PDA

View Full Version : Can you use PMAG bodies to rebuild pre-ban AR15 30 rd mags.

kpblade
03-11-2008, 3:13 PM
I have some old cheaply built pre-ban AR15 30 rd mags that don't feed worth crap. I thing the feed lips area out of spec. I know I can re-build them w/ new GI spec mag bodies, but I'm wondering if PMAG bodies can be used with the original springs/followers/floor plates. etc to make a legal re-built mag.

Jicko
03-11-2008, 3:14 PM
Spring only.

The floor plates and the followers are NOT compatible.

DedEye
03-11-2008, 3:14 PM
Spring.

+1. The Pmag uses a USGI spring.

You'll probably want to eventually replace your old spring as well though. Besides having a new spring without wear on it, the Pmag springs have painted indicators on them to tell you your round count (on the Maglevel models).

Jicko
03-11-2008, 3:16 PM
+1. The Pmag uses a USGI spring.

I marked my old springs with nail polish tho. (The round count mark)

aileron
03-11-2008, 4:10 PM
Dude, I never would of thunk it.

aplinker
03-11-2008, 9:58 PM
There's no restriction that they persist with parts that are from the original magazine, only that no additional hi-caps be created.

saki302
03-11-2008, 10:46 PM
+1000

aplinker
03-11-2008, 11:21 PM
+1000

You could've posted something much better than that for your 2000th post! ;)

Or were you referring to making 1000 additional mags that didn't exist before the ban? :D

SunriseF150
03-12-2008, 8:21 AM
Yeah I've rebuilt a few damaged preban mags with PMAG parts. I'm going to have to do some more as I was reconditioning some more prebans and putting on a new Permasilk-G drylube finish, new magpul followers, new springs. I noticed some of the mag bodies were split at the spot welds.

mrjones98
03-15-2008, 3:36 PM
This is very interesting to me. I never really thought about what constituted repairing vs. manufacturing...

So as long as I have hi-cap mags from before the ban, I can repair them with new parts up to and including every single part? Would it be necessary (a good idea...) to keep the old parts to prove that I had the mags from before the ban?

Also, would it matter if the pre-ban mags I'm repairing were 20rds and, after repairing them, they would be 30rds (and vice-versa)?

I've been eyeing the pmags but didn't think I could ever have any because I assumed it would be manufacturing (vs. repairing).

Thanks!

Pred@tor
03-15-2008, 3:44 PM
Or simply do not go to ranges with standard capacity mags if you're worried about proving anything...

aplinker
03-15-2008, 3:48 PM
This question comes up about 5 times a week.

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

That's in the newbie thread ;)

This is very interesting to me. I never really thought about what constituted repairing vs. manufacturing...

So as long as I have hi-cap mags from before the ban, I can repair them with new parts up to and including every single part? Would it be necessary (a good idea...) to keep the old parts to prove that I had the mags from before the ban?

Also, would it matter if the pre-ban mags I'm repairing were 20rds and, after repairing them, they would be 30rds?

I've been eyeing the pmags but didn't think I could ever have any because I assumed it would be manufacturing (vs. repairing).

Thanks!