PDA

View Full Version : Poll to Determine Group Name UPDATE ON POST #40

wildcard
03-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Instead of posting every possible variation, I figured we can later determine whether it should be an Association, Club, as is, etc.

But vote for one and and give me some input!

I'll let this Poll run till about 10PM tonight when everyone has had a chance to vote. I'll then put up one more poll to finalize the exact name.

Prc329
03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Where is the poll?

rksimple
03-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Will do. No poll yet.

PistolPete75
03-05-2008, 11:37 AM
i voted SoCal Tactical/ Practical (Rifle). Sounds the best to me.

wildcard
03-05-2008, 11:39 AM
You impatient bastards.. :)

I was doing it and got caught up with some work.

rksimple
03-05-2008, 2:45 PM
The way I look at it is this: What we do is precision. There are many, many other clubs and matches across the country that are advertised as "practical" or "tactical" rifle matches. But they involve AR's and larger targets out 400, maybe 500 yards. Anytime I see "practical rifle" courses or matches, they seem to involve ARs and AKs. Check here (http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24727) or here (http://www.practicalrifle.com/match_details.htm) or here (http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=8&f=14&t=297883). Of course, there are a few that are really precision rifle matches under practical circumstances, but I don't think they're in the majority.
I guess my only point is, "practical" or "tactical" can mean different things and many people have interpreted it as something we don't really do with precision rifles. Precision, I think, is a little more understood. Just MHO.

wildcard
03-05-2008, 2:57 PM
Agreed. To many people, tactical automatically conveys a SWAT type discipline which encompasses too much to accurately represent what we do.

Precision on the other hand conveys something more like bench rest or "x-ring" type shooting.

It is sort of why "Practical" is attached to "Tactical" though it still doesn't convey precision rifles.

Maybe "SoCal Tactical/ Practical Precision Rifle Slingers" should have been an option. Wow.. I actually really like that. Wish I could edit the poll and change my vote now!

Kestryll
03-05-2008, 3:08 PM
Do you want that added to the poll?

wildcard
03-05-2008, 3:09 PM
Do you want that added to the poll?

Sure. Couldn't hurt.

rksimple
03-05-2008, 3:47 PM
Agreed. To many people, tactical automatically conveys a SWAT type discipline which encompasses too much to accurately represent what we do.

Precision on the other hand conveys something more like bench rest or "x-ring" type shooting.

It is sort of why "Practical" is attached to "Tactical" though it still doesn't convey precision rifles.

Maybe "SoCal Tactical/ Practical Precision Rifle Slingers" should have been an option. Wow.. I actually really like that. Wish I could edit the poll and change my vote now!

I guess it'd be too cheesy to do as the norcal'ers and have a socal practical precision rifle club. It really does sum things up nicely.

AngelDecoys
03-05-2008, 3:59 PM
I know I'm not in your group but if you're going to rename it why not go with something altogether different, or maybe something that reflects calguns.

Calguns Precision Rifle Association

shrug, just a thought.

ETA: I'm not taking the poll as its your group and thus your choice. I wouldn't want to influence that by voting.

wildcard
03-05-2008, 4:10 PM
With the way the voting is going, I'm going to have to roll a die to decide which one to pick since no option is winning by a landslide. Maybe I'll link it over to "General Gun Discussions" and present our case to the general Cangunner public to see what they think. Not that they can't vote now.. but they can't vote if they don't see it! In fact, AngelDecoys should vote right now!

rksimple
03-05-2008, 10:09 PM
So whats the verdict?

wildcard
03-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Though there are 7 votes for "California Precision (Rifle)," there are also 5 votes for "SoCal Precision (Rifle)" and 4 votes for "SoCal Precision (Rifle) Shooting(ers)."

Another Way to look at it is that 9 votes favor "SoCal Precision Rifle." I voted for none of these mentioned so it's not a personal bias that I think we should maintain the "SoCal Precision Rifle" foundation for our name. I'll start one final poll where we will select how we should complete our group's name. Give me some suggestions. Here are some possibilities: (It can be anything EXCEPT "Club")

Association
Group
Slingers
Shooters
Posse

ar15barrels
03-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Though there are 7 votes for "California Precision (Rifle)," there are also 5 votes for "SoCal Precision (Rifle)" and 4 votes for "SoCal Precision (Rifle) Shooting(ers)."

Another Way to look at it is that 9 votes favor "SoCal Precision Rifle." I voted for none of these mentioned so it's not a personal bias that I think we should maintain the "SoCal Precision Rifle" foundation for our name. I'll start one final poll where we will select how we should complete our group's name. Give me some suggestions. Here are some possibilities: (It can be anything EXCEPT "Club")

SoCal Precision Rifle Shooters = SCPRS

What's wrong with "California Precision Rifle Club"?
There's no "S"...
CPRC reads nicer than any of the other acronyms.

rksimple
03-06-2008, 7:18 AM
SoCal Precision Rifle Shooters = SCPRS

What's wrong with "California Precision Rifle Club"?
There's no "S"...
CPRC reads nicer than any of the other acronyms.

SCPRS...not too bad. I like it best. If not that, then simply California Precision Rifle Club is good. Then have sub categories off of that.

Prc329
03-06-2008, 7:46 AM
I like the CPRC.

AngelDecoys
03-06-2008, 7:48 AM
If it were me, I'd stay away from anything that has SoCal specifically in it if you want it inclusive. For me, the term SoCal is a bit limiting for a group that seems to meet online in a 'statewide' forum.

CPRC - California Precision Rifle Club
CPRA - Calguns Precision Rifle Association (Or is that too close to CRPA?)

Heck with either CPRC, or CPRA, you might be able to talk Kestryl into modifying the existing logo, making medals, or a having him sponsor a meet ;)

Then you just have to swing non-profit status. Divisions broken into sub groups by area. That lends itself to competition inside the umbrella group name, or to combine if competing with other local/regional/or state groups.

SoCal Division
NorCal Division
Central Valley Division
Sierra Division
Coastal Division

I know I'd be more likely to join, if a division were started in the Central Valley. I imagine a SoCal group would be less of a draw to those of us who live elsewhere. Just a thought.

Don't know. Am I out in left-field for suggesting this?

rksimple
03-06-2008, 7:54 AM
Don't know. Am I out in left-field for suggesting this?

Not at all. In fact, you brought up some good points. The CPRC would be great and getting different divisions for regions would be perfect. Maybe we should post something in the riflemans forum to judge interest. The norcal guys already have their thing, but if they wanted, it could be under the same CPRC umbrella.

AngelDecoys
03-06-2008, 8:18 AM
Not at all. In fact, you brought up some good points. The CPRC would be great and getting different divisions for regions would be perfect. Maybe we should post something in the riflemans forum to judge interest. The norcal guys already have their thing, but if they wanted, it could be under the same CPRC umbrella.

An umbrella group could also benefit from grant writing with the Friends of the NRA. I tend to look at these things with getting FREE money, and funding. The umbrella group could get shooting mats, targets, spotting scopes and other equipment. Ammo is unlikley as it gets used up, but other things would be supported. The Friends of the NRA supports such endeveors, and in fact this falls in line with their main mission of promoting the shooting sports.

Even if it doesn't happen that way, I kind of wonder if any person has considered writing a grant with the FNRA. Really, someone should restart this thing in the rifleman's forum. I would bet there would be interest.

wildcard
03-06-2008, 8:57 AM
You guys bring up some good point. In light of this and given the landslide voting for "California Precision Rifle," this will be our umbrella group.

I wanted to touch on a couple more things but I have to make this email hasty and run off to a training.

Are we going to be a:
Shooters (CPRS)
Club (CPRC)
Shooting Club (CPRSC)
Association (CPRA)
Shooting Associaion (CPRSA)
Other Suggestions?

rksimple
03-06-2008, 9:19 AM
You guys bring up some good point. In light of this and given the landslide voting for "California Precision Rifle," this will be our umbrella group.

I wanted to touch on a couple more things but I have to make this email hasty and run off to a training.

Are we going to be a:
Club (CPRC)
Shooting Club (CPRSC)
Association (CPRA)
Shooting Associaion (CPRSA)
Other Suggestions?

I say club. CPRA is too close to CRPA. May be some confusion.

Prc329
03-06-2008, 9:25 AM
Club.

wildcard
03-06-2008, 9:27 AM
I say club. CPRA is too close to CRPA. May be some confusion.

Just added "Shooters." I remember a few people endorsed that one when you first brought it up.

ar15barrels
03-06-2008, 1:02 PM
simply California Precision Rifle Club is good. Then have sub categories off of that.

Southern Chapter baby! :)

ar15barrels
03-06-2008, 1:03 PM
CPRA - Calguns Precision Rifle Association (Or is that too close to CRPA?)

I think it's too close to CRPA.

PistolPete75
03-06-2008, 1:16 PM
clubs sounds good. association is too formal.

wildcard
03-06-2008, 1:25 PM
All this work and all we did was cross out a word from the original :) Looks like our name is officially:

California Precision Rifle Club

So.. what's our abbreviated/ website name?
CPRC - .org already taken and can be mistaken for a few other organizations http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/CPRC
CAPRC
CalPRC (My preference as a tribute to CalGuns)

PistolPete75
03-06-2008, 1:27 PM
CalPRC sounds good to me.

Prc329
03-06-2008, 1:38 PM
CalPRC is cool. I'll be the mascot :D

Kestryll
03-06-2008, 1:41 PM
CalPRC is avaiable for registration under all domain suffixes at this point.
You can be a .com, .net, .us, .org or whatever.

Kestryll
03-06-2008, 1:42 PM

So you're volunteering to wear the furry suit and dance around the sidelines of shooting events?
:toetap05: Hmmm.... :D :43:

wildcard
03-06-2008, 1:50 PM
I vote .org

AngelDecoys
03-06-2008, 1:51 PM

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/72/34/23113472.jpg

Found a costume for you.

Prc329
03-06-2008, 1:56 PM
So you're volunteering to wear the furry suit and dance around the sidelines of shooting events?
:toetap05: Hmmm.... :D :43:

If I can carry my M14 and shoot at the other teams mascot.

ar15barrels
03-06-2008, 2:24 PM
I vote .org

I say go .com because you don't even have to say it.
If you have a .org, you have to tell people calprc.org vs just telling someone to go to calprc on the web.
Anyone would know to add .com to it but .org still confuses people.
I have built a bunch of sites for people over the years and all the .org people always tell me they wish they had chosen a .com instead.

wildcard
03-06-2008, 2:30 PM
.org sounds good.. but .com is more practical. I'm too easily swayed.. I change my vote to .com!

Timberwolf
03-06-2008, 2:39 PM
.com is much easier

rksimple
03-06-2008, 2:46 PM
.com it is. I like it.

wildcard
03-06-2008, 2:56 PM
Looks like we have finally reached a verdict through the wonderful democratic process! We are now officially the:

www.CalPRC.com

Ok.. maybe not officially.. but almost!

AngelDecoys
03-06-2008, 3:18 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/california-state-flag.jpg

And a club is born.

:33:

RJHammy
03-06-2008, 3:24 PM
Do I get to vote? =)

I vote for secret option J:

SoCal SNPR

"Shooting Nothing but Precision Rifles"

(unless y'all are going for formality... but I always been a big fan of cheesy team names.)

PistolPete75
03-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Looks like we have finally reached a verdict through the wonderful democratic process! We are now officially the:

www.CalPRC.com

Ok.. maybe not officially.. but almost!

sweet. :)

finally, we are getting more organized.

Spaniard
03-10-2008, 4:08 PM
That's a great name to serve all of California Precision Riflemen; North & South and a great use of the California Flag, good job.;)

Spaniard

ar15barrels
03-10-2008, 4:27 PM
That's a great name to serve all of California Precision Riflemen; North & South and a great use of the California Flag

I just keep thinking that there would be some mildot crosshairs on the bear's shoulder...

So when are you updating http://socalprc.com with the 2008 match info?