PDA

View Full Version : Bad experience with OpticsPlanet

nn3453
03-21-2014, 8:46 AM
FYI, don't bother dealing with these guys. I tried to buy a Benchmade Impel Auto, blade length = 1.98", so legal to own and carry. I handled one in person and liked it, so decided to order it online.

Their "Risk Management" team put my order on hold and are asking for a letter on law enforcement letter head and some other made up form that indemnifies them and makes you sign all sorts of waivers.

Beware of vendors that impose their own rules. We have plenty to deal with already.

Stay away from these guys. There are others that will do business with us lowly Californians.

nn3453
03-21-2014, 8:54 AM
Wow, so apparently looks like shipping across state lines is illegal according to Federal law? How have I seen them available at stores in California then? Is it because they are police supply stores?

Ninask
03-21-2014, 8:55 AM
Sounds about right for Optics Planet, I'll pass.
N

Artema
03-21-2014, 9:10 AM
I have an order from them for a nice leather rifle sling. I hope they don't screw it up. Normally auto knives are legal only for Military, Police, EMT, and people with one arm according to federal law. Maybe if it is under 2" there's an exemption?

haw1144
03-21-2014, 10:21 AM
try out bladehq. i've always had no issues there and they have great prices as well

jyo
03-24-2014, 7:45 PM
I've delt with Optics Planet a couple of times with no real issues...

Digital_Boy
04-06-2014, 6:18 PM
Maybe if it is under 2" there's an exemption?

This is the PC in California. Automatic (aka switchblades) under 2" blade length are legal to possess and carry for the great unwashed. CA PC 21510-21590:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=21001-22000&file=21510-21590

Thus, since the PC specifically states " 2" or greater blade length", it therefore follows that a blade length under 2" is legal to carry in public, a car, etc.

Nonsensical, but that's the law. Hopefully KnifeRights can use the impetus that NRA and others are building for RKBA to cover knives and repeal the Federal Switchblade Act of 1958, or amend it into a hollowed out husk.

mjpjr1
04-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Thats California law, but I believe federal law makes it illegal to ship automatic knives across state lines except to leo or firefighters. I dont believe there are exemptions for under 2" in the federal law.
This is the PC in California. Automatic (aka switchblades) under 2" blade length are legal to possess and carry for the great unwashed. CA PC 21510-21590:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=21001-22000&file=21510-21590

Thus, since the PC specifically states " 2" or greater blade length", it therefore follows that a blade length under 2" is legal to carry in public, a car, etc.

Nonsensical, but that's the law. Hopefully KnifeRights can use the impetus that NRA and others are building for RKBA to cover knives and repeal the Federal Switchblade Act of 1958, or amend it into a hollowed out husk.

Artema
04-08-2014, 6:53 AM
Thats California law, but I believe federal law makes it illegal to ship automatic knives across state lines except to leo or firefighters. I dont believe there are exemptions for under 2" in the federal law.

The federal law more specifically states that a supplier may sell and ship to Military, Police, EMT, and people with one arm.

Warhawk014
04-09-2014, 10:22 PM
The federal law more specifically states that a supplier may sell and ship to Military, Police, EMT, and people with one arm.

This is my understanding as well. Op needs to change thread title to "federal knife laws suck"

JoshuaS
04-09-2014, 11:18 PM

But only if less than 3 inches!

Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply toŚ
(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;
(2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;
(3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty;
(4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm; or
(5) a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife.

What if you have an arm, but no hand with that arm! This is discriminatory!!

Artema
04-10-2014, 8:44 AM
What if you have an arm, but no hand with that arm! This is discriminatory!!

This would be the only type of solution to that.

http://hight3ch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/hidden-arm-knife.jpg

Garand1911
04-17-2014, 12:59 AM
OP is just CYA
plenty of others to deal with