PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, complete beginner here.

R3537
03-10-2008, 3:09 AM
Alright guys, i'm about to turn 20 very soon, and i've been wanting a gun for a while now. I've been mildly researching the types of rifles out there and what I want and what I can afford coupled with the fact of what I think I can handle. Here's the catch, this would be my very first firearm. I've never shot one. My brother has a berretta M9(I think?) that i've held but that's about it. Yeah.

So obvious wants is for me to be able to afford and own a highly customized M4gery. But seeing as how i've never owned a gun, never shot a gun, barely have held a gun, and don't have THAT much money to spend on a whim...I think the idea while maybe good in the future might not be the best idea currently. :)

Keeping that in mind I feel as though there are a few guns i've heard would do well...
The 1022 keeps popping up everywhere I go, and in terms of milisurp I like the K98 and the Mosin nagant with emphisis on the former. Seeing as how I could buy like 3 of the millisurp guns for the prices i've seen for 1022s and for the factor that they have history appeals to me more.

Lastly, my apartment is just that an apartment, so the whole going out to the back yard and shooting isn't an option. How comfortable are ranges with a person who has just bought there first gun at a target and attempting to even operate the gun, let alone shoot it? :rolleyes:

Suggestions? Comments? Laughs? :)

mchector
03-10-2008, 3:30 AM
I'm still kind of a noob too, do you have a more experienced friend to go to the range with you? That helped me a lot too ( I didn't know what I was doing)

If not you might want to post your location, I'm sure theres plenty of calgunners who are willing to go with you :cool:

DedEye
03-10-2008, 3:56 AM
You've listed the correct answer in your first post (btw, welcome): get the 10/22. MSRP is around $200 so they're very cheap starter guns and will allow you to get lots of practice without spending a lot of money. When you want a rifle with more kick to it, a $100 Mosin is a good, affordable way to begin expanding your collection.

Most ranges will be very welcoming, assuming you aren't a fool when it comes to safety (watch where you point the muzzle, that sort of thing).

rod
03-10-2008, 5:08 AM
The 1022 would be an excellent choice. It's customizable and inexpensive. Ammo is inexpensive too, so you could shoot all day for a few bucks.

I recommend taking a firearm safety course before you go to the range, if you haven't already done so. When you do get to the range, follow the rules and you won't have any problems. In fact, most folks (staff and customers) would be willing to help you out.

Good luck and welcome to CG.

Max-the-Silent
03-10-2008, 5:14 AM
+ 1 on .22's for that first firearm.

Practice, practice, practice and professional instruction are the fundemental building blocks of marksmanship.

If you're on a budget, the only way for you to go is the rimfire caliber.

Take a basic firearms safety class, practice with the rimfire as you save up for a good quality centerfire piece. Start asking around about training facilities - think Front Sight or Thuinder Ranch.

There is no substitute for professional instruction.

robitrocks
03-10-2008, 5:21 AM
You've listed the correct answer in your first post (btw, welcome): get the 10/22. MSRP is around $200 so they're very cheap starter guns and will allow you to get lots of practice without spending a lot of money. When you want a rifle with more kick to it, a $100 Mosin is a good, affordable way to begin expanding your collection.

Most ranges will be very welcoming, assuming you aren't a fool when it comes to safety (watch where you point the muzzle, that sort of thing).

+1. Keep an eye on the Marketplace here on CalGuns and you can find all kinds of great deals. It might not be a bad idea to sign up for a NRA rifle class at your local range. Good luck and welcome.

Mac
03-10-2008, 5:22 AM

jksupplyco
03-10-2008, 5:52 AM
An OLL is a great way to start if thats what you want. DROS a lower, and throw a couple of bucks at it every month until its done.

jegonzo3
03-10-2008, 6:08 AM
And if you live in the Sacramento region, you can get a 10/22 at Wild Sports for $170 (last time I saw it in their ad). Good luck.

jegonzo3

USN CHIEF
03-10-2008, 6:11 AM
You may also want to meet fellow cal gunners at a range.. I am pretty sure that someone will be willing to meet you at the range to better assist you and guide you correctly.

Biff...
03-10-2008, 6:14 AM
My choice for my first gun was a Glock 19 9mm, just the right size of a beginner. I recently gave it to my wife for her first gun, so it servered two beginners.

TurboFall
03-10-2008, 6:17 AM
10/22 is a great option to start with. I started shooting with a milsurp Mosin Nagant, and my friend with a 10/22. I'm still stingy about ammo prices, while he just dumps bricks at a time. Looking back, I should've grabbed a 10/22 instead.

Pat4x4
03-10-2008, 7:06 AM
the funny thing is a 10/22 is a great first gun, but for me it is one of the most fun guns I own many years after I started shooting.. You can not go wrong with a 10/22 period.. I also would recommed a lever action 22 like a 39A Marlin or a henry.. Levers are a fun way to shoot too

fairfaxjim
03-10-2008, 7:25 AM
You can't go wrong with a .22lr as your first gun. You may end up keeping it for life, and if not, you will at least probably own one all your life. The 10/22 has a lot going for it as a first rifle. It is inexpensive (I think Big 5 has them on sale this week), it is inexpensive to shoot compared to the rest, and it is highly customizable. It is also easier to learn proper tecnique with less recoil. I always start new people out with a .22lr, both rifle and pistol noobs. Another .22lr plus is that you can shoot it at the indoor ranges (most all pistol caliber rifles too.)

I really recommend that you find someone to be a mentor, at least at the very first. There are lots of dos and don't, both safety and proper shooting, to get a handle on. And there is the actual mechanics of operating the firearm. Improper operating and handling of the firearm at a range will get you in trouble, it is a safety issue. If you go it alone, make sure you have practiced operating your rifle, and how to do it with proper muzzle control. That is where an experienced teacher who is watching how you do things is a great help. Ask around, and even post your location here and ask for someone to go with you. I'd be suprised if you didn't get a taker.

Most of all, have fun with your new rifle, and know it won't be the last.

SmithAndJohnson
03-10-2008, 8:36 AM
First off, welcome to the forum and welcome to the addiction.
Just wait until you're 21 and can buy handguns... *sigh*

Keeping that in mind I feel as though there are a few guns i've heard would do well...
The 1022 keeps popping up everywhere I go, and in terms of milisurp I like the K98 and the Mosin nagant with emphisis on the former. Seeing as how I could buy like 3 of the millisurp guns for the prices i've seen for 1022s and for the factor that they have history appeals to me more.

As multiple people have confirmed, you already know the answer - get a 10/22. In production since 1964, the design is so "perfect" it hasn't changed much sincel. Magazines from 1964 will work in a 2008 model, as will most accessories.

Being on a budget, I can definitely understand the urge to go with the cheaper gun but *believe all of us* - ammo is the expensive part of shooting. Let me spell it out loud and clear:

-With the K98 or the Nagant, you're paying between $.50 and $1.50 a round, depending on how well you shop around and how much bulk you buy in. A quick search online shows about $20/20rd for the K98 and more for the Nagant.
-With the 10/22 you can waltz into WalMart and walk out with 1050 rounds for that same $20

The 10/22 is accurate, a joy to shoot out of the box, infinitely customizable, and you will always want to have at least 1 in your collection. It is *the* starter gun. It's on sale for $220 at Big 5 this week, but you can probably do better if you shop around (and are in SoCal).

Now, if $200 truly is too expensive for you right now, another *great* starter that hasn't been mentioned is a Marlin 60 (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/60.aspx) for just over $100. It has the advantage of legally having a capacity greater than 10 rounds in California (past 20, I think, if you use .22 short) but the disadvantage of not having detachable mags. A tube-speedloader will fix that right up.

I have one of these also, and it is just as much of a joy to shoot as my 10/22 - just more of a pain to reload.

Whichever you choose, you'll have a blast - welcome to the club! ;)

Paratus et Vigilans
03-10-2008, 8:43 AM
As suggested by other posters, let us know where you're located, and no doubt you will get offers from folks here to meet up with you at a local range and get you started in the right direction.

You are going to need some basic firearms safety instruction before you go shooting. It doesn't take long, but no one is going to take you shooting without a prior safety brief. It's best if you can do it before you get to the range, unless the range has a classroom that you can use to do it. Doing it on the firing line isn't the world's greatest idea, but it can be done if there are no other options.

The next thing you need to do, before you buy a gun, is figure out what kind of shooting you want to do. Pistol, rifle, shotgun, or some or all of them? Most ranges have rental guns that you can try out, and get an idea whether you like them or not, but almost all ranges require that you have a range member with you before they will rent you a gun. (To prevent suicides, usually.) Also, consider this: where will you be able to go on a regular basis to shoot, and what kind of shooting is allowed there? You don't want to buy something that you can't shoot anywhere near where you live or work.

All that being said, something in .22LR is always a good place to start, because the ammo is cheap and there's no recoil to start you flinching before you learn good shooting habits. Then, if you enjoy it, you can step up to larger calibers and higher power rounds, and the increased cost of shooting them!

The cheap surplus rifles, like the Mosin-Nagant M44, while they are great fun to own and shoot, are definitely not for beginners. It's got a hefty kick and belches flame like a dragon. The surplus ammo for it is cheap (not as cheap as .22LR) but cannot be used on most ranges because it will attract a magnet, meaning there's steel in the bullet and ranges don't want steel going downrange for a number of reasons. Winchester puts out range-permitted ammo for the Mosin-Nagant, 7.62mm x 54R, but it's hunting ammo and is close to a buck a pop to shoot. Not where you want to start.

Welcome!

renardsubtil
03-10-2008, 9:24 AM
Heya, I started shooting this year (coincidentally, I just turned 30 too, lol)...okay well, I "did" have a daisy BB gun when I was 10...anyways, here's how I kinda broke into rifles.

I started out with a handgun Kimber 1911 clone since a buddy of mine is heavy into pistols and gave me some pointers (I highly recommended getting a mentor)...BUT I quickly fell in love with the long rifle after going to the local range practically every weekend. I "wanted" a classic FN FAL or to politely ask for my grandpa's service M-14 that he has sitting in a closet but I also really liked the idea of the milsurplus Mosins for the ammo prices but when I found that they weren't entirely very accurate and the recoil was described mostly as "kicks like a mule".

Since I didn't really think I'd like to be kicked by a mule...I decided to try and ease myself into rifle shooting by picking up a Mosin type Training rifle chambered for .22 LR, it's called a WZ48 Polish Trainer - I wanted to get as close as I could to the actual firearm I wanted to "grow" into, so this rifle fit the weight and purpose...

Anyways, between plinking with the .22 to learn how to control my breathing, getting used to the weight (this thing is like 8lbs I think), and looking for a Finnish mosin-nagant, I found the Swiss K31. Read up on this rifle, for the quality and precision, it's well worth the price for what it gives back to you in enjoyment.

I just finally worked up enough gusto took my K31 out last weekend and I have to say, Ah-may-zing. I only put 8 rounds through it before my shoulder started to bother me but I'm a firm believer in the Swiss now :D

Two Shots
03-10-2008, 9:47 AM
I'm going against the grain with saying buy a 22 cal bolt action rifle. Take a safety course at one of the ranges and post your area and maybe a Calgun member will go to the range and coach you. And Welcome

Gunsrruss
03-10-2008, 10:06 AM
If you live in the San Diego area I would be happy to teach you how to shoot. I do this often. Some guys have the best weapons in the world, but can only shoot a 175 out of 500 points at 100 yards:eek: You only need to learn the basics and practice;) The more confident you get the better you will be;) Of course good bullets and guns helps:) Pm me for help,
Russell

R3537
03-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Wow. I'm suprised first, at the welcoming of the community aswell as the AMOUNT of people who have replied. Thank you all for your help guys. So overwhelmingly the answer has definately confirmed and the 1022 is, as I assumed, the best choice. However, I figure it didn't hurt to ask on the off chance there was some other one that people have known about.

Secondly, it is unfortunate that I know absouletly no one in this endeavor to be able to teach me. But due to so many people who are willing to help out, I am located in the Concord California area, and if someone wanted to meet up at a local range, that would be awesome.

Third, as far as what kinds of guns I would like to be shooting, I suppose the simple answer would be to say all of them? For now rifle's primarily untill I reach 21, which I have a feeling will be shortly following the purchase of my first pistol :). Shotguns don't really appeal to me as much as the other two options but i'm not opposed to the idea of trying them. Which may or may not come within the year.

Fourth, I noticed rod mentioned a safety firearm course, where could one be taken?

And lastly, Thank you guys all once again for all the help.

renardsubtil
03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I live out in Dublin, about 30 minutes from you or so. If you can't find anyone to meet you at a place closer to you and want to come out this way, I usually hit a range on Saturday mornings out in Livermore (Livermore Rod and Gun club - http://www.lprg.org/) and I'll let you use my 22 LR or something.

cheers.
-Marcus

molar40
03-10-2008, 11:16 AM
here's something to consider if you live in SoCal...

Centerfire rifle ranges are far and few... there are a lot more ranges that let you shoot rimfire ammo. I think there are 2 centerfire rifle ranges in the SoCal area.

MrNiceGuy
03-10-2008, 12:59 PM
+1 on 10/22, my first rifle/gun when I hit 18 many moons ago.
It's still my "must take" gun whenever I go out to the hills with my buddies, since it's so economical and fun to shoot (I'll still take a 308 or 223 and a shotgun out too though).
I'd consider selling/trading some rifles out of my collection but I will never part with my 10/22 Ruger.

BTW, I live out in your neck of the woods.
I plan to head out to United Sportsman Saturday morning, you're welcome to try out my 10/22 if you want.

fairfaxjim
03-10-2008, 1:07 PM
Calguns.net rocks! All you trolls and mall ninja's take note, R3537 shows up with an intelligent question, and gets tons of support and multiple offers of help from calguns members, with ONE post. And the trash talkers think we flame all noobs - not so.

Way to go guys!

aplinker
03-10-2008, 2:51 PM
here's something to consider if you live in SoCal...

Centerfire rifle ranges are far and few... there are a lot more ranges that let you shoot rimfire ammo. I think there are 2 centerfire rifle ranges in the SoCal area.

:confused::confused::confused:

I can think of 1/2 a dozen off the top of my head that are local to me. This doesn't include the greater LA area.

Where are you that you feel so confined?

Calguns.net rocks! All you trolls and mall ninja's take note, R3537 shows up with an intelligent question, and gets tons of support and multiple offers of help from calguns members, with ONE post. And the trash talkers think we flame all noobs - not so.

Way to go guys!

Look at how the OP phrased his questions. He got a HUGE response because of it.

It's obvious he's a good kid.

Omega13device
03-10-2008, 9:46 PM
Fourth, I noticed rod mentioned a safety firearm course, where could one be taken?

Most clubs will offer a safety course. I don't know the East Bay ranges that well but you could try Chabot (http://www.chabotgunclub.com/). If you look on their web page there's a link on the left side for a "Basic Handgun Safety" class. This would cover everything you need with the exception of slightly different shooting techniques for rifle vs. pistol.

If Chabot isn't convenient I'm sure someone here could suggest another range with a safety course.

Bucc
03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Another vote for a good firearms course by an NRA approved club.
For that matter maybe consider joining the California Rifle and Pistol Assn. or maybe the NRA.
They both have resources that will in addition to people from this site set you well on your way to black rifle disease.

Failing that there are lots of helpful people here.

Also, a 10/22 is tool you'll be able to pass on to great grand kids.
Can't go wrong as a first rifle.
I still have my first 10/22 and couldn't even guess how many rounds I put through it over the last 28 years with zero issues. Literally hundreds of thousands and I bought it used in very used condition.

76231b
03-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Seeing as how I could buy like 3 of the millisurp guns for the prices i've seen for 1022s and for the factor that they have history appeals to me more.

quality not quantity.

R3537
03-11-2008, 4:14 AM
Omega-

I looked at the chabot website and it's not that far from where I used to live. I definately think if I get into the swing of things it would be a range I could frequent. Scrolling through that link I noticed a part that says "activities" and small bore rifle, with .22 stuff. Has anybody taken these classes or can recommend them?

As for flaming noobs, All I can say is it hasn't been my experience that's for sure. :)

WokMaster1
03-11-2008, 8:41 AM
You're in Concord. There is a great outdoor gun range Concord Sportsmen's Club http://www.concordsportsmensclub.org/location.html

Have you been there yet? You have to pass a very easy safety test first & get a Purple card. (safely load & unload, clear a jam on handguns & long guns)

PM me once you have it. We can meet there on a Monday morning & I'll bring some toys for you to try.:)

+1 on getting a beginners safety class. See soldier415 at Bullseye in San Rafael for details.

Where's Ivan? You spend a day with Ivan at the range, you'll be qualified for anything short of airborne.:p

Welcome aboard.

packnrat
03-11-2008, 9:15 AM
just a quickey scan of this thread, but how and were are you going to store your guns?

save up for a good safe.

:TFH:

elroy
03-11-2008, 9:59 AM
if you need a high quality instruction as a noob or even if you have experiance try the appleseed program if you can get to one , i did it last weekend and i highly reccomend it to everyone

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=61.0

are you near ridgecrest may 3-4 ?

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1556.0