PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone using for primers?

rksimple
03-09-2008, 9:06 PM
Just interested to see what primers are being used for accuracy. I've been using WLR's for a while now, but my last couple sleeves of them haven't been too great in the es department. I have 4k of some russian LR's that I have yet to try and 1k of some 210's to go through as well. I kind of want to get about 10k of one type to burn up my 308 barrel with the same load. No surprises. I'll save the Russians for a 243 down the line, or use them up in my garand.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the 210m's at around $30/k over the br2's at around $36/k.

What say you? Anyone had good results with plain 'ol cci 200's?

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 9:15 PM
I use Russian (PMC), 210M and WLR. I have found them to be almost interchangable with several loads including my old standby 175 load, though I found that WLRs grouped a little better with that load.

As a side note I finally got around to trying the 155s and sure enough pushed with 44 grns of RE15 they shoot nice liitle holes if I don't screw the pooch. WIth that load I used PMCs . . . may try 210Ms next go around. Since I'm using FGMM brass I won't use WLRs.

rksimple
03-09-2008, 9:17 PM
The WLR's you have...are they the brass colored ones or the silver ones? The newer brass colored ones haven't been so nice to me.

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 9:20 PM
The WLR's you have...are they the brass colored ones or the silver ones? The newer brass colored ones haven't been so nice to me.

They're brass colored - was lucky enough last year to find a lot that was great with my load and went back to the gun store that afternoon and bought all they had. Alas I'm down to my last 2K of that lot, but have more than enough of the other to take their place.

rksimple
03-09-2008, 9:23 PM
I have 5k or more of the WLRs. Let me know what lot you had and I'll see. If you want them, that is. Maybe it just doesn't like my load of varget. I have some RL15 to try out with the new rifle as well. Maybe the WLR's will do the trick with a different powder.

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 9:28 PM
I have 5k or more of the WLRs. Let me know what lot you had and I'll see. If you want them, that is. Maybe it just doesn't like my load of varget. I have some RL15 to try out with the new rifle as well. Maybe the WLR's will do the trick with a different powder.

That may be your problem - WLRs may be a little hot for Varget - Hodgdon powders like CCI primers and Varget and BR2s are long time lovers, like IMR and Fed primers. - I have some BR2s left over from my Varget days if you want to try some.

rksimple
03-09-2008, 9:31 PM
That may be your problem - WLRs may be a little hot for Varget - Hodgdon powders like CCI primers and Varget and BR2s are long time lovers, like IMR and Fed primers. - I have some BR2s left over from my Varget days if you want to try some.

I would love to try them. I have maybe 5 lbs of varget left, but 10 lbs of RL15 to use. Are the WLR's working for you with RL15?

The problem is, the WLR's were working well with varget, but they were the older ones.

Prc329
03-09-2008, 9:34 PM
I've been using CCI BR primers from the beginning. So far so good. Them and IMR4895 or RL15.

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 9:38 PM
That's what Savannah's go to load uses - Win cases, WLR, 43.7 Re15, 175SMK @ 2730 fps MV @ 10' - measured as late as today. I have found that the three primer brands are within 10 fps of each other with this load but the WLR combo had the best groupings though ranked in the middle (actually neck and neck with PMCs) for ES/SD. Oddly the 210Ms had the smallest ES/SD but the 100 yd grps we a tad larger.

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 9:40 PM
I've been using CCI BR primers from the beginning. So far so good. Them and IMR4895 or RL15.

Its odd how that works out as BR2s performance with me is medicore with those two primers. I'd be curious to see what your results were if you used 210Ms with both powders.

PistolPete75
03-09-2008, 9:41 PM
i've used br2 primers exclusively for 30cal shooting.

winchesters are a little too soft for me when i was using them for my .223 loads.

congrats on your new rifle! post a picture of it.

rksimple
03-09-2008, 9:43 PM
That's what Savannah's go to load uses - Win cases, WLR, 43.7 Re15, 175SMK @ 2730 fps MV @ 10' - measured as late as today. I have found that the three primer brands are within 10 fps of each other with this load but the WLR combo had the best groupings though ranked in the middle (actually neck and neck with PMCs) for ES/SD. Oddly the 210Ms had the smallest ES/SD but the 100 yd grps we a tad larger.

Well now I'm all screwed up. I'll have to wait to try it out. I was going to jump on 10k of the 210m's while wideners had them, but I may be wasting my time if my stock of WLR's is going to shoot the RL15 just as well. All my russians are the newer ones imported by Wolf, but supposedly are the same old russians. Have your PMC's been reliable for you as far as ignition? How about seating the primers?

rksimple
03-09-2008, 9:45 PM
i've used br2 primers exclusively for 30cal shooting.

winchesters are a little too soft for me when i was using them for my .223 loads.

congrats on your new rifle! post a picture of it.

Randy said it should be done late this week or early next week. I'll probably have it just in time for the match. I might have a day to get it dialed in, might not.

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 9:49 PM
Well now I'm all screwed up. I'll have to wait to try it out. I was going to jump on 10k of the 210m's while wideners had them, but I may be wasting my time if my stock of WLR's is going to shoot the RL15 just as well. All my russians are the newer ones imported by Wolf, but supposedly are the same old russians. Have your PMC's been reliable for you as far as ignition? How about seating the primers?

The PMC red are fantastic the greens have about a 10% fail ratio. I have found though that they must be seated hard against their anvil and that being a tad larger than other primers they will stretch your pockets especially with FGMM brass making it difficult to use other primers afterwards.

I used PMC red exclusively when I used Lapua brass (back when it was 31.00 per 100) and my load was RE15 (43.4 gr) under a 175 SMK for 2685 MV.

PistolPete75
03-09-2008, 9:52 PM
Randy said it should be done late this week or early next week. I'll probably have it just in time for the match. I might have a day to get it dialed in, might not.

cool, looks like you and nayt will both have new custom rifles to shoot at the match. :0)

rksimple
03-09-2008, 9:52 PM
The PMC red are fantastic the greens have about a 10% fail ratio. I have found though that they must be seated hard against their anvil and that being a tad larger than other primers they will stretch your pockets especially with FGMM brass making it difficult to use other primers afterwards.

I used PMC red exclusively when I used Lapua brass (back when it was 31.00 per 100) and my load was RE15 (43.4 gr) under a 175 SMK for 2685 MV.

I may use them with military brass then. We'll see.

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 9:53 PM
cool, looks like you and nayt will both have new custom rifles to shoot at the match. :0)

Oh Lord

rksimple
03-09-2008, 9:54 PM

Have you shot it yet, Nayt? What about finishing it? What did you do?

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 9:55 PM
I may use them with military brass then. We'll see.

If you've got LCLR or LC Match try them with between 42.5 and 43.0 of RE15 under either a 168 or 175 SMK.

rksimple
03-09-2008, 9:58 PM
If you've got LCLR or LC Match try them with between 42.5 and 43.0 of RE15 under either a 168 or 175 SMK.

Will do. Just have a lot of RA60 brass with the midway blem (Hornady amax) 168's. Might be a good short load.

PistolPete75
03-09-2008, 9:58 PM
Have you shot it yet, Nayt? What about finishing it? What did you do?

we don't have the skin to shoot it yet. hopefully next week we can put a few rounds down the barrel.

action and barrel will not be finished by us. i believe nayt will finish the action and barrel himself. i saw the camo job on his skin and it's looking good.

(nayt was in our presence when the work was being done on his rifle, and there was no money exchange of any kind done)

within a few weeks, we should have about 40-100 tactical bolt mods made. it will be a badger ordnance-like bolt mod. probably be around $75 installed or $25 per unit. this will be Joe's first cnc programming. i'll post a picture of it when it's finished. next project might be a 1913 rail or a custom remington 700 style action or even better yet a custom short action with a built in 20moa base on it (actions will not be for sale and will be made for personal use only).

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure what the case capacity of those are compared to either LCLR or LC Match. I'd start around 42 and go up from there.

rksimple
03-09-2008, 10:05 PM
On a related "stocking up" note, who has Win 308 brass in stock? I have a few hundred lapua I got way back when, but I don't want that to be my standard match brass. It'd suck losing it in a match. I have 250 new primed winny 308 cases, but I have a feeling I'm going to go through that fast.

Prc329
03-09-2008, 10:17 PM
The stock skins are being done by drawn (hello kitty ar painter) and I have the duracoat sitting in my garage waiting to paint the action. I will probably do that after the match since I will get it dialed in as much as I can probably this sunday.

Pete, I may be in the market in a couple of weeks for a bolt knob on a new build I am planning.

Back on the subject I was planning on using 210ms or Remington 9.5s but was having difficulty finding any when I started reloading 308. I went with BR2s and just stuck with them.

PistolPete75
03-09-2008, 10:26 PM
The stock skins are being done by drawn (hello kitty ar painter) and I have the duracoat sitting in my garage waiting to paint the action. I will probably do that after the match since I will get it dialed in as much as I can probably this sunday.

Pete, I may be in the market in a couple of weeks for a bolt knob on a new build I am planning.

Back on the subject I was planning on using 210ms or Remington 9.5s but was having difficulty finding any when I started reloading 308. I went with BR2s and just stuck with them.

cool, you can buy the tact bolt mod from us, and have Randall install it for you.

Thank you for trusting me with your rifle. It will be a Tack Driver for sure.

rksimple
03-09-2008, 10:27 PM

I've found this to be true. The supply of BR2's has been more consistent. May be due to the price. More people buy out the 210m's leaving the higher priced BR2's in stock. Just a thought. As it is, when I was having such good results with the WLR's (es of 15 or less), I saw no reason to get match primers period.

PistolPete75
03-09-2008, 10:30 PM
if it ain't broken don't fix it.

i don't think you will have anything to worry about. your a good shooter and you'll have an awesome stick to shoot with. just make some loads and let's go shooting!

Prc329
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I was thinking of just sending you the bolt body to do everything. BTW check your PMs.

rksimple
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
if it ain't broken don't fix it.

i don't think you will have anything to worry about. your a good shooter and you'll have an awesome stick to shoot with. just make some loads and let's go shooting!

Problem is...it is broken! My es is up around 30 right now with the WLR's I'm using. I have to change something.

I can't wait to get the rifle. I should be going out to the "spot" most every weekend. We need to get training for the "war of northern agression":D

rksimple
03-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I forgot to ask you Pete-did you ever pull that dud apart that you had to see what caused it? I remember that was a BR2 primer.

PistolPete75
03-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I forgot to ask you Pete-did you ever pull that dud apart that you had to see what caused it? I remember that was a BR2 primer.

i didn't pull it, but i did figure what went wrong.

there was a little piece of corn stuck in the flash hole which didn't properly ignite the powder causing the failure.

i know check each flash hole before primming, and double check with a flashlight after it's been primed to check for any corn media. no more duds.

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 10:57 PM
"war of northern agression":D

I love that (can I help it if I'm a transplant from S.C.) . . . we'll teach them "blue bellys" a thing or two . . .

rksimple
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Thats good to hear Pete. Glad to know it probably wasn't the primer.

I can't wait to see how Nayts rifle shoots. I'm VERY interested!

Timberwolf
03-09-2008, 10:59 PM
there was a little piece of corn stuck in the flash hole which didn't properly ignite the powder causing the failure.

:nono:

PistolPete75
03-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Alot of set up time was taken on his barrel. Tolerances was held to .0005inches. I take no credit in the work. I merely bought some tooling that we needed. Joe on the otherhand is one hell of a machinist. He has a natural talent for these kinds of things.

PistolPete75
03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
:nono:

Yep, i know. I mass produce my reloads. Patience, lack of it always gets me.

Cypriss32
03-10-2008, 7:14 AM
Ive been using 210Ms for my RL15 and RL22 loads. Yesterday bill cronied some loads for me. 2900fps with 210gr VLDS, HIGH ES! Im gona have to buy a crony and work on it.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 9:51 AM
this is starting to sound like a benchrest forum. shoot a set of 50 rounds at 100yards, and 50 rounds at 500yardish. 1moa of less consitantly at 100yard, and 2moa or less at 500yards, your good to go.

keep powder charges consistant between .05+/- grains with any descent brand primer and it should be acceptable for tactical precision shooting.

winchester, regular cci, br2, 210, 210m, etc are all good to go.

by the way, the difference from 210 and 210m is quality control. they are the same primers made by federal. might be worth it to buy regular 210 primers. use a 100 piece sample, if it works good then buy more within the same lot.

Jicko
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I had good results with Fed210 and RL15.

I just switched to CCI200 to test, I haven't got statistical conclusion yet.

I am waiting on some Fed210M since 210 seems good w/ RL15 for me.

But 210Ms are ultra hard to find.

rksimple
03-10-2008, 10:24 AM
this is starting to sound like a benchrest forum. shoot a set of 50 rounds at 100yards, and 50 rounds at 500yardish. 1moa of less consitantly at 100yard, and 2moa or less at 500yards, your good to go.

keep powder charges consistant between .05+/- grains with any descent brand primer and it should be acceptable for tactical precision shooting.

winchester, regular cci, br2, 210, 210m, etc are all good to go.

by the way, the difference from 210 and 210m is quality control. they are the same primers made by federal. might be worth it to buy regular 210 primers. use a 100 piece sample, if it works good then buy more within the same lot.

I hear ya Pete, but move the target out to 7 or 800, and you soon see why the high ES I've been getting is not acceptable. Its not just a matter of picking any primer and keeping your powder charge consistent, but developing a load by observing these problems and adjusting things to fix them. Back when 210M's couldn't be found, many were switching over to the 210's and having good results. Their es's went up a little, but not bad. Thats why I was wondering about the CCI 200's. They may work out OK for what I want.

I still have to try the WLR's in Winny brass with RL15. That will tell me if I need to switch or not.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
i always used cci br2 for 30cal shooting, and i had good groupings tested at 700yards. i worry more about wind, then my es/sd. i've used imr 4064, 4895, and rl15. i have varget, but it's not been tested yet and i'm really happy with rl15 right now.

Prc329
03-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Call me ignorant cause I am still fairly new to reloading. What is ES/SD. I understand the concept from what I am reading but what exactly does the term stand for.

I usually just use my chrony to verify velocity to help my range card and figure the accuracy by what I see on the target. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot paper at longer ranges yet.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Extreme Velocity Spreads. variance in your velocity within a sample group of ammunition shot. a 40fps variance at 800yards will make a difference on your poi. most people like to stay within 30fps and 15fps is expectional.

Prc329
03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
That's what I figured but never new the exact meaning of the term.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 10:55 AM
you have nothing to worry about. you always use the good stuff.

rksimple
03-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Play with the numbers on JBM, varying the muzzle velocity. Whatever you want to deem acceptable is up to you, but I want 20 or less. If you don't plan on shooting to 900 or 1000, you can get away with a bigger spread.

wildcard
03-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Too much thinking, but more importantly: time spent..

I bought some IMR 4064.. CCI BR2 Primers.. and SMKs when I first started reloading.

Been using it since with good results! Ok.. I have changed my formulation by .1 grain.. but in the end, whatever works.

Y'all got some real patience to do all this testing!

rksimple
03-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Too much thinking, but more importantly: time spent..

I bought some IMR 4064.. CCI BR2 Primers.. and SMKs when I first started reloading.

Been using it since with good results! Ok.. I have changed my formulation by .1 grain.. but in the end, whatever works.

Y'all got some real patience to do all this testing!

Sometimes I wish I had done the same and just forgot about it. But, we always want something better, right? I'm not going to waste much time on load development. I'll stick with RL15 and scenars, and whatever primer gives me an ES under 20 and under .75 MOA. Once I find it, I'm done.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 11:34 AM
share your load development with me. i'm interested in those scenar loads you will be doing. i'm down to my last 400 nosler 168s, and i'm too cash flow poor to buy more. but, i still have the 155 scenars that i haven't used it.

rksimple
03-10-2008, 11:43 AM
share your load development with me. i'm interested in those scenar loads you will be doing.

Sure thing. We'll have the same chamber and pretty close to the same barrel length. You have RL15 right? I've got 15 lbs now and will see how it goes. I think 2200 rounds or so using the rl15 will give me an accurate impression of what I should expect for accuracy as well as temperature stability.

wildcard
03-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Did we all just go poor at the same time or has the price of shooting just increased faster than our pay rate?

But now that I think about maybe the custom builds just set us back enough to have to take it easy at least for a few months.

Or maybe it's all the above!

rksimple
03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Did we all just go poor at the same time or has the price of shooting just increased faster than our pay rate?

But now that I think about maybe the custom builds just set us back enough to have to take it easy at least for a few months.

Or maybe it's all the above!

For me, my wife's clamping down a little on the expenditures because there are certain "upgrades" she wants on the house. More cabinets, new washer/dryer, the list goes on. I still have some money in my paypal account she has forgotten about, so I have a few hundred left to spend. I hope she doesn't remember though.

Prc329
03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Funny, my wife just hit me up for a new couch and washer. Good thing I have a couple of checks coming she doesn't know about.

Also there is that pesky saving for a house thing. Good thing houses in ther area I am looking to buy are so low right now and looking to stay there for a while.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Funny, my wife just hit me up for a new couch and washer. Good thing I have a couple of checks coming she doesn't know about.

Also there is that pesky saving for a house thing. Good thing houses in ther area I am looking to buy are so low right now and looking to stay there for a while.

winter time is always the best time to buy. sellers are more deperate at this time.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 1:04 PM
by the way inflation is going through the roof. we are loosing our purchasing power. if your simply holding on to your money, your losing money. i would throw your into something like a money market.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 1:11 PM
For me, my wife's clamping down a little on the expenditures because there are certain "upgrades" she wants on the house. More cabinets, new washer/dryer, the list goes on. I still have some money in my paypal account she has forgotten about, so I have a few hundred left to spend. I hope she doesn't remember though.

when getting cabintry, spring for full plywood boxes in the kitchen and bathrooms, and get the mdf grade in closets, laundry room, garage.
you won't regret it since you plan to stay in your house for like 50years plus.
maple is a nice wood that is easily stainned to look like cherry cabinets. one easy way of spending less money for the real high end look.

real hardwood flooring and carpet is very anti-kids. i suggest a nice laminate/pergo style flooring. inexpensive and it looks really nice. jason has a real nice looking flooring at his house. it looked very real to brazilian cherry hardwood flooring. bamboo is also a very nice alternative material. very durable and scratch resistant. if you end up buying real hardwood flooring, i can garanty you it'll be all sratched up within a year.

i saw some real cool slate flooring with light blues and yellows. looked really cool. very different from the typical travertine. also carefully inspect any stone tiles before they install it. once they lay it, that's it. no turning back.

rksimple
03-10-2008, 1:20 PM
when getting cabintry, spring for full plywood boxes in the kitchen and bathrooms, and get the mdf grade in closets, laundry room, garage.
you won't regret it since you plan to stay in your house for like 50years plus.
maple is a nice wood that is easily stainned to look like cherry cabinets. one easy way of spending less money for the real high end look.

I think we're going all oak with a darker stain. Thats the contractor's base cabinets. Not doing any right off the bat in the garage. I want to wait and see how I'm going to lay out my reloading stuff first.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 1:26 PM
I think we're going all oak with a darker stain. Thats the contractor's base cabinets. Not doing any right off the bat in the garage. I want to wait and see how I'm going to lay out my reloading stuff first.

oak is nice. very strong and durable. but it's also very common. for a custom home, getting maple cabintry will make a huge difference. good thing about maple is that there are many stains for it, you can go light or dark and it looks very nice and it's only a little bit extra than the oak. trust me spring for the upgrade on cabintry. i always regret not upgrading mine. once it's in, it's too expensive to redo. just do it now, and you'll be good forever. all you might need to do is a simple refinish in like 30 years.

also remember, the kitchen is the most important room in the house. everyone gathers around it. in addition, in terms of real estate that is where you are supposed to put your money into to maximize your return on investment.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 1:35 PM
there alot of discount appliance stores that you can buy slightly dinged, scratched, or opened items for a huge discount. only problem might be matching all the appliances for a uniform brand name. spend more money on the cabinets, and a little less on the appliances. stainless is really nice, but all black works well with darker stains.

Frigidaire is a well designed appliance at a fair price. The stainless models are very reasonably priced, and gives you the high end look.

i've done alot of remodels on homes. on the next real estate cycle, i will be developing and flipping homes.

wildcard
03-10-2008, 1:55 PM
Haha. Does anyone NOT hide money from their significant other?

I actually don't.. but then again, I ain't married.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 1:58 PM
in my case, i give her almost all of my money. she is a much better saver than i am. i tend to like buying large ticket items and blow my money. she taught me how to save money, and i look for creative ways to reinvest it.

Prc329
03-10-2008, 2:02 PM
in my case, i give her almost all of my money. she is a much better saver than i am. i tend to like buying large ticket items and blow my money. she taught me how to save money, and i look for creative ways to reinvest it.

I knew there was a reason we get along so well.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 2:13 PM
I knew there was a reason we get along so well.

hehee. it's because your a straight shooter and a nice guy.

Prc329
03-10-2008, 2:22 PM
I think its our love of expensive stuff :D

Prc329
03-10-2008, 4:04 PM
Sheeeeesh. Don't tell anyone. My check came today :D 300 Win mag here I come.

This build will be a "budget" build. Since it will not be a competition gun I don't think I will put an AICS on it.

Jicko
03-10-2008, 4:39 PM
Call me ignorant cause I am still fairly new to reloading. What is ES/SD. I understand the concept from what I am reading but what exactly does the term stand for.

ES: extreme spread

SD: standard deviation, square root of variance

Statistic 101
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

Basically the idea is to make the most consistent round that shoot almost the same velocity. Therefore, you can accurately predict the POI (wrt bullet drops, and wind deflection etc)

Jicko
03-10-2008, 4:40 PM

I gave her all my money too, but she let me buy whatever I wanted, and just to make sure all the bills are paid promptly and completely...... so..... its very much.. fine....

Cypriss32
03-10-2008, 4:49 PM
Powder Valley has 210M primers in stock! Pete, Ryan or Bill if you order some, order me 5k. I live around you guys so......

Jicko
03-10-2008, 4:56 PM
Powder Valley has 210M primers in stock! Pete, Ryan or Bill if you order some, order me 5k. I live around you guys so......

#%!##$@# My order was just completed.... without knowing that 210M are in stock!!!!

EDIT: where where? Did u call up and TALK to them? it is STILL showing out of stock online...

rksimple
03-10-2008, 5:01 PM

Is it time for the buy? I could go for 5k. Bill, Pete, Jason...?

wildcard
03-10-2008, 5:09 PM
Is it time for the buy? I could go for 5k. Bill, Pete, Jason...?

I'm ready to buy when y'all are!

rksimple
03-10-2008, 5:23 PM
OK. Lets get one worked up for tomorrow, provided they have the primers. I'll bet they're gone in a day.

Cypriss32
03-10-2008, 5:29 PM
I need some 210m's thats it right now.

rksimple
03-10-2008, 7:03 PM
I may get 10k 210ms and some more rl15. Gotta go inventory...

Timberwolf
03-10-2008, 9:37 PM
Just getting on, looks like I missed alot today. Been at Kaiser all day . . . found out the wife needs surgery will be going in within the next month or so and then will be out of work for about 6 - 8 wks. Looks like I'll be working as many weekends as I can to make up for the difference between her disability and regular income so $$ will be tight for a couple of months.

I think I'm pretty set on primers but I know I'll need at least 5lbs of RE15. Will go down and check tonight and see.

thmpr
03-10-2008, 9:53 PM
Been strictly using CCI #34 and #41 with great results.

PistolPete75
03-10-2008, 10:26 PM
i have just enough components to last me till end of summer. cash flow is tight right now, every penny my wife and i are making is going toward bills and property taxes. i have to make do with what i got. it's a no go for me. if i don't keep up this pace, i got to dip into savings and i don't want to do that.

ar15barrels
03-11-2008, 1:12 AM
Basically the idea is to make the most consistent round that shoot almost the same velocity. Therefore, you can accurately predict the POI (wrt bullet drops, and wind deflection etc)

I just ran a couple quick comparisons in Quicktarget.
A 40fps change in velocity is good for about 10" POI change at 1000yds.
So, if you are shooting at 1000yds and your ammo is all within 40FPS and your ammo/gun was otherwise absolutely perfect and capable of one hole groups at all ranges and there was no wind, you could expect groups to be 10" tall and the width of the bullet.

I have talked about the value of shooting groups over the chronograph and recording individual shot placements and velocities.
If you do this enough, you can actually correlate higher velocity shots as being the top holes in your group and the slower ones being at the bottom of the group.
Loads with lower ES/SD will usually (there are always exceptions to every rule) be more accurate.
This is why we want lower ES/SD.

If you find one of those guns that shoots one hole groups at all ranges, I want one.