View Full Version : So. Cal. 2 day steel match

10-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Shooting Sports Alliance is putting together a big 2 day steel match. Our steel match is run and gun USPSA/IPSC style with all steel targetry. Saturday Nov 19th we are having a 3 stage night match where you use weapon lights, and flashlights. If you don't have a pistol with light rail, weapon light, or flashlight we can loan you one. Pistols will be springfield xd-9's with m3 weaponlight. You must be at the range by 6pm for orientation.

The next Day Nov 20th we have a 7 stage monster steel match. Prizes and trophies for class winners. Multiple classes and divisions for all guns, and competitior skill levels.

Match fee will be $65 for both matches, or $30 for night match only, $50 for day match only. If you pay before November 7th you get a special early registration price of $55 for both matches.

You can shoot just one of the two matches or better yet both of them.

More info and Stage description on the SSA site. http://www.ssashooter.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=2;t=18;st=0;&#entry10

10-17-2005, 12:48 PM
you guys need to come out for this!!!!

10-17-2005, 2:37 PM
How safe is this? What kind of safety procedures/mechanisms are in place?

10-17-2005, 4:42 PM
The SSA has been running action pistol matches for 18 years. There are numerous safety rules and since the inception of action pistols competition there has only been one fatality. This fatality (which didn't happen at our club by the way) was a freak accident where a round richet off several objects and struck a bystander quite a distance away. There is a range officer that follows the competitor during the course of fire and makes sure he/she is safe.

The courses of fire are designed in such a manner as to limit the possibility of accidents. We have done several night matches in the past and have taken care to design the stages approperately.

10-18-2005, 12:42 AM
Yar, Are there any ammo specifications for those steel matches?

10-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Wow, those stages look awesome so far. Too far for me to go to the night shoot, but I'll be there Sunday. Looks like I'm gonna need to load up a whole lot of ammo... that's a good thing. :)

I don't believe there has ever been any ammo specifications for these steel matches. Basically as long as the bullet makes it out of the gun and causes the plate or popper to fall you're good.

10-18-2005, 12:19 PM
No there are no ammo specifications but there are some recommendations.

Pistol calibers of 9mm or greater take the steel just fine, but iy your handloading in the powder puff area you may have trouble with the heavy poppers unless you hit them high.

For our regular matches not our big match some people shoot shotgun. If this is the case birdshot through a modified or tighter choke is recommended. Shots past 35 yards will require heavier shot and choke. No slugs allowed as it's hard on our steel.

While some of our steel is armor we don't allow people to shoot them with rifle caliber ammo, steel core, or anything that will damage our equipment.

Jacket ammo is fine but lead or molly is most ideal as it doesn't splatter.

10-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Are there any pre-requisites for competition? I have never done any kind of match shooting, and it would suck to pay the fee and drive down there only to findout that I need to be a member of something.:( Where is this event being held?:D

10-19-2005, 6:55 AM
You need to own a pistol of 9mm caliber or greater. You need to have a basic idea of how your sights to work. You need to be safe. Really that's it, no memberships to join.

It also helps if you own a stiff belt, holster, mag carriers, and 5-6 10 round magazines, or 2 high caps, 2 10 round magazines. Depending on what pistol you shoot we may be able to lend you some equipment.

The 2 day match is a little more advanced than our regular matches. Thus if it's your first competition it may be more difficult. I would recommend you come out to our match the 1st sunday if your wanting to check it out. We can work out all the safety procedures, equipment needs, etc before the big match. The match the 1st sunday is also only $28 so you can get your feet wet before our big match.

First timers are always welcome. We do a real good job getting you started right. You'll find everyone is real friendly and we don't bite.

10-19-2005, 6:57 AM

Oh yeah we are in Norco CA. About 1/2 from most parts of LA and OC. Map is not to scale.

10-21-2005, 9:56 AM
SSA Day and Night Madness Steel Match (http://madtrigger.com/images/stagesnovember/daynightmadness001.htm)

I mocked up a page promoting our upcoming match.

Mr Twisted
10-29-2005, 9:21 PM
This is definately a not to be missed cool match When was the last time you shot in the dark.?. Oh boy Sign me up.:) :)

Mr Twisted
11-16-2005, 7:52 PM
Match sign ups going good and the prize table is great. Match this weekend Sat. Nite match and the Day match on Sunday the 20th. If you can make the shoot come out to spectate... www.ssashooter.com:)

11-17-2005, 7:13 AM
I love steels. We tried to do it up in No-cal but only few showed up and canceled permanently so to speak. I wish I checked it up earlier... then could've gone. Enjoy!!!

11-18-2005, 9:09 AM
That's too bad. There is a lot of steel in So. Cal. Our club runs a steel match every 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th sunday and Palm Spring and the Rockpile run a steel match 2nd sunday (you can double dip that sunday). So we can get 5 steel matches a month. Things are just better here.

11-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Yep I love shooting steel matches. I wish I could have made this one. Too bad there aren't more steel matches in central or northern cal areas.

11-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks to everyone that made it out to our big match. If you missed it you really missed out.

We started setting up 9:00 AM for the match. People started arriving for the night match at 6:00 PM, and after a bunch of pizza, socializing and a quick orientation the shooting was on.
Stage one “car jacked” had you changing a tire on a gold cart. On the start signal you had to get up grab your pistol and hand held flash light off the front seat and engage a bunch of steel. Those who did not get much practice shooting with a hand held flashlight got exposed on this stage. The muzzle flash of the gun blinds you for a split second and you don’t see your sights lift. No way to “call your shots”. The stage ended with a short dash where you hammered a plate rack.
Stage 2 “Lights out” had you moving from drum barricade to drum barricade to shield yourself from a light obstacle. A pair of halogen spot light simulated car headlights pointed at you. If you looked into the headlights there goes all your night vision. Using the drums as a barrier from the light you could use whatever light source you had to engage the steel. Many choose weapon light, and the M6’s with the laser had a clear advantage. All the steel was painted blue so they were invisible unless you used your light on them.
Stage 3 “Things that go bump in the night” had you getting out of bed and wacking steel out of the windows and doorway. Then you had to save an infant by moving it out of harms way and behind cover. Again all the steel was blue and invisible unless you had your light on them. This was the weapon light stage which helped because the high round count had you changing magazines quite often.
Well nobody can get too much shooting so Ski bum built a 4th bonus stage called “Dark Alley”. This was a flashlight only stage that had you moving from box to box lined with glow stick and shooting poppers framed by “no shoot” steel. Good mix of move fast, and then call a precision shot.
There were a lot of people at the night match. I was RO’ing the lights out stage and they just seemed to keep coming. I did not get to shoot the match myself till well after midnight.
After the match the most hardcore shooters stayed for some tailgating. Then a short nap and on to the big day match.
The day match had 7 stages. The first being a big field course called “Mad Max” You made your way around a maze shooting steel until you ended up at the golf cart. Then you had to jump in and out of the cart to engage 2 different arrays. This stage was part hoser, part foot race.
Stage 2 was Dark Alley again but since you can see now, became the foot race stage. The low round count meant that quick feet won the stage, though if you hit a no shoot it was 10 seconds a plate.
Stage 3 was the evil golden eye stage. You started out on a platform suspended by chains. Then you had to wack plates from 3 different arrays. Sounds easy? Well we put a bunch of no shoots in front of the plates and you were swaying on a moving platform. No shoots were 10 seconds a hit so lots of people got owned on this one.
Stage 4 was “four of a kind”. Kind of like smoke and hope but with a big barricade. Fast transitions from port to port was the key to this stage.
Stage 5 was the highlight of the match. Mr. Twisted Camera Store where you started taking pictures with a big SLR camera around your neck, then you had to grab a duffle bag filled with steel, and then push a button to start the pneumatics. Now you pretty much ran around wacking plates. It was sheer overload as there were targets turning, steel dropping, windows opening and closing. Too much stuff going on to game the stage. You were constantly running to a window just to have it close on you. Waiting for it to open and then wacking as much steel as you could before it closed. All the while other targets danced around taunting you.
Stage 6 was a revamped going postal with a balance beam, cooper tunnel and split popper no shoots. Fancy foot work plus hosing.
Stage 7 was double trouble where you had two runs with best one for score. You started by coming fast out of the holster on a static plate, taking 4 poppers on a dead run, then hosing a plate rack. Since you had 2 runs you could just let it hang all out because you had a throw away.
After the match came the suck. Breaking down all those elaborate stages in the dark with flashlights. Don’t think we got out of there till 11:00 PM. Still it was a great match and I’m still recovering.