PDA

View Full Version : Question about building an AR series

rdhays2000
02-26-2008, 4:49 PM
I want to build an AR Series rifle. I dont know if there is going to be another registration timeframe coming up or anything and so I an alittle leary about going down to a gun store to see about getting the parts to start putting one together. Any help from the more experienced people here would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Quiet
02-26-2008, 4:51 PM
Read the FAQ , use the search button and study this flowchart www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

:Pirate:

762cavalier
02-26-2008, 4:53 PM
And the only way there is going to be another "registration series" is if a new law is passed.;)

Hopi
02-26-2008, 4:53 PM
I want to build an AR Series rifle. I dont know if there is going to be another registration timeframe coming up or anything and so I an alittle leary about going down to a gun store to see about getting the parts to start putting one together. Any help from the more experienced people here would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Welcome to the forum!

Read the following:

http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

bohoki
02-26-2008, 4:55 PM
And the only way there is going to be another "registration series" is if a new law is passed.;)

could we do it with a grass roots ballot measure?

Hopi
02-26-2008, 4:56 PM

WTF?!

rdhays2000
02-26-2008, 5:05 PM
So I guess I'm SOL huh?!

DedEye
02-26-2008, 5:09 PM
So I guess I'm SOL huh?!

...No?

Unless by AR "series" you mean you want a lower that's explicitly banned by name such as the Bushmaster XM15. Why would you want to build an AR with that specifically though?

Seriously, RTFFC (Read The F**KING FLOW CHART). Start there, then read the threads, then come back with more specific questions. You're only SOL if you don't pay attention.

DedEye
02-26-2008, 5:10 PM

We [I] don't want that. Why would you suggest that? Seriously, consider the ramifications of what you just suggested.

Is your last name Brady by any chance?

rdhays2000
02-26-2008, 5:14 PM
what meant by AR was I want the Pistol grip style but that is a 10 round fixed mag that actually looks like an M4 more than the Bushmaster that is currently on the market I didnt really like the looks of that one when it first came out.

five.five-six
02-26-2008, 5:26 PM
according to Harrott v. Kings County, there is no such thing as an AR series rifle, or AK for that matter, in Kalifornia

viras
02-26-2008, 5:41 PM
what meant by AR was I want the Pistol grip style but that is a 10 round fixed mag that actually looks like an M4 more than the Bushmaster that is currently on the market I didnt really like the looks of that one when it first came out.

Welcome to Calguns, n00b. :D I've always wanted to say that.

I've got an idea which may help.

First check out this "Pics" thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26726

Note that ALL of the rifles on this thread are CA Legal. Do you see one you like here? If so, make notes of the parts used to build the rifle, or if a parts list is unavailable, PM the Calguns member who posted the pic and politely ask for a parts list.

That's what I did, and it worked for me. :D

rdhays2000
02-26-2008, 8:08 PM
So if I followed the general parts list of everybody's rifles here I wouldnt have any problem building one that would get registered without any problems? I know stupid noob question but hey isnt that why we're all here?

Ech0Sierra
02-26-2008, 8:13 PM
The ones you build here DO NOT NEED NOR CAN be registered! The registration deadline already passed.

Paratus et Vigilans
02-26-2008, 8:15 PM
So if I followed the general parts list of everybody's rifles here I wouldnt have any problem building one that would get registered without any problems? I know stupid noob question but hey isnt that why we're all here?

Welcome! Always nice to have another black rifle devotee in the fold.

That being said, look - - you keep asking for simple answers to matters that are not straightforward. There are no shortcuts to being an AR shooter in this state. Read. Learn. THEN build. Don't just ask for reassurance that your noob take on the matter is accurate. It's not that simple. :)

Diablo
02-26-2008, 8:21 PM
...No?

Unless by AR "series" you mean you want a lower that's explicitly banned by name such as the Bushmaster XM15. Why would you want to build an AR with that specifically though?

Seriously, RTFFC (Read The F**KING FLOW CHART). Start there, then read the threads, then come back with more specific questions. You're only SOL if you don't pay attention.

Relax man. There's really no need for the comment. You told him where to go, leave it at that. If he chooses not to read is up to him.:)

DedEye
02-26-2008, 8:25 PM
Relax man. There's really no need for the comment. You told him where to go, leave it at that. If he chooses not to read is up to him.:)

To be fair, I didn't put that in big red type ;).

Diablo
02-26-2008, 8:34 PM
True. Fixed it to original text....just for you...:D

five.five-six
02-26-2008, 8:43 PM
awww isn't that sweet :grouphug:

aplinker
02-26-2008, 8:53 PM
Read this thread, it's just for people like you.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

The AR/AK memo linked above (and in the one I gave you) is a bit out of date, so some things are even less conservative now.

REDHORSE
02-27-2008, 4:15 AM
How many members got PM'd by the OP? I got one out of the blue... I had to go out and try to figure this guy out asking me a question.

First of all, WELCOME to the forums!

Your question on the PM was so vague, I'm not going to even bother responding to the PM. You need to do yourself a favor and spend a few days reading some of the threads linked on this thread & pinned in the forums.

You were given some good advice already and some good links to start your CA AW education. Be patient and spend some time to educate yourself on our California AW laws. It may seem confusing at first, but the light-bulb will eventually click on and you'll understand.

Then you can assemble/build your own OLL AR to whatever specs you want, when you understand the laws and restriction regarding OLL ARs.

Rick, read up on the OLL threads.

aplinker
02-27-2008, 4:41 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/dsg2003mustanggt/91174851.jpg

tenpercentfirearms
02-27-2008, 6:32 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/dsg2003mustanggt/91174851.jpg

I remember those days.

You guys need to start linking people to this FAQ.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

RJ Dunn
02-27-2008, 6:51 AM

+1 that

This is what I hate about this site. All the smart ***** comments made to new members by 1000+ post members, who should know better. This is very counter productive and were starting to sound like ARf.com.:mad:

Paratus et Vigilans
02-27-2008, 7:15 AM
This is what I hate about this site. All the smart ***** comments made to new members by 1000+ post members, who should know better. This is very counter productive and were starting to sound like ARf.com.:mad:

Put the hate back in your holster! To be fair to both sides of this issue, what usually brings out those kinds of responses are noob posts that demonstrate a near total lack of effort on the part of said noob to spend some time reading up on the issue, and posts by noobs who just want to have answers spoon-fed to them (nice pic, Wes!) by the people who HAVE taken the time and HAVE gone to the effort to learn the law. How do you like it whan you're sitting in line to get off the freeway at a busy offramp, and some jackweed passes you and everyone else, then tries to squeeze into the line 20 cars ahead of you? Well. . . there you are.

Spoon-feeding is counter-productive too. The noob who fails to put in the time to learn the law is also likely to be the noob who gets it wrong when he builds his OLL, or who can't explain why it's legal if challenged by LE at a range. That's worse than counter-productive.

So, it's important to be polite and welcoming to newcomers, but it's also important to encourage self-study rather than just handing out the answers to the test. IHMO. :)

DedEye
02-27-2008, 12:39 PM
+1 that

The only reason I reacted the way I did was after the OP completely ignored all of the helpful and polite posts other members responded with. If you look at my responses in other noob threads I'm usually rather polite, but this guy's complete refusal to do any kind of research for himself made me angry.

saxman
02-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't know what's so difficult about the concept of reading some threads.

I came on here as a noob, had no idea about the laws regarding OLL, and some how managed to figure it out in a very timely manner, without annoying threads or hounding people with PMs.

It's really not that difficult people.

-hanko
02-27-2008, 1:17 PM
I don't know what's so difficult about the concept of reading some threads.

I came on here as a noob, had no idea about the laws regarding OLL, and some how managed to figure it out in a very timely manner, without annoying threads or hounding people with PMs.

It's really not that difficult people.
I got into AR's in the 1980's...spent one heck of a lot of hours on the ar15 mailing list which later morphed into arfcom.

I got the FAL itch in the mid-90's...did similar stuff on the fal files...a lot more reading that posting.

With both rifles, I asked about what I did not understand after a BUNCH of reading.

We need to welcome newb's here, as they'll continue the forum. It's not too much to help new folks with questions, but all of us learn better if we do some research first to answer the basics. If that doesn't happen first, the newb will continue to ask a question at a time, and end up with very little knowledge in the end. This thread so far has 4 questions from the OP:rolleyes:

So, rdhays2000, do some reading here. For how to put your parts together, check the build-it-yourself forum on arfcom. Ask about stuff you don't understand & check my sig line:D

DedEye, I would have used a smilie;)

-hanko

rdhays2000
02-27-2008, 1:28 PM
I was looking over the flow chart and at that moment I had a brain fart or mustve been alittle tired cus it didnt make sense to me but since then I have been doing some reading here and things are starting to come together. I'm sorry if I annoyed or ticked anyone off I didnt mean to do so.

Rick

DedEye
02-27-2008, 4:07 PM
I was looking over the flow chart and at that moment I had a brain fart or mustve been alittle tired cus it didnt make sense to me but since then I have been doing some reading here and things are starting to come together. I'm sorry if I annoyed or ticked anyone off I didnt mean to do so.

Rick

Wasn't your fault. My bad for snapping :o.

RobG
02-27-2008, 4:20 PM
Rick,
The laws are confusing to say the least when first reading. That flow chart is awesome to follow but only if you have read up on all the SB23/Harrott stuff. Keep reading...

You know seeing as this is such a common ?? for noobs, I say push them to buy an already compliant rifle, eg. from Lanworld with BB or MM/U15, as their first AR. So what if you don't build it yourself. If you are that inquisitive about the build-up, take it apart and put it back together at a later date. At a minimum buy a built compliant lower, which is the important part anyway.

rdhays2000
02-27-2008, 7:22 PM
thanks for all the help. I'll keep reading the info here.

Rick

aplinker
02-28-2008, 4:16 AM
thanks for all the help. I'll keep reading the info here.

Rick

We really do like helping, it's just a little frustrating to see the same questions that are asked that are CLEARLY answered in multiple newbie threads.

We know they're confusing, so asking clarification is different.