PDA

View Full Version : Handle material

Tom-ADC
01-27-2014, 8:37 AM
I going to clean up a old knife it had the leather rings but whats the thoughts on using hard wood rings for a replacement? Any thoughts on should they be glued together? What finish to use.

Whiterabbit
01-27-2014, 10:21 AM
no thoughts on using hardwood as a replacement, but if I were to proceed, I would glue the rings with titebond 2 or 3 wood glue (aka normal woodglue) and finish with a polymerizing oil like tru oil, BLO, or Tung oil. many many coats.

I don't like polys, and laquers require the patience of a saint.

Tom-ADC
01-27-2014, 10:28 AM
I have a few strips 1/4 x 4 x 36 of walnut and maple and a couple of others I bought from Rocklers a while back wood is stablized and since I also have a large selection of hole saws making the blacks shouldn't be a problem.

Blademan21
01-27-2014, 1:21 PM
For glueing wood disks I'd use K&Gs two part epoxy. The best on the market for glueing knife handles. It has a cure time but worth the wait. They will be at the Knife Expo I think. They are based out of Az.
Might think of a solid tube/square of wood sinse you have various saws. As long as you are able to tighten down the end cap.
For leather washers we would use a leather punch for punching leather rounds. A punch to punch the center out. We'd tighten the end cap down and place the handle blade up in a jar of varnish over night. Next day we would belt sand to shape and polish on a buffer. The varnish acted like a glue on the leather washers and helped get a mirror polish when buffing. Careful if you buff to keep the handle moving as to not burn the leather. Good luck with which ever handle to attach.

Whiterabbit
01-27-2014, 1:28 PM
can you tell me a little about the punches? I want to punch thin cloth (.009") at home into large circles, roughly 1.25-1.35 inches diameter. I'd like to punch them out by the hundred (spend an hour or couple hours after my son goes to bed, end up with a hundred or so).

I tried turning my own punch and it was a failure. If leather workers can do it, then I should, but I just don't know what kind of tooling I need nor how to use it.

Can you give me a quickie primer? is it straightforward and cheap to do what I want to do?

Blademan21
01-27-2014, 1:51 PM
can you tell me a little about the punches? I want to punch thin cloth (.009") at home into large circles, roughly 1.25-1.35 inches diameter. I'd like to punch them out by the hundred (spend an hour or couple hours after my son goes to bed, end up with a hundred or so).

I tried turning my own punch and it was a failure. If leather workers can do it, then I should, but I just don't know what kind of tooling I need nor how to use it.

Can you give me a quickie primer? is it straightforward and cheap to do what I want to do?

Google the size of punch you need as a "leather punch". We used the end of a 6X6 about 2 ft. long on edge. Can't punch leather on a hard work bench,you will damage the punch. Cheaper than having a die made to use in a clicker.

Whiterabbit
01-27-2014, 1:56 PM
ok, something like this?

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/tools/archpunches.jpg

And punch into endgrain wood? can I use a hard endgrain like walnut? hard workbenches are side grain. I have a plug of walnut at home ready to go already.

Finally, is there a local source to buy a punch like this? I don't like buying tools (even like this one) online.

Blademan21
01-27-2014, 2:13 PM
ok, something like this?

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/tools/archpunches.jpg

And punch into endgrain wood? can I use a hard endgrain like walnut? hard workbenches are side grain. I have a plug of walnut at home ready to go already.

Finally, is there a local source to buy a punch like this? I don't like buying tools (even like this one) online.

Try a Tandy store in your area. Might have to special order your size,more money that way. Think of using a surface like for striking a bullet puller. Not too hard like concrete,that with wear out the edge of your punch. Good luck.

Tom-ADC
01-27-2014, 4:14 PM
Lots of good info I'll check Tandy out also.

Tom-ADC
01-28-2014, 7:06 AM
I'm playing with the second from the right. It had the worst handle but blade wasn't to bad, I'm soaking the pommel with hopes it will come apart per the video I found.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/12528757/408624114.jpg

Tom-ADC
01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Well the best laid plans etc etc I found a place that has the leather washers like came on it for a reasonable price, so going to use leather!!