PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else gotten an AMD-65 kit from ClearView?

nick
02-18-2014, 1:47 PM
I just received the AMD-65 kit from ClearView, and the barrel pin there is... strange. It looks more like a rivet than a barrel pin (see the pictures). Has anyone seen something like this before? I'm thinking I should replace it, but, of course, the final determination will have to wait until I take it out.

Other than that, the kit came in parkerized (why on earth they did this - I've no idea. Looks like I'll only be parkerizing the receiver now, and hope I don't scratch the whole thing too much while building it. Or just repark the whole thing, given that my parkerizing usually comes out black, so matching it to their dark gray would be hard).

They refused to tell me who the barrel manufacturer is. It's not chrome-lined, so it will be nitrided. The bore has visible machining marks on it. I'm thinking of replacing the barrel with one of the AoA barrels I already have.

Overall, it's not so bad, given that it was $350 and all the numbers match. And you do generally get what you paid for. Now I just need to find wooden AMD-63 furniture, and it will be an AMD-63 :)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=304605&stc=1&d=1392763516

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=304602&stc=1&d=1392763344

kcstott
02-18-2014, 2:15 PM
thats called a dowel pin and it's fine.

nick
02-18-2014, 3:27 PM
thats called a dowel pin and it's fine.

Never seen one before, I think. What's the point in using it?

Oldmandan
02-18-2014, 5:27 PM
Now I just need to find wooden AMD-63 furniture, and it will be an AMD-63 :)

AKM63's also have a fixed buttstock and a 16" barrel/matching gas tube/piston and a few other minor differences.

nick
02-18-2014, 9:55 PM
AKM63's also have a fixed buttstock and a 16" barrel/matching gas tube/piston and a few other minor differences.

Yup. Fixed rear trunnion - check. 16" barrel - check. Furniture - still need to find.