PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan lower receivers?

tntgood
03-12-2008, 9:59 AM
Is anyone familiar with Vulcan Receivers? any good?
By yhe way spoke with Danial at Old West in Redding, Very helpfull and said they have Vulcans in stock but if I wanted to order another brand they would be more than happy to process the paperwork and recive shipment.

GREAT GUY AND SHOP!

AfricanHunter
03-12-2008, 10:25 AM
The search function is your friend.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50947

Hopi
03-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Friends don't let friends build vulcan guns......get another lower, pretty much any other lower will work great.

JBird33
03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I bought one of the forged ones from Olde West before I did any research, and it actually worked out fine. I used a RRA LPK to put it together and everything went together flawlessly. Finish is actually pretty good too. If you haven't bought one yet, I would go ahead and say just to get another brand just because there has been so many reports of trouble with Vulcans. My personal experience though, it worked out just fine.

philthy209
03-12-2008, 1:25 PM
mine runs fine.

brokestudent12
03-12-2008, 1:43 PM
this was one of my first builds years ago before i heard about calguns, my lower has seen over 10k rounds with no problems here.

Steyr_223
03-12-2008, 2:11 PM
I got a Vulcan lower in late 2005. It was a PITA to remove the glued/pinned mag that it came with. Now it sports a RRA LPK, MMG and a fixed stock. Works fine with my Rock River Uppers..

S

C.G.
03-12-2008, 4:11 PM
Cosmetically, all of mine look crappy, especially the HAR-25s but they do work.

devjunk762
03-12-2008, 4:44 PM
My Vulcan lowers work just fine. There are better lowers out there, though, for the money. I happened to "invest" in two Vulcan lowers (pinned mags) before the whole OLL craze happened. They've worked fine for me, but if I could magically convert them to Fultons, I'd be a happy camper.

aplinker
03-12-2008, 4:48 PM
Can they work? Sure

Do they usually? Yes

Do they have a greater tendency to be out of spec? Yes

Are they ugly? As hell

Will you ever be able to sell it on Calguns? Unlikely

Are they a good value and choice? No

Gunner1
03-12-2008, 4:52 PM
+1 on that ucla plinker. I could not have said it better.

Gunner:51:

Got Stuff?
03-12-2008, 6:19 PM
I have 2 vulcan's and they both work just fine, always have. A buddy of mine bought 2 vulcan's soon after I did (he liked mine) and they too work just as well as mine.

nothing4u
03-12-2008, 6:25 PM
I have one and it works but while at the gun store the guy at the counter also showed me one where the hole for the rear take down pin didn't even line up with the upper. Wait and get a different brand.

sloguy
03-12-2008, 6:49 PM
im very happy with my stag15.

ive never seen a vulcan in real life, but ive heard horror stories from so many people. unless it was dirt cheap id skip it and get something with a better reputation.

htalkomar
03-12-2008, 6:56 PM
I bought one. It was 1/4" too narrow in the rear half, and the trigger holes were so big that when I fired the gun they "walked" right out of the firearm. The finish was wavy and poorly done, and it eventually broke into pieces on me. Terrible idea! Tried a bunch of others, they all worked out great. If you're goal is to save money, try the Tactical Rifles lowers made by Mega Machine. Last I checked www.ColdWarShooters.com had them for only $99. They had Double Stars for $115. I've used them both and they were just as good as the more expensive brands I've used. You're not gonna like the Vulcan. But you'll really like just about any other brand out there.

anyracoon
03-12-2008, 7:52 PM
I bought one at the start of the OLL craze several years back. It shot fine except it took a punch and hammer to push the take down pin out. Than last year the mag went south. Clean all the glue out and it is now my 22LR Cleiner rife. Not really good for anything else.

RECCE556
03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
This pretty much says it all...

http://www.vulcanarmament.com/gfx/vulcan_logo.jpg

tntgood
03-12-2008, 10:55 PM
The search function is your friend.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50947

I read this and nowhere did it mention Vulcan that I could see. I may have missed it though.

I have narrowed it down to mega or Stag, just need to make up my mind:confused:

Hopi
03-12-2008, 10:56 PM
I read this and nowhere did it mention Vulcan that I could see. I may have missed it though.

I have narrowed it down to mega or Stag, just need to make up my mind:confused:

Mega, hands down. I own both.

sszeto
03-12-2008, 11:04 PM
+1 on MEGA. My Vulcan's mag release button was out of spec and had to make the hole larger to get the button fit in there.

Wyseguy
03-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Hopefully you got in on the Spikes group buy!!!

tntgood
03-13-2008, 12:01 AM
MEGA IT IS!!!!!!:Ivan:

All the research I can find says it's top of the line as far as quality goes.
will order it tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help, I went to Redding (110 mile drive) and looked at the vulcan and was not impressed. Old West's customer service and attitude, A++++. I'll have my mega shipped to them for sure:D

JBird33
03-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah Olde West kicks ***. Love that shop.

bigthaiboy
03-13-2008, 4:09 PM
A guy at the range asked me for help with a jammed bolt on his new AR build a few months ago. On taking apart the rifle to release the bolt, I found the hole for the buffer spring retaining spring on the Vulcan lower was too small to take the pin, so the builder put it together thinking the pin seated outside the hole with the spring inside. Of course the whole thing sprung loose on the first round. He had to go home and drill the buffer spring retainer hole in the lower to a larger diameter.

So the tales of off-spec manufacturing are true.

DedEye
03-13-2008, 4:25 PM
CMMG or LMT ;).

weezil_boi
03-13-2008, 4:53 PM
I may end up trading some ammo for a Vulcan Lower... am I nuts? Its about $40-50 worth of ammo and I am getting another receiver from him anyway, so the DROS fee is moot.

In my shoes, would ya do it???

aplinker
03-13-2008, 5:17 PM
yes

a garbage AR lower that functions is still a functioning AR. It has no real effect on how the rifle performs.

I may end up trading some ammo for a Vulcan Lower... am I nuts? Its about $40-50 worth of ammo and I am getting another receiver from him anyway, so the DROS fee is moot.

In my shoes, would ya do it???

RECCE556
03-13-2008, 11:33 PM
CMMG or LMT ;).
You really want me to talk about the CMMG uppers that didn't fire correctly? ;)

As for LMT, as of late, I would double inspect their stuff before you think it's GTG. Like I've stated previously, I used to trust them wholly but then I ran into batches of out of spec parts. I still use some of their products but I REALLY check 'em before I consider them GTG. They do have good customer service but it's still a PITA to have to send back parts (on your dime) when the parts should have been inspected from the start because I don't know about you guys, but I'm not getting paid to be anyone's final QC check.

weezil_boi, like UCLAPlinker stated "a garbage AR lower that functions is still a functioning AR"...that is mostly true. The only exception is that you are actually able to tell that the AR lower in question really is 100% functional. Sometimes, it may work well for a while and then the out of "spec-ness" will start to rear its ugly head with odd wear or "mysterious" malfunctions (both of which I've seen). Of course, some areas can be out of spec and it may not affect anything (like the out-of-spec magwell that Bushmaster had a while back that wouldn't accept certain batches of Orlite mags...not a problem so long as you don't use those batches of Orlite mags)

Another issue that may not show up immediately is if the lower is made with a reject forging (not up to metallurgical specs)...it could break under some situations. Even on a forged or billet upper, if the machining isn't done well or properly, it can cause weak spots that may not show up immediately.

Will any of this happen? Probably not...but what I've learned is that the better quality parts make this probability even smaller. To some, it's worth it, to others, it's not.

If I were you, I would pay more money to get a quality lower if I were building a "only" AR or a SHTF AR. If it's just a plinker/weekend warrior type build, it probably won't matter.

aplinker
03-13-2008, 11:51 PM
In Weezil's situation it's a perfect AR lower to use with randomly acquired parts. A franken-AR. Chances are any out of spec issue won't matter, and it's certainly not his go-to weapon, nor his first, because of that I said yes, in his situation. A $40 lower like that would be perfect for a .22 build.

You really want me to talk about the CMMG uppers that didn't fire correctly? ;)

As for LMT, as of late, I would double inspect their stuff before you think it's GTG. Like I've stated previously, I used to trust them wholly but then I ran into batches of out of spec parts. I still use some of their products but I REALLY check 'em before I consider them GTG. They do have good customer service but it's still a PITA to have to send back parts (on your dime) when the parts should have been inspected from the start because I don't know about you guys, but I'm not getting paid to be anyone's final QC check.

weezil_boi, like UCLAPlinker stated "a garbage AR lower that functions is still a functioning AR"...that is mostly true. The only exception is that you are actually able to tell that the AR lower in question really is 100% functional. Sometimes, it may work well for a while and then the out of "spec-ness" will start to rear its ugly head with odd wear or "mysterious" malfunctions (both of which I've seen). Of course, some areas can be out of spec and it may not affect anything (like the out-of-spec magwell that Bushmaster had a while back that wouldn't accept certain batches of Orlite mags...not a problem so long as you don't use those batches of Orlite mags)

Another issue that may not show up immediately is if the lower is made with a reject forging (not up to metallurgical specs)...it could break under some situations. Even on a forged or billet upper, if the machining isn't done well or properly, it can cause weak spots that may not show up immediately.

Will any of this happen? Probably not...but what I've learned is that the better quality parts make this probability even smaller. To some, it's worth it, to others, it's not.

If I were you, I would pay more money to get a quality lower if I were building a "only" AR or a SHTF AR. If it's just a plinker/weekend warrior type build, it probably won't matter.

4D5auto
03-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Saw that Vulcan at Old West the other day, it really didn't look bad at all, finish was nice, but I guess you really don't know till you build it!! Couldn't be any worse than the crap SGW pumped into the state during the gun ban of 89. If anyone has an SGW receiver, Olympic Arms, with serial numbers beginning with the letter "C" for CA, they are pure CRAP. I honestly believe they were machined out of spec with no QC done on them, just to hurry and push them out the door! Most uppers wouldn't mount up to the lowers without some hand work!! A lot of these shops don't care what they ship to this state and figure we should just be happy with what we get, since we can't get the complete gun..

1lostinspace
03-14-2008, 12:25 AM
If I were you I would go with a Mega or Stag or anything else I would stay away from Volcan.

4D5auto
03-14-2008, 9:09 AM
Good source for Mega or Stag??

philthy209
03-14-2008, 9:48 AM
Can they work? Sure

Do they usually? Yes

Do they have a greater tendency to be out of spec? Yes

Are they ugly? As hell

Will you ever be able to sell it on Calguns? Unlikely

Are they a good value and choice? No

make this a sticky for future Vulcan ?'s.

sums it up perfectly.

weezil_boi
03-14-2008, 1:18 PM
Yes, not my first or only :) . Actually it may be a trade as part of my bullet trading project... just a guy who doesnt really want it anymore and would swap me some ammo or brass for it. Now, from what I have seen, most guys wouldnt even take one for free if they has to pay the FFL /dros for it... in my case, I may be paying that anyway... so I figured what the hell.

BUT.... I now see a flaw in my trade... If I dont USE this lower in my project, I amy very well be stuck with it. UCLA, you may be onto something with the .22 idea, but I was hoping to achieve a rifle that is a bit more grand... maybe a grendel ;) ?

I guess it was shooting just fine years ago, but it sounds like Vulcans are just such trash that even the optimists are skeptics...

Thank you all for the input.

In Weezil's situation it's a perfect AR lower to use with randomly acquired parts. A franken-AR. Chances are any out of spec issue won't matter, and it's certainly not his go-to weapon, nor his first, because of that I said yes, in his situation. A $40 lower like that would be perfect for a .22 build.

1lostinspace
03-14-2008, 6:06 PM
Good source for Mega or Stag??

I got mine from Bright spot pawn shop in corona

4D5auto
03-14-2008, 11:11 PM
It would be nice if they had a matched upper, then color is the same. I'm having a heck of a time trying to find uppers and lowers.

Blue
03-14-2008, 11:16 PM
A few years back when the fixed mag Vulcans came out a few buddies and I ordered something like 8 of them between us. They've all run fine and haven't had any problems with them.

Got Stuff?
03-15-2008, 10:29 AM
im very happy with my stag15.

ive never seen a vulcan in real life, but ive heard horror stories from so many people. unless it was dirt cheap id skip it and get something with a better reputation.

I think I paid $65.00 each for my Vulcan lowers (non fixed mag version)......as compared to $150.00 each for my Mega lowers.

uracan
12-12-2008, 3:12 PM
it seems like they're hit and miss.

BigBamBoo
12-12-2008, 8:26 PM

Gator Monroe
12-12-2008, 8:33 PM
Would you pay $180.00 including DROS ?

Rugerdaddy
12-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Wow...again.....people NOT knowing what they are talking about. The OLD..OLD Vulcans were cast and were junk. The NEW ones are forged and the fit and finish IMHO is better then most lowers I have seen...........I would buy another one in a heart beat.

Peace,Stan

I agree. I have a Vulcan lower on my home built, and it is excellent. The idea that Vulcans are inferior (based on the older cast version) is practically becoming urban myth! If you can buy a forged Vulcan for a better price, buy it. It's as good as any.

cowboyup
12-18-2008, 8:18 PM
sounds like vulcans are more trouble than there worth...thanks for the Heads Up.