PDA

View Full Version : Savage stocks suck... or do they?

hoax
03-11-2008, 9:26 PM
I'm a new owner of a Savage 10fp with the original tupperware. I've been told that these stocks aren't exactly the best, "garbage" being a term I've heard thrown around. The problem as I'm aware is that the front end isn't strong enough to fully support the weight of the heavy floating barrel and it presses against the stock. Now what I've done is set up the rifle on a bipod and while holding it level I can feel with a piece of paper that there appears to be plenty of clearance between the stock and the barrel. When I watch a friend fire the rifle I can see what appears to be the barrel freely vibrating after a shot.

I can't say of course that all Savage stocks work well, but with what I described do you think my stock is ok? Instead of dropping a few bills down the road on a B&C I'm thinking of just painting mine olive green and calling it a day. What do you guys think?

Note: People also say that Savage's shoot well right out of the box. Here is what mine did. A friend and I put 10 rounds through on the 50 yard range to sight it in. At the next cease fire I moved the target up to the 100 yard range. This is my very first grouping on the 100 yard range on a very windy day using Wolf ammo. The first shot was a bit off, I readjusted the sight and you can see what followed. And keep in mind I'm a n00b shooter. Another friend who is a rated marksman in the AF (whatever that means) shot much tighter groups with Winchester ammo. I unfortunately don't have any pictures of that.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/justynblack/CalGuns/savage.jpg

eviioiive
03-11-2008, 9:40 PM
ditch the wolf..

usmcchet9296
03-11-2008, 9:42 PM
Looks pretty good to me
looks like the botton shot was just bad breathing
I intend to get a Savage eventially or a Remmington 700 PSS when I can find one at a reasonable price
some people spend thousands on a rifle they can only shoot hundreds with
if you take my meaning

cseabass
03-11-2008, 9:49 PM
i will still stick with savage stocks suck:p the 10fp is probably one of the best bang for the buck rifles out there... no pun intended.

even with the crap stock, they do shoot well.

Prc329
03-11-2008, 10:22 PM
If the paper doesn't touch all the way to the barrel nut under load then you are o.k. Basically loading up the bipod so it is stable, not just holding it level but so your shot will be steady.

dfletcher
03-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I have a Savage 12 BVSS is 300 WSM. The stock is excellent. Nice palm swell grip, wide flat forend & looks nice also.

Prc329
03-11-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a Savage 12 BVSS is 300 WSM. The stock is excellent. Nice palm swell grip, wide flat forend & looks nice also.

That doesn't count. Your rifle didn't come with the Tupperware.

http://www.savagearms.com/10fp.htm

That rifle wears the Tupperware stock.

Army
03-12-2008, 1:32 AM
We have GOT to get Lisa and Fred to be a Cal Guns sponsor...

www.sharpshootersupply.com (http://www.sharpshootersupply.com)

That's the toy store for Savage fans.

fairfaxjim
03-12-2008, 6:32 AM
I have to admit, that mine shot very well with the tupperware stock. I did have to file it out to relieve it in a couple of places so that it didn't touch the barrel when it flexed. It just feels so damn flexy out there, I couln't take it.

rksimple
03-12-2008, 7:06 AM
Beyond how much the factory stock flexes under pressure, its design (for me) doesn't make for an "easy to shoot accurately" platform. When I switched to the B&C medalist, I was amazed at how much easier it was to shoot well. Just the ergonomics made a big difference. This is even more evident in positional shooting.