PDA

View Full Version : To sell or not to sell?

Eagle87Tango
02-25-2008, 5:09 AM
Thinking about selling my sporterized mosin nagant 91/30 to buy something of a smaller caliber. Something with a little more accessible ammo that won't leave my shoulder sore after an afternoon of shooting. Unfortunately I had to drill out the stubborn rear sights to put in a scope mount.

What do you guys think?

Ballistic043
02-25-2008, 5:35 AM
that sucks to hear you're getting rid of it. i've only had mine for a month and I love it. it is extremely accurate and makes loud booms every time.

but really, there is nagant ammunition all over the internet. surplus or commercial, light ball, heavy ball, whatever your gun likes better. the only problem of course, shipping cost. its also available in some stores locally, and most gun shows regionally.

as far as hurting your arm. nagant rounds are cumbersome and the metal stock plate intimidating, but theres nothing drastically different or powerful about the nagant rounds. im not sure how you are shouldering the rifle, but if youre jamming it into your arm like an elephant gun, it will definitely mess you up.

zcktomcat
02-25-2008, 8:20 AM
When I fire 200 grain wolf bullets out of my nagant it can leave my shoulder sore. The steel butt plate on the stock probably doesn't help.

easy
02-25-2008, 8:56 AM
Buy a small slip-on recoil pad. No more sore shoulder, ammo will still be cheap.

Full Clip
02-25-2008, 9:38 AM
Buy a small slip-on recoil pad. No more sore shoulder, ammo will still be cheap.
+1 :)

Eagle87Tango
02-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I think when it comes right down to it I'm looking for something a little cleaner and newer. I've had my fun with this rifle.

zcktomcat
02-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Unless you get corrosive ammo, it'd be cheaper to just get a .223, plus you can buy it without having to go online to get a deal. Don't get me wrong I love my Mosin, but its pretty unwieldy and semi-auto=more fun per minute.

jandmtv
02-26-2008, 1:22 AM
aww, dont get ride of the mosin, i have a sporter 91/30 myself, im working on a little project to see how much accuracy i can get out of it. I loaded and shot David Tubbs final finish out of it, and im thinking of getting it recrowned to see how small my groups get. After the recrowning, im going to work up a load using .311 dia sierra 174 grain matchkings.

keep it, and have fun with it. its a cheap rifle to experiment with.

Eagle87Tango
02-26-2008, 1:24 AM
Unless you get corrosive ammo, it'd be cheaper to just get a .223, plus you can buy it without having to go online to get a deal. Don't get me wrong I love my Mosin, but its pretty unwieldy and semi-auto=more fun per minute.

I was just looking at the keltec su-16ca. I was pretty much sold on it but then I saw several pics of one that blew up on the shooter and decided no. I would love to get an AR, but I'm afraid I wouldn't maintain it well enough. That's why I love bolt actions. They brake down into two or three pieces.

I guess the jist of it is, can anyone suggest a cheap, easy to maintain AR? Preferably complete.

zcktomcat
02-26-2008, 2:28 AM
All AR's are pretty much the same level of easiness to maintain. And hey even the AR's aren't immune to blowing up.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=70654

Eagle87Tango
02-26-2008, 2:54 AM
All AR's are pretty much the same level of easiness to maintain. And hey even the AR's aren't immune to blowing up.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=70654

I see in your sig that you have a kel tec, how does it treat ya?

zcktomcat
02-26-2008, 3:18 AM
It's a fine rifle. I just got it so I haven't gotten a chance to really test its reliability. From what I've read on Kel-tec forums though they are pretty reliable with most ammunition. All in all its a fun, very light plinking gun. My AR is substantially more accurate though, but the upper cost as much as the entire su-16. If you want an AR check the private firearms section. I saw one for around 700 bucks. Either way you can't go wrong in my opinion. You get utility out of a SU-16 with its folding stock, detachable AR mags, and light weight. With the AR for some more money, you can essentially do whatever you want to do with the gun (except have detachable mags and pistol grip in the PRK).

Eagle87Tango
02-26-2008, 4:00 AM
I think I'm gonna go for a target plinker. .22LR or .17 something. In the past I would normally say "No way, I need a kick." But at this point I need affordability above all.

zcktomcat
02-26-2008, 4:08 AM
10 bucks for 500 rounds of 22lr you'll shoot all day. :)

Eagle87Tango
02-26-2008, 4:12 AM
Ohhh that sounds great.