PDA

View Full Version : Using bullet on front sight post

aileron
03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Okay, at the appleseed shoot, I could not use a bullet to turn down my front sight on AR-15 type rifle A2 HBAR upper with standard front sight, either I was doing it wrong. Or some front sights cannot use this method.

What gives? Is this no longer a feature, or only on some front sights? If so how do I know which to get? If I ever get another one.

Suvorov
03-11-2008, 12:24 PM
I has always worked for me. It is a pain in the butt though and easy to loose track of "clicks" as over half the time the bullet slips. Still it works on my ARs and every M-16 I've ever seen. Nails tend to work better and if you own an AR type rifle, it is well worth the $5 to buy a sight adjustment tool.

bwiese
03-11-2008, 12:55 PM
You can - or should be able to do so.

You use the tip as a tool (hey, there's another application of a bullet tip being used as a tool) to press the detent pin - and shove/rotate the flared bottom cap of the front sight pin over the detent into the next position.

Perhaps you're bottomed out due to a mismatched rear sight?

Perhaps it's just stuck and not well-lubed? (Soak w/CLP. Coat visible portion of front sight post with cigar ash afterward to avoid target-interfering shine.)

Yes, a bullet tip ain't that great. Try some other similar-sized tool - an Allen or Torx driver, for example. Or a true A2 sight too.

Just get that detent pin down, and the front sight post should rotate relatively easily.

If you DO use a bullet tip USE CARE TO ASSURE THE BULLET DID NOT SET BACK IN THE CASE due to inadequate crimp and/or non-cannelured bullet. Really, for most shooters, this is an emergency thing and another tool is preferred. (Weak crimps common on reloads, some commercial ammo, and match and maybe hunting ammo.) Usage of a round with a set-back bullet can lead to elevated, unsafe chamber pressures - better to throw the round away after such use.

aileron
03-11-2008, 5:12 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try it later with a Azoom snap cap.