PDA

View Full Version : BCM 16" M4 Carbine Upper Receiver? and a few other ar15 Virgin questions

kakpataka
03-13-2008, 7:57 AM
Pls cut/paste the whole thing...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DM4%2D16

Guys, it will be a good 1.2 months before I buy an upper. I will try to get a lower in about 10 days though. Does anyone know about these uppers?
Performance wise, I am thinking that i dont want a plinker, but something that could , say for example , work the way its supoposed to in real life situation. I am sure it wont ever come to that but you guys know what I mean.

I also looked at Stag Arms 3h ? flat top for 445.00. Also considered CMMG.

Can you guys tell me if anyone here has done a " stress test" with these brand of uppers and how would you rate all the different one? What about RRA and DPMS?

Also, as for Lowers, I ve looked at Double Star (99.00 shipped) , Stag and RRA. arent all lowers pretty much the same?

Also, I was looking at this lowwer and it said that its a A2 complete lower. I thought the A X designation was for the uppers and any lower can be used. Am I wrong?

Also, while looking at the flat tops, it said it didnt have the M$ feed ramp while the other ones said it does have feed ramps. What the difference?

In a similar case it said that one would need a barrel extension for m4, whay is that?

Is there a certain configuration when it comes to a reg. vs medium or short carbine ?

I apologize for my ignorance but I am investing time in what I intend to own so I am sure that you guys will make some sense out of my questions!

I will post other question as I find out more.:cool:

Hopi
03-13-2008, 9:27 AM
I'll try......answers/opinions in red

Pls cut/paste the whole thing...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DM4%2D16

Guys, it will be a good 1.2 months before I buy an upper. I will try to get a lower in about 10 days though. Does anyone know about these uppers?
Performance wise, I am thinking that i dont want a plinker, but something that could , say for example , work the way its supoposed to in real life situation. I am sure it wont ever come to that but you guys know what I mean.
BC
BCM has a good reputation and have reportedly supplied LEO and .mil contracts. You should be very satisfied with the performance and quality.

I also looked at Stag Arms 3h ? flat top for 445.00. Also considered CMMG.
Stag Arms uppers have had some negative reviews re: specific ammo failures, as well as some slipping QC as of late. CMMG is quality, one advantage is the ability to have them custom built, not something you can have done with Stag or LMT.

Can you guys tell me if anyone here has done a " stress test" with these brand of uppers and how would you rate all the different one? What about RRA and DPMS?Their respective websites should include info re: individual parts MPI tests and such.

Also, as for Lowers, I ve looked at Double Star (99.00 shipped) , Stag and RRA. arent all lowers pretty much the same?Yes, lowers are pretty standard, pick a logo/finish/brand that you like and knock yourself out!

Also, I was looking at this lowwer and it said that its a A2 complete lower. I thought the A X designation was for the uppers and any lower can be used. Am I wrong?That refers to a built lower (LPK installed) with an A2 stock.

Also, while looking at the flat tops, it said it didnt have the M$ feed ramp while the other ones said it does have feed ramps. What the difference? M4 cuts are designed to help chamber rounds in full-auto M4 .mil rifles. Not really necessary on a semi-auto but most uppers come with them now.

In a similar case it said that one would need a barrel extension for m4, whay is that?These are cutouts in the barrel that match up to the cutouts in the upper to delver smooth feeding.

Is there a certain configuration when it comes to a reg. vs medium or short carbine? Stick with the mid or rifle length.

I apologize for my ignorance but I am investing time in what I intend to own so I am sure that you guys will make some sense out of my questions!

I will post other question as I find out more.:cool:
Have Fun!

kakpataka
03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
H, Thanks a lot for sharing the info. I now know more that i did before. i will post more questions as they come to mind!
further input/opinions from others is still welcome.

kakpataka
03-14-2008, 11:53 PM
So I was looking more at the uppers. i noticed that some were post ban and some were pre-ban. Whats the difference and what can be legally had in CA?

Also, If I a fixed stock, MM Grip, I can have a removable mag with flash hider or compensator? Can i have a compensator regardless of tehg configuration?

If I have a My style stock, that would be considered collapsable? if so, what features I may not have?

Now i am between cmmg/dpms and the Bravo co. I dropped stag arms.
Bravo upper is like 480 0r so and does not include bolt assy. and charge handle.

Is it worth it spending more on it or you guys think CMMG is just as reliable?

I also looked at armalite bolt assy. for 125 or so. how big of a difference does that make?

Thanks.

Deadred7o7
03-15-2008, 12:23 AM
So I was looking more at the uppers. i noticed that some were post ban and some were pre-ban. Whats the difference and what can be legally had in CA?

Also, If I a fixed stock, MM Grip, I can have a removable mag with flash hider or compensator? Can i have a compensator regardless of tehg configuration?

If I have a My style stock, that would be considered collapsable? if so, what features I may not have?

Now i am between cmmg/dpms and the Bravo co. I dropped stag arms.
Bravo upper is like 480 0r so and does not include bolt assy. and charge handle.

Is it worth it spending more on it or you guys think CMMG is just as reliable?

I also looked at armalite bolt assy. for 125 or so. how big of a difference does that make?

Thanks.

I dont think you can have a removable mag with flash hider.

aplinker
03-15-2008, 12:57 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=42478

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

Here are my suggestions on a BB build. More info is in those two threads above.
Immediately DROS the lower... now... today... the rest will come along during your 10day wait.

You'll need:
1.) Lower
2.) Lower parts kit
3.) Complete upper
4.) Sights/optics
5.) Buttstock kit (stock, tube, spring, buffer)
6.) Compliance parts (bullet button or MMG)
7.) Magazine
8.) LOTS of ammo.

Here are my suggestions - I'd push you toward a Recce build:
1.) Build a 16" (or maybe slightly longer), with a medium or lightweight barrel contour. It will let you get good accuracy and be able to carry it.
2.) Get a mid-length gas system (unless you exceed 18")
3.) Get a 2-stage Rock River Arms trigger with your LPK. It's well worth the extra $80
4.) Get a Daniel Defense, SWS, or LaRue railed handguard - if you can afford it - and put it over a mid-length low profile gas block - looks cleaner and will allow you to mount a flip front sight on the rail with a longer sight radius
5.) I'd go with the following upper/barrel manuf's (best down - all are very good): Colt, LMT/Noveske (tie), CMMG, RRA. The CMMG is probably the best value with the most options
6.) Pick your brake or flash hider. This is a pretty personal choice. The best FH: Smith Vortex. The FSC556 is pretty hot right now. Brakes have many options. Keep in mind neither really do much - the .223 is limited in recoil and how often do you shoot at night?
7.) If you have money to spend, get an LMT SOPMOD buttstock kit. Magpul UBR, VLTOR EMOD and Magpul CTR are the next choices, in that order. Price pretty much follows the quality there.
8.) If you have money, pick an aftermarket grip. The MIAD is the hot one now. TangoDown, Ergo, Hogue etc all make their own, too.
9.) The best flip sights, hands down, are Troy.
10.) Get one 10/30rd mag for pics (Magpul PMAG looks nice and functions well) and a few more 10rd C-Products + Magpul ranger plates for shooting

Other needs: Case (soft is best), sling (I prefer 2-point, 3-pt is acceptable, 1 point is stupid), optics (EOTech for 0-150yds and SPEED, ACOG for 50-400yds), ammo (anything cheap and brass cased, preferable, but Wolf runs fine - if your range allows magnetic ammo). Lastly, the Magpul winter trigger guard really finishes the look of a rifle.

kakpataka
03-18-2008, 4:09 PM
Awesome Info. I ve learnt so much but have still a few q's.

1)
How does the Muzzle break get attached to the barrel?
Does it get welded? ( would hate that)
Or if I can get a threaded barrel, can I just screw it on? ( can i even get a threaded barrel in CA?)

The reason I want Mb and Not Flash hider is so that i can a detachabe mag with MMG.

2)
I cant afford to get them fancy handrail. But i saw this thing ( i know) you can install over the regular hand guard and install stuff over it. Can I install
and flip up sight on it? Can it be aligned properly with the rear sight? ( both with the carry handle signt and flat top sight?)

I also heard that to install this over the hand gurd, the heat shield may have to be removed. if so, how bad is it not to have heat shield?

3)
Should I choose 1/7 , 1/8 or 1/9 twist barrel? I ve heard that to shoot anything over 62grains, the barrels should be atleast 1/8. Is that correct?

4)
Gas blocks: someone was saying how they ordered this quad rail gas block and it didnt fit. I cant recall exactly why it didnt. But I noticed that it has sizes like .5 something and .7something. How do i make sure that if later on I decide to get rid of front fixed sight that i get what would actually fit.

5)
if i have mmg with removable mag installed i am assunming i cant install 4 0r 6 position carbine stock?

6)
what do you guys think about 14.5 inch barrels?

7) what is the effective range of 16/18/14.5 inch barrels?

I know.................. I have way too many questions............. but it seems like you guys are going to suceed in making me an expert in no time. I think i will have atlest 3 more questions later!!!!!! sorry! Thanks to all who have taken time to answer and also provide some useful links!

J_Rock
03-18-2008, 4:27 PM
Awesome Info. I ve learnt so much but have still a few q's.

1)
How does the Muzzle break get attached to the barrel?
Does it get welded? ( would hate that)
Or if I can get a threaded barrel, can I just screw it on? ( can i even get a threaded barrel in CA?)

Its threaded on, your barrel must be more than 16.1" including the the muzzle device. If your barrel is shorter than than your muzzle device must be pinned and welded
The reason I want Mb and Not Flash hider is so that i can a detachabe mag with MMG.

2)
I cant afford to get them fancy handrail. But i saw this thing ( i know) you can install over the regular hand guard and install stuff over it. Can I install
and flip up sight on it? Can it be aligned properly with the rear sight? ( both with the carry handle signt and flat top sight?)

no, the plastic handguards are not stable enough and will shift around during firing

I also heard that to install this over the hand gurd, the heat shield may have to be removed. if so, how bad is it not to have heat shield?

The handguard gets pretty hot...
3)
Should I choose 1/7 , 1/8 or 1/9 twist barrel? I ve heard that to shoot anything over 62grains, the barrels should be atleast 1/8. Is that correct?

no 1:9 will stablize up to 69grs, for 75-77grs I recommend a 1:8 or 1:7 twist
4)
Gas blocks: someone was saying how they ordered this quad rail gas block and it didnt fit. I cant recall exactly why it didnt. But I noticed that it has sizes like .5 something and .7something. How do i make sure that if later on I decide to get rid of front fixed sight that i get what would actually fit.

they are probably talking about the gas port diameter, if you replace it just make sure you get the one that is the right size for your gas port
5)
if i have mmg with removable mag installed i am assunming i cant install 4 0r 6 position carbine stock?

no you cant have a collapsible stock

6)
what do you guys think about 14.5 inch barrels?

they are great except in your case you probably wont want once since it requires the brake to be pinned and welded

7) what is the effective range of 16/18/14.5 inch barrels?

are you shooting paper or animals/humans?

I know.................. I have way too many questions............. but it seems like you guys are going to suceed in making me an expert in no time. I think i will have atlest 3 more questions later!!!!!! sorry! Thanks to all who have taken time to answer and also provide some useful links!

End

aplinker
03-18-2008, 4:51 PM
I wanted to change the wording of some responses, for clarity.

First, on barrel length, the Feds require that the barrel be >16" total length. Permanently. This means you CAN use a shorter barrel (e.g., 14.5"), but there must be a permanently attached (welded) muzzle device that makes the total length over 16".

Threaded barrels are 100% legal on ANY rifle. I would suggest you stick with a 16" barrel and a detachable muzzle device.

If you provide a link to the "thing" you're referring to about handguards we can provide more analysis.

A 1/9 twist barrel is perfectly capable of stabilizing everything but the heaviest of match loads. Here's an EXCELLENT read about the .223/5.56 round:
http://ammo.ar15.com/

a quad-rail gas block isn't a good choice. I would push you toward either a standard FSB or, if you really want a flip sight, something like the YHM railed gas block/lug/sling stud

Your question about the collapsible stock and the MMG worries me you have not spent enough time in the newbie thread understanding why the different configurations are legal. The "Flow-Chart" is an excellent tool, as well:
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Effective range is a bit silly of an idea... When do you anticipate a need to make a kill at 400yds? All of those rifles will be fine to that distance. The velocity/accuracy/energy difference will become apparent past 500yds.

kakpataka
03-18-2008, 5:25 PM
UP & JR ,
I just printed the flow chart. I know what you mean when you said I havent spent much time in the newbie section!

I am not planning to shoot beyond 100-200 yard , or humans! its just that I wanted to configure the best rifle possible and eventually invest in it by eventually souping it up! I realize that 1/9 barrel will do just fine but I wanted something best in every respect. I know, i am very picky performance wise and cosmetically! I could ve opted for M1a but i think it too heavy and AR is more versatile and i can constantly upgrade it in so many ways.

I ve already learnt a lot form you guys!
Jr has already pointed out the question about attaching front sight on the " thing" over regulay handguards. I am sure I wouldve not realized it on my own. I will look into the Yh? bloc as suggested. I ve not owned a rifle before so i choose to learn from you guys ! I presently have hk usp45 f/s and love it and try to go to the range every 2 weeks! I was tempted to sell it and get the AR but I am not so sure!

aplinker
03-18-2008, 5:34 PM
If you're into quality, then get the VLTOR gas block/front sight base or a PRI flip integrated into the FSB.

You mentioned $ was an issue with the handguard so I went with cheaper alternatives. IMHO you're better off with a standard FSB if you can't afford something nice. Save until you can and get a handguard/lo profile.

CrippledPidgeon
03-18-2008, 6:30 PM
I am not planning to shoot beyond 100-200 yard , or humans! its just that I wanted to configure the best rifle possible and eventually invest in it by eventually souping it up! I realize that 1/9 barrel will do just fine but I wanted something best in every respect.

I'm still a newbie in terms of AR customization (heck, my first OLL is still at the FFL, although I do have my upper here..), but in terms of customizing anything, you get the best of what is hard to customize, and then you get the crappiest of whatever you want to customize in the future, because you're just going to be replacing it anyway.

And then it's always hard to determine what is "best" at anything. There's always the bragging point of "I've spent $xxxx on my gun" but it's not always best for what you're doing with it. What's the point of buying an expensive barrel designed for sub MOA accuracy and can take tens of thousands of rounds before needing to be replaced if you're just going to be doing 100 yard plinking with it? Sure you've spent the MOST, but the barrel's being wasted, and therefore, is not the best.

I was considering buying a new upper right off the bat, but in the 9 days since I bought the OLL, I've decided to put it off until I decide exactly what I need it for, and how much use it's going to see.

Just my $.02

kakpataka
03-18-2008, 8:27 PM
I was actually thinking the same thing. I will get the lower and then get the parts for upper or a complete upper! I really want the VLTOR upper!
CP, what you said does make total sense. But then I am thinking that I should ve cut down on buying Ipods, laser printers and spending $$$ on fancy cuisine!
I can always go with stag upper for 450.00 or even CMMG under 500.00. Somehow I am also stuck on VLTOR upper. Lets see how it goes!

CrippledPidgeon
03-19-2008, 2:09 AM
I was actually thinking the same thing. I will get the lower and then get the parts for upper or a complete upper! I really want the VLTOR upper!
CP, what you said does make total sense. But then I am thinking that I should ve cut down on buying Ipods, laser printers and spending $$$ on fancy cuisine!
I can always go with stag upper for 450.00 or even CMMG under 500.00. Somehow I am also stuck on VLTOR upper. Lets see how it goes!

Yea, I have an A2 upper with a 16" barrel. I wanted a flattop upper so that I could mount optics and flip up sights, but then thinking about it, I realized that I have no optics, nor flip up sights, and really, I don't think I'll be plinking any farther than 100 yards in the near future anyway. Probably less than that because I need prescription shooting glasses so that I can actually SEE the target at 100 yards. So considering that I really only need iron sights for the time being, I'm going to lay off for a while.

That being said, I'll probably be stocking on stripped lowers just in case :P

kakpataka
03-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the input so far!
A few more questions came to mind!

What do they mean by Mil-Spec parts? are non ms part mutually compatible? Any other differences?

What type of barrel is better?
Chrome lined or standard?
I saw some standard ones with moly something. What is that as opposed to chrome lined?

Also, what is Hbar barrel? and how does it compare to regular ones?
How are light weight, medium heavy and heavy differ?

Lastly, I came across sundevil lowers. How do they measure up? I think they are all multi cal. too.

What does it mean when it says the upper or lower receiver is machined from " solid billet"?

Lastly, are there certain lowers that wont exactly match with the upper in color etc?

Thanks!

PS. I think eventually I will be able to write a book about ar15! I am finding out so much tech stuff !!!!!!

SFFRONTMAN
03-21-2008, 12:14 AM

I saw some standard ones with moly something. What is that as opposed to chrome lined?

Chrome lined, easier to clean, longer barrel life, much more durable.

Hbar is a heavy profile barrel. Unless you are getting a strictly bench gun, it is heavy to carry around if you needed to, and Hbar tend to be very heavy.

Lastly, I came across sundevil lowers. How do they measure up? I think they are all multi cal. too.

Sundevil lowers are very good quality.

What does it mean when it says the upper or lower receiver is machined from " solid billet"?

As in machined from a solid billet piece of aluminum (stronger), as opposed to a forging. Both however will work perfectly, some people prefer to just have the option.

Lastly, are there certain lowers that wont exactly match with the upper in color etc?

Can very from company to company. generally if you're upper/lower are the same manufacturer they will match, but all milspec finishes are generally the same.

Thanks!

That should help.

aplinker
03-21-2008, 12:24 AM
A couple of random statements to clarify some things:

1.) The barrel and actual upper receiver are the hardest parts to replace in an AR. I'd suggest not choosing ones here you think you might want to "upgrade." Definitely get a flat-top. It's cheaper than an A2 and the cost difference can cover a Matech $55 flip-up sight.

2.) No upper/lowers will necessarily match, even from the same manuf. It's not a big deal. They blend nicely, still.

3.) caliber marking on the lower itself is MEANINGLESS. You can make it shoot anything you want.

What do they mean by Mil-Spec parts? are non ms part mutually compatible? Any other differences?

Thanks!

PS. I think eventually I will be able to write a book about ar15! I am finding out so much tech stuff !!!!!!

MrLogan
03-21-2008, 9:34 AM
BCM makes great stuff, top notch. But their uppers and barrels have been out of stock since FOREVER. Still waiting for them to get some more in one day. :(

mltrading
03-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Here's some advices:

1) BCM upper is definitely a great upper half. It's worth the wait.

2) There are tons of excellent upper halves on the market, too. The example is LMT upper.

3) The word "customize" will cost a lot of $$$ and time. I've warned you.:D

Usually for a newbie, my advice is not to touch the FSB. Just replace regular ***ly (fat + ugly) HG with railed HGs. It is the fastest way to "customize" without too much work.

If you need a low-profile gas block, you might use dremel tool to build one from a standard FSB. Check ARFCOM BIY section.

Then go shooting. During shooting, you will understand what you need such as barrel length, free-float forearm or other fancy mounts....etc. Get a clear picture in mind then build another upper.

Of course in the mean time you need to read a lot to understand how to remove/install muzzle devices, FSB, barrel and fancy forearms. You might also need some basic AR tools such as barrel nut wrench, torque wrench and good punches.

Happy building!!!;)

kakpataka
03-25-2008, 11:52 PM
a telescoping stock could be ca legal(with removable mag and mmg) if it was pinned permanently in place. Pinning it in one position in effect converts it to a fixed stock in matters concerning CA firearms law. Is this true?

if so, how is it pinned?

thans for the input/advice and suggestions so far!

aplinker
03-26-2008, 12:46 AM
a telescoping stock could be ca legal(with removable mag and mmg) if it was pinned permanently in place. Pinning it in one position in effect converts it to a fixed stock in matters concerning CA firearms law. Is this true?

if so, how is it pinned?

thans for the input/advice and suggestions so far!

it's true, but it looks pretty silly and it gives you the worst of the collapsible, without its benefit.

kakpataka
05-08-2008, 9:54 PM
UP, your input has been so helpful.
thanks.............................
What do you guys think about SabreDefence barrels? I found a dealer in oregon that had some great prices. I have looked at BM and RR, the whole upper assembly( with upper) is like 270-300 range but I somehow ended up liking the SD barrel assembly only ( no upper) out the door it is like 400. What do you guys think????????

Also, are KNS pins recommended or its just a fluff???

If I end up getting a carbine, them i am gonna end up with a much shorter gas thingy. How does that affect performance and accuracy ? can I add anything to compensate for that?

Lastly, what would you choose for a complete bolt assembly?
Is just the regular one ok? It seems there are chrome ones , NM ones and something something coated ones.

Thanks!

PS when I am done putting my baby together , you will all be proud of it!!
I just have non firearms items that i am trying to sell( hint , hint) and I ll be good to go!

aplinker
05-08-2008, 10:09 PM
UP, your input has been so helpful.
thanks.............................
What do you guys think about SabreDefence barrels? I found a dealer in oregon that had some great prices. I have looked at BM and RR, the whole upper assembly( with upper) is like 270-300 range but I somehow ended up liking the SD barrel assembly only ( no upper) out the door it is like 400. What do you guys think????????
Sabre's ok, but for that kind of money I'd buy Noveske

Also, are KNS pins recommended or its just a fluff???
Pretty much fluff, unless you have an M16 lower or registered auto sear. Even then it's questionable

If I end up getting a carbine, them i am gonna end up with a much shorter gas thingy. How does that affect performance and accuracy ? can I add anything to compensate for that?
gas thingy? :D uh... the distance down the barrel with carbine is shorter than mid-length. Carbines have higher pressure and shorter dwell times, which makes the system sometimes need tweaking (heavy buffer and beefed up extractor)

Lastly, what would you choose for a complete bolt assembly?
Is just the regular one ok? It seems there are chrome ones , NM ones and something something coated ones.
LMT, Bravo Company, etc. are all good. Colt, if you can find them. Get an M16 if you can.

And really lastly, I can get a Vltor MUr upper with BA & SD , 225.20 shipped. Is that a good deal? That includes CA tax and shipping.
Thanks!
No need to get the MUR over, say, a Daniel Defense, LMT, CMT, etc.
PS when I am done putting my baby together , you will all be proud of it!!
I just have non firearms items that i am trying to sell( hint , hint) and I ll be good to go!

in red

kakpataka
05-08-2008, 10:19 PM
UP, hey thanks......................
Somehow, I thought SD is better than Noveske( cant recall how I know that). I checked them put online, but somehow they seemed more geared towards precision shooting. I guess maybe because of the way the looked? It seems I would also need to buy a FF HG to accommodate front sight.( I was trying to get em way later and use the regular one for a while) I guess I ll go ahead and look at their barrels again. Maybe I did not pay close attention to .

So , as for bolt carrier group ( I remember what its called now), m16 one would be fine then? It wont need any modification?
As for the enhanced extractor and buffer, who has em?

Thanks.

aplinker
05-08-2008, 10:35 PM
If you're buying Noveske, get a mid-length gas barrel (like the Recon), then you won't need to worry about upgrades/carbine fixes.

You don't have to buy a FF rail sight- you can use a standard FSB. Check out their N4 Recon upper.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=un4lrb&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=

UP, hey thanks......................
Somehow, I thought SD is better than Noveske( cant recall how I know that). I checked them put online, but somehow they seemed more geared towards precision shooting. I guess maybe because of the way the looked? It seems I would also need to buy a FF HG to accommodate front sight.( I was trying to get em way later and use the regular one for a while) I guess I ll go ahead and look at their barrels again. Maybe I did not pay close attention to .

So , as for bolt carrier group ( I remember what its called now), m16 one would be fine then? It wont need any modification?
As for the enhanced extractor and buffer, who has em?

Thanks.

ar15barrels
05-08-2008, 10:44 PM
3) The word "customize" will cost a lot of $$$ and time. I've warned you.:D

Not always true.
It depends on what parts he wants to change.
My tear-down and rebuild charge is WAY cheaper than buying the tools.

aplinker
05-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Not always true.
It depends on what parts he wants to change.
My tear-down and rebuild charge is WAY cheaper than buying the tools.

I think he's referring to the inability for most of us to control ourselves once we take a step down the road of customization. ;)

kakpataka
05-08-2008, 10:59 PM
I think he's referring to the inability for most of us to control ourselves once we take a step down the road of customization. ;)

UP you got that right................. its like a volcano ready to explode.
The thing is that for now, instead of spending like 250 plus on FF Hg's , i can get a better quality barrel , a better receiver and maybe at Christmas, i can get the souped up items.

:chris:

kakpataka
05-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Ok , I now have a complete lower with promag 10/20 mag with magpul follower! Thaks to everyone here ................ ! could not have done it without you guys.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to put everything together w/out any problems, scratches or damage to lower even though I had barey any tools and one punch. I have Anivl Arms lower and Stag LPK fitted in flawlessly!

Here is the thing..................... since I plan on getting the barrel assembly and upper sereratley, How do I take care of headspacing? how difficult would it be for a newb?????? IF i were to take it to a smith, how much would he charge???? ( I was quoted 200.00 by a certain shop in the Bay Area)

Also, speaking of barrels, In terms of practical /real life use, how does one decide which one to get??? i mean, there are SPR, 18"., fluted competiton medium weight, designated marksmen, multipurpose, and steel 16" barrels.

So basically, what are all the different types of barrels and are they exclusive to the purpose as designated by their name or can they be also multipurpose?

Up , thanks in advance.................

ar15barrels
05-13-2008, 11:00 PM
I plan on getting the barrel assembly and upper sereratley, How do I take care of headspacing?

There is no adjustment for headspace.
You just check it with a gauge.
It's either in-spec, or the parts are bad.

Are you assembling the upper yourself?
You ARE going to need some specialized tools for that.
It costs a lot more to buy the tools than to pay someone like me to just do it for you. ;)
I charge $25 to assemble an upper and that includes the headspace check.

aplinker
05-14-2008, 1:24 AM
Send your parts to Randall and he'll get it done. He knows more than just about anyone when it comes to ARs.

kakpataka
05-15-2008, 12:47 AM
OK, so I came across this LMT preban complete upper. I cant recall the site though. It said to check the local laws regrading preban upper assemblies and I recall it had mentioned CA.
I thought we could have preban upper assemblies in CA?
If a2 flash hider is an issue, that can always be replace with muzzle break.
Who makes the barrel blanks for LMT? How good are they????

Lastly, are LMT uppers and barrels tested for you ................ stuff!:D
Thanks UP...............

gatdammit
05-20-2008, 3:33 PM
OK, so I came across this LMT preban complete upper. I cant recall the site though. It said to check the local laws regrading preban upper assemblies and I recall it had mentioned CA.
I thought we could have preban upper assemblies in CA?
If a2 flash hider is an issue, that can always be replace with muzzle break.
Who makes the barrel blanks for LMT? How good are they????

Lastly, are LMT uppers and barrels tested for you ................ stuff!:D
Thanks UP...............

I believe the Noveske uppers are tested for you as well. I don't know about the preban upper thing. I actually don't know what the difference is.

Hopi
05-20-2008, 3:36 PM
I believe the Noveske uppers are tested for you as well. I don't know about the preban upper thing. I actually don't know what the difference is.

Pre-ban and post-ban refers to the federal assault weapon ban that had a sunset clause and ended in 2004.

It is irrelevant here in CA, but it does make it easy to shop for 'feature-less' uppers for those drop-mag builds.......

trinydex
05-20-2008, 4:03 PM
it seems from your original post you may have been shopping outside of ca for your lower. you mentioned double star 99 shipped. if you are ordering from out of state keep in mind they don't ship it to you but to an ffl and the ffl may charge you an out of state transfer on top of your dros which may take what you would have saved and throw it into the ffl's pocket.

might be better off buying a lower locally from a dealer that has what you're looking for in stock. there's good deals in the commercial for sale section. i wish i had waited to buy mine. oh and remember that you'll have to pay tax at the time of purchase unless you ptt, there's some of those in private for sale. i can't remember if they're near sac.

gatdammit
05-23-2008, 3:31 AM
Pre-ban and post-ban refers to the federal assault weapon ban that had a sunset clause and ended in 2004.

It is irrelevant here in CA, but it does make it easy to shop for 'feature-less' uppers for those drop-mag builds.......

Oh I see... yeah I understand when the ban was and ended, but what I don't understand is a the difference between the pre-ban vs post-ban uppers. They are different? Sorry for the tangent.

BTW the complete upper from Noveske (14.5" Afghan) is sweeeet! I gotta save up for that!

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u145pvis556&cat=57&page=1&search=&since=&status=

kakpataka
05-23-2008, 3:34 PM
I actua;y got Anvil Arms instead , for a lowe. The FFl said it seemed like top quality. It sis alos multi Cal and finish is very good.OTD it cost me 147.00 since my FFL only charged me $35.00 OTD ! Its just that he is in Placerville/camino area and far for most folk.

For teh Upper, i finally got a complete upper assembly, Thanks for Pk fireArms, I placed teh order last friday and got it delivered monday!
It is basically, sabre defense barrel, CMT Upper M4! I will get the d ring, extractor spring and H2 buffer later. Also getting a very good Disount from PK Firearms ( Speak with john & mention calguns) on chrome BCG by YHM.young manufacturing
Basically, I have a complete rifle minus the BCG.............
Honestly, I am glad I got carbine. i dont think I would ve liked middy gas.( thingy)

I have what I have now! But many thanks go to UCLAPlinker and others.