PDA

View Full Version : New to archery need arrows? What kind??? I got my recurve

mtsul
02-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Now I need arrows what should I get? Cheaper pratice ones would be awesome! And a good one or two thanks guys!
55# bow And what extra string do I need to get?
Samick-Sage-Takedown-Recurve 55#

Hi guys anything even close To that price range? I have a wtb add posted I'm willing to trade guns or ammo but I was wondering can I buy a stater set or bow for around $200? And then how much should I expect to pay for a release, shooting glove, sight quiver and anything else I might need??:/

I'm very new to archery so any and all info is great I have googled a bunch but there is so much info!

smird
02-11-2014, 11:19 AM
You should be able to get a recurve setup for about that.
Your location shows sometimes Riverside. If you're down that way stop into
http://www.riversidearcheryca.net/ A Samick Sage recurve will run about $140.00. By the time you add arrows etc. you'll be at about $200.00

Hoshnasi
02-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi guys anything even close To that price range? I have a wtb add posted I'm willing to trade guns or ammo but I was wondering can I buy a stater set or bow for around $200? And then how much should I expect to pay for a release, shooting glove, sight quiver and anything else I might need??:/

I'm very new to archery so any and all info is great I have googled a bunch but there is so much info!

Agreed, Samick Sage. Best bang. (http://www.amazon.com/Samick-Sage-Takedown-Recurve-40lb/dp/B007O7Q2L8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1392150045&sr=1-1&keywords=samick+sage)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md5k00higv1r4amizo1_1280.jpg

mtsul
02-12-2014, 3:37 PM
Thank you! I have a bunch of stuff in my amazon cart! Now I'm going to try and sell a gun to get a bow

Bowhunter_619
02-12-2014, 4:04 PM
If the Sage is out of stock take a look at the OMP Mountaineer. Pretty good bow for the money.

mtsul
02-12-2014, 5:14 PM
Now I need arrows what should I get? Cheaper pratice ones would be awesome! And a good one or two thanks guys!

Ninask
02-12-2014, 5:28 PM
Samik is a wonderful bow for the price,
in fact I like their riser so much I had a custom bow built on it,
Make sure you match the spine of your arrows to your bow, if it says 55# that is 55# at 28" draw,
so if you draw say 26" the true draw weight is about 51#,
if you don't understand spine learn first before you select your arrows
N
5 cents please

Epaphroditus
02-12-2014, 5:31 PM
Take a trip to Archery Only (http://archeryonly.com/) in Newark.

Bowhunter_619
02-12-2014, 7:47 PM
55lb is a heavy recurve for someone that is new to archery. I would recommend getting a set of lighter limbs to practice on until you perfect your form. Take a look over at archerytalk in the traditional section for some great write ups and videos on form.

wjc
02-12-2014, 8:07 PM
FYI, you can use wood, carbon fiber, or aluminum arrows with a recurve.

I shoot Gold Tip Hunter Expedition 5575 carbon arrows in my 50+ pound bows.

You'll have to figure out what works best for your bow

WokMaster1
02-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Try Fat Shafts Archery in Benicia. Bayshore Rd off 680. They have an indoor range & pro shop. Good folks & I just got a dozen aluminium ones (forgot the brand for about < $40. Perfect for practice. You choose the nocks, field tips & fletch. They'll measureo your draw length & cut them & put them together.

Bass Pro has their Red Head type & can be had for a great price, too. You have to buy the tips, too.

I just picked up a PSE Razorback from FS & thought I could pull a 35# but quickly swallowed my ego & went to a 25#:-)

covingtonhouse
02-15-2014, 4:59 PM
If you can find them, Gold Tip makes a wood-look carbon fiber arrow shaft. I bought a dozen "blems" on ebay for $50 about 3 years ago. You can find regular ones pre-made for about $120dz. Aluminum is a good choice also, but won't take anywhere near the abuse of carbon fiber. The plus is they are cheaper initially. If you plan on indoor shooting aluminum will work great. Outdoors, arrows tend to get abused more and lost. Samick makes some really nice bows for their price points. I own a Samick made Trad-Tech longbow that is probably one of the smoothest shooting trad bows I've shot. I also agree that 55 lbs is pretty hefty for a first bow unless you have those muscle groups already well developed. As far as your accessories go, a glove or tab is a must, a release isn't really need on a recurve bow. A simple belt quiver works well for indoor shooting. Sights are handy if you hunt or shoot Olympic style, but if you are beginning, it might be better to perfect form and natural aim first before trying to get technical. Balancers, shock dampeners, etc are not going to help much if you don't have your fundamentals down pat. When you are well practiced, and well fundamentaled, then you might notice the difference these things make.

RBShooter
02-20-2014, 8:15 AM
Excellent advice there. Start with the bottom of the draw weight-range limbs and work on technique, technique, technique. That's what traditional archery is about. If you just want heavy draw weight, cheat and go into compounds.

My son and I have the Samick Sage and Journey. Journey is identical to Sage riser, but the limbs are slightly longer, better for tall people, and people like me who got frustrated waiting for the lighter draw-weight Sage limbs to become available :).

I started off with carbon arrows, and already snapped three of them when I missed the target and backer and went into the dirt and rocks behind it. Given that my range is in an undeveloped area and tucked into cliffs and canyons, I probably should've started off w/aluminum arrows.

If you don't have a local archery store to support, Three Rivers and Lancaster both have a strong on-line presence and can help you get started.

55lb is a heavy recurve for someone that is new to archery. I would recommend getting a set of lighter limbs to practice on until you perfect your form. Take a look over at archerytalk in the traditional section for some great write ups and videos on form.

butcher-boy
02-23-2014, 7:17 AM
There are a couple of great traditional archery websites..."Trad Gang" being one that will have all your answers...along with private sales....good luck.

mikey357
02-25-2014, 8:51 PM
55# bow And what extra string do I need to get?
Samick-Sage-Takedown-Recurve 55#

-------

Like other posters have stated, Samick Sage is a good value. 55# is too much draw weight, it will not allow you to build correct form. 25-30 lbs is more reasonable. The Sage does not come with a very good string,its more of a rope. Go with a 12 strand D97 and make sure the serving is built up to accept the nocks of your choice. The Sage limbs are phenolic reinforced so it can take these high performance strings. You will need some sort of arrow rest even if you intend to shoot off the shelf. If you want to shoot of the shelf, you will need a shelf rug and a strike plate. For a more forgiving setup go with a elevated rest. A simple stick on like a Hoyt super rest would work or you can go fancy with a magnetic flipper and plunger. A simple one in your case would be better, its much cheaper and the Hoyt rest is seen in Olympic competition. In your situation, just get the rest, the string,tab, and a bow sling and you are set to go. Have a shop set you up with the correctly spined arrows and have them set up your nock point height.

http://www.worldarchery.org/UserFiles/Document/FITA%20website/07%20Publications/02_downloads/Coaches_Manual_Lev2/11_Recurve_Equipment.pdf

If you are shooting bare bow

http://www.stickbow.com/FEATURES/SHOOTING/gap.CFM

RCJeeper
03-21-2014, 3:55 PM
As everyone stated 55# is gonna be too much to start with. I shoot a 65# compound so I started with a 45# long bow and I'm only now 3 years later beginning to think of a 50-55# bow.

As for arrows, you'll need more than you think, especially if you're just starting, especially if you are just starting with a 55# bow. Them arrows are tough to find when they come out of a strong bow. The Bass Pro red heads are $60/dz and are fine for your purposes. Just match spine to dw and dl.