PDA

View Full Version : Micarta v. G10

RandyD
02-18-2014, 8:57 PM
I am in the process of selecting my next knife. I have the choice of having the grips made out of Micarta or G10. I have tried to find the pros and cons for both compounds, but I have come up short. Does anyone have any information, or opinions?

uxo2
02-18-2014, 10:13 PM
I like the look and feel of mircata over G10.
Especially when it is blasted. It gets that's old used look.

Just use a respirator when working mircata.
dust baddd.:facepalm:

G10. Looks like plastic to me

AlbcAlbrr
02-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Micarta is layers of linen suspended in resin, G10 is layers of fiberglass suspended in resin. They are both about equal in strength, maybe with the edge going to G10. Some say over the course of time that microscopic linen fibers will come through the resin and make the handle less grippy. G10 is usually more expensive.

I usually go with what is more pleasing to my eye.

An offshoot to micarta is paper micarta, where they use colored paper instead of linen.

Religious Shooter
02-19-2014, 2:45 AM
Currently have G10 on my TOPS BOB knife and linen Micarta on a TOPS Pasayten Lite Traveler. Also have various folders with G10.

G10 is heavier and doesn't use natural material like Micarta does. Personally I would get G10 (and other 100% synthetic materials) for a hunting knife. But plenty of people use Micarta for hunting knives.

G10 is stronger. But Micarta is strong enough. To me Micarta looks "better". G10 is generally mono color while Micarta can have graining and patterns and is available in more colors.

People have said that Micarta is warmer to the touch and can become grippier when wet. Don't have personal experience on that one.

roll2li
03-19-2014, 10:02 PM
I'll offer up my experience FWIW:

My G10 Knives -
Spyderco Manix
Benchmade AFCK
Benchmade Onslaught

My Micarta Knives -
Ontario RAT 5

G10 tends to have a more aggressive checkering pattern for grip retention. IMO the Spyderco grip "bite" > the Benchmades. In particular the AFCK is quite slick, but the handle feels solid.

In particular the G10 from the AFCK and the Onslaught is quite different. The Onslaught feels very smooth like Micarta.

In comparison the Micarta feels like a well worn river stone. Even though it's smooth, it feels dense enough that when it gets wet it sticks to my hand almost through capillary pressure or something.

Either way both are my preferred handle material, helping shape the tool in a rectangular fashion and making sure that hunk of steel isn't a giant heat sink. I have not had durability issues with either.

silvertriple
03-20-2014, 5:19 AM
I've had knives in both. Micarta in ontario knives and g10 in benchmade. I like them both but prefer g10, but thats just me.

I'd say go and handle both. Your preference will be different than mine.

RandyD
03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
To everyone that contributed, thanks. when I started this thread, I had a Spyderco Paramilitary with G10 handles, and I liked the rough texture of the handles. I also had two Bark River Bravo 1 knives with Micarta handles, but those handles were slick. I ended up ordering another Bark River Bravo 1 in G10, and it is smooth like the Micarta on the other two knives. In comparing the two types of materials on the Bravo 1s, it is difficult to tell the difference.