View Full Version : AR-15 A2 Flash Hider Legal In California

02-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm building a Cal Legal AR using the prince 50 mag lock. I bought my Stag Lower and I'm looking to buy a complete Stag upper kit (see link below). Is the A2 Flash Hider legal in California? Another option someone told me about is from model1sales.com where they weld a muzzle break on which I'm not crazy about.

Thanks in advance,

02-24-2008, 10:40 PM
It is legal on a semi-auto rifle with a fixed 10 round magazine.

02-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Alright, thats good to hear. I have one 10 round magazine.

02-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Flash hiders or muzzle brakes do not have to be welded to your 2HT as it already has a legal 16" length barrel. It only needs to be permanently welded if you are using a shorter barrelled upper and need to make the overall length of the barrel to the federally legal 16 inches with a flash hider or muzzle brake extension.

The A2 on the 2HT uppercan be unscrewed and replaced with another type of flash hider or muzzle brake if you wish. Muzzle brakes are completely legal to add to any detachable-magazine centerfire rifle.

02-24-2008, 11:19 PM
You should really understand WHY it's legal.

Please read through this thread here:

Then understand the steps of law that make it legal here:

In case you're ever questioned it's VERY important you understand these.

02-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the information. I really like the flow chart. I'll have to read through the other link in detail tomorrow.

02-25-2008, 8:08 AM
The US Army, and by default the US Government, calls the A2 muzzle device a "compensator".

By name, it is NOT a flash hider.

The Calli law does not define any physical characteristic of a flash hider, only that it is a device that diverts the flash from the shooters vision.

Make a flash hider, call it a compensator, and you are legal.

02-26-2008, 7:03 AM
Nice one Army, I like your way of thinking. I'll call it a compensator from here on out. Thanks for the education.

02-26-2008, 9:59 AM
The million dollar question is what is the CA DOJ or the CA Courts' interpretation of the A2 compensator? Has there been any ruling on this particular issue? I'm curious if this issue has been litigated or previously defined.

I recalled that when I was in boot camp with USMC it was also called it a compensator, but, the CA DOJ or Courts' definition is the one we need to be aware of, especially those building rifles to accommodate detatchable mags.

02-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Nice one Army, I like your way of thinking. I'll call it a compensator from here on out. Thanks for the education.

Please discount the above. I like Army, but that is a very very aggressive position that should be avoided (unless you are using a flash hider with a fixed mag).

Don't just try to call it a compensator and use it on a gripless/MonsterMan build.

You indeed may well have a defendable case (apparently DOJ staff thinks even sunglasses hanging off your muzzle could be a flash hider!) but since A2s are commonly known to have some flash reduction properties sometimes, you may have to do some dancing to convince a court it's not an evil feature.

FHs are an element of current Hunt v. Lockyer (now Hunt v. Brown) litigation. Until lotsa things are settled, don't push this.

I recommend folks NOT have flash hiders (or whatever you wanna call 'em)
simply because it reduces flexibility of configuration of the rifle. Without a FH installed, you can move that upper from a fixed-mag build to a gripless MonsterMan build. Use a true muzzle brake or a fake FH or get a bbl with a bare muzzle (or use a thread protector cap on a threaded bbl).

02-06-2010, 9:33 AM
I have recently built my ar15 with the CMMG Lower Receiver.
Thank You!

03-28-2010, 8:52 AM
Bwiese: Your answer is among the best I have seen on this A-2 legal issue regarding the flash hider/compensator issue. Time and time again you see manufactures list there A-2 with a Flash Hider. A DA will enter that little piece of information into the Court record and your a dead goose.

Best defence is not to have that lovely thing on the end of the barrel. Why is it needed for most shooters, we are NOT in combat. Bare barrels are the way to avoid the question?

California does not need more bad law, eliminate the excuse to be in front of the Court. Bullet buttons, bare barrels & ten rd. mags = life is good. That's a very humble opinion.