PDA

View Full Version : AR: rail front sight base gas block or fixed front sight?

duenor
02-26-2008, 9:12 AM
I just got one of UCLA's matech rear BUIS and I am in love with my OLL (pics coming tonight).

I kind of wish I had built it with a rail front sight gas block instead of the standard post though.

in my next build - which would you recommend? I can see that there might be advantages to both.

bwiese
02-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I've never had any issue with A2 front sight towers. They just work, and they stay affixed to bbl and don't leak gas.

Oh - if you have a flattop upper, make sure you have an F-marked front sight tower so it's Colt compatible - so it works with quality backup rear sights without fudging around for the 0.04" sight height difference.

The presence of an A2 front sight tower doesn't bother me when using a magnifying optic of 3X or more; when using a red dot 1X optic sight, just cowitness red dot with (zeroed) front sight post.

duenor
02-26-2008, 1:01 PM
thanks, bill.

I like things that work and are KISS-reliable. the front sight tower does it for me. as for the F mark, Ill have to check. my FST is from DPMS and cowitnesses perfectly with my matech BUIS rear.

ill keep this one just the way it is.

i might do a match AR in the future.. in that case, ill probablyg et a flat GSB so that the scope doesn't have to deal with something in the way and i can mount it real low.

Sgt Raven
02-26-2008, 1:06 PM
If you read what Larry Vickers’ has to say about gas blocks, any serious use AR should have a pinned gas block or front sight base. As someone that ‘has seen the elephant’ I take his words seriously. ;)

shark92651
02-26-2008, 1:15 PM
The new ARMS #41B folding front sight looks interesting, has the classic shape, but it uses cross bolts. I'd like to see them produce a taper pin version as well.

http://www.armsmounts.com/images/img838505.jpg

Sgt Raven
02-26-2008, 1:48 PM
The new ARMS #41B folding front sight looks interesting, has the classic shape, but it uses cross bolts. I'd like to see them produce a taper pin version as well.

http://www.armsmounts.com/images/img838505.jpg

From what I’ve read on ARFCOM they’re coming out with a pinned version.