PDA

View Full Version : Old Schrade with a broken tip

golfish
02-10-2014, 4:08 PM
Hey all,
I have an old Schrade LB7 I bought new in 1984. I broke about 1/4" off the tip. What's the best way to shape a new tip on it? belt sander?

Thanks

fish

Blademan21
02-10-2014, 5:33 PM
Hey all,
I have an old Schrade LB7 I bought new in 1984. I broke about 1/4" off the tip. What's the best way to shape a new tip on it? belt sander?

Thanks

fish

Do you know what Schrade's warranty policy is? If lifetime I would call and see if they will repair/replace. If not a belt sander is the best for DIY.I broke the handle on a Buck fixed blade and they replaced the knife with a new one. Good luck.

bigbossman
02-10-2014, 6:20 PM
Schrade's warranty used to be free replacement for life, minus a handling charge. Looks like Taylor Brands changed that a bit, which is ok I guess as you'd just get a Chinese made knife in return for your USA one.

From thier website (http://taylorbrandsllc.com/pages/downloads):

TAYLOR BRANDS LLC LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY FOR CUTTING TOOLS

This product is warranted to the original consumer purchaser, for as long as he or she owns this
product. Coverage ends if you transfer or sell the product to someone else or if the product is
modified in any way. The warranty covers defects in materials, manufacture or assembly. If
one of our products ever breaks or fails due to material or manufacturing defect we will repair or
replace the product.

The warranty does not cover normal wear, damage caused by abuse, misuse, improper
handling, loss, accident, alterations, neglect, disassembly or improper sharpening. Cosmetic
damage which occurs over time and use, such as scratches on a products finish or coatings on
a product rubbing or wearing off are normal and are not covered by the warranty. Our products
rarely fail because of a defect and in most cases the failure or breakage is due to “tool abuse”.
“Tool abuse”, is when the product is used for unsuitable non intended purposes. Examples
would be using a knife for any other purpose than cutting (pounding, prying, using as a
screwdriver, throwing the knife etc). Multi-purpose tools are not intended to replace full-sized
tools and are for use only on light or moderately heavy-duty applications. Collapsible batons
are not pry bars etc. Always use the proper tools for the proper intended purposes.
Locking systems such as liner locks, safeties, frame locks and lock back mechanisms are

golfish
02-11-2014, 2:35 PM
I guess as you'd just get a Chinese made knife in return for your USA one.

That's what I was thinking would happen. The LB7 is a real stout folder. IMO, it blows away the Buck 110. I think I may have found s replacement on ebay.

thanks

bigbossman
02-11-2014, 5:52 PM
That's what I was thinking would happen. The LB7 is a real stout folder. IMO, it blows away the Buck 110. I think I may have found s replacement on ebay.

thanks

Honestly, I think you're better off going the eBay route and buying either a NOS or good used USA made Schrade. They're better knives, and they aren't that expensive.

I have a few myself - my favorites being the 30T, 50T, and 60T. Great everyday folders, and solid all-around knives.

xrayoneone
02-11-2014, 6:22 PM
I shaped a tip on an old Buck 110 using a belt sander and files. Of course I could have sent it to Buck. I wouldn't trade a US made Schrade for any of those Chicom things.

Blademan21
02-11-2014, 6:55 PM

thanks

I'll take the Schrade off your hands :D

Jel
02-11-2014, 8:06 PM
I shaped a tip on an old Buck 110 using a belt sander and files. Of course I could have sent it to Buck. I wouldn't trade a US made Schrade for any of those Chicom things.

It's a shame that Schrade is now owned by Taylor made and now everything is made in China.

I have one of their original USA made multitools which I paid $45 for 15 years ago.

I compared it to one I got recently at Big 5 for $20 (it came with a Gerber paraframe clone knife also). The made in China version is very rough. They look similar from 3 feet away, but once you hold it in your hand you instantly know it's not even close to the original.

BTW, I don't have any experience with their knives so maybe they have a few that are still decent.

golfish
02-12-2014, 11:31 AM
I'll take the Schrade off your hands :D

I took a hand grinder to it yesterday. I must say, it came out better then expected :)