PDA

View Full Version : muzzle brake design I'm playing with

kcstott
03-01-2014, 12:58 PM
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/RonsMuzzelbrake5_zpsc78e9766.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/RonsMuzzelbrake5_zpsc78e9766.jpg.html)
This will be for a Rem 700 in .300 Winmag

Going to make a first article this weekend

Done here it is
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/9A2CA32F-86D7-4718-B79F-2D5F36A69B6A_zpseo5f3v3y.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/9A2CA32F-86D7-4718-B79F-2D5F36A69B6A_zpseo5f3v3y.jpg.html)
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/6A90B2D8-6C1F-44FD-8DD8-54E5A95B410E_zpszborxvs0.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/6A90B2D8-6C1F-44FD-8DD8-54E5A95B410E_zpszborxvs0.jpg.html)
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/8D2CB068-FF0E-4BA8-A0CF-
38CA4723E31B_zps0pz7oyq7.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/8D2CB068-FF0E-4BA8-A0CF-38CA4723E31B_zps0pz7oyq7.jpg.html)

Ok two new designes
.750" -.950" Diameter taper, 2.75" long scaled for an AR15

This one just has traditional vertical slots
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/RonsMuzzelbrakeARversion2_zpsf4856285.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/RonsMuzzelbrakeARversion2_zpsf4856285.jpg.html)

And this one is a scaled down version of the original design.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/RonsMuzzelbrakeARversion_zps9ae36420.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/RonsMuzzelbrakeARversion_zps9ae36420.jpg.html)

lt05deluxe
03-01-2014, 1:36 PM
Nice! You using inventor?

CSACANNONEER
03-01-2014, 1:37 PM
I like it. If it works well, I'd be interested in one for my 700 in .308.

kcstott
03-01-2014, 1:51 PM
Nice! You using inventor?

what is that?? never mind looked it up. Nope that's Alibre CAD.

CSA it'll work that i'm confident of. just will it look good. Because 99% of this stuff is looks not function. KDF brakes work better then anyones but they look generic
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/Muzzelbrake2_zpsc8537cb8.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/Muzzelbrake2_zpsc8537cb8.jpg.html)

No ribs

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/Muzzelbrake4_zpsa8084ccd.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/Muzzelbrake4_zpsa8084ccd.jpg.html)

All ribs

Over all dimensions are 5" long 1.125 diameter tapering down to .950" for a bull barrel 5/8"-24 threaded. reamed .350

M1NM
03-01-2014, 2:23 PM
Partial ribs looks best IMHO

kcstott
03-01-2014, 3:21 PM
Partial ribs looks best IMHO

Yeah I was feeling that way too.

CSACANNONEER
03-01-2014, 3:35 PM
Yea, partial ribs or plain look the best to me. I am shopping for one and do like the looks of yours. So, if you want to sell one, I'd be interested in trying it out. I do know that different brakes do affect the precision of a firearm too. So, I do want something that won't make a sub moa shooter into a 4moa shooter or, even a 1.5 moa shooter.

kcstott
03-01-2014, 3:51 PM
Yea, partial ribs or plain look the best to me. I am shopping for one and do like the looks of yours. So, if you want to sell one, I'd be interested in trying it out. I do know that different brakes do affect the precision of a firearm too. So, I do want something that won't make a sub moa shooter into a 4moa shooter or, even a 1.5 moa shooter.

Accuracy wise I have no clue as i have no idea what would make it less accurate.

XDshooter
03-01-2014, 3:52 PM
Curious what your plans are for making the pie cut vents.

Looks heavy and there is not enough area in the vents to an effective brake.

CSACANNONEER
03-01-2014, 3:54 PM
Accuracy wise I have no clue as i have no idea what would make it less accurate.

The way the venting gases influence the bullet? I really don't know either but, I do know some highly respected extreme long range shooters who have gone through dozens of custom made brakes for 50BMGs trying to get the most out of their rifles.

kcstott
03-01-2014, 8:34 PM
Curious what your plans are for making the pie cut vents.

Looks heavy and there is not enough area in the vents to an effective brake.

Milling machine and some expensive tools:D I haven't figured out how to draw a rotational cut with a radiused internal edge. So those slots you see will have a .093 radius top and bottom. I'd need an EDM to cut them square as pictured. It is going to be heavy thats for sure. My cad software says 3.3752 cubic inches so nearly one pound. This was a design my uncle came up with and it's not meant for a door kicker.

Oldmandan
03-01-2014, 8:57 PM
How about flutes lengthwise?

XDshooter
03-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Milling machine and some expensive tools:D I haven't figured out how to draw a rotational cut with a radiused internal edge. So those slots you see will have a .093 radius top and bottom. I'd need an EDM to cut them square as pictured. It is going to be heavy thats for sure. My cad software says 3.3752 cubic inches so nearly one pound. This was a design my uncle came up with and it's not meant for a door kicker.

The weight alone will reduce the felt recoil.

I'd just drill a hole in the center and then plunge an end mill down at an angle to make the vents.

What are you using for CAM?

Does Alibre not have a radius feature? Lofted cut? There are a couple others ways to make the feature other than a rotational cut.

kcstott
03-02-2014, 6:12 AM
The weight alone will reduce the felt recoil.

I'd just drill a hole in the center and then plunge an end mill down at an angle to make the vents.

What are you using for CAM?

Does Alibre not have a radius feature? Lofted cut? There are a couple others ways to make the feature other than a rotational cut.

It does I just need to figure out how to do it. I did us the lofting feature to get the taper from 950" to 1.125"
It's probably one of those instances where the order of features needs to be changed to do what I want it to do. I'm sure it can be done I just don't get the chance to play with the software as much as i'd like.

Not really concerned about weight it's going on a 15 pound rifle so weight is kind of a moot point

The design is based on the the FN tac rifle that was written up in some gun rag. My uncle in Ohio wants a copy of the brake for his rem 700 so there won't be any lateral fluting sorry

USPSA GM
03-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Just out of curiosity could you break down the design features that will make this work and are we talking about reducing recoil or muzzle flip? Or both?

I have had the chance to work with some of the top pistol and rifle smiths over the last 20 years and have gone thru probably close to 20 different comp designs of the years and I am still looking for something better. Always willing to learn something new.

kcstott
03-02-2014, 1:18 PM
Just out of curiosity could you break down the design features that will make this work and are we talking about reducing recoil or muzzle flip? Or both?

I have had the chance to work with some of the top pistol and rifle smiths over the last 20 years and have gone thru probably close to 20 different comp designs of the years and I am still looking for something better. Always willing to learn something new.

Umm...... it has slots in it:43:...... No seriously thats about all the design criteria i put in to this. I have no way to simulate the venting action, Nor do i have access to high speed video to capture a real world test. This was R&D'ed from an FN design (Rip off and Duplicate) I think people over think this stuff. Vent off the gasses, make the gasses act on a face of the brake that pushes on the brake reducing recoil. Reduced recoil equals reduced muzzle flip on a rifle, pistols need vertical venting to reduce muzzle flip as recoil reduction is not the major factor.

if it wasn't to damn close to a suppressor you could just mount a large diameter tube to the end of the barrel, cap off the end of it and ream for minimal bullet clearance. The inside of the tube cap will act like a hydraulic piston when stuck by the gasses pulling the tube and barrel it's attached to forward reducing recoil.

Keep in mind this thing is more for looks then anything else. I don't really care how well it preforms compared to other brakes and since I'm not in the market to waste ammo testing it is what it is.

Or maybe thats just to damned honest.

The new KR001 Ultra precision muzzle brake with 150% increase phase reluctance 106.7% Projectile clearance .600 cubic inches of recoil reducing vents strategically placed for maximum reduction in perceived recoil. The use of inverse reactive unilateral phase detractors adds dramatically to the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive diractance being successfully used in the reduction of Coriolis effect in the operation of novertrunnions. Moreover, whenever a forescent skor motion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration.

Dingle arms sold separately :D:D

rLDgQg6bq7o

madjack956
03-02-2014, 1:44 PM
I played with some designs some years back for my TIKKA Tactical in .308.

I ended up copying the brake that comes on the Springfield Armory M1A California version.

Turned a prototype out of aluminum first and took it up to Burro Canyon to test. I made a loud announcement to the benches on each side of me of what I was up to when I was ready to go hot .

It definitely worked. You could feel the difference. It did change the POI about .400 high right. But the grouping was as consistent as the grouping without it.

All in all it was a lot of fun. Your model looks great KC.. Good Luck!

kcstott
03-02-2014, 5:09 PM
I played with some designs some years back for my TIKKA Tactical in .308.

I ended up copying the brake that comes on the Springfield Armory M1A California version.

Turned a prototype out of aluminum first and took it up to Burro Canyon to test. I made a loud announcement to the benches on each side of me of what I was up to when I was ready to go hot .

It definitely worked. You could feel the difference. It did change the POI about .400 high right. But the grouping was as consistent as the grouping without it.

All in all it was a lot of fun. Your model looks great KC.. Good Luck!

I could see that one being loud as he!!

Heres what I got done yesterday.
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/A5038AFB-1936-4F50-AE82-3510ED84A1E2_zps7ruxfyxz.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/A5038AFB-1936-4F50-AE82-3510ED84A1E2_zps7ruxfyxz.jpg.html)

RDStott
03-03-2014, 4:58 AM
Here is My Remington 700 Sendero 300 win mag. That My Nephew KCstott is making that muzzle brake for. My rifle It is backweighted with floating lead, Has a Timney trigger installed. I have recently purchased a Leopold 8.5X25X50 LRT with TMR reticle that will be replacing the Nikon scope that is installed on it now, also it will soon be bedded. and then the final piece. That muzzle brake will be added. The muzzle brake will come in quite handy later this year .
LOL It is good to have a Machinist/Gunsmith in the family 307725

Twystd1
03-03-2014, 7:50 PM
Holy Crappola.

KC... This is for your uncle? :facepalm:

Hell. Charge him double. Cuz family members will love you anyway. :D

(Nice gun RD)

-T

kcstott
03-03-2014, 9:59 PM
I've got some family that couldn't get me to piss on them if they were on fire. The crew from Ohio is not in that bunch.

1lowluv
03-04-2014, 3:43 AM
looking good.

RDStott
03-04-2014, 3:44 AM
KC I live in Virginia remember. Like you I only visit OHIO.

kcstott
03-04-2014, 10:33 AM
KC I live in Virginia remember. Like you I only visit OHIO.

yes But I did say FROM Ohio. :D and no matter where you move that little entry on your permanent record will never go away :43:

CRTguns
03-04-2014, 10:07 PM
ideally, the threads and bore should be cut in the same setup.

And the hole at 12 o'clock... will most likely cause the muzzle to dive.
When I was tinkering with brakes... I cut out a bunch of threaded and bored "blanks" to the experiment on with port size and pattern.

http://www.newlonprecision.com/ <-----------blanks. Cheap!

btw... this can become a sickness...I had to seek professional counseling to quit making muzzle brakes until the wee hours.;)

meaty-btz
03-05-2014, 8:54 AM

To lighten it you only need to drill holes where they won't intersect your vents longitudinally, from the front to the back of the brake. Structural strength really isn't an issue here as some brakes are paper thin in places.

On the plus side it will look "cooler".

SandDiegoDuner
03-05-2014, 1:36 PM
Hook the brake up to a garden hose for a crude test of the venting ability... Wear your beach clothes...

kcstott
03-05-2014, 6:35 PM
CRT
Thanks for the info it will come in handy down the road with version 2.3.4.5.6......

Duner Thats was the plan but just looking at it i can see how it will flow just don't know about the first port

SmokeWagon
03-05-2014, 7:00 PM
Why the keyway in the CAD renderings?

kcstott
03-05-2014, 8:43 PM
Why the keyway in the CAD renderings?

If you mean the rear port, that's what it is, the first port that vents

CRTguns
03-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Hook the brake up to a garden hose for a crude test of the venting ability... Wear your beach clothes...

better way... fill your shop air gun with water... then blast the water through the brake at high speed... you might need help to do this, so you can stand back and see the spray. It will either flow or foul.

SmokeWagon
03-06-2014, 7:24 AM
If you mean the rear port, that's what it is, the first port that vents

Wow, you are putting a single high port that far back of the main ports. I don't believe I've seen that type of brake design. I would expect the gases to exit there like am erupting volcano forcing the muzzle down. Would be interesting to see how that works.

Switchbarrel
03-06-2014, 9:07 AM
Here is My Remington 700 Sendero 300 win mag. The muzzle brake will come in quite handy later this year .
LOL It is good to have a Machinist/Gunsmith in the family

Just random thoughts/information, nothing more...

At 5" long, that barrel is going to be REALLY long with brake installed. Gonna need a long case since you won't want to be taking the brake off a lot - doing so could eventually change the brakes "timing" to the barrel. The weight of SS way out there will also act like a non-adjustable tuner, you may need to adjust your load (if you're lucky, just your windage/elevation)

Something to check for, with the additional weight way out there and if it's top ports only, check to make sure the barrel doesn't slap the stock with all that downward pressure when fired.

From the FWIW files:
an excerpt from Roy Bertalotto's "Adventures with Muzzle Brakes" on his website-

Holes on top only-
In my tests, not having holes all around the brake effects accuracy a bit.
I believe it does something to the bullet by the air pushed ahead of the
bullet creating unequal turbulence in the bullet path. Iíve tried a few
brakes where I drilled only holes on the top, test fired, and then
completed holes on the bottom and in every case, accuracy improved. Put
an old blanket down if you don;t want to kick up dust in the prone
position.

Expansion Chamber- A brake bored out to thread diameter
right up to the exit hole is much more effective than a brake where the
bore is exit hole for the full length, Having the bullet traverse this
large expansion area somehow improves accuracy and there is a marked
reduction of recoil.

Effectiveness- The higher the pressure of the
particular round, the more effective the brake. I have over 20 rifles
with brakes. The 220 Swift is the king of reduction. Followed very
closely by the 25-06, 6mmRemington, any Weatherby small bore. With a
proper brake and a hot handload under a 40 gr bullet, the Swift will
move 1/2″ to the rear and 0 muzzle rise! Big boomers with low pressure
like 45-70s and shot guns benefit the least. I have two identical
Remington 700s both with identical brakes. One in 308 and the other in
300 Win Mag. Both shooting 155 Sierra Palma bullets, the Win Mag about
300FPS faster, and the Win Mag has measurably less recoil! Must be the
pressure / amount of gas available.

Length- After 3″ there isnít enough gas left to do anything. The longer the brake, the harder it is to hold concentricity of bore exit hole. If the exit hole isnít +-.0005″, accuracy will suffer.

Good luck with your project,
-Rick

madjack956
03-06-2014, 9:23 AM
Just random thoughts/information, nothing more...

At 5" long, that barrel is going to be REALLY long with brake installed. Gonna need a long case since you won't want to be taking the brake off a lot - doing so could eventually change the brakes "timing" to the barrel. The weight of SS way out there will also act like a non-adjustable tuner, you may need to adjust your load (if you're lucky, just your windage/elevation)

Something to check for, with the additional weight way out there and if it's top ports only, check to make sure the barrel doesn't slap the stock with all that downward pressure when fired.

From the FWIW files:
an excerpt from Roy Bertalotto's "Adventures with Muzzle Brakes" on his website-

Holes on top only-
In my tests, not having holes all around the brake effects accuracy a bit.
I believe it does something to the bullet by the air pushed ahead of the
bullet creating unequal turbulence in the bullet path. Iíve tried a few
brakes where I drilled only holes on the top, test fired, and then
completed holes on the bottom and in every case, accuracy improved. Put
an old blanket down if you don;t want to kick up dust in the prone
position.

Expansion Chamber- A brake bored out to thread diameter
right up to the exit hole is much more effective than a brake where the
bore is exit hole for the full length, Having the bullet traverse this
large expansion area somehow improves accuracy and there is a marked
reduction of recoil.

Effectiveness- The higher the pressure of the
particular round, the more effective the brake. I have over 20 rifles
with brakes. The 220 Swift is the king of reduction. Followed very
closely by the 25-06, 6mmRemington, any Weatherby small bore. With a
proper brake and a hot handload under a 40 gr bullet, the Swift will
move 1/2″ to the rear and 0 muzzle rise! Big boomers with low pressure
like 45-70s and shot guns benefit the least. I have two identical
Remington 700s both with identical brakes. One in 308 and the other in
300 Win Mag. Both shooting 155 Sierra Palma bullets, the Win Mag about
300FPS faster, and the Win Mag has measurably less recoil! Must be the
pressure / amount of gas available.

Length- After 3″ there isnít enough gas left to do anything. The longer the brake, the harder it is to hold concentricity of bore exit hole. If the exit hole isnít +-.0005″, accuracy will suffer.

Good luck with your project,
-Rick

Well, now I know where one flaw is in mine. I wouldn't have the crust to machine a brake with only a half thou. difference unless I tied the gun to a tree to fire it first.

kcstott
03-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I think he means run out not over size of diameter.
And maybe that tight of concentricity is difficult for a gunsmith to hold but not me. I also believe that +/-.0005" is a wee bit ambitious. May eh on a bench rest gun but not a long range target rifle that is only expected to hold .75MOA

The problem I have with water testing is it not an accurate Depiction of flow as the pressure is dropping and the projectile is passing ports on the way through. The ports will not all vent at once as a water test would show. I think the only way to do it is to shoot it and see.
Now I'm not a fan of the first port. But that's what my uncle wants and he has some experience with this stuff so I'm going with it.

BTW it ain't stainless it's 4140 I'm going to cerokote it after the fact.

As far as it being long and creating a really long barrel. Well that was the point. Barrel length is going to be right at 30" when done. As stated before this is not designed to be tacticool in any way shap or form. It designed to do a job.
Over length, weight, etc don't matter in the long run.
And yes load will be taylored to the rifle. We will be setting up the reloading station and loading five to ten rounds at a time to verify accuracy. We'll then take the best load and use that.

tamalpias
03-06-2014, 4:27 PM
There was an article i read when i had a custom brake i designed for my 22-250 that stated that there is a sweet spot for bore diameter compared to bullet diameter. To big a bore and it won't be as effective but to small and it can happen the harmonics of the bullet path and affect accuracy.

wpage
03-06-2014, 4:47 PM
Have you considered simply porting the barrel?

CSACANNONEER
03-06-2014, 4:56 PM
Have you considered simply porting the barrel?

Boring and permanent.

kcstott
03-06-2014, 7:17 PM
Boring and permanent.

yep!!

and anyone that needs a friggin muzzle brake on a .220 swift or a .22-250 also needs a mercury recoil reducer for their .22LR what do we have Girl scouts shooting these things???

RDStott
03-07-2014, 3:46 AM
I was talking with my nephew kcstott lastnight about the muzzle brake and all the posts that evey one has posted. And all there concerns.

I will say is I know my Nephew kcstott. And I know my rilfe and me.

I could and am more than capable of doing all the mathmatical equations of the laws of physics involved, and factoring in all the eviormental conditions.
and it would make a great thesis. And bore you with alot of needless reading.

The muzzle brake he is building is for me. I already know mathmatically it will work. The only one major variable is the port on top that we are not sure of. that is why he is making two versions. one with one with out.

We have completed the mathmatics and ran the ballastics. Now we will be experimenting with a design theory of mine and his.

Bottom Line is I know MY Nephew kcstott.

He knows my Remington 700 Sendero II . But to Paraphase for those who dont

It's a Bolt-action, breech loader. Usual barrel length's twenty six inches. This one will have an extra four. It will shoot a special hand loaded high performance metal cartridge, with a 220grain SMK HP Boat Tail bullet. It's fitted with Floating lead back weight, A Timney Competition Match Trigger, and a Leopold Optical sight, It's marked up to 1300 yards. This rifle shoots a mite further.

kcstott
03-07-2014, 5:21 AM
And a Mite further we will shoot too.

RDStott
03-07-2014, 3:53 PM
That is for sure and for certain !!!!

BradleyAbrams
03-08-2014, 6:53 AM
Hiya RD, nice rifle.

Yer nephew KC built a muzzle Brake for my AMD65 a while back.

Upon finishing the Brake, KC proclaimed that it would very LOUD and likely spew forth Notorious Fireballs.

Well, he wasn't too far off the mark. Damned thing is LOUD and spits out flames which would make Godzilla proud...

The Can:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/Cars/91a9bc6f-c4be-4ff1-90d2-dc5f25b6c597_zps89693363.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/blndyhb/media/Cars/91a9bc6f-c4be-4ff1-90d2-dc5f25b6c597_zps89693363.jpg.html)

RDStott
03-08-2014, 5:45 PM
Hey there Bradley nice weapon you have there too. Yeah my nephew KC does awesome work :)

bernieb90
03-09-2014, 11:33 PM
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/Muzzelbrake5_zps49dc1e29.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/Muzzelbrake5_zps49dc1e29.jpg.html)

This will be for a Rem 700 in .300 Winmag

Going to make a first article this weekend

Have fun trying to machine the ports in that configuration without a sinker EDM.

IMHO the ports are too small, at the inside hole. You will have poor gas flow, and there will be sharp corners where the hole and ports intersect. Slots can be milled, and open the sides more for better flow.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/440x330/Primary/861/861836.jpg

BradleyAbrams
03-09-2014, 11:52 PM
And while speaking of Brakes, check out this Hi-Speed photo showing the gas Jet dispersion through the ports on a Brake.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/75bad09a-6ca8-40e5-8fec-00d63eb6f5e0_zps0d9993d9.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/blndyhb/media/75bad09a-6ca8-40e5-8fec-00d63eb6f5e0_zps0d9993d9.jpg.html)

-

kcstott
03-10-2014, 7:03 AM
Have fun trying to machine the ports in that configuration without a sinker EDM.

IMHO the ports are too small, at the inside hole. You will have poor gas flow, and there will be sharp corners where the hole and ports intersect. Slots can be milled, and open the sides more for better flow.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/440x330/Primary/861/861836.jpg

That just goes to show what you get when you only read the first post and post your own comment. Also you don't know how big the ports are as the are very few dimension listed. As for the edm yeah I can run one of those too. Did so for ten years in a mold shop. Now if you would have read a little further down you would see where I said I was having a hard time modeling the slot geo correctly. They will be milled, they will be .1875 wide and 72 degrees. But who says I don't have access to a Charmiles?? Or a custom broach?? Now 14 of these ports should be more then enough.

And in thinking about this again I now know how to draw it correctly and will post a more accurate picture tonight.

kcstott
03-10-2014, 10:13 AM
And while speaking of Brakes, check out this Hi-Speed photo showing the gas Jet dispersion through the ports on a Brake.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/75bad09a-6ca8-40e5-8fec-00d63eb6f5e0_zps0d9993d9.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/blndyhb/media/75bad09a-6ca8-40e5-8fec-00d63eb6f5e0_zps0d9993d9.jpg.html)

-

Cool pic and give me something to think about.

kcstott
03-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Fixed
here's the real version we are looking for
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/RonsMuzzelbrake5_zpsc78e9766.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/RonsMuzzelbrake5_zpsc78e9766.jpg.html)

valley82
03-10-2014, 1:04 PM
VERY NICE!!!

bernieb90
03-10-2014, 8:22 PM
Double post

bernieb90
03-10-2014, 8:22 PM
Fixed
here's the real version we are looking for

Sorry if I cam off rude. You are right I should have read the whole thing. I have to deal with drawings like this all day so I guess I just jumped the gun a bit. I keep getting drawings with a bunch of sharp corners and I have to call the engineer to explain it to them.

The new design looks good by the way. I wonder how the added mass will effect the barrel harmonics. If you are going to make your own maybe make it tunable like the Browning BOSS system.

kcstott
03-11-2014, 8:53 AM
I have to deal with engineers too. Did so for over twenty years. Now I design what I want to build and build it. My issue is I'm not an engineer and don't have the time to sit in front of a CAD program all day and truly learn it. For some dumb reason I was trying to put those radii cuts in there the hard way. When all I had to do was click on the corner and add a fillet of my desired radius. So fixed.
As for tuning we are going to tune the loads to the gun. But yeah you could make a adjustable sleeve to correct the groups.
And you didn't sound rude. You sounded like a machinist. Blunt. I'm the same way. And don't mind one bit.
BTW a bench top charmilles sinker is on the wish list. Maybe next years taxes.
Used ones are around $2500. With everyone going CNC these thing are worthless to most shops.

bernieb90
03-11-2014, 4:36 PM
I am glad you did not take it in a negative way. I actually have a Mechanical Engineering degree and help run our family machine shop so I have seen both sides of it. I have been toying with making muzzle brakes but just haven't had the time to do the requires R&D to make a commercially viable brake. I have CNC lathe and 4th axis on one of our Fadals so I may just make one for my AR.

pisarski
03-22-2014, 5:19 PM
I will take 2 dingle arms can you please ship to my home thanks. now what in the heck is a dingle arm

tujungatoes
03-22-2014, 5:53 PM
I have been toying with making muzzle brakes but just haven't had the time to do the requires R&D to make a commercially viable brake. I have CNC lathe and 4th axis on one of our Fadals so I may just make one for my AR.

Have you looked at whats on the market recently? If you wanna make a brake that's "commercially viable" just cut out something with no functional purpose, lots of sharp angles, serrations, and scary looking barbs on it(think satan's penis). Then slap the all important catch word on it. Something like "tactical", "black hawk", "delta", or "recon" should work well. Hell...Why not all four? The mall ninjas will beat a path to your door. :D

kcstott
03-23-2014, 6:41 PM
Have you looked at whats on the market recently? If you wanna make a brake that's "commercially viable" just cut out something with no functional purpose, lots of sharp angles, serrations, and scary looking barbs on it(think satan's penis). Then slap the all important catch word on it. Something like "tactical", "black hawk", "delta", or "recon" should work well. Hell...Why not all four? The mall ninjas will beat a path to your door. :D

Yep the new Delta Black hawk recon tactical Muzzle brake also available in non tactical delta black hawk recon version.

And thats the point. All this conjecture on how well the design will work with no regard to the current marketing of the taciticool stuff.

It's need Spikes like Rob halford arm bands.

Eagle Eyes
03-24-2014, 1:44 AM
Sorry if someone already mentioned this but I can not see it in the image but is there vent holes on the bottom of the muzzle brake?

If there is you might want to redesign it without any holes on the bottom because of the cartridge for that rifle. There will be a lot of pressure that will blow up and back any dust, dirt, pieces of wood etc. if you are close to the ground. All the top muzzles brakes for high powered rifle cartridges have no holes on the bottom of the muzzle brake just for that reason.

kcstott
03-26-2014, 8:27 AM
Sorry if someone already mentioned this but I can not see it in the image but is there vent holes on the bottom of the muzzle brake?

If there is you might want to redesign it without any holes on the bottom because of the cartridge for that rifle. There will be a lot of pressure that will blow up and back any dust, dirt, pieces of wood etc. if you are close to the ground. All the top muzzles brakes for high powered rifle cartridges have no holes on the bottom of the muzzle brake just for that reason.

Nope no holes in the bottom

kcstott
04-06-2014, 5:11 PM
I finished the brake today

RDStott
04-07-2014, 4:10 AM
Not is it only esthetically Gorgeous. But with the applied physics, And math and design changes we made together. It will also have the functional result of not only shaving the recoil of an extreme load for an extreme distance but will help with acceleration to get it there. LOL The math does not lie. Which is about 2.8 to 3.1 mach leaving the end of the muzzle and which can accelerate slightly more for a quick moment. Keeping it supersonic and stable depending on the load that we find works the best for accuracy and distance.

I know I will be laughing the first round I put down range when we put it to the live Test :)

AWESOME work KC :)

kcstott
04-08-2014, 8:11 AM
Ok two new designes
.750" -.950" Diameter taper, 2.75" long scaled for an AR15

This one just has traditional vertical slots
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/RonsMuzzelbrakeARversion2_zpsf4856285.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/RonsMuzzelbrakeARversion2_zpsf4856285.jpg.html)

And this one is a scaled down version of the original design.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/kcstott/RonsMuzzelbrakeARversion_zps9ae36420.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/kcstott/media/RonsMuzzelbrakeARversion_zps9ae36420.jpg.html)

RobertMW
04-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Hey, I've got an idea about brakes coming from an engineers head, one of the problems with bakes is getting your exit bore to be concentric to the barrel. Why haven't high precision target shooters, that want to use brakes, adopted a taper mounting instead of a traditional thread-on mounting? If you were to create your barrel and brake to mount using something like a #1 Morse taper, with a threaded locking ring to hold it down, you are now getting an extremely accurate mounting.

Obviously this would be a very custom system, but if somebody is building a $5k rifle anyway, why not?

kcstott
04-10-2014, 11:51 AM
The only advantage a tapper adds is a more rigid mount in relation to holding the two axis in alignment due to radial loading

Personally I've never run into a issue of concentricity errors. Now that may be the case with production guns but not on stuff I've machined.

When threading a barrel I indicate the bore and cut my threads off that. Then cutting a square shoulder on the threaded tennon to butt up against. I cut the brakes by drilling reaming and threading in one set up.
This insures the least amount of axial and concentric run out.

The issue I have seen is when someone uses a die to thread a barrel. To me that is an ametuer at work. All barrel threads should be cut on a lathe using the single point method.