PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about building an OLL

Sumo99
03-13-2008, 5:35 PM
I will admit that when I 1st joined this site I thought some of you guys were nuts the way you talked about these OLL's (That's after I finally figured out what an OLL was) :D My thought was what's so great about them? Why would you go thru all the hassle of building one, dealing with uneducated RO's and gun shop owners, when you could go out and buy a perfectly legal M1A/M14?

Now after doing a lot of reading and research, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of an OLL build. So, I think I know all the parts I need for a build, I just have to figure out what manufacturers to go with and what I plan to use this rifle for. Which leads me to my question...

After I get all the parts and build this thing, what if I change my mind on what I want? Basically, I'm thinking of going with a 16" barrel, but what if one day I want to switch to a 24"? Can I just change barrels? Can I just buy a new upper and switch between the 2? Or, do I have to build another complete rifle?

Thanks

fairfaxjim
03-13-2008, 6:09 PM
Just change uppers.

A word of warning - OLL's are like potato chips - you can't stop at just one.:D

aplinker
03-13-2008, 6:16 PM
My additions in red

I will admit that when I 1st joined this site I thought some of you guys were nuts the way you talked about these OLL's (That's after I finally figured out what an OLL was) :D My thought was what's so great about them? Why would you go thru all the hassle of building one, dealing with uneducated RO's and gun shop owners, when you could go out and buy a perfectly legal M1A/M14?

OLLs are perfectly legal

Now after doing a lot of reading and research, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of an OLL build. So, I think I know all the parts I need for a build, I just have to figure out what manufacturers to go with and what I plan to use this rifle for. Which leads me to my question...

I recently posted up a recipe for someone doing their's over spring break. You're in LA - if you want more options hit up Randall

After I get all the parts and build this thing, what if I change my mind on what I want? Basically, I'm thinking of going with a 16" barrel, but what if one day I want to switch to a 24"? Can I just change barrels? Can I just buy a new upper and switch between the 2? Or, do I have to build another complete rifle?

Barrels can be switched but you would need a new bolt, too. Uppers are extremely easy to switch. 2 pins by hand in about 30 seconds.

Thanks

elSquid
03-13-2008, 6:18 PM

If you are going to DROS one lower, you may as well do three.

:)

-- Michael

Sumo99
03-13-2008, 6:35 PM
My additions in red

I know they are legal. When I 1st joined I was reading a few threads on how guys were either hassled by cops, RO's, gun shops, etc on the legality of their rifle and didn't understand why anyone would want to deal with that. Now I know :D

Your other post is how I figured out what parts I would need. Thanks :)

So, I can buy a 16" upper and a 24" upper and use them interchangeably? Awesome.

Adonlude
03-13-2008, 8:24 PM
Isn't it great! I learned about OLL's about 5 weeks ago. Since then I have probably spent at least 30 hours reading and I am picking up my first evil rifle in... lets see now... in about 44 hours! :43:

aplinker
03-13-2008, 8:57 PM
I know they are legal. When I 1st joined I was reading a few threads on how guys were either hassled by cops, RO's, gun shops, etc on the legality of their rifle and didn't understand why anyone would want to deal with that. Now I know :D

Your other post is how I figured out what parts I would need. Thanks :)

So, I can buy a 16" upper and a 24" upper and use them interchangeably? Awesome.

My legal statement wasn't at ignorance but only as a fight against the statement some make that it's gray.

You'll want two lowers, though. Trust me. :D

Rocko
03-13-2008, 9:00 PM
I'm in the middle of my first build right now...I see many more in the future!

s2000news
03-13-2008, 9:03 PM
Yeah, I built one at first. Have 2 done now, looking for a upper to finish my 3rd. Have two more stripped lowers waiting.... Its not nice to make lowers wait.

I should start building soon.

tenpercentfirearms
03-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Pack up the guns you have, drive up to Taft, I have everything you need, unpack your guns at many of the numerous places up here to shoot for free, shoot them, pack them back up, drive home.

Repeat the process 10-29 days later except this time shoot your new AR instead of your current guns.

www.tenpercentfirearms.com

aplinker
03-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Pack up the guns you have, drive up to Taft, I have everything you need, unpack your guns at many of the numerous places up here to shoot for free, shoot them, pack them back up, drive home.

Repeat the process 10-29 days later except this time shoot your new AR instead of your current guns.

I have correct GPS coordinates on the good one there and it's a BLAST to shoot at. Wes is good people.

gosparx
03-13-2008, 10:30 PM

+12 and counting!

Deadred7o7
03-13-2008, 11:24 PM
I find out Friday if my FFL holder will get me my first OLL from DDranch:toetap05: Stag 5.56, 16" light weight rifle kit from Del-Ton.com.

aplinker
03-13-2008, 11:27 PM
I find out Friday if my FFL holder will get me my first OLL from DDranch:toetap05: Stag 5.56, 16" light weight rifle kit from Del-Ton.com.

oh noes! :willy_nilly:

DTI! Ack

Deadred7o7
03-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Not a DTI fan ???? let me know, thats why Im here is to gain info

packnrat
03-14-2008, 7:47 AM

i would like to check out your store....but you are a tank of fuel away.

some day when i have a couple other good reasons to also be down that way.

and yes i have been know to way out of my way just to check out a gun store.

:TFH:

Sumo99
03-14-2008, 8:49 AM
You'll want two lowers, though. Trust me. :D
Hmmm...My dilemma is that I also want to do a LRB M14 build. If I get 2 OLL's then I'm never going to build my M14. Granted I could probably build 2 OLL for less than a LRB M14 build. Or, I could drop the idea of a M14 build and just buy another SAI M1A. D@mn it, I need more money! :eek:

Speaking of LRB, I know they are top dog as far as M14 receivers, but how are their lowers?

Sumo99
03-14-2008, 8:50 AM

You're only about 1.5 hours away. I might just have to make that drive.

elSquid
03-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Hmmm...My dilemma is that I also want to do a LRB M14 build. If I get 2 OLL's then I'm never going to build my M14.

Lowers are cheap, so the idea is to buy a spare and save it for a rainy day. That way, when you see an upper that you just can't live without you can just buy it and not have to worry about DROS. You can build it up as soon as you get it.

Anyways, that's my logic; I have a couple of bare lowers stored away.

-- Michael

huck
03-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Not a DTI fan ???? let me know, thats why Im here is to gain info
Deadred7o7: Is that this gun?
http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm

dfletcher
03-14-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks

I think this is a pretty common approach, one that I decided to recently take. Something short & evil and another accurate & respectable so to speak. Although I have plently of experience with the AR/M16 platform from Air Force days - hence my 20 year "Nah, not interested" approach, USAF had some crappy 16s - there is just so much out there by way of parts and combos and options that it takes a bit to figure out exactly what you want. And in CA having to do the mag/pistol grip set up adds to it. But I think I'm getting up to speed and should be able to deal intelligently with the vendors at the Reno show.

Deadred7o7
03-15-2008, 1:03 AM
Deadred7o7: Is that this gun?
http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm

Huck yes but the light weight rifle kit

Sumo99
03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Nevermind