PDA

View Full Version : non rotation pins

scfast
03-13-2008, 5:01 PM
I was thinking about picking up a kns non rotation pin set and was wondering what you guys thought about them and if it is a worthwhile buy.

DedEye
03-13-2008, 5:05 PM
Not really worth the money.
Some people like the looks of them and get them for that reason. They'd only really be useful on a FA weapon, and even that's arguable.

fairfaxjim
03-13-2008, 5:05 PM
Are you having trouble with pins coming out? If so, have you checked the springs to make sure they are in correctly? If both are yes, they will solve the problem - actually they just make it go away, it isn't really solved.

If no, do you have $30 burning a hole in your pocket, or do you just think they look cool? If either one of those is yes, they will solve the $30 in your pocket problem, and will look cool if you think so. Otherwise, save your $.

aplinker
03-13-2008, 5:11 PM
I bought a set because an LPK I had didn't have both trigger pins and the shop I hit only had these.

I can say with 100% certainly they work as well as standard trigger pins :D

They're for full auto guys who create oblong holes in their $3k lowers with use

bohoki
03-13-2008, 5:23 PM
i bought the anti walk pins from bushmaster the little e-clips kinda look cheasy but i feel more secure while bumping

scfast
03-13-2008, 5:24 PM
My trigger pin has started to pop out a little once or twice and i sure do see a lot of semi auto's w them, they do look cool and $30 dollars is about my monthly allowance soooo.

scfast
03-13-2008, 5:26 PM
i bought the anti walk pins from bushmaster the little e-clips kinda look cheasy but i feel more secure while bumpingE-clips is your gun an rc car to?

aplinker
03-13-2008, 5:30 PM
You really need to tell mommy and daddy about how much ammo prices have gone up & renegotiate.

My trigger pin has started to pop out a little once or twice and i sure do see a lot of semi auto's w them, they do look cool and $30 dollars is about my monthly allowance soooo.

redcliff
03-13-2008, 5:31 PM
Anti rotation pins are highly recommended for 9mm AR conversions.

scfast
03-13-2008, 5:37 PM
You really need to tell mommy and daddy about how much ammo prices have gone up & renegotiate.Tell me about it it took me almost 4yrs to save up for my ar.:D

ar15barrels
03-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I use the 1st gen KNS pins.
They do a great job at fixing the distance between hammer and trigger pin to make the trigger more consistent.
The holes are oversized enough that the stock pins will actually move back and forth in the holes.
The 2nd gen hammer pin is stronger, but it also floats.
The 2nd gen pins do NOT fix the distance between hammer and trigger so they offer no trigger improvement.

FlyingPen
03-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Anti rotation pins are highly recommended for 9mm AR conversions.

Really? why? Even with a 9mm hammer?

redcliff
03-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Really? why? Even with a 9mm hammer?

Apparently the 9mm carrier, being blowback and not locked, recoils at a high velocity initially and strikes the hammer hard and cocks it in a very short stroke, which over time might cause the hammer pin hole in the receiver to egg out.

This is also the reason some people "ramp" their 9mm bolts to reduce some of the strain on the hammer by cocking it over a longer period of bolt carrier travel. A side benefit is that supposedly you can use a normal ar15 hammer for fast calibre conversions with a "ramped" bolt.

Army
03-14-2008, 1:08 AM
:D

They're for full auto guys who create oblong holes in their $3k lowers with use
Highly debatable. I've been around many thousands of full auto guys for 20 years...never had problems with the trigger or hammer pins.:p

Pryde
03-14-2008, 1:31 AM
Solution looking for a problem.
If this was really needed, the .mil would use them for the HSLD guys who rate full auto weapons.

aplinker
03-14-2008, 2:34 AM
Highly debatable. I've been around many thousands of full auto guys for 20 years...never had problems with the trigger or hammer pins.:p

I haven't, but that's what KNS says they're really for.

I suppose if I had an NFA AR lower I'd do anything anyone told me to do to keep it from weaing. ;)

RECCE556
03-14-2008, 11:15 AM
$3K Registered NFA lower? Where? I'll move out of the state to get one that price! :) The going rate on a NFA M16 is around $10K to $15K and considering they're usually crappy uppers, I'd say the lowers are worth a tad bit more than $3K. ;)

But I agree, I would do everything I could to prevent damage if I had a Reg'd NFA M16 lower. $30 pins is hardly something worth fretting over when you're shooting a $10K+ lower.

12:13
03-14-2008, 12:49 PM
If you're gonna go with a drop in trigger like the Timney, I highly suggest you get the KNS pins. At last years desert shoot one of my pins fell out which rendered the rifle useless. See this link also:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=91036&highlight=trigger+pin+fell

aplinker
03-14-2008, 11:20 PM
$3K Registered NFA lower? Where? I'll move out of the state to get one that price! :) The going rate on a NFA M16 is around $10K to $15K and considering they're usually crappy uppers, I'd say the lowers are worth a tad bit more than $3K. ;)

But I agree, I would do everything I could to prevent damage if I had a Reg'd NFA M16 lower. $30 pins is hardly something worth fretting over when you're shooting a $10K+ lower.

I clicked random # and said thousand. I try not to look at NFA weapons anymore to keep my keyboard from being tear soaked.

3k is about the cheapest NFA stuff like a mac, you're right the M16 lowers are lots more.

saki302
03-15-2008, 4:20 AM
My uncle has them on his transferrable M16 (paid about $10K a few years ago- now it's probably more like $12-15K).
I run them on my AW registerd Armalites- to me, they're as irreplaceable as his M16 as far as this state is concerned. And the pins were pretty cheap. I doubt I'd ever wear the holes oval, but if I'm stuck with only these 'real' ARs forever, I want them to last :D

They also make an oversized pin set for worn out guns.

-Dave

PS- these are probably a good idea for the guys with the 80% builds. The kits I've seen are not hard anodized (unless you get it done late), so may wear out considerably quicker than the pro-built AR lowers.

draconianruler
03-15-2008, 11:12 PM
On one of my lowers, the trigger pin would work itself out. Very annoying. KNS pins fixed that so it was money well spent. Otherwise, its just for looks IMHO. I did use the cheap clip on retainer pins from Lanworldinc.com for my dedicated 50 lower. I figured it would be cheap insurance from the pins coming loose.