PDA

View Full Version : S&W 686 grip question?

Gary O
02-26-2008, 5:55 PM
I just purchased a S&W 4” 686 square butt that came with the Hogue black rubber grips. They are not a good fit for me. I have very large hands. What wood grips are you folks suggesting these days? Thanks…

inkedshooter
03-28-2008, 10:45 PM
HOGUE!!!!

http://getgrip.com/

cactuspete
03-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Nil, Herrett's and Pachmayr all make large grips. Sounds like you want some that cover the back strap. I use the Hogue X-frame grip on my 4" 686 Plus but as far as I know it only comes in the round butt configuration. If you want rubber, Pachmayr would definitely be worth a look.

RFB
04-05-2008, 10:07 PM
What wood grips are you folks suggesting these days?

Cannot say I have very large hands, but they aren't small, I love this par of Ahrends (available at TopGunSupply.com) grips on my 686:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg82/RFB7575/686standing.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg82/RFB7575/686inholster.jpg

RFB

QuarterBoreGunner
04-05-2008, 10:22 PM
RFB - saw your "polish" 686 over on The High Road; man is that shiny.
How many hours of Mothers did it take? And yeah the Ahrends look good.

RFB
04-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Hey thanks!

Hi QuarterBoreGunner! I'm still relatively new to gun forums, don't know who hangs where yet. :) This being only my third forum, THR was my first and I've only been on there since Dec. Nice to be appreciated on two sites. :)

Ballpark on the polish is as follows. 6 coats just to get rid of that factory dull and dirty coat. 6 more to really make it shine and clean out every last nook and cranny. Coats 13-17 for me were clean-up after shooting soft lead rounds and before the photoshoot. You may very well be able to do it in less than 12, I was starting with a NIB that had been sent back to S&W for a trigger job and been test fired and left dirty. One full polish cycle was about 30-45 minutes depending on if I stopped or stared at the tv too long, or if I had taken the crane off and had to reassemble it. So roughly 9 hours...but it really was mostly watchin tv on a rainy day too.

RFB

rivviepop
04-06-2008, 11:04 AM
I just purchased a S&W 4” 686 square butt that came with the Hogue black rubber grips. They are not a good fit for me. I have very large hands. What wood grips are you folks suggesting these days? Thanks…

I really like shooting my 686 4" SB with the "stock" wood target grips, I happen to think they're a very good match for it and find it to be a very pleasurable time at the range. If you're carrying this that's a different story as they're kinda fat, but for target they give you a nice firm purchase on the weapon.

battleship
04-06-2008, 12:44 PM
that gun blinds me, so im buying a sw500 soon and would want to polish like your 686 the mothers polish is it a cream form or a paste do you just apply it with a cotten cloth or do you use some type of buffer, how long do you leave the polish on the surface before wipeing it away to a shine. hella nice gun by the way