PDA

View Full Version : I want to create a new taclight, need partners

Adog5
03-12-2008, 6:47 AM
I was looking to buy another glock taclight, but what I really want is one in LED (using the CREE 3-Watt) combined with a green laser. As small as possible (using 1 CR123 battery). There is no LED/Laser combination on the market I could find, so I'm on a quest to manufacturer one. I have $5K to put into this project and I'm looking to raise a total of $25K. If you're interested, please PM me for details.

JPB
03-12-2008, 7:01 AM
Surefire has been "on the verge" of releasing one for three or so years now. They are piggy backing the laser onto their X200/300 LED line. They also suggested that they may build an X200/300 that is activated by CT lasergrips. The light turns on when the laser passes by it. Not much has materialized in last couple of years though. I'm baffled by SFs willlingness to let its sole competition dominate this market.

Upon further inspection (from ebay):

"Streamlight TLR-2 Rail Mounted Tactical Light w/ Laser
3 Watt Luxeon LED impervious to shock. Will not break or burn out! Extremely durable anodized aluminum housing. Delivers up to 80 lumens (LED); 650-660 nm laser. Up to 2.5 hrs continuous run time (Laser/LED simultaneously). Solid-state current regulation for consistent illumination level. Laser only mode run 45+ hrs. Features secure latching base for secure mounting. Tighten latch with your fingers of a coin. No tools necessary! Operating temperature -40F to 120F. Fits all light-bearing holsters. 4.72 oz with batteries."

There it is. Don't Know 'bout the green laser part though. You may have to settle for red.

saki302
03-12-2008, 3:00 PM
If they made a straight swap LED bulb assembly for the M6X light, you'd have exactly what you are looking for.

-Dave

fireluvrandrew@gmail.com
03-12-2008, 3:16 PM
yay, something i actually understandd, may i guide you to candlepowerforums.com i am a frequent there, anyone there can answer any questions

aplinker
03-12-2008, 3:39 PM
Not to piss on your parade, but the cost of a green laser and their durability will really kill your market. Not to mention it's an incremental change to a product in a highly saturated market. Standing out will be very difficult. Lastly, any other big name manufacturer with clout, should you become popular, can price you out of the market.

Lastly, there are numerous new products coming, across the board, in the next couple months.

mymonkeyman
03-12-2008, 3:41 PM
There is a LED laser combo: The Streamlight TLR-2. It's not a green laser, but it also doesn't cost you thousands in development. It'll mount to just about anything.

Adog5
03-12-2008, 7:31 PM
Well, I also want to create this light/LED combination for under $100 USD. I can't believe a flashlight costs that much. I can get a 5-Watt CREE LED for under $6. and the green laser I can get really small under $20. The cost of the controller chip is under $10, plus the plastic ploymer casing $4. I'm talking $40 for completion of the unit (excellent quality, waterproof, shock proof,..etc.) The major cost will just be the molding of the case (around $10K), the rest of the money is used to market at tradeshows, send free samples to police departments...etc. The entire retail of this light will be under $100 USD and will be reasonalbe (versus $250+ for laser/LED solutions right now).

ohsmily
03-12-2008, 9:09 PM
Well, I also want to create this light/LED combination for under $100 USD. I can't believe a flashlight costs that much. I can get a 5-Watt CREE LED for under $6. and the green laser I can get really small under $20. The cost of the controller chip is under $10, plus the plastic ploymer casing $4. I'm talking $40 for completion of the unit (excellent quality, waterproof, shock proof,..etc.) The major cost will just be the molding of the case (around $10K), the rest of the money is used to market at tradeshows, send free samples to police departments...etc. The entire retail of this light will be under $100 USD and will be reasonalbe (versus $250+ for laser/LED solutions right now).

Do you have a manufacturing/design background? Business venture background? For someone to want to invest with you, don't you think you should put out your own version of a prospectus or something to pitch your idea besides a basic idea? If you are really serious about this, I hope posting a thread on CalGuns isn't your only plan.

I suspect that if you actually get serious with some R&D and cost projections, you would find that you won't be able to deliver at the price point you are hoping for. If it were that easy, a manufacturer would be undercutting Surefire and/or streamlight and putting another product out there.

Having said that, there are reverse engineered Chinese versions of most of their products for very cheap.

RECCE556
03-12-2008, 9:18 PM
Surefire has the X400...it's a X300 with a laser. Save your 5K and just buy that. It's 2x CR123's and a red laser but the 2x CR123's will give you better run times.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/policestuff_1989_232771539

On another note, have you every manufactured such a product? I think you'd be hard pressed to get these units built for as cheap as you think. What about the reflector and the design of the reflector? What about the quality of battery contacts/electronics? What about QC? What about testing costs? What about all this with the laser unit? How are you going to work the windage/elevation? What about the switches?

You're better off taking your 5K to start a "business", get a wholesale account with Surefire, buy what you want and eBay the rest. ;)

blackbox
03-12-2008, 9:24 PM
Also keep in mind that green lasers produce more heat than red. A weapon-mounted laser should have a 100% duty cycle (IMHO).

Even if you get a diode that can handle that, your whole system needs to be properly engineered. I have a green laser that is rated for continuous use, but its got heat-dissipating fins milled into the aluminum housing. No way you're making the mount out of polymer....