PDA

View Full Version : panoche hills

jcaoloveshine
02-25-2008, 12:33 AM
how is panoche hills for small rifle shooting? im planning on just bringing a couple 22s up there for a fun afternoon of plinking. is it just open public land or are there designated shooting areas?

s2000news
02-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Was there today. Seems to be a great place to shoot.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/panoche_tumeys.html#Overview

You will want a map of the place, if you find one, let me know! Haha I guess the map will have to be purchased, but at the main gate, they have a box with maps, but today it was empty.

Anyone who has one of those maps, willing to scan it and PM me a link?

jcaoloveshine
02-25-2008, 12:51 AM
how do they manage their shooting areas so that accidents dont happen (eg: ensuring that you wont accidentally hit someone else a few hundred yards away who you might not see), and is it legal to shoot anywhere in panoche or those hills?

s2000news
02-25-2008, 12:57 AM
To be honest, I am unsure. I hope someone who has shot there will speak up. I was there today for the first time, and was only on a scouting mission, no weapons with me. (Long guns that is. :) )

The area does seem like a great place to shoot. The rules of where you can drive are no more than 15 feet from the road, so you won't go far off on your own. I assume shooting is almost always just off the road, so you can't get into any cross fire issues.

I saw one person shooting, and it was close to the road, against a massive man made dirt wall as a backstop.

A second trip I hope will sum up your question. But from what I see, it is a safe location.

jcaoloveshine
02-25-2008, 1:03 AM
hows it look? ive seen some pics of panoche in the spring and it looks pretty nice.

also, would a standard sedan be ok for the driving?

s2000news
02-25-2008, 1:18 AM
hows it look? ive seen some pics of panoche in the spring and it looks pretty nice.

also, would a standard sedan be ok for the driving?

It looks good. Fairly clean from the areas I was in. Green hills mostly.

You should be okay, based on what I saw today. I was in a 4x4 Silverado and slapped in into 4x4 for kicks. Slid around alot, but no risk of getting stuck. As long as you go slow you are fine. I did see some real nice tire tracks where someone got a bit frisky in a few large puddles, but that was by choice.

I did see 4 other trucks, no cars once you hit the dirt/mud however.

jcaoloveshine
02-25-2008, 1:25 AM
It looks good. Fairly clean from the areas I was in. Green hills mostly.

You should be okay, based on what I saw today. I was in a 4x4 Silverado and slapped in into 4x4 for kicks. Slid around alot, but no risk of getting stuck. As long as you go slow you are fine. I did see some real nice tire tracks where someone got a bit frisky in a few large puddles, but that was by choice.

I did see 4 other trucks, no cars once you hit the dirt/mud however.

how far in are you allowed to shoot? just anywhere in the hills? is there any varminting there?

thanks. im planning a get together with some close friends over spring break when we'll probably take a whole day to drive 2 hours south to panoche.

JayRuff
02-25-2008, 1:47 AM
I am also considering driving down there, but I don't want to risk taking my Sedan, I probably will head out there with a friend

JayRuff
02-25-2008, 2:35 AM
See this thread for pictures, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=87207

I guess Sedans should be ok when the ground is dry, I'm going out there March 15, Hopefully the weather will be nice by then

CavTrooper
02-25-2008, 2:59 AM
Clean up if you go shoot there!

Pick up your own and anyone elses trash!

Turbinator
02-26-2008, 4:28 PM
Clean up if you go shoot there!

Pick up your own and anyone elses trash!

+1 absolute requirement if you opt to use Panoche as your shooting spot.

Turby

jcaoloveshine
02-26-2008, 10:20 PM
so how is the drive up? is it smooth or are there some pretty steep or difficult spots?