PDA

View Full Version : Help me diagnose my WASR-10 cycling problem

shark92651
03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I took my WASR-10 that I got from DDs Ranch to the range for the first time this weekend. The problem I am having is that it does cycle, eject, and feed a new round but it is not resetting the hammer. I can fire one round, then I have to manually charge the handle, ejecting the round that was chambered, before I can fire again. What could be the problem here? I lubricated the rails the bolt carrier rides on but that didn't help. I should note that I did clean out the entire gun pretty well inside and out before shooting it, including the gas tube.

I was shooting Winchester White Box. My next thought is to try Wolf or something else. Any other ideas?

caduckgunner
03-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Weak hammer spring?

jandmtv
03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Shark, order a tapco G2 trigger group, problem solved.

thedrickel
03-10-2008, 1:45 PM
It's not "not resetting the hammer", the hammer is following the bolt carrier home because the disconnector isn't hold it back. What kind of FCG are you using and how does it behave when you do a function check?

shark92651
03-10-2008, 1:50 PM
I'll take a closer look at it tonight as the disconnector issue sounds viable. I'm not sure what FCG is in it as it came from DDs ranch, which I assume means there are several here with the same FCG. I'll take a look tonight and see if I can determine the mfg. It functions fine when I manually charge it. What sort of function check do you suggest I try?

Thanks

FEDUPWBS
03-10-2008, 1:54 PM
Its a WASR what did you expect. Here is a link for function check and trouble shooting your following problem http://www.nodakspud.com/troubleshooting.htm

hoozaru
03-10-2008, 1:54 PM
is the firing pin clean?

shark92651
03-10-2008, 3:12 PM
Its a WASR what did you expect. Here is a link for function check and trouble shooting your following problem http://www.nodakspud.com/troubleshooting.htm

Well I didn't expect a whole lot but I do expect it to always go bang, never jam, and all the other praise everybody heaps on this design :rolleyes: Thanks for the link, the "hammer follow" problem sounds like that is exactly what I am running into.

FEDUPWBS
03-10-2008, 3:15 PM
They work great when properly built.

mason1800
03-10-2008, 3:18 PM
I had the same issue with the G2 trigger group(single hook).

HendersonDefense
03-10-2008, 4:54 PM
We have had this problem with a couple of the rifles that we have built and a couple WASR rifles. The WASR you purchased should already have a G2 trigger group in it. Look at the NoDak instructions and start with the disconnector. My uncle had me file down the contact surface of the disconnector on the G2 trigger groups before I even assembled the rifles. I didn't need to take too much off and they all worked properly after that. The dimensions are SO close that it's literally just "a hair" out of spec.

Henderson Defense :)

FEDUPWBS
03-10-2008, 8:27 PM
:popcorn:Hey you know what they say.:

It`s better if everyone thinks you`re stupid than open your mouth and deliver the proof.;)

You have the bad habit to pontificate about things you have no clue about.

Bucc
03-10-2008, 8:34 PM
:popcorn:

You got butter and salt on that right?

shark92651
03-10-2008, 9:07 PM
Alright, while we wait for the ensuing fireworks of the sideshow...

I performed the function check and it seems to be working fine. It IS a Tapco G2 trigger group from what I see on the side of the hammer. When I perform the function check, I pull the trigger, keep it depressed while I slide back the carrier and release. The back of the hammer is held by the disconnector. When I release the trigger, the hammer is caught by the piece on the side of the trigger (I hope that description makes sense). Pulling the trigger after that releases the hammer. Repeating the process and putting on safe, no hammer fall. It appears to be passing this test. What else should I be looking for?

thedrickel
03-10-2008, 9:18 PM
You got anything funky in there, like a recoil buffer?

s2000news
03-10-2008, 9:28 PM
Subscribe to thread. Check!

- Got some pics of this bad boy Shark?

shark92651
03-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Here are some pics in case this offers any clues:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2117/2325433091_df0c1538d0_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/2326253462_68c6648403_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/2326253520_55a3db8d0a_o.jpg

I guess something is happening during live fire that isn't happening in this function test :confused:

oaklander
03-10-2008, 10:23 PM
OK - this is going to sound really simple - but I *think* your disconnecter is hitting your trigger spring sometimes, and that's keeping it from setting properly.

If you look in the pics, your disconnecter is ending up right almost on top of your trigger spring (left side only).

Get some needle nose pliers, and pull the spring back a little bit so that it does not hit the disconnecter.

That's my educated guess.

My other educated guess is that it may not like the ammo. Try some plain jane Wolf and see what it does.

EDIT: the big caveat here is that I'm not a gunsmith!!! So YMMV!!!

:D

Bucc
03-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Shot in the dark here...
There is supposed to be a spring in the trigger disconnector unit all pinned together.
Maybe that spring is either not present or unseated or not correct tension?
Stuff happens really fast in there and if it isn't all correct stuff happens too slow to engage the hammer maybe?

frigginchi
03-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Maybe the gas port thingamajig wasn't installed correctly and is partially covering the gas port on the barrel making it short stroke. Excuse the improper terminology.

shark92651
03-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Get some needle nose pliers, and pull the spring back a little bit so that it does not hit the disconnecter.

Ok, I see exactly what you are saying - I'll make that adjustment and try some Wolf on my next range trip.

Shot in the dark here...
There is supposed to be a spring in the trigger disconnector unit all pinned together.
Maybe that spring is either not present or unseated or not correct tension?
Stuff happens really fast in there and if it isn't all correct stuff happens too slow to engage the hammer maybe?

The spring is present, and should be new but you never know...

Maybe the gas port thingamajig wasn't installed correctly and is partially covering the gas port on the barrel making it short stroke. Excuse the improper terminology.

My original thought was that it was short stroking but I'm not so sure now. It is cycling enough to properly feed and lock onto the next round. I tried manually pulling back the bolt just enough to feed the next round and that was also enough to cock the hammer, at least as far as I could tell. Thanks for all the advice, I'll tweak the spring and try it again next trip out.

motorhead
03-10-2008, 11:43 PM
make sure the gas tube and piston are clean and dry(no lube)
make sure the sleeve was not left out of the g2
fire 1 rd with the top cover off to watch cycle

bohoki
03-10-2008, 11:51 PM
you have to function check it

the fire control group may be out of spec

with gun empty

pull back bolt handle,release

pull trigger,hold trigger back

pull back bolt handle, release

release trigger, pull trigger did the firing pin fall on the pull?