PDA

View Full Version : Compound Bow - Sight Picture

CrispyCream
03-16-2014, 5:21 PM
All - I got me 6 year old a Diamond Atomic, youth compound bow. It comes with a 3-dot truglow sight. But there is no rear peep attached to the string. Presumably, there is a way to aim this thing without a rear peep. So, what should the sight picture look like?
A) string right on the dots arrow pointing left ?
B) string right on the dots, and arrow also inline with the string & dots ?
C) string aligned with the riser (right of dots) ?

As you can see, I'm pretty confused what the right sight picture. Strangely, though, giving my son no advice at all, he's hitting the bulls eye 50% of the time, and when I ask him what he's doing..... he says "I'm just looking at the bulls eye and ignoring the truglow dots, string and arrows? So, maybe I should just let him go "instinctive" like throwing basketball shots, and maybe even remove the truglo.

Please share you thoughts !

bigbossman
03-16-2014, 6:52 PM
Please share you thoughts !

Go to an archery shop and have a peep installed. They are cheap, easy to put in, and will make things a lot easier on you.

covingtonhouse
03-16-2014, 8:19 PM
Second the peep sight. Make sure the draw length is correct also. With a peep sight, your sight picture would be just like a rifle. Even daylight all the way around the pin. Instinctive is good for practice, and trad style shooting, but for hunting...I'd rather be sure of my shot, and make every effort for a humane kill.

RCJeeper
03-21-2014, 4:44 PM
There's really no way around a peep sight. They are cheap and easy to install. Without one it's sorta like aiming a gun with just the front sight. Without a second fixed point of reference, no real aiming is occurring.