PDA

View Full Version : North Vs. South Match Training

PistolPete75
02-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Might be a good idea for people to start practicing with a partner for the North Vs. South match.

As for the partner teams, is it a spotter and shooter team? Do both participants shoot? If it's a traditional, spotter and shooter team, it might be a good idea to team up with someone that has a powerful scope, 16-20x, and with similar ballistics.

wildcard
02-29-2008, 1:23 PM
Thats certainly one way to look at it.. but I really don't know enough about team shooting to comment.

Perhaps even a second string shooter such as Timberwolf can chime in and enlighten us? :)

Certainly Pete's logic makes sense.. but I don't know if it's overkill depending on the specific role of the "spotter" in THIS challenge. I'd imagine that the spotter would be better utilized calling wind, elevation, distance, etc, and letting the shooter figure out the exact calibrations based on the info. Having "similar" ballistics may not be good enough and instead work to the shooter detriment. Let's face it, we won't have enough time to train together to make a difference and thus nobody is going to know the rifle better than the shooter. Depending on the stage, simply having a spotter on a spotting scope may suffice.

Either way, training in pairs is a good idea especially if spotters may have to be utilized as rifle supports in kneeling, sitting, or standing positions. Sorry.. I will not be any dude's support in prone!

Timberwolf
02-29-2008, 1:58 PM
The two man team events will be traditional spotter/shooter - with both parties having a chance to be the spotter and shooter.

I would suggest that those of you that want to partner to let me know who you are. At this time the team is not quite filled - I believe I still have a couple of slots open and all the alternate slots. So if you are not on the list and are interested let me know.

As we speak the following have indicated that they'd like to participate:

I - B. Gager, Balti, Kerr, Na, Chan, Hardwick

II - Augustine, Voight, P. Bauder

Lastly I will be posting an official notice probably later today or over the weekend giving all the details regarding the shootout. The match fees will be $100.00 per person, which will include of course the match, range fees for both before and after, a t-shirt and cookout after the shooting ends on Sunday.

wildcard
02-29-2008, 2:06 PM
B. Gager.. if I remember correctly, that is the LEO in the tac gear present at your first 2 matches?

I assume there is a methodology for selecting teams or are we selecting our own?

Can't wait to see the details.. and the price is right!

Timberwolf
02-29-2008, 2:10 PM
That's correct Gager and Balti are both LEO and have experience partnering together.

I've put together squads I & II. Squad I is .308 only and Squad II is open. As to the different two man fireteams its up to y'all to partner up. If you don't care then I'll assign partners.

PistolPete75
02-29-2008, 2:27 PM
very fair price, and it sounds like tons of fun.

PistolPete75
02-29-2008, 2:35 PM
is Pasqual's son going to shoot? how abot Don's two buddies? that'll be another 4 more shooters. and your buddy Mark? and how about Bob? have him participate.

that'll make 1 fine team for the Socal Team.

Timberwolf
02-29-2008, 2:38 PM
I've got an email into Pascal re Luc and Don's other shooter was Mike, who is confirmed, - he might have a couple others interested but nothing definite.

PistolPete75
02-29-2008, 2:43 PM
cool. we are going to kick some major butt.

Timberwolf
02-29-2008, 2:58 PM
All I care about is keeping that trophy at APS

ar15barrels
02-29-2008, 3:00 PM

So why don't I see all the calguns regulars on that list?
Certainly Cypriss & Pete need to be there with all their expensive gear...

wildcard
02-29-2008, 3:10 PM

I at least know Peter is on that list.. look at the last names.. if he ain't Chan, there's only one other Asian last name there ;)

Timberwolf
02-29-2008, 3:13 PM
Pete's there but alas I've heard nothing from a few others who have attended my matches and various other events . . . Randall

ar15barrels
02-29-2008, 3:17 PM
Pete's there but alas I've heard nothing from a few others who have attended my matches and various other events . . . Randall

If you don't fill up with GOOD shooters, I'm in.
I just figured there are enough better shooters that I need not apply.
And team me with Cameron.

wildcard
02-29-2008, 3:21 PM
I told one of my buddies we're having a Socal vs NorCal match.. he told me to look out for roofies.. haha.

Timberwolf
02-29-2008, 3:22 PM
Cameron isn't on the list . . . but I'll put you on the interested list.

ar15barrels
02-29-2008, 3:23 PM
Cameron isn't on the list . . .

Ve have our vays...

Timberwolf
02-29-2008, 3:27 PM
Bring him on but I needs to know - I haven't even thought of him since he's so involved with the pistol stuff

ar15barrels
02-29-2008, 3:42 PM
Bring him on but I needs to know - I haven't even thought of him since he's so involved with the pistol stuff

He shoots all of Mark's matches and goes to Vu's big match.

rksimple
02-29-2008, 3:43 PM
I look forward to it.

Timberwolf
02-29-2008, 3:44 PM
He shoot in Mark's and not mine . . . that's treason. Anyway email him and see if he's interested.

ar15barrels
02-29-2008, 3:46 PM
He shoot in Mark's and not mine . . . that's treason.

Cat, bag, out. :eek:

PistolPete75
02-29-2008, 5:49 PM
I intend to shoot at the north vs. south match, and yes with my expensive gear. I also intend to fully utilize my scope to what it was designed for, the rest is up to me to put it to good use. With my scope, I am also fully capable of spotting any shooter at any distance with a precise mill adjustment call. I can also see holes in paper targets that most others can't. The scope nor rifle doesn't do the shooting, it's my finger. Don't worry about my equipment, I would concentrate on your own gear and skills. I wouldn't get too cocky either. The more one talks, the more he has to back himself up.

rksimple
02-29-2008, 5:54 PM
I intend to shoot at the north vs. south match, and yes with my expensive gear. I also intend to fully utilize my scope to what it was designed for, the rest is up to me to put it to good use. With my scope, I am also fully capable of spotting any shooter at any distance with a precise mill adjustment call. I can also see holes in paper targets that most others can't. The scope nor rifle doesn't do the shooting, it's my finger. Don't worry about my equipment, I would concentrate on your own gear and skills. I wouldn't get too cocky either. The more one talks, the more he has to back himself up.

Are there any of us that shoot with moa reticles? We need to start working on comms with each other and whether we call impact, correction, etc. and make a standard. That way we'll all speak the same language. If there are any moa guys, they should stick together.

PistolPete75
02-29-2008, 5:56 PM
I don't think anyone has a moa recticle. That's why I said people with similar ballistics should shoot together.

PistolPete75
02-29-2008, 6:02 PM
ryan, when are you getting your rifle?

rksimple
02-29-2008, 6:08 PM
ryan, when are you getting your rifle?

As soon as Randy can get the brake. The thruster brakes have been backordered for a while. I called GAP to see if I could just get one from them and they said yes. They said that marty was there in the shop,that he had them in stock, and I could order straight from him. Randy has had them on order for a while, so they should be coming in any day. I've sent him a few emails noting how anxious I am.

I'm up in SF this weekend for the alumni meeting of my dental school. I went shooting with one of my old instructors up here that has the 5-25 S&B on a sako in 7.82 warbird. It shoots a 200 grain 30 cal at 3250 fps. Eats up barrels in a hurry too. We had a blast. But it really makes me want my rifle NOW!

PistolPete75
02-29-2008, 6:25 PM
As soon as Randy can get the brake. The thruster brakes have been backordered for a while. I called GAP to see if I could just get one from them and they said yes. They said that marty was there in the shop,that he had them in stock, and I could order straight from him. Randy has had them on order for a while, so they should be coming in any day. I've sent him a few emails noting how anxious I am.

I'm up in SF this weekend for the alumni meeting of my dental school. I went shooting with one of my old instructors up here that has the 5-25 S&B on a sako in 7.82 warbird. It shoots a 200 grain 30 cal at 3250 fps. Eats up barrels in a hurry too. We had a blast. But it really makes me want my rifle NOW!

I completely understand. pm coming in Re: Thruster brake.

wildcard
02-29-2008, 6:28 PM
I will definitely need somebody with good glass to help me spot to overcome my 10X shortcomings.

PistolPete75
02-29-2008, 6:29 PM
I will definitely need somebody with good glass to help me spot to overcome my 10X shortcomings.

dude we can pair up. either way if we go single or we team up, we'll still be shooting in the match.

rksimple
02-29-2008, 6:38 PM

This is one of the main reasons I went with the 5-25. No need for a spotting scope anymore.

wildcard
02-29-2008, 6:41 PM
dude we can pair up. either way if we go single or we team up, we'll still be shooting in the match.

Yeah.. but got to score good for the team and represent!

wildcard
02-29-2008, 6:42 PM
This is one of the main reasons I went with the 5-25. No need for a spotting scope anymore.

I'll be going that direction with the .338 I NEED to go all out.

rksimple
02-29-2008, 6:45 PM
I'll be going that direction with the .338 I NEED to go all out.

Good call. The 338 will need it. The 5-25 I have now will probably go on a 7wsm build in the future. The 5-25 on the 308 is a little overkill. It'll buy me some time though until the PR FFP scopes come out, or USO scopes go down in price...whichever happens first!

Cypriss32
02-29-2008, 9:39 PM
I saw your rifle Ryan. I just got home from milling out my stock, picking up my LSR and specing my FTR Mak rifle. Bill are you working sunday?

Cypriss32
02-29-2008, 9:59 PM

**** off. Im tired of this ****. Its a wonder nobody says anything in person.

Timberwolf
02-29-2008, 11:03 PM
I saw your rifle Ryan. I just got home from milling out my stock, picking up my LSR and specing my FTR Mak rifle. Bill are you working sunday?

Yes I'm working Sunday . . . hell if we're slow I may even get to fire a round or two

Timberwolf
02-29-2008, 11:04 PM
**** off. Im tired of this ****. Its a wonder nobody says anything in person.

We have to see you to say stuff in person . . . :rolleyes:

rksimple
03-01-2008, 5:22 AM
I saw your rifle Ryan.

EDIT. Got your PM. Sounds good.

Cypriss32
03-01-2008, 6:08 AM
Those that didnt get to call for the rock GB pm me. I have Pauls Number because i was not able to call at asked times. I told him a couple buddies might call too. Pm me and ill give it to you so you can get your barrels.

CamW
03-01-2008, 11:07 PM
He shoot in Mark's and not mine . . . that's treason. Anyway email him and see if he's interested.

Hey Twolf! Is that why my ears are burning? Don't feel bad, I haven't shot Mark's match lately either.Too many days at the range.
Besides, with all the rain we've had, the grass is nice and green again.BOLO and I decided we're going to do more tactical field shooting (killing critters!).

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7345/gap223ack1stef8.jpg

Vu 308
03-02-2008, 8:05 PM
Wow...getting serious now eh?

Just wanted to post a few pics from todays match. 35 shooters total.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/vuhpham/CIMG0027.jpg

This is a view you boys don't see a lot of I bet...we call it the 1K line. LOL :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/vuhpham/CIMG0039.jpg

We just had a lil wind today.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/vuhpham/CIMG0034.jpg

:43:

Vu 308
03-02-2008, 8:09 PM
The two man team events will be traditional spotter/shooter - with both parties having a chance to be the spotter and shooter.

I would suggest that those of you that want to partner to let me know who you are. At this time the team is not quite filled - I believe I still have a couple of slots open and all the alternate slots. So if you are not on the list and are interested let me know.

Lastly I will be posting an official notice probably later today or over the weekend giving all the details regarding the shootout. The match fees will be $100.00 per person, which will include of course the match, range fees for both before and after, a t-shirt and cookout after the shooting ends on Sunday.

Ahhh pulling in some ringers.....Voight and Augustine are some serious trigger pullers.

Timberwolf
03-02-2008, 8:54 PM
Ahhh pulling in some ringers.....Voight and Augustine are some serious trigger pullers.

Who me . . . didn't I read somewhere that you had a couple of guys going to the Cup?

Love those pics but 19.8 MPH isn't wind, that's a confortable breeze :p let me introduce you to APS' ever present cross "drafts" and thermals. If you thought WEGC was bad . . . hehehehehe . . .

By the way you need to get your guys off that pretty firing line and into the dirt and weeds if you're going to prep 'em to come to the Wolf's Lair.

Oh that's a huge sand trap in the 2nd pic, what's the par on that hole :D

Vu 308
03-03-2008, 7:22 AM
LOL...just because you go to the cup doesnt mean you are going to do well. But yes we have about 5 heading down to the cup from up here.

WEGC wind isn't bad since we don't do a lot of stuff past 550. Majority of the shoot is inside 400.

"By the way you need to get your guys off that pretty firing line and into the dirt and weeds if you're going to prep 'em to come to the Wolf's Lair."

How about you get your crew to get some work gloves on and clear that stuff out? Easy to be hard...hard to be smart. LOL

That pit you are talking about in the 2nd picture is 900yards to the target. Lil farther out than the buff. =)

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 7:36 AM
[QUOTE=Vu 308;1039379]

. . . How about you get your crew to get some work gloves on and clear that stuff out? Easy to be hard...hard to be smart. LOL

QUOTE]

I'm lucky to get by with what I do now. Besides if you're not getting dirty you're not having fun . . . :D

Prc329
03-03-2008, 8:21 AM
That pit you are talking about in the 2nd picture is 900yards to the target. Lil farther out than the buff. =)

The maiden up there with the thermals coming up out of the canyon and not being able to spot your misses due to the canyon behind the target is interesting.

PistolPete75
03-03-2008, 9:36 AM
wildcard, joe, and i went shooting yesterday. 20-25mph crosswinds and we went up to 1k. i had to hold over around 3.5mills at 1k. it's definitely a challange, but hitable. even at 550yards, gushing variable winds hitting between 15-25mph can be challenging but it is hitable.

1k isn't bad unless there is alot of variable gushing winds. even with the crapola 168s.

i had a chance to get my dope down in mills yesterday, so i feel pretty good. need to start shooting more. i'm a little rusty.

PistolPete75
03-03-2008, 9:45 AM
re:1000yard shooting.

just go to the "spot" in the desert for shooting 500-1000yards. the line we cleared works very well from 500-1000yards. you got to join us next time we go.

Prc329
03-03-2008, 10:25 AM
just go to the "spot" in the desert for shooting 500-1000yards. the line we cleared works very well from 500-1000yards. you got to join us next time we go.

That is the plan but after May 1st it will be harder since I will be in SD.

wildcard
03-03-2008, 10:29 AM
wildcard, joe, and i went shooting yesterday. 20-25mph crosswinds and we went up to 1k. i had to hold over around 3.5mills at 1k. it's definitely a challange, but hitable. even at 550yards, gushing variable winds hitting between 15-25mph can be challenging but it is hitable.

1k isn't bad unless there is alot of variable gushing winds. even with the crapola 168s.

i had a chance to get my dope down in mills yesterday, so i feel pretty good. need to start shooting more. i'm a little rusty.

Yup. That was a good time. I prefer to dial in my windage and then hold over only for the changing wind conditions. That way the cant of the rifle/scope and human error doesn't compund the problem as much.

Even with the wind we had and the long ranges.. 1st round hits were doable. I'd like to try some 30 MPH winds just to see what it's like. Pasqual tells me it's not as bad as I may think. I was looking for some 1100 yd targets for the heck of it but my laser won't reach that far unless there's something reflective like a car. Next time. I think I can pull off these trips 1 - 2 times a month. Who's in for the next one?!

The toughest part was carring/hiking that .5" AR500 target!

Vu 308
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Wildcard...just use a GPS.

For real accurate range setup in the field we use GPS units to mark each target and do a way point to your FFP.

Vu

wildcard
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Wildcard...just use a GPS.

For real accurate range setup in the field we use GPS units to mark each target and do a way point to your FFP.

Vu

Only problem with using the GPS is that I have to be physically at that spot to mark the waypoint accurately unless I want to guesstimate. I suppose I could have walked up 100 yds (or however many over 1000 yds I want) and lasered something 1000 yds for a total of 1100 yds.. but I was too lazy and didn't have that many rounds left by the time I decided to. We just started lasering small rocks/boulders at random distances up to 1000 yds and popped them. Helped with our general marksmanship and communication.

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I guess this is where I should chime in and ask why didn't you simply mil it . . . but then I'd sound like a nagging school marm and wouldn't want that . . . :gene:

rksimple
03-03-2008, 11:45 AM
The toughest part was carring/hiking that .5" AR500 target!

Sounds like you guys needed a 4 wheel drive. Its much easier!

wildcard
03-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I guess this is where I should chime in and ask why didn't you simply mil it . . . but then I'd sound like a nagging school marm and wouldn't want that . . . :gene:

Well the only things out there are rocks, bushes, and trees of varying sizes. I suppose I could have attempted to mill the palm tree leaf looking things but it was mostly just rocks and shrubs.

I could have probably guesstimated and be on target in 3 shots.. but then I still wouldn't know what range i was shooting at :confused:

Seriously.. is there something that could have been milled from your recollection of the landscape that i'm not thinking of?

wildcard
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Sounds like you guys needed a 4 wheel drive. Its much easier!

Sounds like you need to come out and give us a lift!

Oh yeah.. we setted it up at 575 yds with one spring only.. worked like a charm.

rksimple
03-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you need to come out and give us a lift!

Oh yeah.. we setted it up at 575 yds with one spring only.. worked like a charm.

If I weren't in SF, I would've been there. Its a lot of fun picking rocks and other small objects to shoot at. Gives you and a spotter a lot of practice with watching impacts and calling corrections.

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Hmmmm doing it that way there really nothing constant unless you know or can guessimate a bush size. I have a similar problem in that I have a cheap rangefinder and much over 400 yards and its iffy. At the range what I normally do is park my truck (mil off wheel) or place another known sized target at the potential firing line and then mil from the target area. It also pays to have a spare mildot scope or monocular you can just carry with you.

wildcard
03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Dangit? Is the next APS Match on 3/29? I don't have class that day but i'm going to Tahoe.. grr..

rksimple
03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Hmmmm doing it that way there really nothing constant unless you know or can guessimate a bush size. I have a similar problem in that I have a cheap rangefinder and much over 400 yards and its iffy. At the range what I normally do is park my truck (mil off wheel) or place another known sized target at the potential firing line and then mil from the target area. It also pays to have a spare mildot scope or monocular you can just carry with you.

Or just pony up the 400 bucks and get a leica LRF. :p When picking multiple rocks to shoot a LRF is almost a necessity, that is, if you want to get first round hits. Or good dope, for that matter. It was always a struggle for me when shooting out there in willow springs before I got an LRF. I'd pick out .5 mil rocks to shoot at and walk 'em in. It was fun hitting them (after a fashion) but I really didn't get any solid dope out of it because I never knew the exact distance. Eliminating that variable is essential to focusing on the other aspects of why you missed!:D

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Dangit? Is the next APS Match on 3/29? I don't have class that day but i'm going to Tahoe.. grr..

No its 3/22 - 4th Sat - guess I should post an announcment and see what the interest is since its the Sat before Easter.

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Or just pony up the 400 bucks and get a leica LRF. :p

Yeah I should - its just one of those things that I keep saying I'll get but then never do - maybe I'll ask the CEO if I can have one for Father's Day

wildcard
03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
No its 3/22 - 4th Sat - guess I should post an announcment and see what the interest is since its the Sat before Easter.

Is it time for a night match yet? :chris:

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Is it time for a night match yet? :chris:

Maybe this summer when its warmer - it still gets rather brisk at the range when the sun starts to set

wildcard
03-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Maybe this summer when its warmer - it still gets rather brisk at the range when the sun starts to set

But that's exactly why we should do it now.. to experience a variety of different environmental conditions!

ar15barrels
03-03-2008, 1:01 PM
That is the plan but after May 1st it will be harder since I will be in SD.

Moving to South Dakota? :eek:
Damn, that's going to make it hard to attend the matches here. ;)

ar15barrels
03-03-2008, 1:03 PM

My Leica CRF1200 was reading rocks to 1350 on the weekend of the class.

ar15barrels
03-03-2008, 1:06 PM
It was fun hitting them (after a fashion) but I really didn't get any solid dope out of it because I never knew the exact distance. Eliminating that variable is essential to focusing on the other aspects of why you missed!:D

+1 to that.

wildcard
03-03-2008, 1:21 PM

I'll pay for his match fee if he brings me back some Waffle House and White Castle..

Prc329
03-03-2008, 1:23 PM

I wish but the wife would kill me.

San Diego, Ramona to be exact.

ar15barrels
03-03-2008, 1:25 PM

Moving, or visiting?
If you are moving, that puts you real close to Pala. ;)
Plus, you can carpool with Jicko when you come up here for matches.

rksimple
03-03-2008, 1:35 PM
I wish but the wife would kill me.

You still gonna make it for the matches?

Prc329
03-03-2008, 1:40 PM
Moving, or visiting?
If you are moving, that puts you real close to Pala. ;)
Plus, you can carpool with Jicko when you come up here for matches.

That's what I was thinking. I'll hook up with Jicko and joining Pala or at least shooting there a few times. I will be moving there. I am going to try and make as many of the APS matches as I can.

wildcard
03-03-2008, 2:59 PM
Wow...getting serious now eh?

Just wanted to post a few pics from todays match. 35 shooters total.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/vuhpham/CIMG0027.jpg

This is a view you boys don't see a lot of I bet...we call it the 1K line. LOL :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/vuhpham/CIMG0039.jpg

We just had a lil wind today.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/vuhpham/CIMG0034.jpg

:43:

Can this still be considered Practical/ Tactical? It looks like country club style shooting. ;)

Dang that's a nice looking firing line..

ar15barrels
03-03-2008, 3:12 PM
Can this still be considered Practical/ Tactical? It looks like country club style shooting.

I suppose that if terrorists invaded a golf club, you would need your snipers to practice shooting like this to be prepared to take them out.

rksimple
03-03-2008, 3:19 PM
I suppose that if terrorists invaded a golf club, you would need your snipers to practice shooting like this to be prepared to take them out.

:rofl2:

Spotting misses with greens as your backstop is tough! Or shooting from the water hazard.

wildcard
03-03-2008, 3:37 PM
:rofl2:

Spotting misses with greens as your backstop is tough! Or shooting from the water hazard.

Don't worry about it.. I hear there's a caddy that retrieves your targets for you while you order cocktails from the line. Can I be called "Biff" or maybe "Chad" when I come up for the NorCal Match? I think it would help me blend in.

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 3:44 PM
Now we have seen how the other side lives . . . reckon how they'll react the first time they shoot as a squad and can't see the target after the first volley due to the dust hehehehe or their reaction to the maiden. Hmmmm

PistolPete75
03-03-2008, 3:49 PM

it really does look more like a golf course than a range.

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 3:59 PM
it really does look more like a golf course than a range.

And y'all thought I was kidding when I called their range a country club - its prim and proper, not dust, weeds, or creepy crawlies - but hey isn't that 1/2 of what makes our matches exciting :p

Cypriss32
03-03-2008, 4:07 PM
Creepy Crawlies? Not good.

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 4:13 PM
Creepy Crawlies? Not good.

junior you ain't living until you're shooting in prone and have "charlie", our resident gopher snake, crawl in front of you - no worries though he keeps mr rattler away (with a little help of the occassional shovel, rake or a dose of snake shot)

Cypriss32
03-03-2008, 4:23 PM
Shooting thursday im going out to ASR for 1/2 price day. I get off school at 2pm and am 10 miles away. Anyone want to go? Bill want to loan me an nikon tac, or trade? I recieved an PSS is 6.8SPC, fair trade for you being discrounteled.

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 8:14 PM
junior if your offering me a PSS in 6.8SPC as a peace offering I would be obliged to accept - I'll slap a Bushnell 10x40 on it and have fun.

Cypriss32
03-03-2008, 8:23 PM
Ill let you shoot it if you loan me an Nikon Tactical for awhile.
As LONG as you dont trash my rifle. I need the action for an Build.

Ohh ya Ryan wants me as his partner. Wonder why. U coming thursday afteroon/night to asr?

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 8:31 PM
Ill let you shoot it if you loan me an Nikon Tactical for awhile.
As LONG as you dont trash my rifle. I need the action for an Build.

Ohh ya Ryan wants me as his partner. Wonder why. U coming thursday afteroon/night to asr?

No weekday shooting for me - I get enough of bang bang on the weekends.

Hit me a PM if you're serious about the N/S Shootout - we have 1 spot left.

Cypriss32
03-03-2008, 8:36 PM
Ya I sent an Pm....

wildcard
03-03-2008, 8:38 PM
No weekday shooting for me - I get enough of bang bang on the weekends.

Hit me a PM if you're serious about the N/S Shootout - we have 1 spot left.

Can you update the list of shooters and partner match-ups?

ar15barrels
03-03-2008, 9:14 PM
junior you ain't living until you're shooting in prone and have "charlie", our resident gopher snake, crawl in front of you - no worries though he keeps mr rattler away (with a little help of the occassional shovel, rake or a dose of snake shot)

I have encountered a snake in the course of shooting a stage.
I just told the RO to step back while I dispatch it as it was well within the 2yd rule and I did not want to get him with debris or myself a penalty for unsafe gunhandling.

Timberwolf
03-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Can you update the list of shooters and partner match-ups?

As of right now

I - A - B. Gager, Balti; B - Kerr, Bacon; C - Na, Chan

II - A - Augustine, Voight; B - P. Bauder, L. Bauder; C - Hardwick

Alternate - Rausch

This is subject to change as I'm still waiting on one more yea or nay.

ar15barrels
03-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Alternate - Rausch

Go ahead and put me on the yea list.
Maybe I can sucker Bruno into shooting too.

Am I in the sub 30 squad?
Best I get to git'n the 243 done?

Prc329
03-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Randall, next time you find a deal on a 700 let me know. don't hog all the toys :D

wildcard
03-04-2008, 8:44 AM
Is "Hardwick" anyone I/we know?

Timberwolf
03-04-2008, 8:50 AM
he came in third in the last match

Timberwolf
03-04-2008, 9:29 AM
To SoCal shooters - hit me a PM with your email address, what caliber you'll be shooting and if you have any partner preferences.

wildcard
03-04-2008, 9:41 AM
PM sent.

In a unrelated matter, I'm having a slight problem with my rifle.

After firing a round and rotating the bolt up, it seems to get stuck just at the end of the rotation preventing me from pulling my bolt back. I end up having to give it a little tap to complete the rotation. I haven't cleaned the darn thing for maybe 600 rds and theres a bit of sand and crap in there. I'll try cleaning it though I don't think that's the problem.. but is there any other possibilities? Everything else including accuracy is fine!

ar15barrels
03-04-2008, 9:48 AM

After firing a round and rotating the bolt up, it seems to get stuck just at the end of the rotation preventing me from pulling my bolt back. I end up having to give it a little tap to complete the rotation. I haven't cleaned the darn thing for maybe 600 rds and theres a bit of sand and crap in there. I'll try cleaning it though I don't think that's the problem.. but is there any other possibilities? Everything else including accuracy is fine!

Hit the bolt handle with a 2x4.

Seriously though, that last few degrees of bolt rotation is where the firing pin catches in that little groove after the cocking ramp.
Sounds like your bolt needs to be taken apart, cleaned and lubed.

rksimple
03-04-2008, 9:49 AM
PM sent.

That happens for me when pressures get high. It has also happened with a friends gun when his brass was getting old and there wasn't much "spring back" to the brass. The case wouldn't shrink back down as much and it would be difficult to extract.

ar15barrels
03-04-2008, 9:51 AM
That happens for me when pressures get high. It has also happened with a friends gun when his brass was getting old and there wasn't much "spring back" to the brass. The case wouldn't shrink back down as much and it would be difficult to extract.

You should feel high pressures when you just START to lift the bolt handle too.
That's where you are pushing the brass back out of the ejecter hole.

Timberwolf
03-04-2008, 9:51 AM
It could be a couple of things - - - your lug area may be dirty and hanging right before release, if its a new rifle you might try lapping the lugs, or it could be the rounds you're shooting are a little hot. Are you getting any marks on your brass?

wildcard
03-04-2008, 9:56 AM
It has also happened with a friends gun when his brass was getting old and there wasn't much "spring back" to the brass. The case wouldn't shrink back down as much and it would be difficult to extract.

Well the cases were easy to extract.. it's just the last part of that rotation. Admittingly.. this primarily happens when I'm firing brass that has been reloaded 8 - 9 times. Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

ar15barrels
03-04-2008, 9:57 AM
Well the cases were easy to extract.. it's just the last part of that rotation. Admittingly.. this primarily happens when I'm firing brass that has been reloaded 8 - 9 times. Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Do you know what primary extraction is?
You might be describing secondary extraction as being easy and primary as being hard.

wildcard
03-04-2008, 9:58 AM
Seriously though, that last few degrees of bolt rotation is where the firing pin catches in that little groove after the cocking ramp.
Sounds like your bolt needs to be taken apart, cleaned and lubed.

I'll try to go this route and inspect my bolt. I think Peter may have the bolt disassembly tool which would beat MY improvised tools/ methods..

wildcard
03-04-2008, 9:59 AM
Do you know what primary extraction is?
You might be describing secondary extraction as being easy and primary as being hard.

No idea what primary and secondary is.. but everythings feels the same except for that moment when it gets stuck.

wildcard
03-04-2008, 10:04 AM
It could be a couple of things - - - your lug area may be dirty and hanging right before release, if its a new rifle you might try lapping the lugs, or it could be the rounds you're shooting are a little hot. Are you getting any marks on your brass?

Didn't notice any marks on the brass.. rifle is old.. and load is the same is always has been. Was shooting in 60 degree weather and didn't notice any pressure signs.

Maybe I should describe it a little better..

When I rotate the bolt up, it feels smooth and free.
When it gets stuck toward the end of the rotation, it's not that it feels tight, it simply won't move any further upwards until I tap/ hit it and it moves up.
At the point it gets stuck, it can freely be moved back down.

Timberwolf
03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Sounds like it may be catching during the last part of cocking like Randall said - take the bolt apart clean it real good including the firing ping and spring

Timberwolf
03-04-2008, 10:56 AM
FYI - I just posted the official notice re this match with all the particulars including cost etc. I will be emailing the reqistration packets to all of you by weeks end and ask that you get the info back to me as quick as possible. The fees will be due on or before May 1, 2008 and if you want to give me a check dated for anytime up to May 1, 2008 with your registration that will be fine to secure your position.

ar15barrels
03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Sounds like it may be catching during the last part of cocking like Randall said - take the bolt apart clean it real good including the firing ping and spring

And put a little dab of grease on the cocking piece where it slides against the cocking ramp.

ar15barrels
03-04-2008, 8:44 PM
No idea what primary and secondary is.. but everythings feels the same except for that moment when it gets stuck.

Primary extraction is the very first extraction that pops the case loose from the chamber.
Secondary extraction is the part that actually pulls it all the way out of the chamber before it's handed off to the ejector to eject it from the action.

Look closely at your 700 bolt from the side as you open the action.
The bolt will lift straight up for most of the unlocking.
Just at the end of it's travel, you will notice it moves rearward about 1/16" to 1/18" or so.
That small amount of rearward travel is the primary extraction.
It also co-incides with the striker popping into the detent on the rear of the bolt.

Even if you stick a case in the chamber pretty good due to over-pressure, the camming action of the primary extraction helps it come out.
If your rifle did not have primary extraction (some designs don't), you would be relegated to actually pulling the case out with the rearward motion of the bolt handle.