PDA

View Full Version : Pressing Front Sight Base

bodiebill
03-19-2014, 3:47 PM
One member asked how to press on Front sight Base (FSB)

Following is our procedure
Comments welcomed

FITTING THE MUZZLE BRAKE

Front Sight Base (FSB) with indent pin and spring removed.
Muzzle Brake (MB) of your choice
FSB pins
FSB detent pin and spring
Toth Tools
Socket
DyeChem (machinist bluing)
Scribe

1. Thread on the Muzzle Brake (MB) until it bottoms out on the internal shoulder of the MB.

2. Back up (unscrew) one or two threads until the MB detent pin notch is at 12 to 1 o’clock. Remember the barrel muzzle thread is left hand twist.

3. Measure the width of the FSB, should be between 0.450” and 0.570”. This varies between countries of origin.

4. Place the FSB behind the Muzzle Brake. Mark the barrel with DyeChem then scribe a mark at the rear of the FSB. This mark will be the terminus of the FSB when pushing the FSB onto the barrel.
Note: Make certain that the FSB is not too far back on the barrel where the barrel outside diameter increases. Some barrels have a distinct demarkation of barrel outside diameters. If this occurs then the MB must be unscrewed several threads more and the FSB scribe mark be moved forward.

5. With the Toth Tooling press the FSB onto the barrel stopping at the scribe mark.

6. Thread on the Muzzle Brake to determine if it aligns with the indent pin notch at 12 o’clock.

7. If necessary for final fitting, file the rear flat of the MB for more accurate fitting.

WNS 5 Nov 2011

baih777
03-19-2014, 4:33 PM
I am assuming your talking about a AK47 ?

bodiebill
03-20-2014, 11:36 AM
yes, AK47

kcstott
03-20-2014, 2:45 PM
Yeah thats way to complicated and waste of good lay out fluid

I put the FSB on the barrel put the assembly in the press and press the sight on until i see the unthreaded portion of the barrel just stick out of the FSB say .010"-.020".

Remove assembly from the press and clamp in the mill in the machine vise. Using a center finder i align the rear sight, gas block, and FSB all within .010". I then lay the assembly on it's side in the vise, drill all the holes, install the pins, and verify the alignment once more. done.