PDA

View Full Version : Well nothin to do but wait!!!

The Gunslinger
03-10-2008, 1:22 PM
Well I took the plunge and went for a new rifle. I have been wanting to get a .308 bolt action rifle for some time now. Originally I was leaning towards a Savage, but then after reading many post here and there I decided to go the remington 700 rout. Then it was between the SPS or the new VTR. I read lots of good things on the sps, and very few about the VTR. Not that there weren't good reviews, just that there were very few reviews. Well I thought hell lets give this new fangel rifle a try. the MSRP is $800 and that is what the gunshops around me were asking , so I checked out gunbroker and got it for $629. So now all I can do is wait and stock up on ammo. After the time to ship and then the good ol 10 day wait I should have it around the 27th. I can't wait. I'm curious how it will feel. I have never fired a .308 before. I have put 1000's of rounds threw my 91/30 though so it should not be too bad eh? I will be picking it up that Friday and then right to the range!! What is the best break in procedure for a rilfe like this? Cheers !! "Good shooting to all and to all a good shoot"

Havik89
03-10-2008, 2:04 PM
You can start the DROS right away, that way you get it sooner.

The Gunslinger
03-10-2008, 2:08 PM
I tried..belive me. They said they have to wait until they get it in the shop. At first I questioned that, but remembered that it was the same at a different shop when I odered my shotgun. They wouldn't start the DROS until they got it in their shop either. No problem I can be patiant I suppose. Hell it gives me time to stock up on some good ammo......

Havik89
03-10-2008, 2:16 PM
That sucks, I thought it didn't matter on rifles.

Baron
03-10-2008, 2:28 PM
I know the feeling man
I just ordered a WASR-10 and I have to wait for the FFL to recieve the rifle before they will let me start the DROS... But atleast it has already shipped from DD's Ranch and the FFL is super close...
Different rules at different stores.

Man and I told the wife the 10day wait was hard, this will be like a 15-20 day wait depending on when they recieve it...

Oh well I guess it's a good thing I bought some other goodies to mess with for my shotgun...LOL

cypher
03-10-2008, 4:42 PM
I love my .308 great to shoot. Tic/toc tic/toc. have fun!

I understanding the waiting sucks . . . I bought my first OLL last week and ordered the rest of the build parts the next day. Hopefully the parts come about the same time the DROS completes.

Any one Know if CMMG shipping times are good?

KIDRR
03-11-2008, 1:45 AM
Post some pics up when you get it :D

AngelDecoys
03-11-2008, 8:32 AM
I can't wait. I'm curious how it will feel. I have never fired a .308 before. I will be picking it up that Friday and then right to the range!! What is the best break in procedure for a rilfe like this? Cheers !! "Good shooting to all and to all a good shoot"

Outstanding buy. May the rifle serve you well and allow you great fun.

1. What kind of optics are you putting on that Rem .308? Nightforce, US Optics, Leupold, Weaver, something else?
2. Does your rifle come with iron sights? Mine Rem came without iron sights.
.............If not, are you planning on breaking in the barrel without the optics mounted?
3. What utility are you planning with it?
4. Hunting? Benchrest? Precision Rifle shooting? (100, 300, 600, or 1000 yards)

There are several schools of thought on 'breaking in' or conditioning the barrel. I'm a little hesitant to give you advice on that, as there are differing opinions for best accuracy. Some suggest cleaning the barrel exponentially (1st, 2nd, 4th, 8th, 16th, etc up to 400 rounds). Others, every 10 shots for the first 100, then every 20 for another 200. And I've heard of other methods as well.

Here's some advice from Krieger barrels (http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/RapidCat/catalog/pagetemplate.cfm?template=/RapidCat/common/viewPage.cfm&PageId=2558&CompanyId=1246), inc. By no means should you take their advice as the definitive answer. I'm just passing it along as an example.

Enjoy the rifle, but spend a little time doing some research on the utility planned, and how you want to outfit the rifle. Find the method you feel is right in conditioning the barrel.

The Gunslinger
03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Well I plan on doing benchrest/precision shooting (i'm not into hunting) and plan on starting at 100 yd and working my way out to 1000yd. With my 91/30 I would shoot out to 500 with ok results but with the new rilfe I want to start from scratch with distance. For optics I was planing in going the supersniper rout. For now I will just be useing my barska 6-24x40 mildot scope until I can save up for a better scope, mount and rings. You had asked about iron sights, well the rifle comes with none so for the break in I will for sure be mounting a scope. I can't wait to get her going.....I would like to get into shooting matches, like I have read about at places like a place to shoot or high desert marksman club after I put in some range time with the rifle....and to answere a previous post pics are absolutly to follow...