PDA

View Full Version : Polish AKM Build

Atticus818
02-20-2014, 9:08 PM
Alright, so I don't post much here, since everyone here seems to know significantly more than me on all topics firearms related I rarely have anything more to add. So I apologize if this is a bit poorly written.

I recently have purchased an Atlantic firearms Polish AKM47 kit with a new US chrome lined barrel. This will be my first attempt at building an AK, and frankly my first time building something quite so intimidating. However, I am mechanically incline and am confident it should be okay. With that being said I have a few questions:

1.) Is there a difference in build quality when using tools that require a press vs. the toth tools that would not require a press? Since it appears the prices are fairly comparable, less the need to purchase a press.

2.) Is there a specific order I should be putting this thing together from a legal standpoint? I do not have the receiver yet, and intend on getting a nodak spud receiver legally transferred and registered before attempting to build anything.

3.) I have read that build parties are dead, however, perhaps there is someone in my area willing (I am in Simi Valley, but willing to travel) to tutor me in the build process? I would like to do this legally, safely, and professionally, thus the request for someone willing to pass the knowledge along.

Thanks All.

nicoroshi
02-20-2014, 9:39 PM
1.) Is there a difference in build quality when using tools that require a press vs. the toth tools that would not require a press? Since it appears the prices are fairly comparable, less the need to purchase a press.

Both the toth tools and AKBuilder tools are well made, and work for what you're going to do.
I personally use a 12 ton press from HF that I bought for $80 (sale for $100 with 20% off coupon).
Most of my tools are from AKBUilder since I build mostly on his flats but the bolt cutter rivet tool from Toth is the BOMB for doing front trunnion rivets.
In the end either way will work fine.

2.) Is there a specific order I should be putting this thing together from a legal standpoint? I do not have the receiver yet, and intend on getting a nodak spud receiver legally transferred and registered before attempting to build anything.

From a legal standpoint.....
I make sure it has a barrel longer than 16" (for a rifle), and OAL longer than 30" (that means I put the stock on) BEFORE I install the FCG.
I install a magazine lock before I install any of the 'so called" Evil features of SB23 (pistol grip, flash hider, etc).
I make sure to never have more than 10 imported parts on the rifle.
DO NOT have any full auto parts present when you build!
Other than that there is nothing else I can think of.
Basically want to make sure what you build is CA, and Federally legal at every step of the way

3.) I have read that build parties are dead, however, perhaps there is someone in my area willing (I am in Simi Valley, but willing to travel) to tutor me in the build process? I would like to do this legally, safely, and professionally, thus the request for someone willing to pass the knowledge along.

Thanks All.
Unfortunately tutoring is dead along with the build parties until further notice.
ATF says a 'home build' is built in your own home, using your own tools, and without money changing hands'.
I don't think that they can legally tell someone they cannot teach a skill to another or tell someone they cannot rent or lease their personal property (tools) to another but I am not a lawyer so I will wait for the real lawyers to sort this before I am willing to tutor AK builds again.
The guys down in your area will probably feel the same way.

Helping someone< getting all your stuff taken away, and a felony manufacturing without a license arrest.

Atticus818
02-20-2014, 9:59 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the help. I certainly agree that it would not be worth it to put someone at risk for helping me out.

So also I am assuming finding someone to loan you tools is also in the legal grey area?

My major concern is dropping ~500 bucks in tools, only to find out I really don't understand something, screw it up, and have nothing but a heap of parts/tools for 1000 bucks. LOL.

Also: Is it worth disposing of the full auto parts in some manner, or can you keep them in some form that would imply they are not being used for a build and protect the legality of it all? Further, how to dispose of these parts? Can I simply trash can them?

Atlantic Firearms.com
02-21-2014, 2:48 AM
Here is an example of what the Polish rifle may look like when you are finished

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/af47polish.jpg
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/af47polish10.jpg

nicoroshi
02-21-2014, 4:10 AM
Owning full auto parts is not a
Crime
Having them around when you
Are building could potentially be seen as constructive possession of a machine gun.
I just cut them with a cut off wheel and toss them in the trash.
I will never need them

kcstott
02-21-2014, 5:26 AM
Never understood the need to want to hang on to FA parts.

One it's constructive possession of a machine gun like Nico said

The bigger more realistic issue is who could afford the ammo

Atticus818
02-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Cool, good info and thanks for the help. I am sure I'll be posting more around here as the build moves forward.

Thanks again all.

AK Junkie
02-21-2014, 12:40 PM
just some advice: get your receiver from the Childers Guns, they're Polish and he'll match the serial number to your parts kit and if your kit is dated prior to 1972, you can get the retro 3 spot welds and selector markings and his receivers have the Y stampings.

I would personally skip out on the side rail.

Pauliedad
02-21-2014, 1:28 PM
I agree the scope rail doesn't look all that clean.
I've added one of those Midwest Industries scope mounts to a Zastava OPAP
and it's fun. I can't even begin to see out to 100 yards and having a scope adds to the range time. I'm gonna start adding the rails to any I might build.

Atticus818
02-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead with a Nodak spud due to the immediate willingness for my LGS being so willing to work with them, and sing their praises.

So as a follow up question, if you buy a receiver pre made and go through dros isn't the firearm already made in the eyes of the law? Is it still considered manufacturing a weapon at all?

Also, is their any "collector" harm in refinishing the wood furniture such as a mauser or mosin would?

AK Junkie
02-22-2014, 1:24 PM
you can assemble your pile o' parts on your own or through an SOT 07 FFL, but as of a few weeks (months?) the ATF has deemed build parties and 1 on 1 tutoring sessions a no no.

is your build using an original Polish barrel? if no, then i'd say there's very little collector value in the build.

Atticus818
02-22-2014, 5:40 PM
Wonderful! Thanks. I was hoping I could redo the wood, since te parts kit furniture is diiiiiiirrrrtty.

Thanks again!

AK Junkie
02-22-2014, 5:49 PM
my Polish kit looks new, stocks had some cosmoline but not much

kcstott
02-22-2014, 6:12 PM
On a drosed receiver it is work being do to a weapon not work being done in manufacturing a weapon.

There is no difference in the eyes of the ATF in assembling an AR or a AK on a finished receiver whether 80% or drosed

and you don't need to have an 07 build it for you. Any shop with an FFL dealer minimum or up to an 07 can assemble your weapon. also anybody with the proper tools and know how can do as well as the firearm is already manufactured

Atticus818
02-22-2014, 7:38 PM
I did purposely pick up a b grade kit, so that may be why it is less clean. I figured it was my first build so, given the fact I will likely screw something up, damage will be on a cheaper kit. LOL.

AK Junkie
02-22-2014, 8:00 PM
I did purposely pick up a b grade kit, so that may be why it is less clean. I figured it was my first build so, given the fact I will likely screw something up, damage will be on a cheaper kit. LOL.

lol. there's a sh*t tonne of information on building AKs on here, AK specific sites and on YouTube. with a little care and understanding, there's no reason to screw up your build.

please post pictures when it's completed. i have one that's been sitting in my closet for months that I need to get assembled.

Atticus818
03-21-2014, 3:36 PM
So I finally have amassed the parts need to get this build underway.

Just a few pics to show the progress of the stock refinishing. Mind you, this was a grade B kit, so some of the wood had a fair bit of dings (nothing major) and the color was pretty meh for me. I will say, Atlanic Firearms (who I purchased the kit from) delivered a pretty awesome kit for the money, and I would never hesitate to use them again.

Anyways;
http://i58.tinypic.com/zyanvk.jpg
This was just after stripping the old finish off. Sadly I didnt think to snap a pic before I removed it all.

http://i59.tinypic.com/8x39mu.jpg
This was after drying, steaming out the nicks, re-drying, and sanding all the parts.

http://i57.tinypic.com/fmlabn.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2m60nxt.jpg

These were taken after the first coat of stain went down. I was quite happy with the transformation, and while not perfect, is looking pretty good from what it was.

I'll continue to update as things move along. Thanks for checking it out thusfar!

[]D [] []V[] []D
03-21-2014, 4:03 PM
that's some nice lookin wood

hellayella
03-22-2014, 12:06 AM
good work, proper refinishing of wood involves a lot of prep work (sanding, steaming out the dents etc)

Atticus818
03-22-2014, 4:23 PM
D [] []V[] []D;13699565']that's some nice lookin wood

Thanks!

good work, proper refinishing of wood involves a lot of prep work (sanding, steaming out the dents etc)

Yes it does. Trying to learn it all along the way and make sure I do it right. Appreciate the kind words.