PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Bow/Crossbow

8t8iroc
02-17-2014, 7:44 AM
Hi, any Mod please feel to delete if there is already a good thread started on this topic and I apologize in advance that I didn't locate it before I posted.

I would like some suggestions on a good starter bow and a crossbow. The bow would be for myself, I am not a youth and not a little lad ;) The crossbow would be for my Wife, I would probably always be with her when she uses it so even if its something with a bit more of a draw I could be there to help her once she tuckers out :D

Looking so or something to see if we are interested before we invest servious money, more like a "plinking" bow and crossbow if you will.

TIA

wjc
02-17-2014, 1:18 PM
I can't recommend crossbows as I don't use one.

What type of bow are you looking for? Longbow, Recurve, or Compound?

WokMaster1
02-17-2014, 1:24 PM
Visit your local shop that has an indoor range & rentals & take it from there. If you are in the area, check this out. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=854054

8t8iroc
02-17-2014, 1:47 PM
I can't recommend crossbows as I don't use one.

What type of bow are you looking for? Longbow, Recurve, or Compound?

Looking for a recurve sorry, I should have added that.

8t8iroc
02-17-2014, 1:48 PM
Visit your local shop that has an indoor range & rentals & take it from there. If you are in the area, check this out. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=854054

Cool idea that range is just unfortunately a bit far for me. Thanks though.

repomanNWP
02-17-2014, 1:59 PM
I was an archery newb too once... you simply must go to a good bow shop and try several bows, pick the one that fits you best. Be ready, you'll probably spend more than you think. I set a budget of $300, and ended up spending $800 ;-)

covingtonhouse
02-17-2014, 4:12 PM
Samick makes some decent bows for the money, no matter what level. OMP also makes sone decent entry level equipment. Crossbows I dont know about.

gimmejr
02-17-2014, 4:35 PM
Some archery ranges don't allow crossbows.

8t8iroc
02-17-2014, 4:37 PM
I was an archery newb too once... you simply must go to a good bow shop and try several bows, pick the one that fits you best. Be ready, you'll probably spend more than you think. I set a budget of $300, and ended up spending $800 ;-)

Thanks for the advice.

8t8iroc
02-17-2014, 4:38 PM
Samick makes some decent bows for the money, no matter what level. OMP also makes sone decent entry level equipment. Crossbows I dont know about.

Cool thank you.

Eljay
02-19-2014, 8:27 PM
The generic starter bow is a Samick Sage. You'll want to start with a low poundage (30#) and plan on replacing the limbs 5# higher once you can shoot for an hour without fatigue. Even if you can pull back a much heavier bow (and you can) it's really hard to learn good form unless you can totally overpower the bow. The limbs are maybe $80 so it's pretty cost effective to upgrade periodically.

8t8iroc
02-28-2014, 4:36 PM
The generic starter bow is a Samick Sage. You'll want to start with a low poundage (30#) and plan on replacing the limbs 5# higher once you can shoot for an hour without fatigue. Even if you can pull back a much heavier bow (and you can) it's really hard to learn good form unless you can totally overpower the bow. The limbs are maybe $80 so it's pretty cost effective to upgrade periodically.

Great information thank you!

Also does anyone have an feedback on shooting at Bass Pro, not sure if they allow rentals or not. It appears both my boys are too young for their children programs but soon :)

mtsul
03-05-2014, 9:30 PM
There is a good size store/range they teach lessons ect, in riverside it's called Riverside Archery they are great I'm new to bows I got a recurve, I would say go to the shop they are good guys I am totally new and he taught me a ton of stuff in the hour I spent in the store I got carbon arrows a dozen and some points but they are great go talk to them they have a good selection of stuff and they can tell you your length of pull and tell you what you should get ect

Riverside archery
951)-684-9192
1919 Atlas Dr. Riverside CA 92501

guns4life
03-05-2014, 9:36 PM
I'm a disabled archer(permanent rotator cuff damage) and I will be shooting a crossbow during bow season. I shoot a WickedRidge 'Invader'...so far so good. I don't have much to compare it to as this will be my first season using it(or any bow). It's same-hole accurate to 40 yards but I haven't had the space to get a longer shot in yet. I plan on ranging it this weekend with a buddy that has a rangefinder.

Ten Point "makes some of the best hunting crossbows on the market", Wicked Ridge is their more affordable line.

Update: 50 yards shots all day, 60 is pushing it...would have to be zero wind and a rested position IMO.

ibanezfoo
03-08-2014, 6:28 PM
I bought my wife one of these:

http://www.parkerbows.com/crossbows.html?action=detail&detailsku=1126

She seems to like it. Its smaller and lighter so it fits her well. Its very well made. She can't cock it without a rope cocker though. I shoot a Barnett C5 but depending on the size of your wife it may be too big.

For a bow I'd star with something like a PSE Bullseye recurve with whatever weight limbs you can pull correctly. Something like this will let you learn the basics, form, and how to not bite yourself with the bowstring on your forearm. They also aren't that expensive so if you hate it you aren't invested too much. My wife has one of these too and prefers her crossbow (or rifle :) ) to it. I much prefere my compound bow but I still shoot the recurves too. I have an Internature with 40 lb limbs for a recurve. Its a little "beefier" than the PSE.

8t8iroc
03-13-2014, 8:02 AM
I bought my wife one of these:

http://www.parkerbows.com/crossbows....detailsku=1126

She seems to like it. Its smaller and lighter so it fits her well. Its very well made. She can't cock it without a rope cocker though. I shoot a Barnett C5 but depending on the size of your wife it may be too big.

Nice, where do you go to shoot it?

I was down at Faith Armory in Temecula a few weeks ago they have a decent selection of bows and an indoor range I plan on taking my Wife down there this weekend to let her try some bows out :cool:

ibanezfoo
03-15-2014, 6:24 AM
Nice, where do you go to shoot it?

I was down at Faith Armory in Temecula a few weeks ago they have a decent selection of bows and an indoor range I plan on taking my Wife down there this weekend to let her try some bows out :cool:

I just shoot in my back yard. Its always best to try them out and get fitted before you buy anything, bow wise.

Once you buy it the Prado shooting park has a cool archery area, or did last time I was there anyway.