PDA

View Full Version : non-matching scabbard?

GeeDog
03-02-2014, 1:49 AM
Many years ago I bought a Wilkinson Sword Company (WSC) 1907 WWII bayonet stamped 5-'44 that seems to be in fairly nice condition. It came with a black leather scabbard with a tear-drop shaped frog stud and marked RE right beneath the stud. My research seems to indicate a WWII scabbard should have a round frog stud. Do you think the bayonet and scabbard are mismatched? Apologies in advance for the lousy cell phone pictures. Thanks!

marysdad
03-02-2014, 9:11 PM
Really nice example. The round frog stud was allowed beginning in 1915, however, manufacturers were allowed to produce either the teardrop or round stud. Not all makers changed over. There really isn't a "correct" type, as scabbards were stored separately from bayonets, IIRC, so were mated up in the order they came out of the crate.

GeeDog
03-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for that information. It's a funky bayonet, but I really love it because it's like a short sword and obviously well made. The scabbard came with it when I got it, and while I know it has no significant monetary value, I'm happy to know the bayonet and the scabbard could belong together. I love the story behind everything.