor. At close range you would need more than a pistol.

2) While the Kel-tec is not a battle rifle, and a M-4 is a far better choice, it is what was available. Bounty hunters, Private Investigators and Security Guards are not exempt from our lovely state's draconian firearms law, and have to use what they can get. I see nothing wrong with using the SU-16 for such work, and would choose it over a Mini-14. It is light, easily stored, and uses M-16 mags. Considering in this application it is insurance rather than a primary battlefield weapon, it'll do. I personally prefer shotguns for this type of use, but I see no issue with using the Kel-tec, provided the operator is well-trained.

3) Since this incident was probably intended to be filmed it was probably dramatized a bit.

JagerTroop
03-14-2008, 9:23 AM
Let me tell you this... being a Bail Recovery Agent sucks @$s! I gave bounty hunting a shot about 10 years ago. It's about 70% - sitting in your car 100yrds away from your skip's possible residence, usually in some gang infested neighborhood (compton, east LA, hawthorn, etc.). 25% - sifting through files and waiting in line at the courthouse. That leaves a whopping 5% for some good ol fashioned action... which is usually uneventful.

The money can be good, but it's sporadic. If you want to experience bounty hunting, work a normal 9 to 5, then drive to watts and sit in your car all night. Then on payday, cash your paycheck and spend it all on scratchers/lottery tickets. You may come out with 10-20 grand, or you may get nothin!

The only cool thing about bail recovery, is, from the moment you leave the house, til the moment you get home, if you're "on the job" you can carry concealed :) under pc12031.k Nothing in this section is intended to preclude the carrying of a loaded firearm by any person while engaged in the act of making
or attempting to make a lawful arrest.