PDA

View Full Version : want to get into bow hunting.

kielbasavw
03-25-2014, 9:50 AM
I recently got Into hunting with rifles and shotguns this past year. I would love to be able to have an excuse to get out doors more often and have a second season for things.

I had a bow patch when I was in the boy scouts. But that was a really long time ago, in fact I found my old compound bow. But that will not work for me any more.

Curious what I will need to get started. I did some research and seems some bows have quite a bit of complexity to them.

My measured my arm span, and @ 74" 2.5 = 29.6 for draw length.

How do I figure the draw weight id want. And what accessories id want/need?

I really dont want to spend a huge amount. This is more for a hobby, to get more outdoors, but want something to get the job done. I am not against purchasing second hand items either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

rodeoflyer
03-25-2014, 10:45 AM
If you're in Anaheim, head over to Hi-Tec Archery. They have everything anyone could ever need. They aren't the cheapest around, and the customer service varies between the person and the day, but they are the best archery shop in SoCal.

I personally don't like the thought of buying used, because you will need the bow properly set up and at least baseline tuned for YOU. That service comes with the sale of a new bow. If you bring a bow in from somewhere else most shops are going to charge you for it. Considering the knowledge and the cost of the tools it's still worth it, but in the end you wont save much on used gear.

p1choco
03-28-2014, 7:34 PM
The start up cost can be pricey. If you want to go the budget route you'll end up spending more money upgrading. Better release, better arrow rest, better sights, better arrows etc. Decide on a bow. Speed isn't king. Anything hitting anywhere near 300fps is fast enough. Personally, I would do my research on all my components and go in with an idea of how you want your bow set up for your specific purpose. Doing that research will get you a ballpark number for the cost. Let the shop fit your bow and get you sighted in. You'll have to return after you launch a couple hundred arrows as the string/cables will stretch and you'll need the bow tuned again. When everything is right and you do your part, fist sized groups at 60 yards is easily doable.

Jimmy Deuce
04-24-2014, 4:47 PM
I like Hi-Tech but would avoid them for buying hardware(bow, sight, etc) do to prices.I do like Hi-Tech if I need my bow worked on. I bought my bow, arrows, rest, field point online for under $400. Of course this will vary depending on what bow etc.

bigbossman
05-12-2014, 1:44 PM
The only way you're gonna find out exactly what you proper setup is, is to go to a pro shop and work with them. 50-60lb draw on a modern bow will kill just about anything, and do it quickly. If you are in decent shape and have no shoulder/neck/muscle issues, 60lbs is an easy draw for most adult men. Also - most bows are adjustable within a range, say 45-60lbs as an example.

Lurking around Craig's List for used equipment can pay off......... IF you know what you need and what you're looking at.

Last year I was able to pick up two nice bow packages off of CL for $250 or less each, all in - arrows, case, release, sights, rest, etc. One was a 2006 Bowtech TomKat that I was more than pleased with until I bought the other one, a 2012 Diamond Outlaw. That Diamond makes me feel sorry for the targets. The TomKat was "good to go" as it sat, The Outlaw needed a new string and some tweaking that set me back an additional $150.

If you go used, it is caveat emptor - you spin the wheel and you take your chances. You can save big money because bows depreciate faster than Chrysler's, but it can bite you in the *** if you're not careful.

If you go to a (good) pro shop, you'll pay retail but you get expert advice, setup, and warranty for your money. That can end up saving your butt if you are not familiar with the equipment.

One thing I do recommend is to NOT do what I did - just go fishing without too much knowledge and buy a bow that looks good to you. I got pretty lucky, but I learned something when I bought and shot the second one - bows are not all similar and different makes/models have different a different feeling and different characteristics. Take your time, hit the pro shops to try different bows and ask questions. Who knows - maybe they'll put a nice package together for you that makes everyone happy..... but at the least you'll have more knowledge when you go swimming in the used market shark tank.

echoThreeOneSix
05-19-2014, 1:03 AM
oh wow. this is a lot more involved than i would have thought... thanks for all the info guys.

BigBronco
05-25-2014, 8:35 AM
Using the arm length method of measuring your draw length does not take in to account using a mechanical release. A mechanical release like 85% of all archers use and 99% of compound shooters use will shorten the final draw length of your set up. Hi-tech will be able to measure your true draw length. Fortunately most modern compounds are adjustable within an inch or so for draw length.

Try to buy a bow with your draw length in the center of the adjustment range. Your working draw length will change a bit as you work on and settle in to your form. Usually it will shorten as you start getting comfortable with shooting and your stance becomes less rigid andstiff.

kielbasavw
05-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Well, I found a deal on ebay I couldn't pass up, when it mr fedex man drops it off, ill snap some pics and post in its own thread. But ill tell ya what its bow.
Bear charge 26-30" draw length and 60-70# weight, with the ready to hunt package, 9 arrows, some broad heads, a release, and a camo plano hard case, all for $250 to my door.

KrisDSA
05-30-2014, 10:55 PM
There is a good place to go around palmdale ?? Sorry to high jack

bigbossman
05-31-2014, 4:49 PM
Well, I found a deal on ebay I couldn't pass up, when it mr fedex man drops it off, ill snap some pics and post in its own thread. But ill tell ya what its bow.
Bear charge 26-30" draw length and 60-70# weight, with the ready to hunt package, 9 arrows, some broad heads, a release, and a camo plano hard case, all for $250 to my door.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. that bow gets decent reviews, and sells for about $400 new in a RTK configuration. You got a hard case and about $100 worth of arrows, broad heads, and a release to boot.

Here's hoping it suits you, and is in good shape when it shows up!

kielbasavw
05-31-2014, 5:17 PM
Yeah, I found a 30min review video on youtube of the bow. It was a very good and thorough review and it was on a positive note.

Did you miss a #? Or those extras really worth zero? Haha

bigbossman
05-31-2014, 5:56 PM
Yeah, I found a 30min review video on youtube of the bow. It was a very good and thorough review and it was on a positive note.

Did you miss a #? Or those extras really worth zero? Haha

Ooops - meant "about" $100. :)

Assuming the arrows are carbon, decent arrows are at least $60/dozen, the release is another $30 and the broad-heads are ~$30 for 3. Add another $30 - $40 for the hard case.

If it suits you and it is in good shape, you did very well.

Ism415
05-31-2014, 9:41 PM
DW- 70#
DL- 28"
Arrow - 394 grains
FPS- 294
Hit pie plates at 100 yards. Anyone can do it.

I shoot gold tip pros with 100grain heads
My arrows run me about $150 out the door.

I would love to help in any way I can... shoot me a pm.

Sine Metu
05-31-2014, 11:09 PM
This site has some good basic education in terms of a buyer's guide. Will also give you an idea of some entry level pricing packages, but a bow is something you should get in person, so that it is tuned for you.

Hunter's Friend (http://www.huntersfriend.com/compound_bow_selection_guide.html)

kielbasavw
06-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Well. Bow came in today. He shipped it in its case, so case is broken. It has the wrong quiver that wont mount on the bow. The aftermarket stabilizer broke off, the string is frayed in several places, and serving in some spots are seperating.

So much for "excellent condition and ready to hunt"
He has yet to return messages, which he was instantly quick to return about other questions I asked. Well see how he will handle this.

wjc
06-06-2014, 9:47 PM
Well. Bow came in today. He shipped it in its case, so case is broken. It has the wrong quiver that wont mount on the bow. The aftermarket stabilizer broke off, the string is frayed in several places, and serving in some spots are seperating.

He has yet to return messages, which he was instantly quick to return about other questions I asked. Well see how he will handle this.

You should have bought a recurve.

:D

kielbasavw
06-06-2014, 9:51 PM
Haha

Manpants
06-06-2014, 10:25 PM

Was probably dry fired and beat to crap to begin with. I have a 2014 PSE Surge with a Black Gold "RUSH" 5 pin sight (.019), Ripcord Code Red Drop away Rest and some other nice goodies I could make a deal for you on. The rest and sight are about a week old. String is nice and fresh as well. It was just tuned and currently 28.5" DL @ 62# DW adjustable to 30/70. Definately better than the "Ready to shoot" package.

igorts
06-06-2014, 10:32 PM
look at archerytalk.com forums for info and equipment.
bow has to fit you, not otherwise.
return that eBay crap, claim with PayPal , you are protected.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

kielbasavw
06-07-2014, 7:57 PM
Well I was reimbursed $102.20 for broken stuff, thats what it will cost to replace, ill just see if I canfix case a little, new stabilizer. Posted on AT and they said string looks to be okay, peep sight just needs to be re served in.

Everything else seems okay. I paid under $150 for it all now, bow new was $400.

Diamondpigeon
06-08-2014, 11:58 PM
You can bring the bow to us and we will happily go through it for you. We dezl with quite a few of these each week. It really is very hard to tell what the history of a bow is if you buy it used. We also have 2 ranges (bulls eye and 3D) as well as a fully stocked store and service center. We are in Newhall so it is a bit of a drive from where you are.
www.oaktreegunclub.com

bigbossman
06-10-2014, 2:17 PM
I would have someone that knows what they're looking at take a gander at your string and servings. Pictures on AT might not tell the same story as an in-person inspection - and trust me, you don't want to have your string come apart at full draw. It tends to degrade your shooting enjoyment when that happens.

RobG
06-10-2014, 2:44 PM
Sounds like overall the bow itself is in good shape. Buy new strings, don't mess with ones that are frayed and have serving separations. I like Archeryshack.com strings myself although there are many good builders that you can find on Archerytalk.com. Since you are new to it all I suggest finding a reputable and experienced shop to get you set up.

Stabilizers and quivers are easy replaced components. Either online or at a pro shop.