PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail sight ramp removal on older rifles?

freedom-lover
02-09-2014, 1:57 PM
Any suggestions for removing the front and rear dovetail sight ramps on older Remington and Winchester rifle barrels besides beating on the thing? I looked at Midway and Brownells and they had some fancy fixtures (expensive) but were for pistols not rifles.

kendog4570
02-09-2014, 2:33 PM
If you mean the ramp bases, they were either heat brazed or integral. Some were screwed and the sight post needs to be pushed out to expose the screw. On the brazed ones either oxy-acetylene torch, or machine/grind/polish them off.

freedom-lover
02-09-2014, 2:50 PM
If you mean the ramp bases, they were either heat brazed or integral. Some were screwed and the sight post needs to be pushed out to expose the screw. On the brazed ones either oxy-acetylene torch, or machine/grind/polish them off.

For example, on an older Remington rear sight, there is a dovetail cut into the barrel. The rear sight moves up and down in elevation by pushing another piece in or out. The front sight is held in the ramp by a dovetail. I would like to remove both rear and front and I am looking for a tool that would press these out.

Carsgunsandchics
02-09-2014, 2:59 PM
Brass Punch and Dead Blow Hammer.

Capt.Dunsel
02-09-2014, 3:11 PM
Here is the best I found ,

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-movers/front-sight-pusher-prod16152.aspx

kendog4570
02-09-2014, 3:27 PM
For example, on an older Remington rear sight, there is a dovetail cut into the barrel. The rear sight moves up and down in elevation by pushing another piece in or out. The front sight is held in the ramp by a dovetail. I would like to remove both rear and front and I am looking for a tool that would press these out.

For pushing dovetail sights out of ramp bases, Capt.Dunsel nailed it.

Jester3
02-09-2014, 3:36 PM
Thanks Capt. Dunsel, I'm obviously not a smithy, I hammer, punched the old site out and punched the new sight in carefully which was nerve racking, but went in with no damage. Gonna order the sight pusher RIGHT now. thanks Bro!

freedom-lover
02-09-2014, 4:39 PM
For pushing dovetail sights out of ramp bases, Capt.Dunsel nailed it.

Kendog - what about the sights that go into a dovetail milled into the barrel itself?

kendog4570
02-09-2014, 7:27 PM
Kendog - what about the sights that go into a dovetail milled into the barrel itself?

Big, solid, padded vise and a big, solid, brass drift and a big hammer. Remove the brass marks with cold blue.