PDA

View Full Version : Any problems shooting AW's?

drifts1
03-12-2008, 5:49 PM
I routinely hear folks speak of getting funny looks, being questioned on BB legality, using 10/30 or 30rd mags with OLL's and such. Does anyone get the same reactions when shooting registered AW's? I dont know if its just me but I've never been questioned or received weird looks when shooting my AW from anyone, wether it be fellow shooters, range masters/employees, rangers or law enforcement. Just kind of curious why people are so judgemental on what others have or are shooting unless of course its in admiration and all they hope for is an invite to squeeze off a few. Thoughts?

ocabj
03-12-2008, 6:34 PM
No hassles ever. The only ARs I shoot are registered AW. I never built any of the OLLs I bought.

bwiese
03-12-2008, 6:40 PM
Yeah, same as ocabj above... never a problem - other than occ RSO looking all googly eyed at multiple nice toys on the bench.

Of course, apperance may have something to do with this - I don't look like a youngster or banger, and it's clear I (and the folks I shoot with) are Serious Gunnies.

All my ARs & FALs are reg'd AWs.

All my AR mags are pre2000 hicaps.

My autoloader pistols (except S&W M&P, and the G21 I'm gonna sell) have hicaps. In 1999, I bought hicap mags for guns I don't even own yet.

I use my toys without fear. I do carry AW reg paperwork just in case - though not legally required, I could envision a traffic stop where the link to the AFS computers might be down or database screwed; I know what kinda IT/tech types local & state LE hire, which is why I'm prepared.

jkasandiego
03-12-2008, 7:30 PM
Never had a problem shooting them. I do own registered(aw)ar's and an AK.
as what Bill said, i do bring my "paper works" everytime i take it out .
At one time SD Sheriff were watching me shooting my ak with the hi cap mags and was not bothered.
But occasionally some local shooters ask me if my hi cap mags are legal.

USN CHIEF
03-12-2008, 7:42 PM
I have only been questioned once about the legality of my Registered AW's over at the range... It came from an off duty cop.. Needless to say, he looked like a complete idiot because he did not know that Active Duty Military were able to obtain permits before getting stationed in CA.. At the end he ended up shooting some of guns and we became friends..

Spyder
03-12-2008, 9:37 PM
I don't have any registered AW's, but my OLL's have never been an issue. Everyone seems to just take it in stride. Some drooling and hanging around hoping for an invitation to shoot is always evident though...

Greg-Dawg
03-12-2008, 9:40 PM
Just kind of curious why people are so judgemental on what others have or are shooting...Thoughts?

Jealousy and ignorance is pretty much what's goes on in their minds.

shark92651
03-12-2008, 11:49 PM
I was at Burro this past Sunday and there were so many people shooting OLL and registered AW (or so it seems) that the guys shooting the bolt action and non-pistol grip rifles seemed out of place. I am exaggerating a bit, but I have never seen so many AR and AK rifles in a single range trip.

RegularLT1
03-13-2008, 1:38 AM
I was at Burro this past Sunday and there were so many people shooting OLL and registered AW (or so it seems) that the guys shooting the bolt action and non-pistol grip rifles seemed out of place. I am exaggerating a bit, but I have never seen so many AR and AK rifles in a single range trip.

First time I went to a range in Cali (after moving from TX and leaving my Bushie with a friend), I was shocked to see that 2/3 of the folks on the rifle range were shooting AR's... LOL.

I didn't know much about the OLL thing at the time, but after seeing it I got AR-envy (again) and have an OLL build of my own nearly complete :D

RECCE556
03-13-2008, 3:26 AM
No problems for me either...my OLL's are just place holders for uppers that don't have a corresponding RAW lower... :D

Like Bill, I have a truckload of pre-ban mags and mags for guns I STILL don't even own (why the hell did I buy Grease Gun mags again??)

Mac
03-13-2008, 12:47 PM

saki302
03-13-2008, 4:45 PM
Like Bill, I have a truckload of pre-ban mags and mags for guns I STILL don't even own (why the hell did I buy Grease Gun mags again??)

Yuo never know- you may end up with a USA with grease gun mag well someday :D

I have a few I bought that I have no idea what gun they fit (came in a big box with a bunch of crap in 1996)- I'll bring them to the magazine guy at the gun shows one day and ask..

-Dave

saki302
03-13-2008, 4:46 PM
I've always brought AW paperwork and never been asked for it.

It's a good idea to keep with you, as my FFL (and retired cop) buddy told me they can't access DOJ's database unless a crime has been comitted for the AW check- or at least when he was on duty.

-Dave

devil1
03-13-2008, 6:30 PM
I usually go to USI in Concord and I have never had an issue. I get a couple of questions of people interested in purchasing an AR and that is about it. I always transport mine with a 10 round magazine not the 10/20s.

4sd911
03-13-2008, 6:37 PM
No problems with shooting AW's, but a cook at the prison told me that "all black rifles are contraband".

supersonic
03-14-2008, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=bwiese;1060516]

Of course, apperance may have something to do with this - I don't look like a youngster or banger, and it's clear I (and the folks I shoot with) are Serious Gunnies.

QUOTE]

NO FRIGGIN' S**T!!!!:p (but you're VERY cute.....just not my type!!!!!;):p)
Scott

Paratus et Vigilans
03-14-2008, 9:24 AM
My EBR's are all OLL, so this may be a minor thread jack, but I wanted to second what Bill said about appearances having much to do with not attracting scrutiny at the range.

I'm more than old enough to have registered AW's, and probably would have some if I'd been paying attention back when that was going on, but at the time I was not actively shooting or shopping. However, when I go to the range to exercise my OLL rifles, I suspect most people think that my OLL rifles are registered AW's. I am discrete and businesslike at the range, and the way I use my BB, most people probably would not notice that it IS a BB and not a regular mag release. (I use the protruding-top-round-from-the-next-mag method, and practice doing it so it happens smoothly and swiftly - - unless I botch it up!)

I have no doubt that if I dressed and acted differently at the range, I would get more scrutiny than I do.

Bottom line, if you act like it's no big deal and don't jack around, no one's likely to question you, regardless of whether your EBR is a registered AW or an OLL build.

simonov
03-14-2008, 9:36 AM

Have you seen many bullet buttons at Angeles Ranges?

ar15barrels
03-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I have been questioned by noobs at Angeles why I have hicap mags and a mag release with a pistol grip.
I just tell them it's registered.
Then they are jealous.