PDA

View Full Version : Help with Knife Identification

mrboma
02-03-2014, 9:24 AM
Hoping that someone might know what I have pictured here. The knife is built like a BSH and has a single bevel edge. I wish I captured better pictures, sorry.

http://santacruzsolutions.com/images/k1.jpg

http://santacruzsolutions.com/images/k2.jpg

I have the opportunity to purchase this knife and was looking for opinions on quality and value. Any information is appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

Blademan21
02-03-2014, 8:44 PM
Masamune Japanese Sword Shop
Loma Linda Ca.
909-799-2088
Mike is the owner and is very well known in the Japanese Sword arena. I have a knife every much like the one in your pictures. Its chisel ground and has the makers name on the balde as well. Mine is just a kitchen knife but yours may have more value than mine. Perhaps you can email him pictures and get the answer you seek. Good luck.

mrboma
02-04-2014, 7:29 AM
Thank you Blademan, I was hoping you would chime in. I will get the seller to take more shots for me and give Mike a call at the shop.

This is a kitchen knife to be sure. Brute kitchen knife at almost 1/4" thick. The current owner uses it to break down pork shoulders. He is left handed and after learning this knife is made for a righty (yep, knives are/can be left/right handed) he is selling.

The asking price is around $150.00 which is why I am asking.. I don't really need another kitchen knife, especially at that price.

Regards,
Mike

Blademan21
02-05-2014, 5:36 AM
Good luck getting info on who made the knife. I've attached a(crummy) picture of the one I have. Picked it up at a out door swapmeet. Shows a faint hamon line along the edge. Asking price may be a little high,not sure though. Again good luck.

Boblaw
02-05-2014, 7:29 AM
the maker mark...somewhat similar to this one from Japan

http://www.custommade.com/japanese-knife-with-handmade-african-black-wood-ha/by/studionorthernlights/

Doomsday Machine
03-07-2014, 12:46 AM
This is a laminated "deba" by Shigeki Tanaka. Ao-ko and iron mixed metals. It's a fish processing knife, great for getting through bones. Definitely a righty. They go for $150 to $200-ish retail. A nice knife, for sure...but for a home cook? Eh, not necessary. A deba is always a good idea, but a less expensive one would work just fine.

The second deba, Masa something saku?(not Masamoto, though), is older and the tip is broken, but I like it. It looks like a good knife. The "hamon" is a lamination. Hard edge steel on the back, softer steel on the ridged side.

mrboma
03-07-2014, 8:17 AM
DM,
Thanks for the heads up! This pretty much sums up what I have learned about the knife after doing more research. I like the knife but I just cant justify another fish knife, especially at that price.

Thanks again DM for the info.
Regards,
Mike

This is a laminated "deba" by Shigeki Tanaka. Ao-ko and iron mixed metals. It's a fish processing knife, great for getting through bones. Definitely a righty. They go for $150 to $200-ish retail. A nice knife, for sure...but for a home cook? Eh, not necessary. A deba is always a good idea, but a less expensive one would work just fine.