PDA

View Full Version : Mother may I without getting into trouble?

Trigger Guard
02-13-2014, 7:34 PM
Hello all,

Pretty sure the answer is GTG but I thought I would through it out here just to be sure.

Building a new M1a(my first home build) and I would like to mate her up with an E-2 stock which has one of those evil handles. If okay, I would also build with an evil USGI originally equipped flash hider which also has one of those(you guessed it) evil bayonet lugs.

The plan is to simply modify the mag release so that you must remove the trigger group to get the mag out of the rifle. It might be possible to get a screwdriver between the spring and tab to release but I would simply top load with stripper clips.

The other problem is that I have other rifles of which the parts(trigger group) could be interchanged if someone wanted to make it illegal of which I have no intention of doing.

Would this configuration = non detachable mag = OLL

Thanks

ar15barrels
02-13-2014, 7:44 PM
Would this configuration = non detachable mag = OLL

Yes.

Trigger Guard
02-13-2014, 7:52 PM
That's a great answer, this is exciting!

What of the possibility of "constructive intent" because I have alternate trigger groups?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
02-13-2014, 8:44 PM
None. There is no constructive possession language in the relevant Penal Code sections. Notwithstanding that, I would consider not transporting the rifle configured as you have described and an unmodified trigger group in the same container. This would prevent an overzealous and undereducated LEO/DA from alleging that you are somehow transporting a "broken" assault weapon.

ar15barrels
02-13-2014, 8:56 PM
None. There is no constructive possession language in the relevant Penal Code sections.

There is that one recent case though where they added on the "constructive posession" of an assault weapon to a criminal's list of crimes.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-740671.html
The defendent appears to be a prohibited person.

I don't think there are any cases where the "primary" crime was "constructive posession of an AW" though.

Trigger Guard
02-14-2014, 6:19 AM
Okay, thank you all!

I probably should have put this in the 2a forum but they seem to be relishing in the San Diego ruling.

On another note, thanks to Fulton Armory, I have put my Dremmel tool back in the drawer as they have a "Bullet Button" replacement mag release that looks to be a better option.

Thanks again!

DEF23
02-14-2014, 9:07 PM
I just saw an M1a in a gun shop that had the magazine release cut off even with the TG. It was in a Sage stock with all of the 'evil features' on it. I guess you had to either out the TG to drop the mag or use a tool to actuate it.

Didn't look like my cup of tea, persoanlly. But the gun dealer/county sheriff who was selling it seemed to like the configuration a lot.

He thought that I was weird because I was returning my pre-ban Poly-Tech M14 back to a compliant (ie featureless) configuration to be able to finally use all of those pre-ban magazines that I have been sitting on since forever.

kcstott
02-15-2014, 5:56 AM
Everyone gave great advice. Personally I'd leave the M1A in standard USGI stock config and shoot it as is. but thats me.

wpage
02-18-2014, 8:38 AM
Dont forget to google search detail...