PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Cordova Guns....WORST dealer ever.

xr7boost
03-12-2008, 8:24 AM
I've had a few poor experiences before at this location, but I'm buying a savage .22LR and I wanted to use a closeby shop for the FFL transfer. So I called them:

Shop: Hello?

Me: Hello, my name is X, I ordered a rifle online, and I wanted to use your FFL to do the transfer, what do you charge?

Shop: What are you transferring?

Me: A Savage .22 LR.

Shop: We sell those too, you know.

Me: OK, well it's a Savage 64 walnut stock, blued barrel and action.

Shop: I don't know if we have that, but we'll do the transfer for $137.

Me: You're out of your mind, everyone else will do it for $50.

Shop: Well then go use them! (hangs up)

These guys have all been *******s before, and when I gave them another chance, they proved it again. No more chances.

kurac
03-12-2008, 8:34 AM
I guess they don't want to assume all of the risk with doing the transfer without at least making a few bucks.

ROCKETW19
03-12-2008, 8:35 AM
I cant comment on the people them selfs but I would of charged more for the transfer. why would you expect the real shop to help support the online shops? you need to use a kitchen table FFL for that kinda transfer they have nutting to lose. If the real store front shop did thoes they would put them selfs outta work and have to close the doors.
I dont buy alot of guns but I do buy alot of sports suplements and I can get them very cheap online. sometimes I do but I also try and use the local stores to help support my bodybuilding community

ohsmily
03-12-2008, 8:37 AM
I've had a few poor experiences before at this location, but I'm buying a savage .22LR and I wanted to use a closeby shop for the FFL transfer. So I called them:

Me: Hello, my name is X, I ordered a rifle online, and I wanted to use your FFL to do the transfer, what do you charge?

These guys have all been *******s before, and when I gave them another chance, they proved it again. No more chances.

You aren't much of a customer either. Go find another dealer to do the transfer. An FFL may charge any amount they want for out of state transfers. Did you even ask what price the local store (that you say you want to use) could get you for that rifle?

Also, I will point out, that when you factor in the shipping and transfer cost of guns under about 500.00, it usually comes out the same or cheaper to just buy locally. As the cost of the gun goes up, so does the amount that you will save by buying from a wholesaler online.

ETA: I just looked up your gun and it looks like it can be had for approximately $150.00-170.00 online. Your local store probably carries it for 200.00-225.00. The shipping on your rifle will be about 20.00 and an FFL will charge AT MINIMUM 50.00 to do the transfer. So, you are up to 220.00-240.00 for buying online, plus the hassle of sending the FFL copy out and worrying about the gun being lost in shipping AND, on NEW guns, technically, you are supposed to pay sales tax on it, bringing the gun to 235.00-255.00 or so.
If you bought locally, you would pay about 200.00-225.00 base price for the gun, plus 25.00 DROS, plus 16.00 tax and you can actually see the gun you are buying before purchasing. So, out the door at the local store you would be at 236-260.00 or so. So, you could pay the same price to about 25.00 more locally. You would be supporting your local FFL and avoiding the hassle of dealing with online payments, sending checks, worrying about the tracking number, etc.

Now, if this were a 1000.00 dollar gun, you could probably save a couple hundred bucks by going through an online wholesaler making the online purchase worth it IMO.

xr7boost
03-12-2008, 8:39 AM
I'm all down for supporting the locals too, since this will only be my 2nd online purchase. I gave him the chance to offer me the same product, and he didn't want to take the time to find a price. He didn't want my business, otherwise he would have taken the time to find out what I was buying, and give me a local price. Instead, he just gave me the middle finger in the form of an inflated price.

River City will get the business, and all future business.

xr7boost
03-12-2008, 8:41 AM
You aren't much of a customer either. Go find another dealer to do the transfer. An FFL may charge any amount they want for out of state transfers. Did you even ask what price the local store (that you say you want to use) could get you for that rifle?

Also, I will point out, that when you factor in the shipping and transfer cost of guns under about 500.00, it usually comes out the same or cheaper to just buy locally. As the cost of the gun goes up, so does the amount that you will save by buying from a wholesaler online.

I'm not much of a customer? For telling him what gun I'm getting and giving him the chance to compete? You need to re-read the post.

Sydwaiz
03-12-2008, 8:46 AM
Turners now charges $125 for FFL transfers. Up from $100 last year.

You were a little rude by telling them they are out of their mind. But I do agree, that price is high. Next time ask them if they will order what you want and if they will price match. I'm sure things will go much smoother then, and if not, look elsewhere. my .02

edit: I type too slow and didn't see you gave him a chance to order what you wanted. F em.

Omega13device
I'm sorry but shops that have this attitude have zero business sense. Here's why.

- DROS takes about 10 minutes of the store employee's time to verify the paperwork is correct and make the entries. Maybe another 10 minutes to receive the firearm and store it. Maybe another 10 minutes when the purchaser picks it up. TOTAL: 30 minutes. At $50/transfer that's $100/hour. You say I'm off by a factor of 2x? Ok, you still made $50/hour which is a great hourly rate for retail!!

- If the purchaser is buying the gun from someone else, he's already decided not to buy it from you. You are NOT going to get this sale. Get over it. And guess what. Being rude does NOT increase your chances of making a sale. Surprise, surprise.

- Even though you didn't make this sale, you now have the opportunity to convert a transfer customer to a retail customer. Future revenue for you. Surprise the customer and give him a free package of targets, or something else cheap that costs you little but shows the customer you're a good guy to work with. Guess what...next time he needs something he comes to your store and you make some money. He tells his buddies and they come in and buy something.

Shop owners, if you're reading this, just remember. The goal of business is to make money. Arguing with, yelling at, and being rude to potential customers does not advance you toward that goal.

ROCKETW19
I'm all down for supporting the locals too, since this will only be my 2nd online purchase. I gave him the chance to offer me the same product, and he didn't want to take the time to find a price. He didn't want my business, otherwise he would have taken the time to find out what I was buying, and give me a local price. Instead, he just gave me the middle finger in the form of an inflated price.

River City will get the business, and all future business.

I see in you orignal post It sounded like you already bought the gun and wanted to transfer. But you were giving him a chance to earn you business and he acted lame. Well in that case I dont blame you.

Paratus et Vigilans
03-12-2008, 8:48 AM

Maybe if you hadn't told him he was "out of his mind," you possibly could have gotten a more civil response.

Alternate conversation:

You: Hmmm. That seems awfully high. Is that price negotiable? I'd really like to support your shop, but charging that much for the transfer makes it kind of hard for me to do.

Him: Well, sir, it takes a lot of time for us to handle the paperwork on one of these transactions, and we are at risk if we get anything wrong, so we choose a price for the service that makes sense to us. However, if you were to come in and buy some ammo for you new gun, and maybe some other things, I'm sure we could move a bit on the price for the transfer.

Okay, now, maybe you're never going to get that kind of a response out of them, but I guarantee that calling him "out of his mind" has a zero chance of a good outcome.

I can tell you for sure that, if someone called me and wanted to retain my services on a matter, asked my rates, and then told me I was "out of my mind" for charging such high rates, I probably wouldn't be as abrupt as the fellow at your local gun store, but I would definitely end the conversation quickly and politely suggest that they find someone whose rates are more in line with their expectations.

Pretty much what you got told, just not as nicely. I guess I'm a nicer guy! :D

ohsmily
03-12-2008, 8:50 AM
I'm not much of a customer? For telling him what gun I'm getting and giving him the chance to compete? You need to re-read the post.

OK, below is your post. In your own post, in your own words, you said that you told the dealer that you already ordered a gun online and want to know how much he charges to transfer it. Exactly how is that giving the dealer a chance to get your business?????????????

You already ordered it, how could he get your business

RUDE
GREAT answer.

Upon re-reading, as you requested, it is apparent that you don't even know what you posted or are trying to change it now. You said you already ordered it. Why should the guy waste his time on the phone quoting a price for someone who already bought a gun?

xr7boost
03-12-2008, 8:51 AM
Maybe if you hadn't told him he was "out of his mind," you possibly could have gotten a more civil response.

Alternate conversation:

You: Hmmm. That seems awfully high. Is that price negotiable? I'd really like to support your shop, but charging that much for the transfer makes it kind of hard for me to do.

Him: Well, sir, it takes a lot of time for us to handle the paperwork on one of these transactions, and we are at risk if we get anything wrong, so we choose a price for the service that makes sense to us. However, if you were to come in and buy some ammo for you new gun, and maybe some other things, I'm sure we could move a bit on the price for the transfer.

Okay, now, maybe you're never going to get that kind of a response out of them, but I guarantee that calling him "out of his mind" has a zero chance of a good outcome.

I can tell you for sure that, if someone called me and wanted to retain my services on a matter, asked my rates, and then told me I was "out of my mind" for charging such high rates, I probably wouldn't be as abrupt as the fellow at your local gun store, but I would definitely end the conversation quickly and politely suggest that they find someone whose rates are more in line with their expectations.

Pretty much what you got told, just not as nicely. I guess I'm a nicer guy! :D

Definitely, I was rude in saying he was out of his mind. I reacted, because I felt like he was telling me to EFF off with his quoted price. That is not close to reasonable. The highest I've ever seen for a transfer is $75.

ohsmily
03-12-2008, 8:53 AM
Definitely, I was rude in saying he was out of his mind. I reacted, because I felt like he was telling me to EFF off with his quoted price. That is not close to reasonable. The highest I've ever seen for a transfer is $75.

MANY dealers charge 150.00 per transfer or 10% of the cost of the gun whichever is higher. Just because you are ignorant of what other dealers charge, you thought he telling you to "eff off." So your ignorance caused you to get angry at someone who was just telling you how much they charge. You should remedy the ignorant part.

Personally, I pay $50.00 per transfer for guns I buy online. I would never pay over 100 to do it. But, an FFL can charge what he wants. Like he said, go somewhere else if you don't like it.

Soldier415
03-12-2008, 8:55 AM
- DROS takes about 10 minutes of the store employee's time to verify the paperwork is correct and make the entries. Maybe another 10 minutes to receive the firearm and store it. Maybe another 10 minutes when the purchaser picks it up. TOTAL: 30 minutes. At $50/transfer that's $100/hour. You say I'm off by a factor of 2x? Ok, you still made $50/hour which is a great hourly rate for retail!!

I take it you have never worked in a gun store. You forgot a few things such as the Manager's time to audit the paperwork, then the records guy upstairs to final audit it later.

Complete technical audit of the paperwork for a firearms transfer, including the check lists, etc. is about an hour combined.

Not to mention the time logging it into the computerized inventory, the hard copy DOJ/ATF log book, then doing the same to log it out of the system and the book when it is sold and inputting all the purchasers information.

If you really wanted to get technical, you could factor in the prorated insurance costs as that weapon is the dealers responsibility and is liable for it while it is in his shop.

xr7boost
03-12-2008, 8:56 AM
OK, below is your post. In your own post, in your own words, you said that you told the dealer that you already ordered a gun online and want to know how much he charges to transfer it. Exactly how is that giving the dealer a chance to get your business?????????????

Upon re-reading, as you requested, it is apparent that you don't even know what you posted or are trying to change it now. You said you already ordered it. Why should the guy waste his time on the phone quoting a price for someone who already bought a gun?

I guess you're not in sales. There is always an opportunity to get business, the only way you'll guarantee not making a sale is to act like this person did on the phone. Regardless of what I told him, I have actually NOT ordered it yet, and would be very receptive to what local dealers have to offer. He did not offer anything, he assumed I would never ever ever buy anything gun related ever again and made me go away.

Very poor customer service.

I admit, I reacted rudely, and I have no apologies.

xr7boost
03-12-2008, 8:59 AM
BTW, thanks to the Cal-Guns community, I got a PM offering to do the transfer for $50. Done deal, happy to give my business to someone who wants it.

aanthunter7
03-12-2008, 9:00 AM
I was up there for work a couple of weeks ago and visited the Rancho Store looking for a 22lr. They had 2 or 3 to choose from and I would have purchased if I didn't have to burn the gas and time to return and pick it up 10days later. Ammo prices seemed a little high. Seemed like nice guys.

RobG
03-12-2008, 9:01 AM
Not sure how a price you disagree with makes them the "worst" dealer ever.

Me: You're out of your mind, everyone else will do it for $50
I would have hung up on you too if you spoke to me that way.

ohsmily
03-12-2008, 9:04 AM
Not sure how a price you disagree with makes them the "worst" dealer ever. I would have hung up on you too if you spoke to me that way.

+1. The OP seems to think the store acted this way and inadvertently "lost a customer" due to their hanging up on him. What is more likely is that they hung up on him because they don't want customers like him and knew they would be wasting time in the future so they cut their losses. Everyone's money is green but some people just aren't worth it. From time to time I will fire a client if they are simply too difficult to deal with or won't follow my instructions even if they are paying my fees.

wikidklown
03-12-2008, 9:04 AM
The fact that the dude hang up on him gives me the the impression of how they treat customers but on the other hand, I only have access to one side of the story.

I find that the best FFL's are the home based ones. The only dealer I'll ever use for my stuff coming from out of state is Irvington Arms in Fremont.

kurac
03-12-2008, 9:06 AM
Put yourself in the store owners shoes. All day long he has people trying to get a gun in the back door and use his FFL for the transfer.

I was in a shop last year when some little guy (maybe 5' and 105 lbs)came in with some stuff he printed off the interent. His english was bad but I gathered he was trying to buy a Ruger Safari Grade in .458 Win Mag. Basically he found one on line cheap and now he was trying to find an FFL to accept it. Needless to say, the store owner sent him packing saying something like we are a gun store not a post office.

xr7boost
03-12-2008, 9:07 AM
+1. The OP seems to think the store acted this way and inadvertently "lost a customer" due to their hanging up on him. What is more likely is that they hung up on him because they don't want customers like him and knew they would be wasting time in the future so they cut their losses. Everyone's money is green but some people just aren't worth it. From time to time I will fire a client if they are simply too difficult to deal with or won't follow my instructions even if they are paying my fees.

Just so you don't assume anything about me, my old FFL was Old Sacramento Armory, and I was on a first name basis with 3 of the guys in there. I had purchased about 4 guns myself, and brought in 3 other people to buy guns in there. They appreciated my business, and I loved their attitudes and customer service. I am not at all a difficult person to deal with.

deleted by PC police
03-12-2008, 9:08 AM
I was in there a little while ago and they wanted over $700 for one of them plastic kel tec rifles. I believe it was used too. They also wanted a small fortune for a thrashed chinese sks. I would much rather to support a local buisness but if they are going to try to take advantage of me screw em.

Oswald2001
03-12-2008, 9:10 AM
Brick and mortar stores have overhead.

Just pay the rent on his store front for this month.

After that, I'd bet you would get a transfer for $50.

The best way to handle clueless time wasters is to hang up on them as quickly as possible.

wellfedirishman
03-12-2008, 9:15 AM
I shoot there regularly and find them to be a very nice and helpful bunch of guys. I have been quite happy with their customer service. They have let me rent stuff for free in return for buying ammo there, very decent of them.

Bizcuits
03-12-2008, 9:16 AM
I can understand your frustration.

My favorite gun shop in North Highlands, "Guns N Stuff" charges $100.00 for internet transactions.

However,

It's their shop and they do have the option of charging what they like. In the end, I try not to order guns online. I always try to find it locally at Elk Grove Gun Room, Guns N Stuff, or when they were open "Old Sac Armory".

Perhaps one of these days I'll make the haul up to BullsEye and be the irate annoying customer Soldier415 as longed for! And i'll speak lil engrish :D

Paratus et Vigilans
03-12-2008, 9:18 AM

I think you're seriously underestimating the amount of time involved. I've never had a DROS session take less than 30 minutes of in-store face time on the front end, and at least 20 minutes face time on the pick-up end, and that's on the average! Of course, I buy from places that work hard at getting the paperwork right, and have never had the kind of horror story foul-up in one of my purchases that so many posters attribute to, say, Turner's, for example.

Besides, I don't WANT to speed through the process! I LIKE being in a gun shop! I like getting to know the people who own it and work there. I like the HUMAN contact! Not only is it part of living and being a human being, it has the wonderful side-benefit that you get GREAT service when you come in or call because they KNOW who you are, and you took enough time to learn their names and get to know a little something about them.

If you walk in a place, point at what you want, grunt out that you want their rock bottom price or you'll go elsewhere or on the internet - - - what kind of treatment do you EXPECT to get???

I'm sure there are plenty of places that are run by rude jerks and a**holes, because so many people here say so - - - but oddly enough, I never seem to find any of those places - - and even my sole purchase at a Turner's went smoothly and politely with zero problems of any kind.

Draw your own conclusions! :)

xr7boost
03-12-2008, 9:18 AM
I went to a guy's shop here in town recently. He had about 20 guns in his shop when I was there and he doesn't even sell them. (not a retail front, just an FFL in an office.) They are ALL transfers. That is a guy that has adapted to the market, seen the volume of online sales, and started catering to the new market. I'm sure he's making plenty of money, and was very nice to deal with.

There is no reason for a shop to turn away transfer money.

Twinspool
03-12-2008, 9:19 AM
I will loyally support local dealers and retailers that don't suffer from recto-cranial inversion. Rancho is FOS.

Soldier415
03-12-2008, 9:20 AM
Perhaps one of these days I'll make the haul up to BullsEye and be the irate annoying customer Soldier415 as longed for! And i'll speak lil engrish :D

And you’ll be doing push ups...

;) :D

JPB
03-12-2008, 9:21 AM
I don't know, looking at this list, from this site, that guys response of $137 seems a bit belligerent to me. Keep in mind that $25 will be tacked onto these prices as a standard DROS fee.

FFL PHONE# CITY FEE NOTES (CG member, website etc)
Get A Gun 661.978.6450 Bakersfield $5($5)
Indoor Shooting Range 714.529.0300 Brea $50($?)
Ammo Bros 562.865.3980 Cerritos $50($?)
De Chiel 619.427.6342 Chula Vista $50($?)
Condor Gun Shop 760.329.6608 DesertHotSprin $44($?)
Gunrunner 626.358.7711 Duarte $75($?)
METCO Firearms #2 707.864.2666 Fairfield $50($?)
Irvington Arms 510.226.7910 Fremont $75($?)
Suchar Enterprises 310.261.8806 Hawthorne $35($?)
Entreprise Arms 626.962.8712 Irwindale $35($0?)
Uneeda Gun 909.224.1889 Moreno Valley $30($?) davegarner@aol.com
Ade's Gun Shop 714.744.3373 Orange $60($20)
City Arms 650.738.6896 Pacifica $45($?)
Diablo Valley Gun Works 925.676.4117 Pleasant Hill $50($?)
Jon Dimberg 760.375.2221 Ridgecrest $10
Bright Spot Pawn 951.360.1796 Riverside $35($20)
C&W Reloading 951.685.9416 Riverside $30($10)
Robert Snelling 916.833.9771 Sacramento $25($?)
Imbert & Smithers 650.593.4207 San Carlos $50($?)
Royal Loan 619.284.2274 San Diego $65($25)
Metroshot 818.439.5941 San Fernando $50($25)
J and J Armory 886.927.6679 Santa Ana $50($?)
Goleta Valley Gun&Supply 805.683.1867 Santa Barbara $36($?)
Paul Schaffer 805.687.1730 Santa Barbara $60($60)
Roger's Relics 408.247.5379 Santa Clara $50($15)
Don Gussler 619.258.2543 Santee $25($25)
Fort Courage Armory 805.526.6563 Simi Valley $50($10)
The Sportsman 209.532.1716 Sonora $25($0)
Tenpercent 661.765.6899 Taft $25($0)
Hadid Machine 707.217.5500 Tomales $40($25)
Shoberg Gunworks 707.463.2336 Ukiah $25($?)
National Police Supply 760.599.4410 Vista $55($?)
Pennington Firearms 951.757.9791 Wildomar $25($10)

deleted by PC police
03-12-2008, 9:26 AM
I shoot there regularly and find them to be a very nice and helpful bunch of guys. I have been quite happy with their customer service. They have let me rent stuff for free in return for buying ammo there, very decent of them.

I think he's talking about Cordova Guns, Not the Cordova range.

USN CHIEF
03-12-2008, 9:26 AM
I don't know, looking at this list, from this site, that guys response of $137 seems a bit belligerent to me. Keep in mind that $25 will be tacked onto these prices as a standard DROS fee.

JPB thank you for putting this list.... It will help alot of folks..:)

JPB
03-12-2008, 9:46 AM
No problem. It's a sticky in General Gun Discussions

xr7boost
03-12-2008, 9:57 AM
I think he's talking about Cordova Guns, Not the Cordova range.

Yes! Cordova range is great, those guys have always been really nice at the Cordova Shooting Center.

scootergmc
03-12-2008, 9:59 AM
I try not to order guns online. I always try to find it locally at Elk Grove Gun Room

You might as well order online and pay $137 in fees if you're buying at the Gun Room...:eek::p

Bizcuits
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
You might as well order online and pay $137 in fees if you're buying at the Gun Room...:eek::p

Check out their used section :D

scootergmc
03-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Check out their used section :D

I go to River City for the used section...

WINGEDSWORD
03-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Personally, I think the shop was high. But I fail to understand why anyone
would choose to buy a gun on line. I won't buy any major item, without the chance to inspect it. Sure you may save a few bucks buying it, but what about the money you'll spend, correcting it or returning it, if someting is wrong? :eek:

ohsmily
03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Personally, I think the shop was high. But I fail to understand why anyone
would choose to buy a gun on line. I won't buy any major item, without the chance to inspect it. Sure you may save a few bucks buying it, but what about the money you'll spend, correcting it or returning it, if someting is wrong? :eek:

Your points are well made. However, I find that there are many circumstances that dictate a cheaper, easier deal by getting something online. A few years ago, I bought a brand new in box rifle from a dealer for 700.00 less than MSRP (I paid 2000.00 for it). The local store would have to order that rifle for me and it would take at least 1 month AND they were charging MSRP for it. By buying online, I saved a huge amount of money. The local store could not compete on that deal. The fact that it was new in box assured me that an inspection was not necessary. Even if there was a problem with the gun, sending it back to the seller or the manufacturer is worth my 700.00+ dollars I saved.

For guns that cost 600.00 and lower, I buy local. It isn't worth buying it online when you factor in the hassle and the fact that you might only save a few bucks IF THAT by buying online when you factor in shipping and transfer fees.

cornholio1
03-12-2008, 12:20 PM
All the guns I purchased through an out of State FFL have been great. New and used. Its like ebay. You don't need to worry about the new ones. You read the sellers feedback for the used ones. It really helps on those high dollar rifles where you save on tax.

Soldier415
03-12-2008, 12:27 PM
All the guns I purchased through an out of State FFL have been great. New and used. Its like ebay. You don't need to worry about the new ones. You read the sellers feedback for the used ones. It really helps on those high dollar rifles where you save on tax.

Do you need TP? TP for your...

dfletcher
03-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I go to River City for the used section...

Absolutely - used is always more fun than new.

viras
03-12-2008, 1:01 PM
JPB thank you for putting this list.... It will help alot of folks..:)

Hey USN CHIEF, check it out - this is a list of FFLs in/around San Diego:

Shooting For San Diego Gun Stores and FFL Dealers (http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Stores.html)

mchector
03-12-2008, 1:10 PM
Hey USN CHIEF, check it out - this is a list of FFLs in/around San Diego:

Shooting For San Diego Gun Stores and FFL Dealers (http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Stores.html)

I think thats outdated I was at royal loan a couple of months ago and they wanted 75 for first and 45 for second(I think I might be off) + sales tax +25

FatOnCoke
03-12-2008, 1:32 PM
Personally, I think the shop was high. But I fail to understand why anyone would choose to buy a gun on line. I won't buy any major item, without the chance to inspect it. Sure you may save a few bucks buying it, but what about the money you'll spend, correcting it or returning it, if someting is wrong? :eek:

I buy online all the time for small and big items. New in box is new in box!
People don't inspect their new LCDs at Bestbuy before taking them home.
That's why they have online ratings to prevent the buyers from getting screwed.

It saves money, time and hassle! I have purchase 4 cars online and 2 were shipped in from another dealer. I save more than a few bucks and the risk of something goes wrong is calculated into the savings. Your credit card also can help in lots of ways.

It is easier to resell items without losing too much also. People that buy locally tend to resell at a high price because they paid more.

I’m glad you are supporting the local shops because I do visit to buy items not worth shipping. My local FFL also sells online at a lower price to compete.

There are gun shops that will charge 20% of the cost of your gun for a transfer. I saw gun support that shop on his M1A transfer. The shop was on Valley Blvd in Monterey Park. Bain & Davis isn’t cheap either frequent mostly by old timers. There was a pawn shop in my city that also wanted 20% + sale tax for a transfer a few years ago. Never been back...

Omega13device
03-12-2008, 3:27 PM
I take it you have never worked in a gun store. You forgot a few things such as the Manager's time to audit the paperwork, then the records guy upstairs to final audit it later.

Complete technical audit of the paperwork for a firearms transfer, including the check lists, etc. is about an hour combined.

Not to mention the time logging it into the computerized inventory, the hard copy DOJ/ATF log book, then doing the same to log it out of the system and the book when it is sold and inputting all the purchasers information.

If you really wanted to get technical, you could factor in the prorated insurance costs as that weapon is the dealers responsibility and is liable for it while it is in his shop.
I haven't worked in a gun store, and perhaps you're right. Maybe you even lose a few bucks.

But you're missing the forest for the trees. It's all about getting people into your store and getting them to buy stuff. I do know marketing and it's very expensive to acquire new customers. It can cost hundreds of dollars per new customer in terms of advertising, running sales, coupons, etc. And here you have a guy who is ASKING to come down to your store and give you the opportunity get him as a new customer and UPSELL HIM ON OTHER STUFF. He will even pay you $50-75 which will offset most of your costs and result in a really small customer acquisition cost. That's gold!! You'd be foolish to pass that up!

devjunk762
03-12-2008, 3:41 PM
BTW, thanks to the Cal-Guns community, I got a PM offering to do the transfer for $50. Done deal, happy to give my business to someone who wants it.

Excellent news. That's what the board is here to help out with. Personally, I always price check with local dealers before buying on-line. Most of the time, if you present a good price case, they'll deal with you.

But, that being said, buying a firearm in California is always an expensive proposition- unless you're going the route of C&R firearms OR a PPT. That's the price of living in "paradise". :)

Pulsar
03-12-2008, 4:04 PM

I'm not the guy out front at the shop I work at, I'm just a smith in the back, but I've talked to the guys out front enough to know that it takes an average of one hour to get all the paperwork shuffled through. We charge $100 for an out of state transfer. The reason it's so high is because our store usually has so many customers at any given time, the loss of face time with customers in the store because of paperwork often means a gun doesn't get sold.

A shop that only does transfers will always be lower, a storefront shop will almost always have to charge more.

motorhead
03-12-2008, 5:20 PM
the profit margin on new guns is relatively low. most shops make way more on ammo and accessories. by alienating the locals with a bad attitude about transfers they are cutting off the nose to spite the face. certainly their right in a free market economy, but not the smartest business move.
my .02

htalkomar
03-12-2008, 5:52 PM
I've had a couple shops try to charge me $125 to process mail order stuff, even had one guy near here try to charge me that to transfer his own gun. There are dealers in Sacramento who deal strictly with mail order and internet orders. Bob Snellings of Snellings Firearms is pretty good. Check him out. Last I checked he only charged $50 for mail order stuff.

halifax
03-12-2008, 6:22 PM
I went to a guy's shop here in town recently. He had about 20 guns in his shop when I was there and he doesn't even sell them. (not a retail front, just an FFL in an office.) They are ALL transfers. That is a guy that has adapted to the market, seen the volume of online sales, and started catering to the new market. I'm sure he's making plenty of money, and was very nice to deal with.

I don't get it. Why didn't you just use this guy? What was he charging?

metalhead357
03-12-2008, 6:24 PM
I haven't worked in a gun store, and perhaps you're right. Maybe you even lose a few bucks.

But you're missing the forest for the trees. It's all about getting people into your store and getting them to buy stuff. I do know marketing and it's very expensive to acquire new customers. It can cost hundreds of dollars per new customer in terms of advertising, running sales, coupons, etc. And here you have a guy who is ASKING to come down to your store and give you the opportunity get him as a new customer and UPSELL HIM ON OTHER STUFF. He will even pay you $50-75 which will offset most of your costs and result in a really small customer acquisition cost. That's gold!! You'd be foolish to pass that up!

+8311895890348932894893525898934848432848345358888 842384584

And sorry to the FFL's that are taking an hour to process paperwork, no snide remark...but what exactly are you doing? I've known many an FFL over the years and hang with one from time to time....it dont take an hour. So while I disagree with one of the earlier posts about equating it to $50 an hour I've already spoken volumes on the subject before in many a thread. But to be short and to the point-- You are missing outstanding customers when you charge outrageous fees for transfers and are unwilling to negotiate; please learn to work more wisely, please learn to get it right the first time, please learn to stop all the shop talk and unnecccesary side-line stories about how your dog was groomed....if time IS money-- then please.....please be the first to stop wasting it.....I dont mind the chit chat--- but I DO mind the chit chat AND being told you aint making enough for unfortunately necessary paperwork that no one wants to do in the first place.

I am a repeat customer to places that treat customers well, I'll drive 3-4 hours outta my way & suck up the gas fees to make it to a good FFL that treats customers right. I drive business your way-- from the ranges to the gun boards (I am not just on this board..and not always under this name;)). I have literally stood in a shop & saw a decent rifle for a decent price from a decent FFL and said/asked-- What'll ya' knock off if I buy TWO? He was shocked-- but about 4 times more so when I asked how many he had in stock & proceeded to call 3 friends right then and there--- all came & bought within 24 hours (one arriving while I was still there). And this is not a one time occurence by any stretch of the imagination. I Buy...I buy A LOTTTTTT when treated good. And I spread the word. I AM one of those fooooooools that hates shipping stuff & the time it takes for delivery & will go out of my way to find it in a store where I can touch it, feel it, and if I like it- buy it right there: and chances are more than one. Does $$$$$ 5K $$$$$ in a day from one customer who buys multiples of items (none over $500) sound like a customer you wanna chince away with a $150 transfer fee keeping me outta your shop? Now while it aint done every day it has been done & if not from me when I'm standing there-- I will drive business your way.

So back to the OP. I'm sorry to hear that Rancho went that way.... I used to use them dang near every trip south for me & just simply fell off my travels/wanderings. If the situation presents itself again, try 'em again without the fanfare/rudeness....strike up a bargain with 'em, go IN, dont call...go IN and present yourself & make a deal happen (They rarely ever happen over the phone).

Omega13device
03-12-2008, 7:58 PM
I'm not the guy out front at the shop I work at, I'm just a smith in the back, but I've talked to the guys out front enough to know that it takes an average of one hour to get all the paperwork shuffled through. We charge $100 for an out of state transfer. The reason it's so high is because our store usually has so many customers at any given time, the loss of face time with customers in the store because of paperwork often means a gun doesn't get sold.

A shop that only does transfers will always be lower, a storefront shop will almost always have to charge more.
Oh I see...the guy who is coming in for the transfer is not considered "a customer" I guess. That is a self-fulfilling prophecy if I ever heard one. Start treating them like customers and they will become customers. Treat them like pests and they will go away for sure.

This is exactly what a lot of gun stores don't get. We are ALL POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS!!! Just be welcoming and make it worth our while to come back instead of treating us like criminals!

weezil_boi
03-12-2008, 9:41 PM

+100000000000000!

Here is some great advice... go to gun room. Look around, figure out what you want and then go across the street and buy it at Wild Bill's :)

PLINK
03-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Well I am sorry the local store did not give you a quote that you wanted to hear but in my experience I can not say Rancho Guns is the worst dealer ever. There are few shops in Sac I won't even step foot in or buy from due to their own policies.

I am a regular customer at RC Guns. Never really bought guns from them until recently, just bullets and reloading supplies. It maybe that I just was not really looking for anything at the time.

This guy just recently had a good experience with them. Fixed his rifle for free.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=90411

Edgar9mm
03-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the bad response you got. You have already admitted out of reaction you said he was "out of his mind", but I can agree with some of what you said for sure.
I know when I have called there in the past they have been kinda shorty and ****ty with you; like you wern't worth their time.
When I have gone in there shop they have been very helpful and very nice; never would have known you called the same shop.
I just recently bought a new gun from them. (my first)
I'm pretty sure I got a pretty crappy deal. I paid 377 OTD, $325 for the gun itself for a Ruger 9mm P95. USED btw.
I'm pretty sure you can by one brand new for this price. I pretty much just chalk it up to lesson well learned. It was my own ignorance for not researching the price, and going with an impulse buy. Even though I know I paid a lil more than I should have I was still very happy with their service.

sanddragon2004
03-29-2008, 5:24 PM
I too have noticed alot of gun dealers tend to be arrogant, and rude over the phone and even more so in person. I have found most of the shops around here very intimidating and dont buy alot from them as a result.

one thing id like to note, just because a dealer gets alot of dumb asses asking dumb questions does not warrant the right to treat all customers like stupid people and give attitude. Thats not how you earn business.

if i got a rude call like that i would never make my way into that store, in fact i purchased my most recent ar all online because of how i was treated in the shops.

Gun dealers on here note:
Customers keep you in business, no customers, no business! turn stupid ones into educated ones and you have a customer who will keep coming in.

If i had to say out of all the gun shops and folks in the firearm business lack 1 thing id have to say that is SERVCIE!!!!!!! customer SERVICE that is.

I was pretty dang ignorant before i built my AR. I waded through all the information and made my purchases based on service alone, price was secondary. It was the guys who provided me with the excellent service that will get my business again and again.

3GunFunShooter
03-29-2008, 6:13 PM
I have been buying my guns new and used at RC for over 7 years and have had very good experiences with them. They have always treated me fairly and with respect. They have ordered guns for me. I would rather deal with them than any other gun shop in the Sac area. Sorry you had a bad experience with them. In person they are great. They also support the Cowboy Action shooters. More than I can say for most shops in the Sac area supporting different shooting clubs.

John Browning
03-29-2008, 6:26 PM
You can have unbelievable prices and sub-par service, and stay in business.

You can have unbelieveable customer service and sub-par prices, and stay in business.

You can't have sub-par prices and sub-par service and stay in business for long.

If there were a gunshop within 50 miles of me with decent service and near on-line pricing, I'd shop there every time.

Pulsar
03-29-2008, 8:03 PM
Oh I see...the guy who is coming in for the transfer is not considered "a customer" I guess. That is a self-fulfilling prophecy if I ever heard one. Start treating them like customers and they will become customers. Treat them like pests and they will go away for sure.

This is exactly what a lot of gun stores don't get. We are ALL POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS!!! Just be welcoming and make it worth our while to come back instead of treating us like criminals!

I didn't say we wouldn't do it, just that we'd rather not, that's why the price is high, and we don't have an attitude about it. We've got a small shop, with a huge customer base, we are swamped just about all the time, the boss refuses to advertise because we can't handle many more customers, and we don't have the room to expand. We've only got 3 guys handling sales out front, and they are usually outnumbered by the customers. Even at $100 a transfer the store is still making more money selling the guns in the store. It comes down to simple economics, you put more time and effort into your higher profit area.

FatOnCoke
03-29-2008, 11:52 PM

Totally unnecessary!

Many FFLs do over charge for transfers! Go somewhere else.

Spyder
03-30-2008, 9:15 AM
Even at $100 a transfer the store is still making more money selling the guns in the store. It comes down to simple economics, you put more time and effort into your higher profit area.

Markup much?

:D

Pulsar
03-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Markup much?

:D

Nope, all consignment, we get 20%.

Spyder
03-30-2008, 2:14 PM
So if I buy a five hundred dollar used rifle from your store, that's on consignment, you get a hundred bucks.

But if I buy a five hundred dollar new rifle from an online auction, you get a hundred bucks.

How is that more money for the effort? You store it, you deal with not only the buyer and the dros paperwork but the seller and the consignment paperwork and storing it and displaying it for who knows how long until it sells plus the ten days after it sells.

Granted, I'm not in the weapons selling business nor do I work for a gunstore...but it sure makes more sense to me to make a hundred bucks for accepting a delivery and doing a little paperwork and collecting money on something that someone else spent the time, effort and funds to advertise than to have to do the same thing plus more for the same money.

Pulsar
03-30-2008, 9:27 PM
Like I said in my first post, I'm just one of the gunsmiths in the back, I don't do sales. But the boss has been running the store this way for over 30 years and is doing very well. We'll do the transfer, and you won't hear any complaints or bad attitudes, that's just what we charge. I don't set the prices, but I've talked to the boss about this subject and I understand why he charges so much, he's been bit a few times on out of state transfers and just prefers not to focus the business in that direction.

Oh, and we don't get 100 for the transfer, that's total cost, dros is included in that price.

Spyder
03-30-2008, 9:48 PM
Yea yea...not arguing with the practice because its not my business and I'm a big fan of people being able to run their business they way they want to. I just like to know the reasons behind things. :)

recshooter
04-26-2008, 4:33 PM
fredieusa--Sounds like you should take what you had in those grocery stores and start your own gun store....seriously.

btw, my wife feels the same way about the whole gun store issue (oh well, better she stay home in case of a large credit card swipe secondary to my chronic BRD:43:).

jamesob
04-26-2008, 9:47 PM
im a business man also, my thought is this. if he found a cheaper deal good for him. california prices are going to be higher just because of the b.s dealers have to go threw in cal. now if he purchased it already your not going to make the sell. so get something out him via the transfer. dros takes a good dealer 10- 15 min. tops. that works out to be at least 150.00 + an hr. depending what they charge. now he just made more in 15 min. than most people would make in 2 hrs. at their jobs. seems like a decent money maker to me. some people pump crap out of toilets for minimum wage so 50.00 for a transfer seems reasonable to me. and i have pumped crap out of sewers when i worked for the utilitys dept. so i know i would be happy doing transfers all day.

Stormfeather
04-27-2008, 2:28 AM
I've had a couple shops try to charge me $125 to process mail order stuff, even had one guy near here try to charge me that to transfer his own gun. There are dealers in Sacramento who deal strictly with mail order and internet orders. Bob Snellings of Snellings Firearms is pretty good. Check him out. Last I checked he only charged $50 for mail order stuff.

Am I reading this right? YOu boughtg some mail order items and sent them to a gun store instead of your house? Unless it was a firearm, why would you do that? ALso, according to what you wrote, You bought a gun from someone on this board and they tried to charge you $125.00 to transfer the gun at a FFL? Is this on top of the dealers fees? Please, pm me the name so I know not to do business with that particular member ever if this is true. That, or please go into a little bit more detail about what you mean. Im just going off of my personal interpretation of your statement.

Mickey D
04-28-2008, 6:14 AM

I believe the prices you list are for "in shop" FTF transfers. There is a little more involved when performing the shipping and receiving of a gun from another area or out of state.
Contra Costa Collectable Firearms charges $35 for FTF and $125 for shipped or receiving transfers.

VALGOLFS
05-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Out of state, internet, only $10 plus DROS at Walker Firearms in Lower Lake. Great guy to deal with!

Rob454
05-08-2008, 7:17 PM
Hi
If your post is word for word you were rude. I would hang up on you also. If you were a regular there i'm sure the guy would of bent the rules or given you a break but if you were a regular there you would be getting a good guy price anyway. Customer service is one thing but someone you have no idea who it is and just calls and speaks to me that way I would give him the same answer . I can't tell you the times i had people call me and ask how much to redo my garage or a wall or a kitchen. I tell them I have to see it. they say they just want a round figure. So I give them a figure. On the other end of the line Im sure their *** puckers up and eyeballs bulge from their heads. Then they tell me thats too much.
What someone charges is their business. if you dont like the price you can do what any shopper can. WALK OUT. I personally think 100$ is a lot but I dont know his overhead. I know my overhead. My labor base is on 88.50$ a hour.
out of that I have trucks fuel maintenance payroll lights rent health insurance business insurance office supplies, shop supplies tools and material equipment rental etc. if I gave everyone a discount or try to compete with every joe blow out there I would be out of business.
sure there are jobs I dont get but 25-40% of the time I get call backs to fix what others f****d up
Rob

BP88
05-08-2008, 7:21 PM
I would've said the same thing. They are out of their mind charging such a high price. Screw them in the ear and move on.

P.S. I just had lasagna, garlic bread, and pizza with some gatorade.

hill billy
06-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Get A Gun 661.978.6450 Bakersfield $5($5)I drive 100 miles one way (out of my way) to go to this guy for several reasons:
1: He knows the law and doesn't try to bluff when he doesn't
2: He's nice
3: Look at the price. I'm tired of paying a $100 storage fee for a gun store, there is zero excuse for this
4: The paperwork takes ten minutes. To the guy who spends hours have twelve people audit it, you need to hire competent employees that can handle it alone.

I vote with my feet, There are no less than six gun shops between my work and home, I will only shop at two of them. And that's only if I need something now or can't find it online.

big50_1
06-03-2008, 1:46 PM
Sellers, do what you can to impress your customers or they will go elsewhere! I bought a FNUSA Hi-Pwr from an Escondido, CA FFL for a little over $800 out the door which was no deal at the time. Got sh***y service. Will NEVER go back even if he was the last FFL on the planet! That's what bad service does.

duenor
06-03-2008, 4:12 PM
I hate to see other FFLs trashed.

But if they feel justified in being rude (in return or up front) that's fine. I have personally taken tons of abuse from irate customers (sometimes they aren't even customers, haven't ever even seen or touched one of our products, and STILL are rude!). Never did I ever get snappy, sarcastic, or even attempt to "win" the argument. First of all, my job is to convince them that being our patron is to his benefit, and I prefer to do my job; secondly, you can't "win" an argument with someone who has nothing to lose. So, how do you do both - convince him and also win the argument? Well, you give him something to lose. Takes a little bit of effort, careful thinking, and a lot of pre-knowledge, but it is worth it.

As for Bullseye saying how a DROS can easily take an hour... and all of you who can't believe it can possibly take that long.. well.. it's cause you guys didn't factor in BS time with the customer :D Which, by the way, is important too. And, really, isn't that why we are in this line of work? Because we enjoy the cameraderie of being part of a movement, a common interest, and a community of like minded aware individuals?

Finally, I submit that a customer might be wise to be equally aware of his part of the conversation, to his own benefit. Remember how I said that in order to win such "arguments", you have to give the other guy something to lose? Well, the OP gave the FFL little to lose - essentially, he said that wasn't going to buy a gun from him and wanted the service for $50. Now, granted, if I had been the FFL the conversation would have continued differently - but the OP might have benefited had he been more calculating as well.

First of all, I would not have let him know that I've already bought a gun. That is like telling a girl that just agreed to dance with you that you are trying to get her best friend's phone number. Not cool. Instead, start off with how delighted you are to find out that there is a gun store near you. Then, move the converasation to "There's someone in another state who would like to send a rifle to me. Would you happen to offer a transfer service?"

Then, if the answer is $137, you should realize a few things - obviously he wants to discourage transfers, and that his price doesn't even make sense (why 137? why not a flat 140? who wants to deal with wierd numbers like 137?). At this point, you begin politely negotiating. This is where you give the guy something to lose. Explain how you just got into this sport and will likely spend a lot. Tell him that you need a place to go for ammo regularly. Explain that you COULD buy from Walmart, but that you prefer to shop at a place that actually supports gun owners. You might even refer the guy to Calguns.

Essentially, you want to convince the FFL that he stands to lose a lot of money if he simply gives you a BS answer designed to discourage people from doing transfers.

It takes effort, and you have to be equally patient and inured to abuse, but once upon a time haggling was not considered demeaning and instead highly admirable when competently excercised.

s30
06-04-2008, 7:10 AM

If you had a gun store id give you all my money. this man, is business savvy. wish more gun shop owners ran there places of business like this. I dont buy online for the "deals" because after shipping it comes out to the same. I buy online so i dont have to deal with the *****s behind the counter.

bwiese
06-04-2008, 10:31 AM
There's a great book (around a decade ago), IIRC called "Fire Your Customers".

It's about how some fraction of your customers are whiners/never satisfied and burn up time & profit with their issues - and thus prevent servicing the good nontroublesome profitable customers well.

BTW, no rational dealer does a cheapie transfer when equivalent inventory is sitting on his shelf.

Also: for those *****ing about paperwork time taking too long (i.e, Soldier415 talking ~1hr vs someone saying 12 minutes). THERE IS A WAR ON FFLs GOING ON. TONS OF FFLs ARE LOSING THEIR LICENSES DUE TO TRIVIALITIES ON THE PAPERWORK. The FFLs that will survive are the ones that self-audit and take the appropriate time - whether or not the shop is full or no matter how "simple" the transaction is.

Jamez
06-04-2008, 4:26 PM
I always use the same local guy for FFL, does it out of his house and is a nice guy, $50 for a rifle. I've used him twice for a winchester 1200 I got at a gun show that he had a booth at and also for a Stevens model 60c. I love older woodstock 22's, cheap, easy, and fun and I only had to pay $110 total for the exact looking rifle I wanted.

However, buying modern weapons like my Glock 22 and soon to be my Rem 700, yes, shops. I go to River City, those guys are great.

what2be
06-04-2008, 5:43 PM

As others have already stated, some nice social engineering goes along way compared to personally attacking his business. As a business owner, Ive seen both sides of the fence. I used to own a nightclub, and I rented out the VIP booths at $300. Sometimes when it was slow a customer would come up and say "hey, nobody is in there tonight and its almost midnight, how about you sell it to me for $200.?" I would always decline, telling them that if I sold it for less to them, it would cheapen the experience for the people that paid full price. They could never undertand that. They would just always counter with, ..."well, $200 is better than nothing right?" And after saying no thank you, I would always think in my head..."yeah, dumbass, let me give you 2 bottles of alcohol, all your mixers free, a private waitress, private booth security, as well as the best seat in the house, for $100 less than what I have it priced at." There is a reason why its priced as I had it. Its what I could make off it and make it worth my while for the pain in the *** it was.

Now let me tell you about some FFL transfers last week..

Discount Firearms, Las Vegas, Nevada. For the record, Ive never purchased a gun from them before. I looked at one, but when I asked if I could dry fire it they had a fit and said no way. They said another potential customer could see that and would not buy the gun since they could believe dry firing hurts the gun." I was like...okay. Thats fine by me. Their store, their rules. Last year I bought a few guns from gunbroker and they did the FFL transfer. $100 for 2 guns, which i thought was fair.
Last week I bought a FNH FS2000, PS90 and a MSAR MST-556 from gunbroker and sent them to Discount firearms. I walked in and after waiting a few minutes at the counter (and listening to a interesting conversation from a customer telling one of the salespeople what a pile of crap one of the ak's they had there was) I was helped by a black guy that was pretty friendly. He went to the back, located my guns and came back to the counter. I shot the breeze with him and helped him unpack them from the UPS packaging and when we were done he sent me to the cash register to pay for the transfers. ON THE BOTTOM OF THE RECIEPT WAS THE WORD "NICE" underlined and the total for all 3 guns was $100. Basically he did 3 for the price of 2. Nice experience, and makes me want to buy a gun from them.

Same day, next store - Citadale Guns & Safe.

Back in January of this year, I bought a FN five-seven from them, as well as a Rock River arms LAR-15. Met both the owners, and had a good conversation with them. I called the owner previously in the week and had him see if he could find me a Socom .458. He told me they were on back order for 12 weeks. I then told him I had bought a Rec-7 from a guy online that was a barrett dealer and I had pre-paid for it over 3 months ago. I asked if he would do the transfer. He said sure, but they usually no longer do them. I thought that was nice of him, and didnt even bother asking how much.
When he asked how much I paid for the Rec-7, and when I told him, he about crapped his pants. He told me the guy made $25 off the sale. I said I know, the guy does volume and has had complaints from other dealers to Barrett that he sells too low. (The fact is though, the Barrett dealer in question is a hell of a nice guy. SO nice in fact, he sent me 2 cases of .416 ammo before he even got my check in the mail to pay for it.) I tried to explain to him that i didnt buy it because of the price, i bought it because he was guarenteed 10 of the first 200 rifles out of production. While I was in the store picking up the Rec-7, I figured id look at some .45's since I wanted one other than my Ed Brown, which is my range only gun. I saw one of the new HK45's there and checked it out and a few others. I asked how much, (and mind you, this was a employee, not the owner) and he said $980, but he could work that down some, I said, sure, sold. I then ended up buying some .223 ammo, some .50BMG ammo and some .45 ammo as well as a few pmags.
When I got to the register, he told me he took either 10% or 20% (depending on which ammo) on all the ammo, 15% on the pmags and came down on the .45 $40. Not sure what he charged me for the FFL, but im sure it was reasonable. Ill go back there in a second.

3rd Store 2 days later.
The Gun Store, Tropicana Blvd, Las Vegas, NV.

Bought a .458 socom off gunbroker, and paid waaaay too much, at the tune of $1500.00, for a gun that retails at $1,050.00. Then they bone me for 3% more since I used a credit card, then had a minimum $30 shipping fee. To make matters worse, they kept telling me they were going to ship it and they didnt, then they said the fax didnt work at the Gun Store for the FFL transfer. After 2 more days of dealing with that BS, (and a 3 way party call) they got it shipped. Of course, It gets there 2 days later than it should have. Not happy with Lock, Stock and Barrel out of Ohio. I could have bought 2 of those if I was willing to wait 12 weeks. Regardless, I call them up and the conversation goes like this :

ME: "hello, this is xxxxxxx, did you recieve a socom 458 today? I am having it shipped to you for a FFL transfer."

THEM: yeah, we got it, but you cant come get it for another 3-4 hours. We have to process it in. (this was at 1pm in the afternoon).

ME: wow, that seems like a long time, is there any chance to get it in 3 hours instead of 4?

THEM: I doubt it, but you can come start the paper work in 3 hours if you like.

ME: Thanks, see you then.

When I get there, I figure they *might* recognize me, since I bought a SIg Sauer P229 just a few months earlier. I walk up to the counter and wait, and wait, and wait. A few guys are leaving for the day, saying goodbyes, and walking right past me. (I guess a "have you been helped? someone will be right with you" was too much to ask). After a 6-7 minute wait, The guy walks up to me and it goes like this:

HIM: what can I do for you?

ME: Im looking for a few five seven magazines, do you have those in stock?

HIM: (very rudley) Got some ID?

ME: (handing him my nevada id) here you go.

HIM: (in a very nice tone) Thanks alot man, let me grab those for you.

ME: (thinking) WTF? Guess they get alot of tourists trying to buy hi cap mags here to take back home.

After getting the mags, I ask about my FFL transfer for my socom 458. He gets it, goes through the paperwork, charges me $55 (30 + 25 for brady check) and then proceeds to charge me TAX..ARGHH>>>> This .458 is turning into a friggin nightmare. Anyway, he was cordial, but even after him saying he never saw one of those before and I ask him if hed like to check it out he kinda shrugs his shoulders and says he has to get the serial # off it anyway.
Hes definitley not getting personality of the year award, but seeing how everyone there struts around with open carry and spare mag holders in a harness while dressed in all black, they gotta keep that bad *** factor up I guess.

Anyway, 3 different stores, 3 experiences. Honestly, every store has overhead, and nobody is FORCING you to do a FFL anywhere. If I was the guy answering the OP's call, when he said I was crazy and everyone else was doing them for $50, I wouldnt have hung up at all (very rude). I would have said, well, you better go there then, I can pay my bills as it is at what im charging now.....

Attitude works both ways, and it sounds like both of you got off on the wrong foot. Maybe GO in there instead of a phone call and see if its any different.

my 02 cents..

run8
06-04-2008, 5:57 PM
Yes indeed, some folks just have bad attitudes towards others and sometimes I just wonder why. Other times I try not to think too hard about it, as it's a waste of energy trying to figure out other folks.

I'm sorry but shops that have this attitude have zero business sense. Here's why.

Shop owners, if you're reading this, just remember. The goal of business is to make money. Arguing with, yelling at, and being rude to potential customers does not advance you toward that goal.

Soldier415
06-06-2008, 2:26 PM
Also: for those *****ing about paperwork time taking too long (i.e, Soldier415 talking ~1hr vs someone saying 12 minutes). .

Are you saying I am a loudmouth Bill? :p

run8
06-06-2008, 2:42 PM
Bill you spoke of FFL's loosing their license based on auditing issues, this I can see with someone who's careless. Though those DROS forms should be remodified to allow for some of the long city names we live in, it's a pain to try and cram information into a small space. Though I've done enough DROS forms that I have it down now, fellow at one shop says "I can see you've done this before" ;-)

Just something trivial I brought up, don't want to go too far off topic.

Frank

X-NewYawker
06-06-2008, 4:03 PM
I have found that some gunstores have reasonable transfer fees, so seem like t hey are trying to "punish" you for buying somewhere else -- but I find (as a lot of the posters have said) that the key is developing a RELATIONSHIP with the store.

If I sell cars and you walk onto my lot for the first time and ask me to do the paperwork on the car you bought on Ebay, I would freak/refuse/whatever. But if you go in in advance and discuss your transaction, it could go different. When I see a gun on gunbroker or in the Shotgun news that turns me on, the FIRST thing I do is call the local gunstore that I've been going to for 18 years -- I ask the MANAGER (not a salesman) if they can order the gun for me and get CLOSE to that price. Sometimes they can (in fact have beaten it) and sometimes when it is a discontinued rifle that a distributor has bought the last lot of, they agree that it would be best for me to order it from the other source and then, because they know I have and will do other business with them, they are reasonable with the fees.

I was surprised to find out the profit margin on a lot of our favorite guns (especially ones imported or made by small companies) is not as great as you'd think. The gun store pays way less for an over the counter M1-A than they pay for an M-14 from LRB -- Lou makes his guns in fewer numbers and more like a custom gun shop). In teh case of Greta's guns, I went in and bought two pistols I had marginal interest in, at full retail, to "start" a relationship with them, which they never wanted to let mature. They saw every question from me as an inconvenience, and pushed the guns they WANTED To sell. I have moved on to Fort Courage and am preparing to transfer an XCR and DS58 through them. I have not discussed the fees with Tim because I know he will be fair and charge me what he has to.

BTW, going back to the beginning of this thread, buying ultra cheap ($150) guns and having them transferred is like going to an ATM to get $20 bucks- the fee is too high compared to the value of the transaction.

Ronnie says use your IRS rebate to buy a Cal Legal Rifle:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/JAE-shotbooth.jpg

Jeff1
06-08-2008, 8:58 PM

I will not mention any names here but the gun shop where I go will not transfer if he sells the gun..

4wdlego
06-09-2008, 3:34 PM
In the last few months, I have bought my first two handguns from Rancho Cordova Guns. My first purchase was a used revolver and they seems to be very short with me. I figured they were having a bad day since when I picked it up, they were down-right friendly.

My second purchase was a new .45. They had to order it from their supplier and said it would be in the following monday. I got a call from them monday afternoon and went down to do the paperwork. I had some questions about my new gun and some questions about another purchase. The entire time, I was talked down to and treated as though I was a burden to them. I had spent over $1000 in the past 2 months and thought that they could spend 10 mins with me.

I will not be back there. I have found that the crew over at Rancho Cordova Shooting Center to be incredibly helpful, open to questions and even make well informed recommendations.

ViPER395
06-09-2008, 3:38 PM
In your last sentence you meant Sac Valley Shooting Center, right? ;)

In the last few months, I have bought my first two handguns from Rancho Cordova Guns. My first purchase was a used revolver and they seems to be very short with me. I figured they were having a bad day since when I picked it up, they were down-right friendly.

My second purchase was a new .45. They had to order it from their supplier and said it would be in the following monday. I got a call from them monday afternoon and went down to do the paperwork. I had some questions about my new gun and some questions about another purchase. The entire time, I was talked down to and treated as though I was a burden to them. I had spent over $1000 in the past 2 months and thought that they could spend 10 mins with me.

I will not be back there. I have found that the crew over at Rancho Cordova Shooting Center to be incredibly helpful, open to questions and even make well informed recommendations.

4wdlego
06-09-2008, 7:59 PM
Cordova Shooting Center (http://www.cordovashootingcenter.com/)

Sorry, it's in Rancho Cordova

heyjak
06-09-2008, 8:20 PM
Bob is the man! (former- retired DOJ) He Will treat you fairly!

ViPER395
06-09-2008, 9:02 PM
Yea. Stupid me forgot about the range on Douglas Rd.

(idiot)

Cordova Shooting Center (http://www.cordovashootingcenter.com/)

Sorry, it's in Rancho Cordova

JDay
11-07-2008, 6:02 AM

Rancho Cordova Guns is on Zinfandel by Sunrise, you're thinking of Cordova Shooting Center.

nobs11
11-07-2008, 7:36 AM

That list is way out of date. I know for a fact that at least 2-3 guys on there who are listed at $25 charge over $70 now.

As far as gun stores with poor customer service. Just take your business elsewhere. I drive 100 miles round trip on a Saturday to go to gun stores out of town if I need something. The ones in town are run by pissy old farts who seem to hate their jobs. They also spread OLL FUD any chance they get. I'm not saving any money by driving but I get the satisfaction that I'm not giving my money to an ahole. Every other customer I meet at the out of town stores is from my area. Eventually poor customer service will cost you your business. California is not easy on gun dealers and they need every dollar they can get. The new guys seem to get this. The old ones are set in their gruff ways. Speak with your wallet.

shirow
11-19-2008, 1:11 PM

I dropped by to take a look at Rancho Cordova Guns today. The older guy was stern but helpful. One guy was fairly gruff and seemed to wake up on wrong side of bed. Third guy was silent. I don't get a great fuzzy there.

Cordova Shooting Center is good, they are easier to talk to and are friendlier.

Customer service and friendliness do make a difference on where I buy.

Sacjesusfreak
11-28-2008, 5:56 PM
I live down the street from them, and I really dont like going there, ive gone there maybe 10 times,, every single time, was a bad experience. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE..and last time i went there with a rare 1800's gun,, great shape for its age,, not a cheapy, and the guy started tire kickin my gun. the stock has very minor stress fractures, And he said the gun is broken ,and he would have to get a new stock made.. yeah right...ok done venting..

BB63Squid
11-28-2008, 7:54 PM
My observations after reading this thread...

Osmily..."condescending" is on high output. Might want to consider lowering the output.

Duenor...Impressive post. You obviously put more effort into your interactions with customers than most. I hope you succeed in business if you haven't already.

In general... If a FFL attempts to rape me on a transfer I will assume they will do the same on other items and I will simply not do business with them, ever.

I don't get why so many feel that we as consumers should feel indebted to dealers merely because they do business inside California and that reason alone.

Provide me with honest, knowledgeable and friendly service at a reasonable cost and I will be a loyal customer. I have a tendency though to throw feeler purchases/transactions at any business I intend to possibly throw 2k or more at. If that is not possible then I will ask others how they have been treated by the same business. If I get a bad vibe or a holier than thou attitude then I will take my cash elsewhere.

Last but certainly not least, bad news travels twice as fast as good. Having ran my own business in the past I discovered word of mouth got me more new customers than any amount of advertising and cold calling I ever did.

junker87
11-29-2008, 12:27 AM
I bought an M1A Scout last year from a dealer near where I live in West LA, and was totally unimpressed by the service, if you can even call it that.

I bought a Sig 556 Holo a few weeks ago from a dealer 70 miles away from where I live, and the service was just okay. And yes, myself and a lot of friends would not think twice about buying an LWRC, POF, and a Sig all in one transaction, if the service was worth writting home about. In fact, we have a group buy going on on a non gun related board on LWRC right now.

So far, the retail experiences have not been all that great for me, and some of the responses from the retailers in this thread are not helping.

I myself am in the service industry, granted it's high paying white collar service industry. But suffice to say that we have clients who are verbally abusive and sometimes hostile to work with in person. What do we do? We smile and thrive to do the best job we can for all clients, yes, even ones who are verbally abusive and super hostile to work with.

BECAUSE THEY PAY OUR MORTAGES, CAR PAYMENTS, UTILITY BILLS, KID'S COLLEGE FUNDS.

And that's why customers are always right. Without them we would not be in business.

So I have very low tolerance when I encounter subpar services in retail, and will never patronize the place again. I most likely will buy online from now on, because frankly, the retail experiences so far have been not all that impressive. And these are for big ticket rifles.

What's so great about being nice to customers who are nice to you? Anyone can do that.

gunrun45
11-29-2008, 12:31 AM
$137 for a TRANSFER!
I thought my local ealer was stiff when he charges me $60!
You guys got the screw put to ya.

Wild Squid
11-29-2008, 2:06 AM
I guess they don't want to assume all of the risk with doing the transfer without at least making a few bucks.

That is not a few bucks, that is $137 bucks.

Wild Squid
11-29-2008, 2:10 AM

ETA: I just looked up your gun and it looks like it can be had for approximately $150.00-170.00 online. Your local store probably carries it for 200.00-225.00. The shipping on your rifle will be about 20.00 and an FFL will charge AT MINIMUM 50.00 to do the transfer. So, you are up to 220.00-240.00 for buying online, plus the hassle of sending the FFL copy out and worrying about the gun being lost in shipping AND, on NEW guns, technically, you are supposed to pay sales tax on it, bringing the gun to 235.00-255.00 or so.
If you bought locally, you would pay about 200.00-225.00 base price for the gun, plus 25.00 DROS, plus 16.00 tax and you can actually see the gun you are buying before purchasing. So, out the door at the local store you would be at 236-260.00 or so. So, you could pay the same price to about 25.00 more locally. You would be supporting your local FFL and avoiding the hassle of dealing with online payments, sending checks, worrying about the tracking number, etc.

Now, if this were a 1000.00 dollar gun, you could probably save a couple hundred bucks by going through an online wholesaler making the online purchase worth it IMO.

You know what? That is the exactly the kind of thinking we as customers do not need to fall into. If other people can sell someone a gun at a price, then why can't our CA FFL's get it for the same price as others and sell to us with the same price, then there'd be no point in doing transfers. Blah Blah I've heard lots of excuses and about not being able to buy for the same prices, but we don't really know that.

Steve O
11-29-2008, 2:52 AM

- If the purchaser is buying the gun from someone else, he's already decided not to buy it from you. You are NOT going to get this sale. Get over it. And guess what. Being rude does NOT increase your chances of making a sale. Surprise, surprise.

- Even though you didn't make this sale, you now have the opportunity to convert a transfer customer to a retail customer. Future revenue for you. Surprise the customer and give him a free package of targets, or something else cheap that costs you little but shows the customer you're a good guy to work with. Guess what...next time he needs something he comes to your store and you make some money. He tells his buddies and they come in and buy something.

^^^

vmwerks
07-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I use RC Guns for regular purchases and found them to be very easy to deal with. I was quoted $35 to do a transfer, they just don't do them everyday.

eroberts88
07-03-2009, 3:09 PM

jeez I didnt know there was an FFL dealer right here in Moreno Valley.. Ill have to check them out. Anyone have any experience with them? (sorry for the thread hijack)