PDA

View Full Version : M1A rifle Scope. What do you suggest I get?

vrejshah209
03-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Please give me some feedback on the best bang for the buck scope out there to get for a loaded version SA M1A. Thanks

Guns R Tools
03-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I heard good things about Bushnell 3200.
Good price, good warranty.
I believe it's under $200.

GW
03-12-2008, 11:57 PM
SWFA Super Sniper is solid
actually, if money is no object get a NightForce. Its the best bang for the buck. It does cost a few bucks but you do get what you pay for. Schmidt and Bender might be better, but NF is American made & rock solid

Maybe you should give us a price range.

adamsreeftank
03-13-2008, 12:00 AM
There are lots of options, but I suggest you get something fairly compact so you can keep it low on the gun. Have you chosen a scope mount yet?

MrNiceGuy
03-13-2008, 12:06 AM
I was gonna get a "Millett 4-16x50 Tactical 30mm" for $280 or a
"Falcon Optics Menace 4.5-18x56mm Tactical" for $400 (but I can't find the Falcon for sale anywhere) for my M1A.

But you might want to make sure you're scope mount is not a cheaper clone that'll rattle loose after a few shots, that's more important than anything else.

I heard a 3 point mount is suppose to be better than a 2 point mount but I'm not too sure myself.

chsk9
03-13-2008, 12:33 AM
ARMS mount and Leupold MRT

aplinker
03-13-2008, 1:37 AM
I was gonna get a "Millett 4-16x50 Tactical 30mm" for $280 or a
"Falcon Optics Menace 4.5-18x56mm Tactical" for $400 (but I can't find the Falcon for sale anywhere) for my M1A.

But you might want to make sure you're scope mount is not a cheaper clone that'll rattle loose after a few shots, that's more important than anything else.

I heard a 3 point mount is suppose to be better than a 2 point mount but I'm not too sure myself.

http://www.snipercentral.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=67&osCsid=d0d8d0a7ce715ff7eab8f013952164a5

If you're going bench, more magnification is fine. If you want it for carry, you might want a 1-5 or 2-6x

sb_pete
03-13-2008, 1:54 AM
+1 on more info.
- What are you realistically looking to spend?
- What kind of use? Hunting, Plinking, dabbling in F/TR?
- What is the longest range you have access to?
- What kind of magnification do you want?
- What kind of reticle do you prefer for this app?

As has been said, the SWFA super sniper is great and solid as heck. The Millett TRS-1 has served me well. The Millett TRS-2 is a bargain and fixed 10x like the super sniper. That said you may be wanting a lower power optic.

The next step up from the above scopes is (in my mind) Leupold, then S&B and Nightforce stuff, then the really crazy cool US optics stuff. There are, of course, lots of other brands and people that swear by them. Give us some more info and people can help you find some options that are right for you.

vrejshah209
03-13-2008, 8:31 AM
I don't want to go cheap but also don't want to break the bank. I just go a SA third gen mount that most say works great for the money so I will be using that. I will be mostly bench shooting in the Angeles range. I think it goes out to 500 or 600 yards. I really don't know what kind of magnification I need or what is best for the M1A. The Turnes guys said Leopold Mark 4 but it is a bit pricey. I am looking to keep it under $1000 but it won't brake that bank to go a couple 100 more. Thanks for all the info guys.

Prc329
03-13-2008, 8:39 AM
I had a couple of Super Snipers and just can not recommend them anymore. The knobs get a little mushy after a while.

I have heard good things about the Falcon Optics scopes. I am planning on putting one on my M14 soon. Probably the 4x14 model. Also the Bushnell is actually a better buy then the Super Sniper is.

aplinker
03-13-2008, 8:48 AM
Vrej,

The 600yd distance at Angeles feels cozy with anything from 10-14X. For a battle rifle like an M1A I always feel like the bottom end should be as low as possible, but we all know we're not going to war. Turner's is the worst place to buy optics. They have a very limited selection and are almost completely clueless. Leupy Mk4's are their answer to every question because it's all they have.

I would recommend IOR over Leupold. Take a look at libertyoptics.com

He's on the site now and has excellent prices. Either the MP-8 reticled 4-14 or 2.5-10 will serve you well, all under $1k (~900 add another 100 for illumination - for your purposes unnecessary).

If you want, I have an essentially brand new in box Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10X M3 with Mark 4 rings I'd cut you a deal on.

The Falcon menace I listed above seems to be the hot lower-budget scope as it's FFP and mil-dot. Reviews are excellent.

I don't want to go cheap but also don't want to break the bank. I just go a SA third gen mount that most say works great for the money so I will be using that. I will be mostly bench shooting in the Angeles range. I think it goes out to 500 or 600 yards. I really don't know what kind of magnification I need or what is best for the M1A. The Turnes guys said Leopold Mark 4 but it is a bit pricey. I am looking to keep it under $1000 but it won't brake that bank to go a couple 100 more. Thanks for all the info guys.

Omega13device
03-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I put a Leupy Mark 4 on an SPR-type AR to be "historically authentic" and it's fantastic, but to be frank it's total overkill. I wouldn't spend another $1000 for punching paper unless I was pretty serious into competition. For my Rem 700 I bought a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 side focus for $250. Nikon makes excellent glass and the low cost makes it a bargain to start learning LR shooting. There are other decent budget scopes, Nikon is just one. If you go this route and later find you're really shooting a lot and/or want to compete, go spend the money for a Sadlak scope mount and move upmarket to Leupold, NightForce, IOR, or even more upmarket to US Optics or Schmidt & Bender. By that time you will know which type of scope is right for you, and you can dump the Nikon for a small loss or throw it on another gun.

tygerpaw
03-13-2008, 11:55 AM
The most important part for a scope on an M1A is the mount, get a good one like the Arms 40, Smith Enterprise or Sadlak. If you got one of the Springfield armory aluminum mounts, sell it on ebay and buy one of the above. Dont waste your money on a cheap mount.

rksimple
03-13-2008, 12:08 PM
but NF is American made & rock solid

Is that why they say Made in Japan on them? They're assembled here. Just like some Schmidt and Benders put together by Premier Reticle in VA.

For under 1k, its Loopy, Nikon, or IOR. IOR's customer service is getting better, but if the scope needs to go back for repairs, it may have to go back to Romania to be fixed. That takes a while. I've dealt with Scott at Liberty Optics and bought a couple IOR's from him. He'll bend over backwards to make things right if there's a problem. The mk4 loopys are pretty good, but don't have quite the quality of glass that the IOR has. Some would argue the loopy to be more reliable than the IOR, and recently, I might be inclined to believe it. The Nikon tactical scopes are decent, but customer service is horrible and heaven help you if you need something fixed. Short answer: I'd go with the IOR or Loopy mk4.

BHPFan
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Vrej,

You can look around the Internet on a lot of optics sights. http://www.opticsplanet.net/riflescopes.html
http://www.supersniper.com/index.htm

Or check out www.m-14forum.com for a lot of specific answers for the M1A/M14 rifles.

If $1000 is not what you wanna spent, then you can rule out Swaroski and Schmidt & Bender.

For the M1A/M14 and the distance you stated (600 yds), pretty much all need is a 10X magnitude.

Best.

(Of course, if you decide to part with your M1A rifle, name a price ;) )

glockman19
03-13-2008, 12:39 PM
I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 6-24x40 with adjustable paralax. Works great for the price I think I paid around $485 and got it from www.opticsplanet.com also try www.opticsgiant.com

aplinker
03-13-2008, 3:16 PM
For my Rem 700 I bought a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 side focus for $250. Nikon makes excellent glass and the low cost makes it a bargain to start learning LR shooting.

I own this scope, as well. It's very good for the money.

rksimple
03-13-2008, 4:40 PM
I own this scope, as well. It's very good for the money.

+1. Forgot to mention that in my post. I have one on an AR and love it. With around 50 MOA of internal adjustment, finger adjustable, zeroable knobs, and a mildot reticle, theres not much inside of 6 or 700 yards you can't handle.

sb_pete
03-14-2008, 1:34 AM
+1 on not listening to turners. good prices, retards behind the counter. Alot like Big5 in that respect.

That said, it sounds like you've got enough cash to buy good gear so you have alot of options. I would look around a bit, look through some different scopes and notice the differences.

You are target shooting so I would get something with Mil dots rather than a hunting oriented scope.
You will probably want a side, turret adjusted parallax.

Most scopes with these features are marketed as tactical 'cause that's what sells 'em.
You don't really need the extra durability of a fixed power so I would probably be looking at 3-9or12x and 4-16x scopes.

I'd say check out those Milletts and Falcons, then look at the Leupolds, IOR Valdadas, Nikons, Zeiss, etc. Make your decision but save room to buy good rings, maybe a QD base for sh;ts and giggles; then buy ammo and some of the range gear you're going to be needing, wanting, or thinking would be real nifty to have for that kind of shooting (spotting scope, possibly a bipod, anti-cant device, a MILdot master chart, etc.)

In any case, have fun.

fourZero
03-14-2008, 12:42 PM
The most important part for a scope on an M1A is the mount, get a good one like the Arms 40

You mean the ARMS 18?

EZ G
03-14-2008, 6:08 PM
Big +1 on cutting loose the SA mount. I am also a big fan of Sadlak and they have a new one (Airborne) which I will be putting on my scout.

I have a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 and have shot it alongside an IOR, a Nightforce and a Zeiss. The Zeiss was hands down the winner. That being said the IOR was fantastic, very close and for the money, you just can't beat them. The only issue with them is warranty/service.

tygerpaw
03-14-2008, 8:51 PM
You mean the ARMS 18?

Doh! Yeah, the ARMS-18. I hate it when I make myself look like a noob! I have one on my M1A too.....

ARMS 40 is an AR mount, right?

1911_Mitch
03-14-2008, 9:26 PM
I use an ARMS18 mount. It is rock solid and the lowest mounting of all the M14 mounts. Smith Enterprise and Sadlak are cream of the crop also (for the M14 mounts and other parts).

The SA mounts are netoriously junk for long term reliability (keeping tightness and zero).

Note that with the higher mounts and scope/rings you will need to use a cheek rest with the standard GI stock.

I use a Leupold lightweight 3x9x33 set in ARMS low mounts with a 1" spacers. The scope is compact, low, lightweight and the variable 3x9 setting works great for shots from 50-500 yds.

vrejshah209
03-15-2008, 9:14 PM
Wow! thanks guys! I am convinced to scrap the SA mount. It seems like I gotta get one of these:

1. A.R.M.S.#18 $184
2. Smith Enterprise has 4 models ranging form $320-550
3. Sadlak Industries Titanium version for $395

I like the ARMS 18 and it is only slightly more than the SA.

I must admit I am new to shooting with scopes. I Have always been a handgun/iron sights shooter. I want to try to get into new aspects an try the tactical long range stuff. I like the suggestion that seems to make sense to get something like a Nikon and try it first. If I like it then step up to a Sadlak with a Schmidt & Bender.

Anyone want to buy a NIB SA gen III mount :D

Hoop
03-15-2008, 9:25 PM
I like the suggestion that seems to make sense to get something like a Nikon and try it first.

I recently bought a nikon 2.5-10 monarch for ~369. It's on par with a leupold VXIII or mark 4, very bright. Finger adjustable knobs are another plus.

IOR makes a nice straight 6X tactical scope for ~500, that would go good on an M1A too.

Either way post up when you get your setup finalized, I'm thinking of taking the plunge on an M1A.

EZ G
03-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Sadlak just came out with a new model in between the titanium and the steel. compromise middle ground as to weight and price 2 hundred something. I think it is called the airborne. I will have to check. Suppposedly seeing service currently by our troops.

ricknadine1111
04-10-2008, 6:19 PM
:DI don't want to go cheap but also don't want to break the bank. I just go a SA third gen mount that most say works great for the money so I will be using that. I will be mostly bench shooting in the Angeles range. I think it goes out to 500 or 600 yards. I really don't know what kind of magnification I need or what is best for the M1A. The Turnes guys said Leopold Mark 4 but it is a bit pricey. I am looking to keep it under $1000 but it won't brake that bank to go a couple 100 more. Thanks for all the info guys.

:D Check out the super sniper its sold to the navy ( seals) and I bought one for my socom and its a perfect fit.

jimbo1747
04-10-2008, 7:28 PM
+1 on the Super Sniper if you want a fixed power scope (it comes in 10X, 16X, or 20X). But if you want a variable power, look into the Nikon Monarch. I personally think Nikons are the best bang for the buck.

Blacktail 8541
04-10-2008, 8:20 PM
If you like the Sadlak mount but don't want to spend that much money , try the aluminum version. $ 145.00 at Brownells'. And it is in stock. It is exactly the same as the steel version but made out of 7075 t6 aluminum. It is also very tough. Ask me how I know. Mike Sadlak and I had a very long conversation on its attributes.
http://http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=20767&title=M14/M1A%20TITANIUM%20TACTICAL%20MOUNT

ocabj
04-10-2008, 8:31 PM
Forget the scope. Use the sights. The M14 platform has excellent service rifle sights. Repeatable and accurate. Learn how to use them. Especially if most of what you're doing is bench shooting.

saki302
04-11-2008, 5:54 AM
My fave is the Nikon Tactical- it's comparable to a Leupold Mk4. We compared a Nightforce, Leupold M3 Tactical, and Nikon 4-16x tactical side by side at night (looking at street lamps). The Nikon was brightest by far. The leupold 2nd, Nightforce last. BUT Nightforce has the widest range of eye relief- you don't have to hold your head in a set position for it to look good (works great on my .50- your head can be well and back!).

That said, make sure you get a GOOD M1A scope mount to go with it if you want to run optics. I have a Springfield 3rd Gen I'd sell, which is probably the cheapest mount I'd go with. There are better ones out there in the $200+ range.

The NM sights are among the best peep sights on any military rifle too, if you don't mind using irons.

-Dave

Cypriss32
04-11-2008, 7:17 AM
My fave is the Nikon Tactical- it's comparable to a Leupold Mk4. We compared a Nightforce, Leupold M3 Tactical, and Nikon 4-16x tactical side by side at night (looking at street lamps). The Nikon was brightest by far. The leupold 2nd, Nightforce last. BUT Nightforce has the widest range of eye relief-

WOW!

gosparx
04-11-2008, 8:06 AM
I have a NightForce on one M1A (SuperMatch) and a Trijicon ACOG TA55A on another (Standard).

Both are very different and neither inexpensive, but I really like them both.

Actually, IMO, I've enjoyed and gotten more accuracy out of myself and the guns by setting them up in JAE-100 stocks. Once again, not inexpensive, but I can't say enough good about that stock (especially now with the GEN IIs coming out).

stag1500
04-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50 with target turrets on my M1A NM. I couldn't be happier with my setup. The clarity you get from a Zeiss scope, even at 20X magnification, makes it well worth the money. The scope also comes with a transferable lifetime warranty.

Hunter158
04-16-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't want to go cheap but also don't want to break the bank. <SNIP>. The Turnes guys said Leopold Mark 4 but it is a bit pricey. I am looking to keep it under $1000 <SNIP>.

Try looking up the Leupold Mk2. They come in a variety of power ranges, and typically come in much less than your $1k limit. Nice product. I have one on a target rifle and have been very impressed with it.

Bongos
04-16-2008, 10:59 AM
M1A loaded at best is 1.5-2" at 100 yard guns, I would not spend more than $400 for a scope and $200-$300 for a mount, Arms and Enterprise are great mounts, stay away form SA mounts, Leupold and Super Snipers are goos options... Ifyo do decide to make it into a National Match, at best you will get 1" @ 100 yards so the scopes would still be the mention above.

QuarterBoreGunner
04-16-2008, 9:14 PM
Ifyo do decide to make it into a National Match, at best you will get 1" @ 100 yards

Seriously?
Have you even shot an M1A?