PDA

View Full Version : AR bolt catch problem

nic
03-11-2008, 8:01 PM
Hi guys...
I recently purchased a complete lower and I brought it home tonight. While I was checking it out I noticed that there is no tension on the bolt catch, so I figured something was wrong with the spring. So, I took the bolt catch off and I can't get either the spring or the pin out, and when I reassembled the thing for some reason the bolt catch still wiggles around a lot. It still catches the bolt just fine, but I don't think that wiggle room is a good thing.
Any suggestions?
-Nic

Satex
03-11-2008, 8:14 PM
Does it have any spring tension to it? It sounds like someone forgot to install the spring. Did you take it back to where you bought it from? Maybe they missed that when they put the LPK.

nic
03-11-2008, 8:17 PM
When I took off the catch, I pushed the pin a little bit and there seemed to be some tension there... I bought it from another forum member so I don't know who assembled it.

shark92651
03-11-2008, 8:32 PM
Grab the bolt catch buffer with some needle nose pliers or dig it out with a paperclip or something and pull it out of there - grab the spring the same way if it doesn't come out with it. The bolt catch buffer should be just over 3/8" and the spring should be 3/8". If either is broken or out of spec you can order replacements from my website.

nic
03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Shark-
It's really stuck in there... been trying with needles, needlenose pliers, etc. and still can't get it.
Oy.
-Nic

shark92651
03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
It sounds like someone forgot to install the spring. if you just can't get it out you could try drilling a small hole in it with a hand drill and then see if you can grip it with the pliers in the hole. If still won't budge, you could try using a screw and screw it partially into the "pilot" hole you drilled, and then grab the screw head with some pliers and pull it out.