PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Spring Break Noob Project

Buyos1717
03-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Hey guys/gals,

I've been lurking on the forums for a while to try get as much information on an AR-15 build. I've been trying to get information from other websites too but i figure this would be the best because of all of California's stringent laws and what not.

Anyways, i hope you guys can help me because i've just been overwhelmed with opinions and choices. I'm trying to start a build this spring break (i doubt i will get the parts that soon though) and i need help with finding specifics. I plan on building the rifle myself because i want to get to know the rifle and because i hear it helps with customization. So... here goes...

My Goal: An overall nice AR-15. I want to focus on accuracy but would prefer the barrel to be about 16". A pretty standard build will be fine, with the hopes to customize it later (at least a nice scope or sight). I want to get more high end products so i dont have to ever regret my choice of quality. Reliability is definitely necessary. All this for around $1200.

I have been looking at CMMG and RRA but would love a detailed build (i.e. which upper, lower, etc). Anyways, any help will be greatly appreciated. I would love to piece this rifle together with nice parts. I will post the build too if possible! I realize that the "best" parts are pretty much opinions, but just like choosing a car, some firsthand builds and parts that are recommended are appreciated. Thanks!

Fobjoe
03-11-2008, 11:41 PM
...man, I thought the spring from your recoil buffer broke. ha. Anyway, there's so much variety to pick with ARs, man...one note to think about, chrome lined barrels are supposedly less accurate than match grade...

aplinker
03-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Immediately DROS the lower... now... today... the rest will come along during your 10day wait.

You'll need:
1.) Lower
2.) Lower parts kit
3.) Complete upper
4.) Sights/optics
5.) Buttstock kit (stock, tube, spring, buffer)
6.) Compliance parts (bullet button or MMG)
7.) Magazine
8.) LOTS of ammo.

Here are my suggestions - I'd push you toward a Recce build:
1.) Build a 16" (or maybe slightly longer), with a medium or lightweight barrel contour. It will let you get good accuracy and be able to carry it.
2.) Get a mid-length gas system (unless you exceed 18")
3.) Get a 2-stage Rock River Arms trigger with your LPK. It's well worth the extra $80
4.) Get a Daniel Defense, SWS, or LaRue railed handguard - if you can afford it - and put it over a mid-length low profile gas block - looks cleaner and will allow you to mount a flip front sight on the rail with a longer sight radius
5.) I'd go with the following upper/barrel manuf's (best down - all are very good): Colt, LMT/Noveske (tie), CMMG, RRA. The CMMG is probably the best value with the most options
6.) Pick your brake or flash hider. This is a pretty personal choice. The best FH: Smith Vortex. The FSC556 is pretty hot right now. Brakes have many options. Keep in mind neither really do much - the .223 is limited in recoil and how often do you shoot at night?
7.) If you have money to spend, get an LMT SOPMOD buttstock kit. Magpul UBR, VLTOR EMOD and Magpul CTR are the next choices, in that order. Price pretty much follows the quality there.
8.) If you have money, pick an aftermarket grip. The MIAD is the hot one now. TangoDown, Ergo, Hogue etc all make their own, too.
9.) The best flip sights, hands down, are Troy.
10.) Get one 10/30rd mag for pics (Magpul PMAG looks nice and functions well) and a few more 10rd C-Products + Magpul ranger plates for shooting

Other needs: Case (soft is best), sling (I prefer 2-point, 3-pt is acceptable, 1 point is stupid), optics (EOTech for 0-150yds and SPEED, ACOG for 50-400yds), ammo (anything cheap and brass cased, preferable, but Wolf runs fine - if your range allows magnetic ammo). Lastly, the Magpul winter trigger guard really finishes the look of a rifle.

townbound
03-12-2008, 1:09 AM
Seems like a good project, I hope to be working on one myself soon. Good Luck.

rod
03-12-2008, 4:54 AM
EDIT: It's early and it didn't take much to screw up this post. Check out my post below to see what I really wanted to say.

rod
03-12-2008, 4:57 AM
Uclaplinker summed everything up nicely. What more can one say other than take a look at the picture thread and get an idea of what you want to build. You might find some options you haven't thought of yet.

savageevo
03-12-2008, 6:32 AM
also look at the pictures in this link. a lot of them put discriptions of what parts in there build. have fun at it and good luck.

www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26726

GenLee
03-12-2008, 6:44 AM
Immediately DROS the lower... now... today... the rest will come along during your 10day wait.

You'll need:
1.) Lower
2.) Lower parts kit
3.) Complete upper
4.) Sights/optics
5.) Buttstock kit (stock, tube, spring, buffer)
6.) Compliance parts (bullet button or MMG)
7.) Magazine
8.) LOTS of ammo.

Here are my suggestions - I'd push you toward a Recce build:
1.) Build a 16" (or maybe slightly longer), with a medium or lightweight barrel contour. It will let you get good accuracy and be able to carry it.
2.) Get a mid-length gas system (unless you exceed 18")
3.) Get a 2-stage Rock River Arms trigger with your LPK. It's well worth the extra $80
4.) Get a Daniel Defense, SWS, or LaRue railed handguard - if you can afford it - and put it over a mid-length low profile gas block - looks cleaner and will allow you to mount a flip front sight on the rail with a longer sight radius
5.) I'd go with the following upper/barrel manuf's (best down - all are very good): Colt, LMT/Noveske (tie), CMMG, RRA. The CMMG is probably the best value with the most options
6.) Pick your brake or flash hider. This is a pretty personal choice. The best FH: Smith Vortex. The FSC556 is pretty hot right now. Brakes have many options. Keep in mind neither really do much - the .223 is limited in recoil and how often do you shoot at night?
7.) If you have money to spend, get an LMT SOPMOD buttstock kit. Magpul UBR, VLTOR EMOD and Magpul CTR are the next choices, in that order. Price pretty much follows the quality there.
8.) If you have money, pick an aftermarket grip. The MIAD is the hot one now. TangoDown, Ergo, Hogue etc all make their own, too.
9.) The best flip sights, hands down, are Troy.
10.) Get one 10/30rd mag for pics (Magpul PMAG looks nice and functions well) and a few more 10rd C-Products + Magpul ranger plates for shooting

Other needs: Case (soft is best), sling (I prefer 2-point, 3-pt is acceptable, 1 point is stupid), optics (EOTech for 0-150yds and SPEED, ACOG for 50-400yds), ammo (anything cheap and brass cased, preferable, but Wolf runs fine - if your range allows magnetic ammo). Lastly, the Magpul winter trigger guard really finishes the look of a rifle.

There you have it. Now get building.

Rich776
03-12-2008, 1:50 PM
Where is the place place in so cali to get the lower from? I'm still new to this

hawk1
03-12-2008, 2:24 PM
Shamefull plug, you can get the lower setup right here off CalGuns. Here is a link to my for sale thread for a new, put it together yourself for sale ad.

http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=91083

I will also supply the buyer anything I have to help you get started.

aplinker
03-12-2008, 2:30 PM
AR Lower dealers in SoCal (it's a big place might help if you say a city)

Bright Spot Pawn
J&J Armory
Fort Courage Armory
Ade's in Orange
Gunrunners in Duarte
Metroshot in San Fernando

Patriot
03-12-2008, 2:38 PM
Sounds like my kind of spring break :D

smith
03-12-2008, 6:20 PM
Thank you uclaplinker now how about one in 6.8 or 6.5

Buyos1717
03-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Im in Orange County and i think im just going to get a Stag lower, or whatever i find pretty much. Correct me if im wrong, but i read pretty much all lowers will be the same.

I was looking into getting the low profile 16" CMMG MedCon and on their website they have tons of options to go with it. I'm trying to piece my first AR for less then $1k so which options are necessary? And how important is the handgaurd? because getting it straight from them is $20 for a single heatshield but buying it with the Daniel Defense and stuff are $150+.

I figure i will get the Prince 50 Bullet Button, any suggestions on type I or type II?
http://www.riflegear.com/p-58-prince50-bullet-button.aspx

And is this the RRA 2 stage trigger you are talking about?
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=395
Thats quite a price difference from the single stage :p

I am just trying to verify so i dont make any mistakes by paying too much or buying the wrong thing. Thanks for the help so far!

aplinker
03-13-2008, 2:59 PM
If you're buying a CMMG upper you should try to get a CMMG lower - makes for a nice package.

J&J, Ade's are in your area.

I would buy the 2-stage trigger before the handguard, but the handguard is sexier in looks. The trigger makes a huge difference in performance. ARs can shoot <1" groups at 100yds, but that will be difficult with a horrible trigger.

If you have $1k total, buy a 16" flat-top, mid-length gas, A2 hider, with standard FSB, rear flip. MAtechs are excellent, low cost flips. Use a CTR Magpul stock with USGI tube. With the upper + stock + LPK + lower + etc that will come in just under 1K

I would add the bolt reliability choices and extended feed ramps on the CMMG.

Im in Orange County and i think im just going to get a Stag lower, or whatever i find pretty much. Correct me if im wrong, but i read pretty much all lowers will be the same.

I was looking into getting the low profile 16" CMMG MedCon and on their website they have tons of options to go with it. I'm trying to piece my first AR for less then $1k so which options are necessary? And how important is the handgaurd? because getting it straight from them is $20 for a single heatshield but buying it with the Daniel Defense and stuff are $150+.

I figure i will get the Prince 50 Bullet Button, any suggestions on type I or type II?
http://www.riflegear.com/p-58-prince50-bullet-button.aspx

And is this the RRA 2 stage trigger you are talking about?
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=395
Thats quite a price difference from the single stage :p

I am just trying to verify so i dont make any mistakes by paying too much or buying the wrong thing. Thanks for the help so far!

aplinker
03-13-2008, 3:00 PM
Thank you uclaplinker now how about one in 6.8 or 6.5

Do you have the money to put into expensive (more than double) ammo or do you reload? If not, stick with .223. If yes, I'll post something up.

smith
03-13-2008, 6:15 PM
yes to both and thanks in advance