PDA

View Full Version : oll PPT in stockton area.

philthy209
02-25-2008, 9:39 AM
who will do a ppt in the stockton area of an oll?

I would like to purchase a lower off a fellow calgunner but everyone i call says "find another dealer".:(:mad:

thanks in advance.

emc002
02-25-2008, 9:42 AM
CRT Guns in Modesto, a couple in Sonora and one in Jackson.
Not Stockton, but closer than Sac...

Thorsen
02-25-2008, 9:47 AM
I think CRT guns in Modesto is still called Sierra Sports(could be wrong though). If memory serves me correctly their number is 209-544-1911

Heatseeker
02-25-2008, 9:54 AM
+1 for the Sportsman in Sonora((209)532-1716.). Alicia will happily do OLLs at a reasonable price.

That was the closest I could find. It's a nice ride up there and you can have a pop while you're there since the store doubles as a bar!

I don't think Sierra(CRT) will handle OLLs. Their website says "all things cowboy".

hawn88
02-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Sierra(CRT) won't do any but the ones they have in the shop. I believe they are Vulcan lowers with the 10/20 mag epoxied and set with what looked looked a headless screw on the front of the mag well.

I am trying to find someone in the Modesto area that will transfer and OLL for me as well for my first build. I have either called or visited almost all of the gun shops in the area and no luck so far.

Thorsen
02-25-2008, 1:53 PM
My question is this: Do they really have a choice in the matter if you really want to press the issue? Aren't they required by law to process the PPT for you?

philthy209
02-25-2008, 2:03 PM
I was told by Sierra (CRT) that they would do a PPT of a lower because they were required to by law.:patriot: The problem being this is too far a drive for the current owner of the lower. I called Stockton gun exchange and the outdoor sportsman and they both could care less about this requirement :hide: as they just said no and hung up. They both where very rude and sounded angry with me as soon as i said OLL.:cool:

BONECUTTER
02-25-2008, 2:11 PM
My question is this: Do they really have a choice in the matter if you really want to press the issue? Aren't they required by law to process the PPT for you?

Yes ....and ....No.

Yes: The law requires they do the PPT
No: If they feel the firearms is restricted. (IE-illegal)

Many shops don't know the OLL laws so they won't touch them fearing it could get them shut down. Yes it sucks, but if someone goes to transfer a on-list reviever because they don't know any better and ATF inspects...bye bye FFL/store.

Most places will not risk it. Best bet is to remain civil. Thank them for their time and leave them with some literature on the subject. Maybe even the Cal Guns website. If they see how many people are here and what they want they might just change policies and start stocking EBR stuff.

Keep in mind (from someone who works in a gun shop)....Im not saying it happens to me or where I work, but you would be amazed at the type of illegal guns people try to transfer. AMAZED!!!! ;)

Heatseeker
02-25-2008, 3:46 PM
I was told by Sierra (CRT) that they would do a PPT of a lower because they were required to by law.:patriot: The problem being this is too far a drive for the current owner of the lower. I called Stockton gun exchange and the outdoor sportsman and they both could care less about this requirement :hide: as they just said no and hung up. They both where very rude and sounded angry with me as soon as i said OLL.:cool:
The current owner thinks it's too far to drive down to Modesto? Does he know it's only like 15 more minutes down the road from Stockton?

I happened by Sierra today and stopped in for the first time. The guys were both really cool and gave me the same info, yes on a OLL PPT, but said they won't receive them from another FFL.

I go into the Gun Exchange and the Outdoor Sportsman regularly. Neither want anything to do with the whole OLL issue for fear of reprisals if/when there is some kind of action/ruling taken by the State. The Smith at OS wouldn't even check the headspacing on my upper! He told me not to even bring it in! A little paranoid, maybe, but I guess that's their prerogative.

JS-M1A
02-25-2008, 4:30 PM
I go into the Gun Exchange and the Outdoor Sportsman regularly. Neither want anything to do with the whole OLL issue for fear of reprisals if/when there is some kind of action/ruling taken by the State. The Smith at OS wouldn't even check the headspacing on my upper! He told me not to even bring it in! A little paranoid, maybe, but I guess that's their prerogative.

You will the same from all FFL`s in San Joaquin Co.
No one will touch an OLL in the whole county.

Heatseeker
02-25-2008, 4:35 PM
You will the same from all FFL`s in San Joaquin Co.
No one will touch an OLL in the whole county.

I found that out, hence my suggestion to head up to Sonora. The Sportsman was more than happy to handle my OLL transfer. It's really too bad these local guys feel this way. they're causing locals to spend money at other shops. I'd like to do what I can to support my local shops :( . I guess I'll just have to stick to trolling for consignments ;) .

SunriseF150
02-25-2008, 6:39 PM
The Sportsman in Sonora is not really doing OLL's anymore. Unless she knows you. She's gotten the feeling from some that she did that they weren't going to configure them legally. So she doesn't want to risk it. I know her pretty well, and pay her commission when she finds buyers for my guns. She knows I know the laws so is happy to deal with me. I just had someone in Sonora ask me the other day who does transfers or sells OLL's near by cause she turned him down.

So no shops in Modesto or Stockton? Looks like the closest is Irvington Arms in freemont? I've heard there was a few shops in the Livermore/Dublin/Pleasanton area but don't know who.

Heatseeker
02-25-2008, 6:51 PM
The Sportsman in Sonora is not really doing OLL's anymore. Unless she knows you. She's gotten the feeling from some that she did that they weren't going to configure them legally. So she doesn't want to risk it. I know her pretty well, and pay her commission when she finds buyers for my guns. She knows I know the laws so is happy to deal with me. I just had someone in Sonora ask me the other day who does transfers or sells OLL's near by cause she turned him down.

Really? That's too bad. I picked mine up a couple of weeks back and she didn't mention anything about that. I hope I wasn't one of the people that gave her the wrong impression :angelsad2: . We had discussed the use of preban owned 30 round mags with the with a featureless configuration. She seemed like she wasn't aware of that. I assured her that I was planning a fixed mag for the lower I picked up though.

SunriseF150
02-25-2008, 7:06 PM
Yeah I've went over the configs with her before. Showed her the mmg, and the BB. There's just a lot of stupid kids around and thats probably who has her concerned. Don't get me wrong I'm 29 (don't even look it, still get i'd at bars). But it's all about how you conversate with someone that you can get the feel for them. I actually plan on printing the oll flyer and taking some down there next time i go by there (in about a week to pick up my SA m-7 :D )

Heatseeker
02-25-2008, 7:13 PM
Whew! I'd hate to think I ruined it for others! Tell her Hi for me next time you're in. Tell her I was the one who had to do two 10 day waits(my original DROS was misplaced). She'll remember...

Bobula
02-25-2008, 7:19 PM
I've spoken with the owner of outdoor sportsmen, friend of a friend. He said he has not gotten a 100% "yes, they are legal" from CAL DOJ so he wants nothing to do with them. Can't blame him for not wanting to gamble on his livleyhood.

FEDUPWBS
02-25-2008, 7:25 PM
who will do a ppt in the stockton area of an oll?

I would like to purchase a lower off a fellow calgunner but everyone i call says "find another dealer".:(:mad:

thanks in advance.

Find the closest FFL to you. March your a55 in there w/ your legal OLL and documentation Of OLL and the regs on PPT and make em do it! If they do not follow through and make a positive contact w/ the DOJ! If everyone did this each and everytime they do a PPT this BOOL5HIT WILL STOP!!

G17GUY
02-25-2008, 7:35 PM
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/ffl&state=ca

Composite Rifle Technologies --

Wonder why they will not accept from FFL, Rainer lists them.

G17GUY
02-25-2008, 7:58 PM
VALLEY ARMS
Company VALLEY ARMS
Address 2628 PORSCHE STRASSE
TURLOCK, CA 95382
FFL# 9-77-35950

This FFL is also listed on rainer arms dealer finder.

Let us know

Linus
02-25-2008, 7:59 PM
I grew up in Stockton and they don't like OLLs. Anyone you call about ppts will hang up on you or just way its too of a gray area.

low94noma
02-25-2008, 8:06 PM
If you cant find local...Just pay the 187 for an Essential Arms lower...187, tax and DROS is included.....In Dublin...I think I told you before.....But PM me if you cant find the contact...;)

Kiba
02-25-2008, 8:37 PM
FYI, Gary at Stockton Gun Exchange acknowledges the legality of OLL's; I had a lengthy discussion with him several months ago. Even though he knows they are A-OK he chooses not to touch them; he had some audit findings about a year and a half ago when his business partner split and doesn't want the possibility of added scrutiny.

FEDUPWBS
02-26-2008, 6:29 AM
FYI, Gary at Stockton Gun Exchange acknowledges the legality of OLL's; I had a lengthy discussion with him several months ago. Even though he knows they are A-OK he chooses not to touch them; he had some audit findings about a year and a half ago when his business partner split and doesn't want the possibility of added scrutiny.

He has no choice on ppt, olls are legal.

philthy209
02-26-2008, 7:04 AM
If this is the case why is san joaquin county on calguns OLL list as the only county that acknowledges the legality of OLL? I'm not trying to change the world just start my second build, This time with something other than a P.O.S. vulcan lower.

Kiba
02-26-2008, 8:49 PM
He has no choice on ppt, olls are legal.

That is true-- I asked if I could get some more shipped in to him, I didn't ask him to do a PPT on an OLL.

I don't know if I'd put him on the spot for a PPT just out of courtesy. Gary's always been a very nice guy over the years and I wouldn't force him to do something he'd prefer not to even though he is legally obligated to do so.

I run all my OLL's through you-know-who up in Sacramento or through the guys over at Irvington.

philthy209
02-27-2008, 7:01 AM
That is true-- I asked if I could get some more shipped in to him, I didn't ask him to do a PPT on an OLL.

I don't know if I'd put him on the spot for a PPT just out of courtesy. Gary's always been a very nice guy over the years and I wouldn't force him to do something he'd prefer not to even though he is legally obligated to do so.

I run all my OLL's through you-know-who up in Sacramento or through the guys over at Irvington.

I agree this is why i didn't press the issue. He runs a good little shop just wish he would entertain the idea of OLL's.