PDA

View Full Version : To lanyard or not to lanyard....on knives

Jel
02-18-2014, 3:37 PM
Just so that we are all talking about the same thing here. I'm talking about a true lanyard which is a length of cord/leather/etc with a loop that allows you to put it around your wrist/fingers/thumb. This is different than FOBS or pulls that one sometimes may see called a lanyard.

On some of my folders I'll add a paracord fob/pull if nothing more to make it easier to grap out of a pocket and...I have to admit..sometimes it just looks cool.

On my large fix bladed knives I do use a lanyard, but it is a very specific style that allows a loop when needed and then transforms to a snag free design later.

Very similar to the ones shown here. (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/778404-No-Snag-Knife-Lanyard-Loops)

With this lanyard I use it in the way as described on this site (http://bill-hay.com/Lanyard.htm). Look for the blue lettering. His other uses look interesting as well.

Blademan21
02-18-2014, 5:06 PM
I have one on my Randall #8 Bird&Trout. Comes in handy when cleaning fish near water. Also like it when I take it deep sea fishing. Would hate to drop it overboard :facepalm:

uxo2
02-18-2014, 6:24 PM
hacking knives. Yes.

11HE9
02-18-2014, 6:59 PM
On some of my folders I'll add a paracord fob/pull if nothing more to make it easier to grap out of a pocket and...

This ^^^

When I got my Kershaw Cryo I had a tough time getting it out of my pocket. After tweaking the pocket clip, and adding a small fob it has become my EDC :cool:

hacking knives. Yes.

And this ^^^

I added a simple paracord loop on my Kuhkri (already had the hole in the handle)

Jel
02-19-2014, 1:56 PM
I have one on my Randall #8 Bird&Trout. Comes in handy when cleaning fish near water. Also like it when I take it deep sea fishing. Would hate to drop it overboard :facepalm:

Absolutely agree. I would hate to drop a nice knife in deep snow, mud, water, a big pile of leaves or brush. Helps to use a bright color as well for the lanyard.

Explicit
02-21-2014, 3:15 PM
I'm not a fan of lanyards on big knives ( 7 in and up ) If the knife slips out of hand when chopping it could swing back and cut you. I would rather it slip out of my hand and fall on the ground. If the blade is under 7 inches you shouldn't be chopping with it. Just MHO.

I like to use FOBs made from bright colored cord on all my knives so I can find them if dropped.

laabstract
02-22-2014, 8:27 AM
I'm not a fan of lanyards on big knives ( 7 in and up ) If the knife slips out of hand when chopping it could swing back and cut you. I would rather it slip out of my hand and fall on the ground. If the blade is under 7 inches you shouldn't be chopping with it. Just MHO.

I like to use FOBs made from bright colored cord on all my knives so I can find them if dropped.

Completely opposite I only use lanyards on my bigger knives or knives in which I do a great deal of chopping with. I have had my lanyards save my A** a couple times from some pretty nasty wounds.

Ninask
02-22-2014, 8:41 AM
Almost all my knives have a hole for attaching lanyards,
which are a must have sometimes for some things,
in a survival situation losing your knife could be critical,
and using a backup like a lanyard could prevent the loss of your primary tool
N