PDA

View Full Version : stuck, broken case in 460 S&W

tackdriver
02-22-2014, 8:35 AM
The case head separated from the rest of the brass in the cylinder of my 460. I tried using a cleaning brush to pull it thru but it seems pretty stuck. I'd rather not buy a case extractor just for this. About to try using a jewelers saw to cut it out but don't want to damage the cylinder.
Anyone have any ideas on how to pull it out? Anyone have any success using Cerrosafe alloy with this?

Thx guys.

kcstott
02-22-2014, 9:11 AM
cerrosafe is the only way to do it with no damage but you must work quick as cerrosafe will expand if left too long then you will have to reheat and do it again. best thing is cerrosafe can be melted with a hairdryer

Bastard
02-22-2014, 9:49 PM
pictures... first thought would be a brass rod or a bullet pushed in from opposite... hell maybe ever a thick patch or two in front of a patch pusher, just something that. with out actually seeing it, I am just mereling typing some of the random things that pop in to my head - like I think I need another beer :cheers2:

stitchnicklas
02-22-2014, 10:54 PM
saw is a no-no x a million

rod,then brass punch,then gunsmith

ar15barrels
02-22-2014, 11:41 PM
A 12mm tap will likely grab what's left of the case.

tackdriver
02-23-2014, 1:30 PM
A tap? Hmm, never thought about that. I think that would operate jujst like s stuck case puller, no? I did try pushing out with a dowel but, its really pushed against the sides of the cylinder. (I was shooting 300g) Got it soaking in WD40.
Ya the jewelers saw was sort of off the top of my head, but IF I can keep everything level while sawing...... The next thing I'll try is the Cerrosafe. I got some on order. Although, knowing me, I'll end up screwing up the entire cylinder!! Heck, I shudda known nothing is simple. IF the Cerro doesn't work I'll be back and see if anyone has a "what's next" plan.
Thx guys!!