PDA

View Full Version : AK47 Rail problem!!

mason1800
03-09-2008, 9:53 PM
I need to replace the ejector rail on an AK47. Is there a easy way to replace the ejector rail without damaging or building a new receiver? Any help is appriciated.

saki302
03-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Hmm.. you would have to carefully drill out the spot welds, and drill out the center rivet.

Then, re-weld the new ejector inplace (probably using a TIG welder since you just drilled out 2-4 holes), and re-set the center rivet. Yoy may get away with spot welding again, but you'll still have leftover holes.

In short, it is more difficult than an 80% build, but possible if you have the tools.

What happened to the ejector rail? I've seen mis-hardened ejectors, but they usually work harden (by getting pounded) after awhile, and stop smushing down after a point.

-Dave

mason1800
03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Well, I was trimming the ejector down, so that bolt and the bolt carrier would slide back and forward smoothly. But I trimmed them to short. Now, when the bolt rides back the snap cap dont eject. I spot weld the rails on, but they might be able to snap of if I use enough pressure and try to pry them off. I dont mind replacing just the center support and the rail. I'm just trying to avoid having to demill the whole reciever and build again.

mason

adamsreeftank
03-10-2008, 3:27 AM
Why not just grind the end off and tig weld a new piece on?

robitrocks
03-10-2008, 3:49 AM
Well, I was trimming the ejector down, so that bolt and the bolt carrier would slide back and forward smoothly. But I trimmed them to short. Now, when the bolt rides back the snap cap dont eject. I spot weld the rails on, but they might be able to snap of if I use enough pressure and try to pry them off. I dont mind replacing just the center support and the rail. I'm just trying to avoid having to demill the whole reciever and build again.

mason

I did the EXACT same thing. I think I'm just going to grind off the two little spot welds and weld a new rail on. If I screw up really bad, i'll just bend a new flat at the SD build party. :-P I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

JHC
03-10-2008, 5:32 AM
I blew the tip off an ejector on my pistol with my spot welder when I positioned it wrong, no biggie, I just built it back up with a tig and it's been running fine

motorhead
03-10-2008, 7:47 AM
build up with welder and reshape. probably your only option as removal usually trashes rec..

saki302
03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Yep- in your case, building it up with weld may eb the easiest option. Or if the spot welds are weak, a chisel may snap off the old ejector (hit from the rear).

-Dave

Builder
03-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I blew the tip off an ejector on my pistol with my spot welder when I positioned it wrong, no biggie, I just built it back up with a tig and it's been running fine
build up with welder and reshape probably your only option as removal usually trashes rec..
I'd vote for the TIG adding a tip to the current ejector and reshaping. More than likely, removal would risk damaging the receiver and then where'd you be? A few minutes with a local TIG welder vs. hours of rail removal & replacement?
Besides, the TIG imparts partial heat treatment.
Thanks,
Builder

mason1800
03-10-2008, 2:17 PM
I was actually thinking of having someone adding to the tip, but thought the force of the steel casing would damage or just chip it away.
thanks guys,

mason

FEDUPWBS
03-10-2008, 2:26 PM

mason

What an IDIOT!!!!!

I have done this too:) NEVER use a grinder on the ejector FILE ONLY!!! weld it up (mig or tig) OR build a new receiver. Changing it is near impossible and not worth the effort.

mason1800
03-10-2008, 3:10 PM
What an IDIOT!!!!!

:D

Done this too:) NEVER use a grinder on the ejector FILE ONLY!!! weld it up (mig or tig) OR build a new receiver. Changing it is near impossible and not worth the effort.

:D:D:D