PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this big5 deal?

wksun88
02-26-2008, 2:17 PM
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy one of these on sale at big5 what do you think?
I'm not looking for a rifle that will shoot sub MOA, just something that is decent.
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=detail&storeid=2503972&rapid=0&listingid=-2091999023&offerid=

MustangO4
02-26-2008, 2:21 PM
You can find Savage 10 FPs from time to time around that or just a little more.

ohsmily
02-26-2008, 2:38 PM
Spend the extra money and get a Remington 700 or a Savage. Avoid the 710s.

wksun88
02-26-2008, 2:59 PM
Spend the extra money and get a Remington 700 or a Savage. Avoid the 710s.

What are some problems with the 710?

thazard
02-26-2008, 3:06 PM
Basically you get what you pay for. I saw that deal, and asked some friends about it. They said the 710 is an alright gun, but you get what you pay for. Cheap stock and bolt and scope. The bolt is clunky. I went to shoot my friend's and when you shoot it, it feels like a cheap gun. It seems like you are interested in something more than a .22 and like other people have said, I would spend the $100-$150 extra dollars to get a nice Remington 700 or savage 10.

Top Cat
02-26-2008, 3:27 PM
Why pay anything for a piece of crap...the Stevens 200s and Savage packages that they sell are decent rifles...some would consider them to be an excellent value.

TC

sb_pete
02-26-2008, 4:18 PM
Well, you say you're not looking for something to shoot MOA, so.. something like this never really will. It has a scope and shoots bullets but that's about it.

They feel kinda cheap. They shouldn't be terrible on accuracy (never actually shot one though). The scopes on these packages tend to be rather lacking as do the rings and bases. They won't hold zero for too long, and he scope in general will be great until the moment you look through something better.

Personally, I would either pony up the extra $150 or so for a savage 10 or Rem700 (doesn't include scope, rings, and base though) or build up a surplus sporter like a Mosin or Enfield or something. You could build up a surplus for the same price and have the satisfaction of having put your own work in it.

NRAhighpowershooter
02-26-2008, 4:28 PM
it's a bare bones 'hunting' rifle... made for people that only shoot one box of ammo a year (that box shot to resightin before hunting season)

rksimple
02-26-2008, 4:49 PM
it's a bare bones 'hunting' rifle... made for people that only shoot one box of ammo a year (that box shot to resightin before hunting season)

This is true. Its a throw away gun. The barrel really isn't designed to be replaced. So figure 5k rounds or so and its toast. You'd be MUCH better served to buy a 700 SPS. At least you can build and improve upon that one.

If you don't want to hunt much with it, or just want to varmint hunt, the SPS varmint is a great deal if you can find one. They've been sold out most everywhere.

Rob454
02-26-2008, 7:25 PM
I own a remington 710. I bought it from a buddy who was going to iraq and needed the $$ for some last minute stuff. it shoots just fine. i also own a Savage, a winchester and a couple of other rifles. I shot the remington and it shoots just fine. yeah its not a high price rifle I agree. But I can shoot a piece of rebar sticking out of the ground at 100 yards and keep all my shots within a 1.5-2 inch circle at 200 yards. over and over. And thats with crappy greek ammo or whatever else I find in my big box of different make ammo. As far as the bolt action itself its pretty smooth IMO. in the begining its stiff but shoot it a while and it loosens up. The reason I like it is because its slightly shorter than my other rifles and I can put it in the extra cab part of my truck ( which isnt very big) and pull it out where all my other rifles would get snagged on door opening due to the 2 inches of longer barrel. Its easy to use in the woods and Im not gonna freak out like my buddy who brings a 3500 $ rifle to go deer hunting and puts a scratch on it. Yeah when I shoot the barrel out so what it only costs me 300-350$ to get another throw away gun. I doubt Im gonna shoot 7000 rounds out of it or actually wear the barrel out. Sure I got rid of the crappy Simmons scope but overall I dont think its as bad a rifle as some people make it out to be. if youre a gun collector and like sitting there and kiss and fondle your guns and love to tell people how much $$ you got invested in them well thats your choice ( AKA my buddy Dale). but if you want a rifle to go hunting with and dont really want to worry if you put a scratch in it a beginner entry level rifle isnt a bad thing to get. you can ALWAYS upgrade and for the most part you can sell a entry level rifle and make some of your $$ back.

Gunaria
02-26-2008, 7:31 PM
i do not know what everyone is talking about, just get yourself a moison and look around because you might get lucky to purchase a moison with the factory scope mount drill holes, simply buy the bracket and scope and your in business.

For some strange reason, they always seem a bit reluctant at Big5 to sell anything firearms related,

Sorry but what the heck is a moison?:confused::eek::rolleyes:

wksun88
02-26-2008, 8:13 PM
^ I think he means mosin.
Thanks for all the input guys, so anyway,I asked about this because I am thinking about buying the savage 110FP that big 5 has on sale every now and then and this one (710). Which one do you think is better?

Linus
02-26-2008, 8:15 PM
I own a remington 710. I bought it from a buddy who was going to iraq and needed the $$ for some last minute stuff. it shoots just fine. i also own a Savage, a winchester and a couple of other rifles. I shot the remington and it shoots just fine. yeah its not a high price rifle I agree. But I can shoot a piece of rebar sticking out of the ground at 100 yards and keep all my shots within a 1.5-2 inch circle at 200 yards. over and over. And thats with crappy greek ammo or whatever else I find in my big box of different make ammo. As far as the bolt action itself its pretty smooth IMO. in the begining its stiff but shoot it a while and it loosens up. The reason I like it is because its slightly shorter than my other rifles and I can put it in the extra cab part of my truck ( which isnt very big) and pull it out where all my other rifles would get snagged on door opening due to the 2 inches of longer barrel. Its easy to use in the woods and Im not gonna freak out like my buddy who brings a 3500 $ rifle to go deer hunting and puts a scratch on it. Yeah when I shoot the barrel out so what it only costs me 300-350$ to get another throw away gun. I doubt Im gonna shoot 7000 rounds out of it or actually wear the barrel out. Sure I got rid of the crappy Simmons scope but overall I dont think its as bad a rifle as some people make it out to be. if youre a gun collector and like sitting there and kiss and fondle your guns and love to tell people how much $$ you got invested in them well thats your choice ( AKA my buddy Dale). but if you want a rifle to go hunting with and dont really want to worry if you put a scratch in it a beginner entry level rifle isnt a bad thing to get. you can ALWAYS upgrade and for the most part you can sell a entry level rifle and make some of your $$ back.

Quick words of wisdom. :iagree:

daskraut
02-26-2008, 8:24 PM
get a more popular rifle for a little more $$ that has lots of hot-rod goodies to mod in the future. Once you get a nice bolt action and you shoot long distance, it is addicting and kinda cheap cuz you shoot slower. I like old mil ammo so that is what all my calibers are on my weapons. But, if you are going to hunt, 7MM is supposed to shoot real flat and is preffered by alot of hunting buds. I'll stick with .30-06

ar15barrels
02-27-2008, 1:43 AM
Its a throw away gun. The barrel really isn't designed to be replaced. So figure 5k rounds or so and its toast.

The reality is that all but the most devoted shooters will never wear out a barrel or a gun in their lifetime.
At today's price of $1 a round for hunting grade 308, it would take $5000 to wear out a $500 gun.
The cost of throwing the gun away later hardly matters when you look at it that way, nor does the extra $300 to get a much better rifle right from the start. ;)

sb_pete
02-27-2008, 3:35 PM
I think Rob454 is right on the money. It totally depends on what you're trying to do. If you want something to plink away with or go hunting occasionally it will get the job done and not break the bank. If you're trying to get into some kind of precision shooting or think that is something that might interest you, spend your money elsewhere.

I think the main thing I dislike about these combos is not the rifles but the scopes. Cheap mounts and low grade scopes just detract from the pleasure of shooting for me. I'm not saying you need some US Optics beast from beyond or even that you need to blow your wad on some Leupold or SB beauty; a decent mid-line ($100-300) scope like a Millett, Nikko, Burris, or even BSA with a quality mount (~$50) will make shooting much more enjoyable. Thus for me, the extra cost of the "package deal" is better spent elsewhere.

Gunaria, Yeah, pretty sure he meant Mosin as in Mosin Nagant M91/30 or M44 or M38, etc.

wksun88, are you sure you don't mean 10FP (http://savagearms.com/10fp.htm) and instead of "110FP" (http://savagearms.com/110fp.htm) which is the long action model for such rounds as 300Win Mag? I personally have a 10FP .308 with the Choate stock and the 26" barrel and I can't say enough good things about it. The Accutrigger is a dream and the gun is accurate as all hell. The only thing is that such a gun is like twice as heavy as the Rem 710 you were talking about. I am a pretty big guy, and while I am capable of shouldering and firing the 10FP off hand, it ain't exactly fun and I prefer to shoot it from a rest or bi-pod. Again, the question is what is your intended use?

Another thing to keep in mind is the cost of ammo. .308 used to be quite cheap, but this is not really the case any more. (I find the 1in10" twist on the 10FP doesn't really like light weight 146-150gr FMJ milsurp stuff anyway thus necessitating the use of more expensive 168gr+ stuff, also steel case is just a bad idea in my 10fp, case expands and is hard as hell to extract after firing). In any case, .223 is MUUUUUUUUUCCHHH cheaper nowadays. If you are only intending on plinking or shooting varmint out to 500yds or so (pretty friggin far really), then .223 may be more fun for you.

ViPER395
02-27-2008, 4:11 PM
I say wait for the deal on the Savage's. They swap the ad out every month or so. My nephew got a great-looking Savage in 7mmMag from Big-5.

Rob454
02-27-2008, 8:59 PM
^ I think he means mosin.
Thanks for all the input guys, so anyway,I asked about this because I am thinking about buying the savage 110FP that big 5 has on sale every now and then and this one (710). Which one do you think is better?

if that was my choice id go for the savage. If you want to get into some long distance competition shooting these rifles wont do. the savage maybe if you go to a gunsmith with it. As for the caliber I prefer a 30-06. Some of the places I go dont have 7mm mag but pretty much any mom and pop store even in the middle of nowhere has 30-06 on the shelf. There are better calibers out there but Im partial to 30-06s. probably because my grandparents swear by it ( WWII vets) and thats all I really hunted with when I was a kid. I dont think they know there are other rifle calibers out there. One of them goes out hunting with me with a old azz garand. I keep telling him to leave it at home cause it will probably blow up in his face one of these days. The other one finally broke down and us using a 30-30 I bought him. Its a running joke with us.
Rob

weezil_boi
02-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Dont bother with the Rem. get the savage. consider that the 7mm ammo will run you 30-50% more than the 30-06 and the gun wont produce resulsts good enough to really notice the difference between the two out to 300yds if you have it sighted well. I shoot side by side with my buddy... both savages ( 7mm and 30-06), at the range, his 7mm Federal runs $14/box and mine 30-06 Fed runs $10/box. Hittin same targets at 200yds all morning. When you get a chance, buy a mid-range scope. I like the Bushnell Elite 3200, about $175.

The Rem and Savage will cost you the same $$, hold em both... you'll pick the savage Im sure.

My 1.5 cents.

Oleboy
02-28-2008, 2:28 PM
I say if you like it buy it but do yourself a favor check with your local gun store 1st and see if they can sell it to you at the same price. Support local