View Full Version : Magpul Stocks: UBR & CTR

03-13-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm doing all the research i can now for all the components i want for my first build. And i was wondering about the UBR...

Is the UBR not out yet?

And i know a bunch of you guys seem to be pretty happy with the ctr... how does that compare to the ubr?

Thanks in advance

03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Overall the UBR is stronger and heavier than the CTR. The CTR is a fantastic light-weight stock, but if you want something a bit more solid and with some additional features, you may want to consider the UBR:

1) The UBR has a preset function so you can store the stock closed and then quickly pull it out to your desired length when needed.
2) Unlike the CTR, the part you rest your cheek on does not move. So your face never has to contact the cold/hot metal buffer tube and your face whiskers wont get caught in the crack between the tube and the stock.
3) Internal storage compartment
4) An additional quick-detach sling mount point close to the receiver.

I don't own a UBR yet (i decided not to buy a pre-production model and wait for their final design) so all this info is based on what i've heard from other people, and specs from Magpul's catalog.

03-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Are the final production UBR's out yet?

and your face whiskers wont get caught in the crack

03-13-2008, 1:13 PM
Are the final production UBR's out yet?

Nope, not yet... I haven't been following the threads on arfcom too closely, but i would expect to see them fairly soon.

03-13-2008, 2:10 PM
The two stocks are like night and day. Some prefer night, some prefer day, but they are not comparable in any significant way.

I've owned all the Magpul stock ever made and got a UBR to replace my M93b when it came out as a pre-production. Have had the CTR since it's pre-production also.

If you like a lightweight rifle with a decent stock than a CTR is more than fine. I have since gone to the SOPMOD but it's about as expensive as a UBR.

A UBR on the other hand is probably the most advanced and robust stock made for the AR in it's history. I will bet that a fixed stock will break in half long before you manage to bend a UBR. If I was going to buttstroke someone to the head I would take the UBR over anything else made right now. It really is stronger than a fixed stock. But you do pay for that strength and features in term of weight. A UBR is a heavy little beast, if you do not have at least a rail system and other stuff it would make your rifle balance like a sledge hammer. A UBR is not something I would recommend if this is your first "nice" stock as it is simply too specialized for the average person. You really need to have a specific rifle built a certain way to apply the UBR effectively. If you simply slap it on the average rifle it would not only be a waste but the rifle would handle terribly.

I say you get a CTR and be happy with it, when you NEED a UBR you will know. If you have to ask or wonder at all than the UBR is not for you.

03-13-2008, 2:21 PM
Great little write-up bobfried, thanks for posting it.

03-13-2008, 2:40 PM
I will have a UBR. :drool5:

03-13-2008, 2:44 PM
I will have a UBR. :drool5:

I have a UBR.
It's a nice stock.
As mentioned, it's heavy.

03-13-2008, 3:10 PM
bobfried is spot-on.

I had a UBR, not what you want on a go-to/KISS carbine.

Tried it on an Armalite HB/SS/free-float/dmr/precision/sniper rifle. Not good there either.

I'm not sure I've seen an AR where it would be my first choice.:confused:

03-13-2008, 3:31 PM
Ive got a m93b :D

03-13-2008, 3:48 PM

Thanks bob.

Balanced my Mk12 Mod1 SPR perfectly.... anything else, the Mk12 would be front heavy.

Also, the variable stock length make the SPR less trouble for transportation, and tight space maneuver; while it is as solid as a fixed A2 stock when you need your cheek weld and shoulder hold for precision work.

03-14-2008, 6:52 AM
thanks for the info fellas. i'll take your comments into consideration.

03-14-2008, 7:53 AM
I have gotten hooked on having a rear-facing QD sling swivel under the buffer tube. With the Vickers sling it makes ambi transitions easy. I am using the TangoDown CAR sling adapter.

As far as I can tell there is no provision for a rear-facing QD sling swivel on the UBR.

03-14-2008, 8:09 AM
i was told the final UBRs were gonna hit production at the end of this month, meaning we will see them in about 4 months im guessing.

that was from magpul, though, take it for what its worth.

i was calling about some replacment parts for a m93b... none left:~(

03-14-2008, 8:49 AM
I have a pre-production UBR, and I just bought a CTR to replace it. Its a great stock and I'll probably keep it to use on something else, but like others have said it's heavy. Its rock solid, i mean you could put up a fence using the stock as a hammer, and it'll probably still lock-up tight afterwards. But on a lightweight carbine it is not needed. Someday I'll put together an 18" SPR where the UBR's cheek weld will be more useful.

03-14-2008, 5:47 PM
I think that the UBR is perfect for a SPR build.

And magpul is also coming out with a new telescoping stock that is similar to the LMT/SOPMOD.

03-15-2008, 8:13 AM
Well, my tentative plans are to go with a 16"+FH with mid length gas with a medcon barrel. And i plan to put the DD Omega rails up front. Would the ubr still be to heavy in the back?

03-15-2008, 10:13 AM
the UBR is noticeably heavier than a CTR, but not unwieldy. As i go back and re-read the posts it sounds like we're describing a brick compared to feather. Both stocks are top notch, both have zero movement or wobble, and i can shoot just as accurately with either. Both do everything I need them to do, the CTR is just lighter.

Your setup sounds like it would balance fairly well, are you running optics?

03-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I own 2 UBR stocks and 2 CTR stocks, and both are fantastic stocks.

I love both stocks, and I have a bunch of the UBR's on back order already.

I heard they are supposed to be released soon.

The UBR is heavier, and that for me is good, because it helps balance out my POF or LWRC Gas Piston Uppers which are a little front heavy compared to a standard AR upper.

The CTR stocks I love, they are light, and the locking mechanism helps to eliminate any movement.

Also Magpul is going to eventually release the ACS Carbine stock, which looks like a next Gen CTR, and a MOE stock which looks like the CTR stock without the locking mechanism.

I own Vltor stocks too, and they are good, but I like the Magpul's better.